Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Foundry is Closing (Read 3545 times)
hyplo
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

The Foundry is Closing
Mar 5th, 2019 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
https://www.pcgamer.com/star-trek-online-and-neverwinter-are-losing-player-creat...

"Cryptic has announced that the Foundry will be closing its doors for good next month.

While the Foundry has been kept alive by player imagination, it still requires resources and maintenance from Cryptic, and sadly the developer has decided that it can't give the Foundry the attention it deserves while still creating new features. "

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: The Foundry is Closing
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Did those games' Devs feel a little threatened, by any chance?

Player-created content is often WAY better than company-created stuff.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2019 at 1:44pm by Technomage »  

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 9:21am
Print Post  
I don't know anything about NW, personally.   I only played it for a few months when it first came out and thought it sucked.   A few people I know who do play it say that the foundry is not an actively used feature by the majority of the player base.  Kinda like PvP in DDO.   That may be accurate, that may just be their circle of friends.

If it is eating up developer time and resources and not generating a profit (the stated reason), that seems like a good enough reason to shut it down.   Not sure what other factors might be at play.    

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
I held my nose and tried out NWO just long enough to unlock the foundry. It sucked.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Mar 5th, 2019 at 1:44pm:
Did those games' Devs feel a little threatened, by any chance?

Player-created content is often WAY better than company-created stuff.

Yeah, the Foundry was poorly executed, but even so some amazingly good (well, relative to NWO) content was produced. Very creative stuff.

NWO remains more popular with my family than DDO, largely because of mounts and user made quests.

I hate to see an experiment like that fail, it could be the future of RPGs.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 9:21am:
I don't know anything about NW, personally.   I only played it for a few months when it first came out and thought it sucked.   A few people I know who do play it say that the foundry is not an actively used feature by the majority of the player base.  Kinda like PvP in DDO.   That may be accurate, that may just be their circle of friends.

If it is eating up developer time and resources and not generating a profit (the stated reason), that seems like a good enough reason to shut it down.   Not sure what other factors might be at play.    

As far as my friends who play tell me it's the same. The reason why it isn't used by the majority of players anymore is because the devs made it so you can't gain any experience in player made quests a while back.

So essentially they shot themselves in the foot over that feature. They're also removing it from Star Trek online as well.

It's a shame if DDO had a feature like that I'd imagine it'd be 900% more popular despite its age and problems. But I also feel like the DDO devs would similarly chose to have no exp or extremely low exp/rewards drop from player made content.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Mar 10th, 2019 at 4:40pm:
As far as my friends who play tell me it's the same. The reason why it isn't used by the majority of players anymore is because the devs made it so you can't gain any experience in player made quests a while back.

So essentially they shot themselves in the foot over that feature. They're also removing it from Star Trek online as well.

It's a shame if DDO had a feature like that I'd imagine it'd be 900% more popular despite its age and problems. But I also feel like the DDO devs would similarly chose to have no exp or extremely low exp/rewards drop from player made content.

Given that player made content can be of varying difficulty levels, I could see how it would be difficult to assign XP to them.  You could end up with a bunch of Ringleader, Shadow Crypt, Spies, Von3 style "farm quests" that bypass the storylines and quest chains and damage the progression system.   Although, again, I admit I know nothing about their progression systems over in NW.   

The same would be true of loot.   (which is the other reason to run content, besides progression and fun).   You can't give out more than ran gen loot chests that are content level appropriate.   But even that becomes somewhat concerning.  Not knowing that game, if it was in DDO, could I create a quest that has 50 collectibles nodes in it, in really easy to access places?   Or one that has an abundance of chests that are easily farmable?  I can see the problems that could develop.   That's a tough one.   

I still think the idea of player/community content is a great one, if you can work out the content balancing issues. 

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 3:45pm
Print Post  

Back when I played NWO, I thought the foundry was the best feature of the game. There were some real content gems in there - from standard quests (some that were pretty damn cool) to event-like content (lots of missions to hone your Mario skills on, puzzles, frogger games, etc).

There was some sort of award system then, though it had been neutered from earlier generations due to the predictable exploiting.

All in all, it's a shame. This was the part of the game with the most potential - think about how it's been working out for Starcraft I and II for all these years. But it was neglected from the get-go, so I'm not surprised to hear that people were generally disappointed with it.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2019 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
NWO had that problem with the foundry when the game was first released. First thing some people made were farm and loot quests.

Made the game pretty easy.....

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Kistilan
BANNED

Khyber vs Argo - Go!

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
* Kistilan casts Necrotic Intervention

-K¥§ťì£æñ- of Relics of the Last War
In Musk, we Trust
IP Logged