Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Where do we go from here? (Read 3543 times)
5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Where do we go from here?
Sep 3rd, 2017 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Quadruple triple completionist, then what?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Re: Where do we go from here?
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Then the servers go dark.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
It's going to depend on if they pull off Ravenloft or not.  If they continue to develop new systems, a TR based weapon and gear system would be the smart move for them.

It's the direction I would have recommended them to go 3 years ago.  Each TR unlocks a new piece of gear and each TR unlocks new features for existing gear.

Not sure if that's what sentient weapons will be - but if they had a clue about the game, the smartest move would be to make upgrades closely associated with quest packs.  Certain features would only be unlocked by running the final chapter of a pack.  You want ghostbane on that weapon?  Finish necro 3 to get the ings.

This approach would both sell lower selling packs and breath some life into the game outside of the hardcore grinders running the same 10 quests over and over to TR in days.

Of course, this would also require a splash of fresh paint on the older packs.  Restless isles really needs to suck much, much less.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Clearly from here you start obsessively collecting every rare item in the game.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Do a naked life.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 1:05pm:
Clearly from here you start obsessively collecting every rare item in the game.

This. And if you happened to destroy your Starter Rags somewhere down the line, then you must delete your character, start over, and collect those rags again since you ain't ever getting a new pair.

...Seriously though, do people actually have the unending patience/bottomless wallets necessary to get 3 Iconic, 3 Racial, 3 Heroic, and 3 of every Epic life? If I did the math correctly (and assuming that for every Iconic PL, you also get a Heroic PL), then that's a little bit more than 100 past lives. That's either thousands of hours wasted or thousands of dollars wasted just for this single game.

I like the TR system precisely because it's something of a pipe dream to get 3 of every single life, and thus DDO becomes effectively a never-ending game that I can return to whenever (not that I would really want to these days though). To actually attain that goal of 3 of every life either requires some autistic-levels of obsession with the game or addictive spending habits devoted to this game. I couldn't imagine doing that, but I'd imagine that if I ever completed that, then I'd just quit DDO or at least take a hiatus until Turbine releases other systems in the game to focus on.

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
No money required ..... oodles of time and constant friends to run with = tr's that sail by. The only knobends who spend thousands are those who don't have the friends.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Jelly_Muffin wrote on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 7:08pm:
No money required ..... oodles of time and constant friends to run with = tr's that sail by. The only knobends who spend thousands are those who don't have the friends.

Are you referring to thousands of dollars, or thousands of hours? Because I will dispute anyone who argues that getting triple everything doesn't require thousands of hours of playtime.

Even assuming you're some TAS-speedrunning wizkid at DDO, that's still going to take you thousands of hours of playtime if you're not abusing Otto's boxes.

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 3:24pm:
Do a naked life.

I've heard that there are good LULZ to be had in Naked Tempest Spine runs.

Skoodge wrote on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 12:12pm:
outside of the hardcore grinders running the same 10 quests over and over to TR in days.

Clearly I'm doing it wrong, because if there were 10 quest to grind, I'd be doing that.

Fuck it.

I'm too lazy.

Never mind.

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Magneto
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Clean your banktoons with outdated items.
Farm some ings for next classreleases.
Wait for le shroudruns...
Thats what im doing in 3 weeks  Grin

IP Logged

Starkjade
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Rogue Scholar

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 3:51am
Print Post  
I'll be lookin' for that
blue jean
baby queen

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm shitfaced

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #11 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Quote:
Are you referring to thousands of dollars, or thousands of hours? Because I will dispute anyone who argues that getting triple everything doesn't require thousands of hours of playtime.

Even assuming you're some TAS-speedrunning wizkid at DDO, that's still going to take you thousands of hours of playtime if you're not abusing Otto's boxes.

I was talking dollars ...... playing DDO for years is obviously going to add up to thousands of hours and those thousands of hours will equal triple this that and whatever

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #12 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Magneto wrote on Sep 4th, 2017 at 2:56am:
Clean your banktoons with outdated items.

I highly recommend taking the time to run favor on your banking toon, if you haven't already, to double your inventory/bank space.

Wasted a day's worth of play* to do it, but swear having everything (after selling a bunch of worthless crap**) on a single toon instead of spread out over 5 toons was one of the most satisfying achievements I've accomplished in game over the past two months.

* a day's worth of play, obviously, being subjective.  I think I had 3 hours to play with that day.  Would have been quicker if I could have found a VoN group to pike on.
** all the old shit is worthless now, really.  Fucking bags full of worthless seals and scrolls I'll never use and wouldn't be able to find a buyer for even if I could sell them all.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
...Seriously though, do people actually have the unending patience/bottomless wallets necessary to get 3 Iconic, 3 Racial, 3 Heroic, and 3 of every Epic life? If I did the math correctly (and assuming that for every Iconic PL, you also get a Heroic PL), then that's a little bit more than 100 past lives. That's either thousands of hours wasted or thousands of dollars wasted just for this single game.

I like the TR system precisely because it's something of a pipe dream to get 3 of every single life, and thus DDO becomes effectively a never-ending game that I can return to whenever (not that I would really want to these days though). To actually attain that goal of 3 of every life either requires some autistic-levels of obsession with the game or addictive spending habits devoted to this game. I couldn't imagine doing that, but I'd imagine that if I ever completed that, then I'd just quit DDO or at least take a hiatus until Turbine releases other systems in the game to focus on.

The TR system rolled out...almost 8 years ago? There are now 108 lives to run. If you averaged them out, it's almost a month per life. That's a pretty leisurely pace to do it completely above board.

I don't expect anyone has bought 108 lives, but many people have bought a few and you're also ignoring the fact that some people have augmented their xp under the table.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I guess it's just hard for me to fathom retaining a consistent interest in a single game for over 8 years. Even averaging a month per life, that's 8 years of dealing with idiotic design choices from Turbine and running the same quests on almost a weekly basis. I've been a player since 2010 and for at least the past five years, I've been unwilling to stick around for more than a few months at most, before taking a break for another few months or so. All in all, I think I have around 30 past lives in total, which isn't set to increase any time soon.

I also just realized that there's also the technicality that Racial reincarnation wasn't released until 6 months ago, meaning you technically had more like 7 years to grind out 78 lives, and if you're a racial completionist, then you've ground out 30 racial lives within the past 6 months. So if you're a racial completionist, that's an average of 6 days per life since then. Surely, at least that's a level of obsessive addiction to the game, no?
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2017 at 12:19pm by »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #15 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Nobody needs all those PL's.  Please.  The obsessive part is the part where you decide you need to spend 7 years of your life collecting every possible PL the game offers.  When half of them add no value to your character.  Or extremely nominal value not worth the time investment.

I've enjoyed this game for 9 years because A) I take breaks.  B) I don't need or want every PL on every character  C) I spend long stretches of time at cap and raiding and doing other things besides PL's. 

Oh.  and D) I have some really cool people I hang out with when I do play.  Great folks that are fun to spend time with. 

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 6th, 2017 at 3:05pm:
Nobody needs all those PL's.

If you want to get technical, nobody "needs" to TR at all. Nobody actually needs to play video games.

The point is TRing is fun and the past lives give it actual value beyond "new game +"

That said, I think 5 Foot may have jumped the gun a bit by getting racial completionist so damn quick Tongue I think he did 30 lives in the time it takes me to do 2.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint