Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Melee Instakiller (Read 5231 times)
Symbiont
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Melee Instakiller
Apr 13th, 2018 at 9:03am
Print Post  
So, while there are a multitude of builds that have an arsenal of insta-killing abilities, almost none of them are melee: outside of bourgeois assassins and Quivering Palm-specced Monks (honorable mention to visage barbarians), there's almost nothing in the melee spectrum that specializes in a wide array of instakills that is even slightly reminiscent of the tumultuous arsenal of crowd/champion-wrecking spells at a well-specced DC caster's disposal. However, assuming a certain ability can be used in tandem with several others, there's possible potential for a melee instakiller to exceed the efficiency of that of their caster counterparts.

As Dance of Death relays melee damage to four enemies at once, the million-dollar question is, can Dance of Death cause Quivering Palm, Dismissing Strike, and Executioner's Strike to hit four mobs at once? If anyone can test this on any build to see if this is the case, this could open the door to a build that could potentially devastate entire crowds of mobs at once.

15 Monk 5 Ranger PDK TWF w/Shortswords

As I'm not entirely sure if this build would even work (the entire premise hinges on the fact that Dance of Death works with these attacks), I'm not going to list a breakdown of gear, feats, or stats. However, as PDK add 1/3 of their Charisma Modifier to DCs, 1/2 of their Int through KTA, and 1/2 of their Wisdom through it being the relative stat for monk abilities, you synergize 3 different stats simultaneously to empower your DCs; this means that a three-digit Quivering Palm DC is probable with optimized gear. Maximize the amount of accuracy on-hit so you don't graze on essential strikes.

In Shadowdancer, you would have all of these insta-kills at your disposal:

Quivering Palm
Executioner's Strike
Dismissing Strike
Consume (implosion)
Shadow Manipulation (charm, with an instakill at the end of its duration)

As Quivering Palm can be used every 6 seconds, you are consistently obliterating crowds of mobs; in certain quests such as Grim and Barrett, Dismissing Strike/Executioner's Strike literally erases an entire pack of champions before they even reach you. Outside of speccing for instakills, you still retain a generous amount of damage versus bosses and Death Ward champions. In terms of gear, maxing Dexterity/Intelligence/Charisma/Wisdom (primarily wisdom) are all essential, as each of these fuels the DCs of a different insta-kill ability.

Additional miscellaneous benefits:

As your DCs are specialized to be so impossibly high to land Quivering Palm, your tactical DCs will hover around 140-150; with an investment into Shintao, you are able to inflict Jade Strike (+25% vulnerability) to all mobs in front of you with Dance of Death active - and CC any 4 mobs simultaneously for 30 seconds each with Tomb of Jade.

Path of Inevitable Dominion (Dark Monk) finishers. Since you're centered and a Dark Monk, with DCs that would require mobs to literally hack infinite saves on their phantasmal character sheets to save, you can utilize additional means of CC through these combinations of attacks; Air - Dark - Air blinds all mobs you're attacking with Dance of Death, Water - Dark - Water Paralyzes everything in front of you, and Earth - Dark - Earth, most importantly, inflicts Pain Touch, which makes afflicted mobs move at half speed, cannot attack, and cannot cast.

This character quite literally becomes everything a DC caster can be, at once, but under the assumption that Dance of Death works with all of this.

If anyone has the resources or character split to answer the million-dollar question, I'll take this post several steps further.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2018 at 1:41pm by Symbiont »  

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Re: Melee Instakiller
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
DoD worked with Fists of Light and Executioner's Strike as well as the Elemental Ki Strikes like Fist of Iron.

Should work with QP and Dark monk finishers.

Been idly considering Wis builds ala 1FVS/1Ftr/18Monk and monstrosities like 9FVS/9Monk/2Ftr with VKF, SS or Q-Staff.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Did they add gear bonuses to dark finishers?

IP Logged

dragblood
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 2:39am
Print Post  
DoD works with anything with a normal attack animation

IP Logged

dragblood
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 2:40am
Print Post  
a guildie of mine ran that build a couple years ago it works OK

IP Logged

JK_Seren
Korthos Resident

Suck my enchilada.

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Just tested with a lvl 15 PDK monk/ranger, DoD works and I managed to encase up to 3 mobs with Tomb in one swing. Never managed 4, maybe arc is too small. Other enhancements seem to work too, from Tempest tree and monk trees. Monk finishers also work, was able to multiple-blind 3 targets with one swing. Using shortswords and ninja.

Could not test QP and of course destiny stuff.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
this is a 4 stat monstrosity worthy of Tilo but I like where your head is at.

Looked into it for Bard ranged assassin thrower and you can't really get Executioner DC high enough to be relevant in content where trash is an issue. It's like 37+Int/Dex Mod I think (not sure if they ever fixed the shadow charges to stack up to 7). Also DC on Consume s garbagio too if I recall correctly though I would love to be wrong on this. 
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:28pm by harharharhar »  

IP Logged

Bandman
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Tempest says Your basic attacks when dual wielding strike 2/3/4 targets per swing instead of one for 10 seconds....  WAI?  Probably not.  Worth a few months of fun?  Definitely.

IP Logged

Symbiont
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Mokune wrote on Apr 13th, 2018 at 3:47pm:
DoD worked with Fists of Light and Executioner's Strike as well as the Elemental Ki Strikes like Fist of Iron.

dragblood wrote on Apr 15th, 2018 at 2:39am:
DoD works with anything with a normal attack animation

JK_Seren wrote on Apr 15th, 2018 at 6:48pm:
Just tested with a lvl 15 PDK monk/ranger, DoD works and I managed to encase up to 3 mobs with Tomb in one swing. Never managed 4, maybe arc is too small. Other enhancements seem to work too, from Tempest tree and monk trees. Monk finishers also work, was able to multiple-blind 3 targets with one swing. Using shortswords and ninja.

This is all extremely good to know. Since it's 99% confirmed that this split works (need final concrete proof that Quivering Palm, in the game's current state, will work - which I'll test later), I'll eventually work on making a spreadsheet on it. However, I have to refarm everything for an extremely ancient character, so I'm not entirely sure when I'll be in a position to post it at 100% optimization. I genuinely can't place an accurate ETA, but I hope I'll make something out of it in 6 weeks.

harharharhar wrote on Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:28pm:
Looked into it for Bard ranged assassin thrower and you can't really get Executioner DC high enough to be relevant in content where trash is an issue. It's like 37+Int/Dex Mod I think (not sure if they ever fixed the shadow charges to stack up to 7). Also DC on Consume s garbagio too if I recall correctly though I would love to be wrong on this. 

I've been hearing an influx of things about this. From what I've gathered, the DCs on each of those abilities doesn't "work properly", if you can even put it in that context; either the save on each is somewhat different than a straight Fortitude, scales up quite a bit higher than specified, or is just straight garbage. If it ends up being mediocre, this split will probably end up running GMoF for much more DCs and Everything is Nothing. I hope this does work well enough to be reliably utilized, but I'll anticipate a worst-case scenario.
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2018 at 3:06pm by Symbiont »  

IP Logged

roach
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
PDK starts with 1 level fighter correct?

IP Logged

Symbiont
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
roach wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
PDK starts with 1 level fighter correct?

Yep, you'd need to +1 LR to get the fighter level off. Costly, but a worthwhile investment for +10~ DCs.

IP Logged

roach
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Cant wait to see this build.

IP Logged

Symbiont
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Just confirmed that Quivering Palm does not work with Dance of Death. While every other attack - including monk finishers - are relayed to 4 mobs at once, Quivering Palm works only on the first mob struck, and deals only standard damage to the other 3 without the instakill. So much for creativity in context  Sad

IP Logged

JK_Seren
Korthos Resident

Suck my enchilada.

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Sucks. Are you still planning on building this?

IP Logged

Mokune
Shroud Slacker

Gimped Hairless Ape

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Depending on your TR goals, play-style, group style, etc etc the synergies with DoD are numerous.

I cannot recall exactly the build/split I used (some Ranger/Cleric/Monk monstrosity) but DoD+Ameliorating Strike can yield several procs of the Healing, and DoD +Fists of Light curse on packs of mobs with Cleave/GCleave produced an astonishing stream of +3-+6 procs. 

This was before Reaper though and over-kill for HE/EE but for Low to Mid reaper could be significant /shrug.

Welcome to your sexually transmitted death sentence served in a shit-machine meat suit.

IP Logged

Symbiont
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Mokune wrote on Apr 24th, 2018 at 8:08am:
Depending on your TR goals, play-style, group style, etc etc the synergies with DoD are numerous.

I cannot recall exactly the build/split I used (some Ranger/Cleric/Monk monstrosity) but DoD+Ameliorating Strike can yield several procs of the Healing, and DoD +Fists of Light curse on packs of mobs with Cleave/GCleave produced an astonishing stream of +3-+6 procs. 

This was before Reaper though and over-kill for HE/EE but for Low to Mid reaper could be significant /shrug.

DoD + Ameliorating Strike is something I enjoyed very much back in the day before Blitz was nerfed - particularly on an unarmed light monk (conveniently what you referenced  Smiley). The sheer amount of procs is utterly ludicrous, but I doubt it'll have too much of a position in the nowdays meta. If it can heal through the reaper debuff, this might be something maybe worth looking into. Even despite all of this, a dedicated healer can do pretty much the same thing with a Cure Critical, Mass - and it'd cost you a hefty AP investment (and thus, lots of dps) to match it on a melee. If Warpriest ever gets revamped and this gets placed lower in the tree, I'll necro this post.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint