Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Evidence devs have no idea how Trees work (Read 958 times)
bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Evidence devs have no idea how Trees work
Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
from Torc today on Druid Preview discussion:
Quote:
6. Primal Avatar Haven't made any big decisions here yet but we are exploring making the spirit decay rate work differently. Right now it feels like only a warlock or someone using a combination of spell based attacks with melee can even get this ability going. Since we have to do a pass on it we're at the very least going to try to make it more accessible.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Re: Evidence devs have no idea how Trees work
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
that is actually good news, in a way. well, sort of, because i expected nothing but a nerf to animations. animations being included on tree cleaves would have to be slow enough to matter, since how it works is now that the attack rate is tied to the cooldowns.

currently 5 second cooldowns on cleave, great cleave, and whirlwind attack, gives trees a rough rate of 3 every 5~ seconds. the attacks are performed as fast as button pushing allows. you can test this by hitting an action boost and performing 4 rotations of cleave/great cleave/ whirlwind before 20 second boost timer expires.

if they were to implement an animation similar to the basic attack that the trees were nerfed with the first time around, then that would completely gut the build by halving the dps at best, or quartering the dps at worst. the devs wouldnt suddenly raise the dps of tree by the appropriate amount to balance this out. you wont see tree crit for 60k non-helpless, if they were to half the dps by nerfing rotation times.

If they are really tinkering with the spirit accumulation and decay rates, then that could off-set the rotation time nerfs by enabling tree form uptime. right now trees get around 45~ seconds of uptime ( more depending on if tree is attacking, or less if sitting with only aura on ). they don't have to increase the rate of acquiring spirit, but slowing the decay could achieve a desirable outcome if tree form gets an enormous uptime of around 2 minutes instead of the 45~ it has now.

i mean, we all know they are going to fucking butcher the builds and leave primal avatar as another victim of there being very few Epic Destinies that are good.  but, maybe one of the devs realize this and decide to do the right thing for build diversity and active combat, areas where trees are now.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:16pm by Rubbinns »  

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Re: Evidence devs have no idea how Trees work
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
bob the builder wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 5:36pm:
from Torc today on Druid Preview discussion:
6. Primal Avatar Haven't made any big decisions here yet but we are exploring making the spirit decay rate work differently. Right now it feels like only a warlock or someone using a combination of spell based attacks with melee can even get this ability going. Since we have to do a pass on it we're at the very least going to try to make it more accessible.

I mean this is kind of spot on. Cleric, Warlock and Wiz have auras. They want everyone to be able to use it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint