Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic speaking of pointless mobo shit... (Read 5334 times)
Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Re: speaking of pointless mobo shit...
Reply #25 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jan 31st, 2019 at 3:03pm:
Indeed. The place really oughta be renamed "The Vault of Irrelevance".

Seems like it would first have to become relevant enough to warrant renaming....

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Re: speaking of pointless mobo shit...
Reply #26 - Feb 8th, 2019 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 30th, 2019 at 11:18am:
Ok, if you go that way I was playing with SUN Servers ( with Sparc and Ultra Sparc processors ) and HP Servers with HP-PA processors at that time.
( with their respective OSes ).

The point was that proper multi core, multi thread both at the processor and the OS level wasn't something common before the Pentium D and the relevant Windows ( W2K and XP ) after that it slowly drifted from the geeks and gamers to the general population, and now you have to search very hard to end up with a single core single thread computer. ( and you're going to pay it real cheap )

Yes, I was staying away from the real OSs to talk Windows. The BS about cores and threads still has overhead with shared resources as a bottleneck.
Virtualization has overhead. I learned that doing Beowulf clusters. Nanowires are a limitation and throwing hardware at a problem is not a solution. the efficiency curve goes down, not up.

Their coding is spaghetti craptastic that shouldn't be virtually served. They learned never learned that three times: When they moved data centers and the clusters were consolidated; When they consolidated servers; When they did the virtualization shrink.

Yes, they should have all the user profiles stored in a single NAS and when someone logs in, they just choose the world they want to be in and that information is sent over to that instance.
It will never happen. They only hired single-minded people who could barely make a program to run on a single CPU.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint