Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tell me about soloing on melee (Read 26363 times)
Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Tell me about soloing on melee
Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
How do you do it on difficult content? Elite or low skulls.

(Context, I'm currently on a 8druid/6barb/6cleric PDK sylvanius wolf) I have a few pieces of L RL gear, but I'm working on more. I'm using Morninglord Maul with 4 piece beast mantle filigrees (don't have prowess yet.. also don't have a 5th slot yet. Just getting back into things) I think armor I'm using blackdragonscale. I haven't looked if heavy Thunderforge armor would work with druid. EDIT: Looks like it would and would be defensively a lot better. So, I'll whip some up soon. I have the mats

Sometimes I'm dumb and make it hard for myself. I was running LE into the mists the other day on my melee solo. I got murdered by wolves. Tripped and buh bye.

I realized two obvious things. First, I only had 25% fort... I must have done some gear shuffling and missed that.. Woops. lol.

Second, I wasn't using displace. I mean... duh. I only have two displace clickies on my main (but I forgot to use them)... I realize that if I'm going to run melee a lot, I need like 5. So, I have some shard farming to do, I think. Does anyone use scrolls? Sounds kinda terrible.

So, part of the answer is: Git guud aka don't play like a complete moron. Part of it is more PRR. I can't recall the number he has. But, it blocks over 50% damage. I can get more, of course, but it won't be huge. Is doing the whole combat expertise/imp CE worth it?

I saw a pure barb last night steamrolling LE Ravenloft hardly taking damage. He had twisted both tiers of consecration and was popping it in the middle of packs of mobs and using his LOH from aasimar to supplement. It seemed to work REALLY well. I had never thought of that. Plus it was healing all the melee. So, he was blitzing but then popping cons. for heals. Nice.

I've been playing with HAMP+Vampirism+Healing Spring+Barb metabolism. Working ok. Since I'm running a barb split atm and raging, I can't cocoon.

Other ideas?

On Blitz, do people do dodge or PRR?

I'd especially like to know solo melee Reaper tips.

One more question: Solo melee CC. I think maybe Dire Charge? How do people get their DCs up for that? Can you break down an effective DC for a moron?

K thx

(I should rename this post: "Teach me to play my build plox")
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2019 at 1:00pm by Head-Meat »  

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Re: Tell me about soloing on melee
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Good DPS, layered defenses, strong self-heals, reliable CC. In that order.

Head-Meat wrote on Jan 9th, 2019 at 12:41pm:
On Blitz, do people do dodge or PRR?

Always PRR. Maxing out your dodge is still an important part of your layered defenses, but getting it through blitz is a waste because it is easy to max out in other ways. (Note that if it bypassed your dodge/dex cap, getting dodge from blitz would be great, but it doesn't so it's not)

I'd especially like to know solo melee Reaper tips.

Low skulls is the same tactics as elite, you're just tying one hand behind your back. If you have a lot of reaper points you get some consolation prize there. You also get a bunch of free SP. And you occasionally die to the random unlucky clump of reapers that spawn at once.

Don't solo melee high skulls.

One more question: Solo melee CC. I think maybe Dire Charge? How do people get their DCs up for that? Can you break down an effective DC for a moron?

Dire Charge is great for almost every melee build.

Dire Charge DC
Base 20
Main stat 30
Knight Training/KTA/DI/DM 10
Stunning 20
Quality 4
Insight 6
Fighter PLs 3
Tactical Combatant 4
Tactical Mastery 6
Legendary Tactics 6
=109 vs Fort

Trip DC
Base 10
Str 15 (14 base, 8 enhancement, 2 profane, 1 exceptional, 2 completionist, 2 reaper, 7 tome, 2 ship, 2 AP)
KTA/DI/DM 10
Vertigo 20
Quality 4
Insight 6
Fighter PLs 3
Tactical Combatant 4
Tactical Mastery 6
Legendary Tactics 6
=84 vs str/dex

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Meld into darkness. (Shadowdancer t3 twist.) 100% Dodge clicky.
Balanced attacks. (Primal Avatar t3 twist.) Helpless damage on vorpal.
Thick skin. (Legendary dreadnought core.) 25% reduced damage taken.

Make endgame gear your priority IMO. No shame in running hard. I've started a new account before and gear was the number one thing.

FFS has some good points.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Gear is huge. I agree with Bint. Do what you gotta do to get Silent Avenger + Adherent of the Mists before you try to solo something challenging.

Most of it is not hard to get though. You might start with a list like this: (and then swap in raid gear, etc as you get it.)

Legendary Executioner's Helm (Helmet): Insightful Deception +7, Relentless Fury, Seeker 17, Green Augment Slot, Against the Slave Lords Set Bonus
Legendary Reflective Bloodstone (Necklace): Illusion Focus +8, Quality Illusion Focus +1, Spell Penetration VIII, Magical Sheltering +50, Blue Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Legendary) (Just for sheltering and set bonus)
Legendary Shadowhail Cloak (Cloak): Hide +22, Move Silently +22, Deception +16, Ghostly, Green Augment Slot, Silent Avenger Set (Legendary)
Legendary Braided Cutcord (Belt): Quality Dodge +4%, Blurry, Dexterity +19, Quality Dexterity +4, Green Augment Slot, Silent Avenger Set (Legendary)
Legendary Ring of Prowess (Ring): Melee Power +8, Ranged Power +8, Deadly +14, Accuracy 28, Green Augment Slot
Legendary Crumbling Gloves (Gloves): Insightful Dexterity +9, Quality Intelligence +4, Shatter +22, Insightful Physical Sheltering +24, Blue Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Legendary)
Legendary Flightfoot Greaves (Boots): Freedom of Movement, Speed +30, Natural Armor +19, Reflex Save +16, Yellow Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Legendary)
Legendary Deathwarden (Ring): Deathblock, Healing Lore +29, Efficient Metamagic - Empower Healing II, Exceptional Devotion +10, Blue Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Legendary)
Legendary Lore-Fueled Packbanner (Bracers): Insightful Constitution +9, Physical Sheltering +50, Insightful Doublestrike 10%, Druidic Stoneshape, Green Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Legendary)
Epic Precision Lenses: Manslayer, Insightful Strength +9, Melee Alacrity 15%, Action Boost Enhancement, Empty Blue Augment Slot)
Legendary Mist-laden Vestment (Light Armor): +14 Enhancement Bonus, Fortification +202%, Parrying +9, Physical Sheltering +50, Profane Well Rounded +2, Green Augment Slot, Silent Avenger Set (Legendary)

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Friendship
Korthos Resident

Love me! Please?

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 11:03am
Print Post  
A few other things that I found help, in addition to those previously mentioned:

Fast healing is nice for heroics, tapers off badly in epics.

If you have the slots, lesser displacement gear is helpful. Otherwise blur helps pretty well, and lasts much longer than displacement. Wands are easy to find too, so you don't need to be dealing with it mid-fight.

As was said said before and was obvious, kill them before they kill you. Have a hire for between fights parked someplace. Aasimar LoH is nice for mid-fight, but what I find does you in more often than not is burst damage. The carnage reaper sort of thing or a champ boss. Cruelty dots too since they don't go away when it finishes and just counts down forever. If your shield clickies don't last long enough, then MM wrecks you before you get anywhere near mobs.

If TWF balanced attacks, since it knocks down mobs. Knocked down mobs do no damage to you, and you do extra damage to them.

Shadar-Kai active past life, since 18 seconds of incorporeality goes a long way in a big fight on top of all other stuff. Dodge>incorp>MRR/PRR/HP>DR

Once you are killing things faster, you can build for more offense and less defense

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
I haven't looked if heavy Thunderforge armor would work with druid.

The armors from “The Madness of Crowds” and “Black and Blue” will work as well.

Sometimes I'm dumb and make it hard for myself. I was running LE into the mists the other day on my melee solo. I got murdered by wolves. Tripped and buh bye.

The wolves are a prime target for Dire Charge.

Second, I wasn't using displace. I mean... duh. I only have two displace clickies on my main (but I forgot to use them)... I realize that if I'm going to run melee a lot, I need like 5. So, I have some shard farming to do, I think. Does anyone use scrolls? Sounds kinda terrible.

Make a Displacement Flask.  You can usually fit in a use between uses of your greensteel staff.

Part of it is more PRR. I can't recall the number he has. But, it blocks over 50% damage. I can get more, of course, but it won't be huge. Is doing the whole combat expertise/imp CE worth it?

Probably not for your build.  The Natural Defense stance from Nature's Protector is probably your best course of action.  Unlike the Stalwart Defender stance, you can enjoy the benefits of rage.

I saw a pure barb last night steamrolling LE Ravenloft hardly taking damage. He had twisted both tiers of consecration and was popping it in the middle of packs of mobs and using his LOH from aasimar to supplement. It seemed to work REALLY well. I had never thought of that. Plus it was healing all the melee. So, he was blitzing but then popping cons. for heals. Nice.

It's also pretty nice on a Tempest Ranger, an Enlightened Spirit Fiend Warlock, a Fire Elemental Druid, and a Melee Artificer.

Other ideas?

Run in Epic Defensive Fighting stance while soloing.

Two sources will make or break your self-healing: Spellpower and Amplification.  Don't skip either department.  Overhealing in N/H/E doesn't mean shit when you play reaper.

Don’t depend on Dire Charge alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint