Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Pointless "Hey SSG" Thread (Read 8081 times)
Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Pointless "Hey SSG" Thread
Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Overview

I know I come down hard on SSG here on the vault, but honestly I’m most favorable for the direction the company has headed over the past few years.  I’d say I’m easily 75% in favor of most of the changes made, but most vocal about the mistakes because the 25% of screw-ups you’re still making are frustratingly huge and tend to cost you more money than you realize.

No offense but at times I swear I can’t tell if you people just don’t want to make money or you just don’t know how to.  I promise you this though; you are not making nearly as much money as you could be.

I scribbled these notes down about a year ago to what I would recommend if I were consulting the company and haven’t had time to do anything with it since.  Oddly enough you’ve actually implemented (at least slightly) two of my potential suggestions on your own, which gives me hope (a favor reward pass and changes to epic destinies).  Since your downtime is coinciding with my free time for once, I’ve decided to use the time for a free (and very informal) consultation.

Back in the day when I still worked for firms that worked for fortune 500 companies, the first step would be weeks of information gathering.  Full on hundred thousand dollars plus spent just to get specific information.  While I don’t have the specific numbers I need for the fine points, I have 10 years of experience playing the game and have been monitoring the flux of new players since the release of Ravenloft well enough that I can’t paint with broad strokes to cover our first two points.

#1 Know your audience

You can’t sell anything if you don’t know who you’re selling to.  Probably the biggest mistake I’ve watched you make over and over for 10 years is a lack of diversity in how you promote, package, and handle your product.

If DDO were a car it would come in one color with a stick shift, no options and a maximum rate of speed built in.  Even if this were a good idea, you’d have to have a Rolls Royce level of product to pull it off and (again, no offense) you don’t.

The phrase “the quest was never intended…” should be banned from any company meetings, unless it’s “the quest was never intended to be so boring and played only one way.”

While reaper was a flash of brilliance that went a long ways towards maximizing the appeal of the game to the maximum range of potential customers, most of your other (especially more recent) changes show that you still haven’t really grasped the importance of diversity in your approach.

Historically you keep trying to make a game that should be played a specific way and historically you keep losing money and clients because of it.

From the get-go you need to be looking at a minimum of two prime categories of cliental and two subcategories of each.

Old players – this is the point that would get the most hate if I bothered posting this on the motherboards.  These are the easiest people to please.  If they stuck around for the crap fest that followed Shadowfail, they’re only leaving the game in a body bag (literally…and since DDO appeals to an older generation, that’s probably how we lose a lot of our older players).  Even the people who fell in love with the game might get pissed or wander away for a few years, but they’ll be back.  I see them come back all the time.

You don’t have to work to make these guys happy.  Roll out new content, don’t screw up the aspects of the game we enjoy, and don’t nerf reaper and they’re going to stick around.
Your whale money is secure with the minimal amount of effort, as long as you don’t dumb down the game too much, you’re fine.  The only time screw up with these guys is when you try and force them to play the game a certain way.  We’ll cover more of that later.

New players – you need them.  You need to bring them in and you need to keep them playing.  Anyone who advises differently is an idiot and should be ignored.  RL brought them in…but the old game didn’t keep them.  I worry you got cocky (judging by how all your sales and discounts got crappy after your numbers went up) and didn’t think you needed to work to keep the new players you were getting, but you have an unacceptable rate of attrition of new players.  For every one that sticks with the game, you lose easily 50 casuals that joined to check the game out then lost interest.

If you want the game to survive and to keep your easy job for a few more years, there needs to be a huge push towards changing that attrition.  On the bright side, it’s actually really easy to do, but (again) we’ll cover that later.

Both of these categories will also have subcategories of casual and hardcore.  That gives you (and, as promised, these are very broad strokes) a minimum of 4 different types of players you should have in mind both when designing as well as marketing new (and old) content.

#2 Know your product

Next on the agenda would be a very long, hard look at your product – classes and races, store products, but mostly quests and packs.

What it comes down to is: what sells and what doesn’t?  What is run and what isn’t?  And mostly: why doesn’t it sell and why isn’t it run?

I really (and once again, no offense.  I’m trying to be nice here), really, really think your team seems to be mostly clueless to why some content is popular and why some quests and packs are shunned – and you can’t afford to be in the dark on this subject.

I’m sure you can track sales of packs and get a feel for what new players are told not to buy by experienced players.  Take a long hard look at that list, then go play the quests.  Experience them first hand and you’ll start getting a good idea of what never, ever, ever to do again.
More useful (and I’m not sure if this is even tracked) would be a breakdown of which quests are played the most vs. which are never played.  If I were there we would be spending hours, if not a full day, exploring these numbers and looking first hand at the quests.

I’m not, so I can’t hammer home the point as well as I would in person but here’s your answer:  XP per minute, loot and fun factor – in that order.  4th place would be irritation level, or lack thereof. 

If you want a formula, I’ll give you a few samples:  RL: good loot, decent xp, good reaper xp, good fun factor = worth running.  Slavers – good loot, good xp, decent reaper xp, a bit grindy but worth it for the loot = worth running.  ToEE – decent loot, good xp, no fun factor at all, long slow, grind = will not recommend, will not grind.

Loot and/or xp vs enjoyment of time spent getting it.  We grind like crazy in this game but even we have a limit.  Good loot will keep a pack popular for ages, but loot tends to get outdated and after that we’ll still run it if the XP per minute is good.

If I haven’t spelled it out clearly enough:  XP IS EVERYTHING in this game!  We’ll give up good xp for loot, but you have to provide one or the other.  WPM is very popular because of the loot and speed it can be run.  The rest of the pack is ran once or twice and quickly forgotten about because the loot is MEH, the quests are either too long or MEH and the XP SUCKS.

Slightly off topic.  Knowing your target audience and the strengths and weaknesses of your product are everything.  With that out of the way, we can start discussing the finer points.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2019 at 11:50am by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Re: Pointless "Hey SSG" Thread
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Keeping old players happy -

You know what would be a horrible quest?  If you had to just stand in one room for 15 minutes trying to keep a frail NPC alive and then get shit for XP for all your effort.  Man, that quest would suck.  People would hate that quest.  Nobody would play that fucking quest if they had any other option for getting XP.

And yes, I know we totally had that fucking quest in the game.  Even with the changes where we don’t have to keep the NPC alive, it still sucks and is seldom run.  There’s a lesson to be learned here (and I am very sorry to say) you still haven’t learned it.

There are a number of analogies I could make here.  The government spending a ton of money trying to fight something that shouldn’t have been illegal to begin with when they could have been making money by legalizing and regulating it.  Back to the car analogy, it’s like you have such a hard-on for making a car that can only be one color you spend time and resources trying to design a paint that can’t be painted over because it upsets you that people are painting your car a different color than you wanted them to.

Many popular inventions actually started as something completely different – but someone smart made a lot of money by following trends and switching the function of the product to where the demand was, instead of wasting time trying to sway the tide of what people wanted.

It’s not brain surgery people: know what people want, give them what they want and make some fucking money.

But not you.  No, not SSG.  If someone is enjoying your product and paying you money to enjoy it, but not playing with it exactly like you want them to – you’re going to walk over there and slap it out of their hands and waste the time and resources into trying to force them to do play with it exactly how YOU want them to play with it.

Make your car in more fucking colors.

Let’s look at the changes to Thrill of the Hunt.  If you spent more than 10 minutes on modify that quest that you could have been spent improving something that actually needed to be improved, you absolutely wasted time and money.

Seriously, whoever even suggested those changes should either be fired or taken out back and have some of the stupid beat out of them for wasting company time and money.

That quest and EVERY quest should have multiple ways of running it.  A relatively powerful toon of any class should have multiple options of succeeding in a quest.  We should be able to use the environment to our advantage – it is smart, fun and enjoyable finding ways to do something that takes a group to do and finding a way to do it yourself.  It’s called fun.  It’s called self satisfaction.  You should not be discouraging it, you should be providing it and encouraging it.

You should never, ever, ever, ever revisit a quest because people are completing it too quickly.  You should only be revisiting quests if people are having trouble completing it because of the damn ladders (for example).

10 years I’ve watched you trying to pull your finger out of the Chinese finger trap and it’s so painful to watch I’m going to tell you how to do it.

Push in.  The answer has always been to push in.

Doors should not only open if the crowds are killed, people should not be punished for not being able to group and people should not be punished for running a quest too quickly.

PEOPLE SHOULD BE REWARDED FOR RUNNING SLOWLY AND COMPLETING EVERYTHING!!!

Put better loot in opt chests
Double the XP of opts and opt bosses so people want to run them
Jack up the kill count bonuses by at least 5% and the same for ransack

Give us a reason for running things how you want them to be run, don’t punish us for playing how we want to play.  Missing loot and XP should ALWAYS be the punishment, if you’re doing you job right, you’d never have to change a quest to discourage zerging.  Give us a reason to run everything (loot and xp.  The answer will always be loot and xp) and if someone wants to skip that and lose out on loot and xp – FUCKING LET THEM.  Just let them be.  Let them enjoy themselves.  Stop listening to the annoying whiners like the Gramhs on the motherboards.  Create a fun, diverse game and FUCKING LET PEOPLE PLAY IT.

You want people to group?  5% standing bonus per person in the party with frequent 10% bonus weekends.  Don’t make us do what we don’t want to do – reward us for doing what you want us to do.

Add rare augments, higher drop rates of rare skill tomes, filigrees, or new exciting loot to be mentioned later to opt chests and people WILL run those opts.  Don’t put speed bumps down to discourage zerging, create a reason for us not to zerg (did I mention loot and xp?  I can’t mention that too much.  People play this game for loot and XP).

Let’s switch from the meta players to the old flower sniffers, because we do have duel levels for old and new.

Specifically the dallies.  Personally I hate them.  Can’t stand them, find them boring as hell.  Running the same quest once a day would be bad enough, but the thought of twice a day makes me puke a little in my throat.

The dailies should never, ever, EVER seen a nerf.  EVER.  Let them grind them.  Let the bored house wives and husbands do their little thing they enjoy – because they giving you money instead of Candy Crush and you want people who are giving you money to continue to give you money – they’re only going to do that if they enjoy doing what they’re doing.

Mostly though – YOU WANT PEOPLE TO STAY IN EPICS AS MUCH AND AS LONG AS POSSIBLE

You don’t want old players running heroic or even iconic past lives.  You want them to go to epics, stay in epics and live happily in epics.

Because people in epics stop earning favor and free points.

You seem to not put much value on your own points and, to a degree, you’re right.  Being able to grind out favor produces free points and people earning free points don’t spend as much. 

So give them every incentive NOT to earn free points so they buy more.  That means more time in epics and less TRs.  Less TRs, less free points.  Less free points, more money spent on the game.  Seriously, it is not brain surgery people.

Dailies should not be nerfed, the rest of the epic quests should have an XP overhaul to make them more compatible.  After a certain point the epic XP just dries up and you really have no choice but to TR to reset things – which gives you somewhere in the 800-1000 free points range depending on how much favor you grind on your way through to level 30.  That’s 800+ points they don’t have to buy later.

Bump up epic xp where people can run more content through multiple epic lives without Tring
You’ve already added a 4th tier to each sphere, which is good and I would have suggested that – but you’re overdue for making a 5th sphere for people to grind through.  Introducing a new class in conjunction with a 5th sphere would be a really good goal to work towards in the future.

And finally – if someone wants to grind out reaper points; for fucks sake let them.  I found Amber Temple farming to be possibly even more boring than the dailies and tended to avoid it.  But for some people that’s pretty much all that’s left for them to do in the game.  They have the gear they want, they have triple completion in heroic and epics, what’s left for them?  If grinding out 1/100th of a reaper point every 5 minutes makes them happy, fucking let them be happy.  Take their damn money and tell Gramh* to shut the fuck up.  He isn’t doing you any favors.

To review:
Don’t nerf, don’t punish – add incentives for playing the game
Increase rare and optional’s Xp
Add better loot to optional chests
Add better and more frequent bonuses for grouping
Encourage people to stay in epics
Epic XP overpass
Don’t nerf dailies – increase xp in other quests
Donuts
Boobs

*not literally Gramh, just the Gramhs of the world in general.

New players -

More than anything I feel this is where you guys are really dropping the ball.  A big part of that comes from a weird mix of trying to keep the meta players happy back in the day by constantly upping the difficulty level, which screwing them at the same time by forcing them to run quests exactly how you wanted them to be ran.

The fact is (he admits begrudgingly) DDO is a great game, but it is not easily accessible to new players due to the learning curve, the power crawl, and just because there is so damn much content in the game.

As mentioned in the original post, new player interest is dwindling.  Sharn isn’t bringing them in like RL and RL didn’t keep nearly as many as you needed.  Despite the dated graphics, most of the new players start out loving the game but end up crapping out because of all the content they have to buy and (mostly) because after a certain point the game just becomes too damn hard.  Most of the older gear offered was crap when I started playing 10 years ago and flat out doesn’t allow new players to keep up with the power crawl.

These are the two aspects on maintaining new players that time, attention and resources should be put towards – not retweeking old quests because old players run them too quickly.

Combating power crawl – we have reaper now to keep older players happy.  I love reaper.  I’m totally on team “reaper saved the game”.  Good job whoever came up with reaper!  You created the difficulty scale this game desperately needed.

That said, you need to unfuck up the basic difficulty levels of Norm-Elite, specifically elite.  Elite is far harder now that it was when I started playing.  Hell, with the bump up in DA, elite is far more difficult now than it was 4 years ago.  Elite needs to be turned down a little.  It should be hard for a new player, not inaccessible.  Yes, at one time elite was aimed for the best of the best with a million past lives and all the best gear so they could pat themselves on the asses and feel uber.

We need to get past that.  We have reaper for that now.

It needs to be scaled back to something closer to what it was 10 years ago.  But I know that’s hard and maybe undoable, so here’s a better alternative.

Create better starting gear.

The starting gear hasn’t been overhauled in…fucking forever.  The starting gear is crap.  It was crap 10 years ago.  It’s crap and it doesn’t help a newb through the curve.  As far as new player retention goes, I would consider this a top priority.

Rework the basic Korthos starter gear to make it more viable in today’s DDO, then pick a quest pack that isn’t completely embarrassing somewhere in 3-6 level range and create a few nice, tight sets (NOT CRAFTING).  Just something decent that helps the new players not only get through to, but also lets them play RL to get the gear they need to carry them through their first life.  Hitting the weak spots of gear in the right place would go a long ways towards keeping new players in the game.

2nd point – the wall of adventure packs

What’s the goal here?  Do we want to sell subscriptions, packs, or both?

If you want to sell subscriptions you need to give subscriptions away.  Never let your client feel intimidated by choices.  “There’s too many packs, I’ll never have them all” does NOT lead to subscriptions – it leads to quitting.  It leads to the feeling that there’s too much money to be spent in this game and it’s easier to just buy a triple A game instead.

You give them a taste.  Two weeks to a month in every new account should be given a free two week to month long trial subscription.  Let them see 1st hand what VIP offers them.  Let them see how much they’re getting for such a small investment.  Let them see and experience it because if you just leave it to their imagination, they’re only going to imagine negative things and leave.

Another option (and actually both should be used) is an updated starter package.  Throw a free race (I’m looking at you half-elf that no one wants ever), 3 or 4 of the older packs and something nice for 10 bucks.  Make them feel they’re making headway into the game instead of being intimidated by how much more they need.

And for the love of God, permanently lower the price of the really old packs or make them free to play.  The longer someone plays, the more likely they are to spend money on the game.  Even if it takes a year or more, eventually they’re going to shell out money – if they stay with the game.  Very few people can actually play the game for free, and those that do are never going to spend money anyways – so it’s a non-issue.

But you don’t want a real, potential paying customer to save up his points and then accidently buy the Restless Isles as his 1st paid content.  That type of purchase (and to them it is a purchase, they worked hard to earn those points) can kill incentive for continuing with or spending money on the game.  I’ll admit I had a massive hang up for spending money on an online game when I started.  Easily the 1st 4 or 5 packs I bought I got with grinding.  I got over it, stayed with the game and have easily dropped thousands of dollars since.

Stop trying to squeeze every nickel out of customers.  Know your weak spots and cut your losses.  Know when making a sale is actually losing you 5 sales later on.  Some of that old content needs to be either cheap as hell or F2P.

3rd point – Hires.  Fix them.

To say the hire AI is horrible is being nice.  We know this, you know this, everyone knows this.

The metas will back you that hires shouldn’t exist or no time should be put towards improving them.  They’re wrong.  Very wrong.

You basically have two choices at this point to stretch the game out – server mergers or fix the hires.  In the long run, fixing the hires will be the easier of the two.

We’re no longer in the hayday of DDO.  We’re well past the point of using a hire to fill a single, empty spot or for people who want to mostly solo.  Hires are needed now more than ever because most heroic parties are flat out not going to fill.  There’s just not enough players running the same levels and content at the same time and that’s only going to get worse, not better.

New players need hires.  New players need good hires.  New players need hires without those stupid cool down timers every time you summon them which makes them unable to do anything when you need them most.

I know all the arguments – spaghetti code, time, resources, blah blah blah.  Well, think about the time you spent jacking up Amber Temple and Hunt, that’s time that would have been better used working on hires.

And complicated problems do sometimes have surprisingly simple solutions.

Don’t go in and try and fix old hires.  It’s a waste of time.

Create a single, good AI, then scale it up and reskin as needed.  We don’t need hires with “personalities,” we need hires that don’t take 5 minutes to cast a heal spell and that can rez when needed.

Build a decent AI and tweek that for level needs.  You’ll find that much, much easier than trying to go back and repair all the glitchy hires in the game now.

You want DDO to be a fun, challenging experience for new players, not “well, it wouldn’t be that bad if I could get a group or the hires didn’t suck,” or even “it’s a pretty good game despite sucking horribly in these many, many ways.”

I totally get where your resources are limited but (and I’m being nice here), your resources wouldn’t be nearly so limited now if you’d known where to prioritize your changes five years ago.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2019 at 10:56am by Skoodge »  

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:19am
Print Post  
So let me ask you, what’s your 1 year, 3 year and 5 year plan for this game?  Or are you just trying to keep it together from release to release hoping for the best?  Because if you don’t have a 1 year, a 3 year and a 5 year plan, all of you need to be working on your parachutes.

In 2014 the game was dying.  When I came back in 2017 the game was basically dead.  Ravenloft was a much needed second chance but for the first time since its release today, I logged in and there were only two LFMs posted on one of your most popular servers.  I can’t see all the numbers I need, but that is a very bad sign.  It should very much be alarming for everyone who relies on this game for their livelihood.  You’ve done a great job turning things around, but it’s not enough.  What you’re doing is not working.  You need to prioritize changes ASA-fing-P if you still want to be doing this in 5 years.

And yes, you could still be doing this in 5 years.  The game is strong enough – provided you make the right decisions now.

So let’s take a deeper look at what those changes should be.

Stepping back to reiterate a few points -

When I started playing in 2009, roughly half the game was free.  The game was open and accessible and it didn’t feel like you had to climb a mountain to catch up with the other players.  It didn’t feel like a company that was trying to bleed you dry.  Enough of the game was playable as a free player that you could get immersed and then want to spend your money to buy more.

How much is paid content now?  At least 65%?  Closer to the 70-80% range?  Think about what a free account looked like 10 years ago in the character creator vs a new player’s experience in 2019.  Think about how many more classes and races are grayed out and inaccessible.

It’s not an encouragement to spend money, it’s very discouraging and a motivation to spend your money somewhere else.  Have you watched the recent reviews of people trying DDO for the first time?  If you have a PR manager, that’s literally their departments job to be aware of how people are perceiving your product and report it back to you.  Have you seen the videos?  It’s the 1st negative impression that people get from the game.

Here’s a very lose rule of thumb to follow.  For every 4 new paid products introduced into the game, 1 older model should become free.  Add 4 new packs, make an older one F2P.  Make 4 new classes, make an older one F2P.

At least two older classes and races should be free by this point.  Switch 3 over to free and 1 available for favor.  If your goal is to sell VIP, this won’t hurt you at all because they still need content.  If your goal is to sell both VIP and content to premium, it still won’t hurt you because there’s a ton in this game to buy now.

The haggle system is horrible.  Get rid of it.  Give the free players money in their hands and let them spend it.  Inflation is up and you haven’t raised minimum wage for these guys in a decade.  Raise the max plat cap for F2P accounts.  Increase the amount gear can be sold at vendors to the price of the item and reduce the games cut of the auction house transactions by 10-15%.  The longer someone plays, the higher chance of them spending real money in the game.  Give them a quality of living boost in their plat.

Mostly completely drop the haggle because it was a bad system from the beginning to allow certain classes to automatically make more money simply because their class was based on that attribute.  Haggle in places encourages new players who don’t know better to put their skill points into it.  Putting points into haggle gimps their builds and makes the game harder and less enjoyable.  People who have fun spend money.  People who are given bad choices they’ll be punished for in game play spend their money elsewhere.

Starting paths – improve them.  They’re old and weak.  They should be at least relatively decent enough that someone can pick a path, enjoy the game, and start experimenting with their own builds on their 2nd or 3rd lives.  This game has a very steep learning path.  Decent paths will cut that down.

Chests and end rewards – make them worth opening and collecting.  This game is about loot and XP.  In easily 75% of your quests, the loot isn’t even worth it.  Pros don’t even bother opening chests until Ravenloft and end rewards should be the sweetest plumb of all and we only collect them (usually guild renown) because we have to.  I’ll go into more detail about that later, just want to put it on your radar.

Quest XP – most of the quests need a bump up and all your opts need to be at least doubled, tripled or quadrupled.  Here’s where we get into your 3 and 5 year plans.  Design the XP of your quests right and you never have to go back and tweek things later to make people run them how you want to run them.

All epic XP needs to be overhauled sooner than later.  No quest should get an XP reduction, but the opts need to be pushed up.  Another rule of thumb, you never want the end XP to be more than 40% of the potential XP in the quest.  Hitting the numbers, killing monsters, breaking things, and hitting all the side bosses should more than double a quests end reward.  People aren’t going to go out of their way to pick up an extra 200, 500, or even 1000 XP points – but they’ll do it for 5000 to 10000 XP points.

Shard economy and cosmetics – these are two of the most lucrative parts of the game that nearly every other game takes full advantage of and you’re missing some of you best profits.  It’s easy money and it needs to be part of your 5 year plan with how you release, capitalize on and change quests as they get older.
A few slight asides – why did you guys get so cheap?  Was it the old overlords?  When I started playing you could earn points by advertising.  Advertising is everything and that’s basically free advertising.  Too many people racking up free points by creating fake accounts?  If memory serves me correct, you didn’t earn points by sign ups but points from your friends making purchases – which (follow me here) that’s the best deal on advertising ever.  Free advertising for fake money?  It doesn’t get any better than that.

You presently have no incentive programs and you desperately need incentive programs.  You should have had this in place ages ago.  This is a word of mouth game.  Take advantage of free advertising.

Take advantage of your present ability to booster your work force with fake money.

Which brings us back to cosmetics – and the ddo wiki.  You should be throwing Otto boxes and points at both the people making your game accessible and potential people that could be organizing things for you.

The old cosmetic preview system was horrible and God only knows how much you spent on creating a decent one.  It’s still not enough.  Either on your home page or on the wiki there should be a detailed breakdown of all the available cosmetics and how they look on every race.  Something people can easily look at at a glance.  Something that would take a lot of time and screen shots.  Something you have about 1000 people more than willing to do for 500 points or an ottos box.

Need to know what monsters are missing from the MM?  We do it for you, you don’t have to use your own resources – just take advantage of the information we bring you.  Need to know something specific about the game?  Throw an otto box at one of the forum paladins and they’ll do the work for you.

I’ve literally spent weeks in call centers with hundreds of people working around the clock trying to dig up specific information that a company paid us hundreds of thousands of dollars to collect – and you can get this information for basically free.

You have a very large, untouched and (more importantly) free workforce.  Learn to use it.

Which brings us back to decent gear, the shard exchange, and creating gear and content that will last.

If you don’t know which content isn’t run, or you know which content isn’t run but you don’t know why: ask.

If you know which content is still run but you don’t know why: ask.

Most importantly – if you want to know what old gear is still sought after, that people will still take the time to grind for and (most, most, most importantly) willing to spend shards in the shard exchange for: ask.

We’ll make a list for you.

If you’re going to make a 5 year plan (or burn it all down and one day hope to be part of the team that makes DDO2) you need to find a better balance between offering new content that people want to run vs making the old content so old and obsolete that no one wants to run it again ever because it’s too grindy, too much of a chore and the loot and XP are now crap.

You want to be able to sell old packs as well as new.  You have to avoid them becoming day old (or in this case, week old) donuts.

And that means creating something relatively unique each time that continues to be useful, even if not as useful as the newest thing.

That also means designing quests with toggle switches to change the drop rates after the fact.

You give us low drop rates to keep us grinding while it’s fresh.  Afterwards, when you release something new and better, it no longer is worth the time or effort (I’m looking at you ToEE, the actual House C quests, dragon touched armor, and the list goes on and on and on).

If you want to continue to sell packs, if you want people to group, if you want people to run something besides the dailies – design quests to change both drop rates and how  they’re bound at a later date.

Somethings are never worth the grind after a certain point – but they might fit a specific build type a few years down the road IF (and only if) they become easier to grind out.  Drop rates need to increase over time.  The old epic crafting system shouldn’t be as stingy as it is.  There’s only a handful of useful items and nobody wants to put the time in and the whole system just becomes an annoying nuisance.  We’re either throwing the crap on the group or dragging around bag after bag filled full of crap we can’t use, don’t want, and can’t give to someone else if they need it.

Drop rates should be designed to increase later.

And items should start out BTA (never BTC outside of raids) and become BTA on equip at a later date.

Because BTC doesn’t sell shards.  BTC might make you a little money when the pack is fresh, but you lose a ton of money in the long run.

BTA makes people happier and gives a little more incentive to run old content.

And BTA on equip can be sold in the shard exchange.  Don’t make me be rude here and spell it out – you want that.

You want a lively shard exchange where people will pay you to buy the shards (your shard prices are way too high btw) to pay someone else to do the grinding.

Lower the shard fee to 15% at most and release the hell out of BTA on equip gear and ings.  It’s the easiest way to create that in game economy.

That’s it for today.  I’ll try and create an organized overview later on.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2019 at 10:57am by Skoodge »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:19am
Print Post  
also reserved...for stuff

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Salias was logged into the Vault about an hour ago. She still comes here at least. Maybe she'll even read your posts.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:55am
Print Post  
I've seen WPM reference a couple of times recently. The wiki doesn't do abbreviations so I'll have to ask the noob question: what is it?

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Good points all around.

Always been a huge fan myself of the "you have to play the game the way we want you to play it". Feels pretty good to find an alternate way to complete something, like Sleeping Dust and countless others. Too bad the "NO THAT'S NOT HOW YOU DO IT" comes after Angry

They should just reset the "completion status" of quests with epic reincarnations, would help the exp a lot and make it similar to heroic leveling to be able to streak them again every life.

Definitely some massive work to be done to make a lot of quests more interesting on the XP side. I CAN handle grinding the same shit over and over again but I'll just end up getting burnt out faster than going for some variety. I tend to force myself to run more content to make it less boring but holy shit would it be bliss if all of that other stuff I run was worth it for the XP.

Dunno who the fuck over there thought "shitty quest = shitty exp" but I hope they're not working for them anymore. That quest by itself is probably a big part of why the pack is never ran even though there are some good exp quests in it.

Also agree on there being some improvement lately. I quit for two years and coming back to Ravenloft was a pleasant surprise and played no small part in me still being around after a few months. Sharn has been fine too.

Speaking of Ravenloft, the quest teleport mechanic should be retroactively applied to all other explorers.

Optionnals do need to be revised to be at least closer in worth to the "whatever is fastest and gives the most exp" method. Unfortunately would require a lot of actual gameplay from them, and not just by themselves but with varied groups/players. Even as a quest "zerger" I still do some optionnals if I know they are worth it like the puzzle in Ghost of a Chance. 3000+ for 1min, yes please. But off the top of my head I can't even come up with a few more that qualify as worth doing that are "true" optionnals and not just "hey there's a named that appeared in the middle of all the trash you're going to kill anyway" optionnal.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I have been thinking the same thing about them encouraging heroic trs abd points. Basically you can get 1000 points from a heroic life. More if you want. But i tend to get about 1000. So why would i spend real money if i have all the points i need. I dont.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:55am:
I've seen WPM reference a couple of times recently. The wiki doesn't do abbreviations so I'll have to ask the noob question: what is it?

White Plume Mountain

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
New section added.  Love to hand this to someone in my office for the usual "smooth this out for me please," but that's not going to happen.  May go back for what I'm sure are the numerous misspellings and typos later...but probably not.  Eventually hope to add one more section to it.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
This is actually well written and a frankly apt critique and feedback document. Well, atleast as much as a forum post can be considered a document.

Here's to hoping someone on the team actually reads it and gives it a good think over and shares it.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Distributed wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:23pm:
They should just reset the "completion status" of quests with epic reincarnations, would help the exp a lot and make it similar to heroic leveling to be able to streak them again every life.

Coming soon to the DDO Store: Wish of Forgetfulness.  Reset all quest completions when you ETR for just 995 points.

Quote:
Definitely some massive work to be done to make a lot of quests more interesting on the XP side. I CAN handle grinding the same shit over and over again but I'll just end up getting burnt out faster than going for some variety. I tend to force myself to run more content to make it less boring but holy shit would it be bliss if all of that other stuff I run was worth it for the XP.

There's a straightforward fix for this that I've shared before.  EverQuest has the concept of "hot zones" where underutilized content is temporarily provided a beefy XP boost, making it competitive with or better than other content for leveling.  No surprise, people go to those zones.  SSG could implement something similar which would stimulate adventure pack sales.  I'm so tired of running VON 3/4, TTT, Spies, Wiz King, OOB, Grim and Mirror epic dailies and would welcome something to change up gameplay every month or two.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Great review. As an old timer, I’ve given up waiting for a ladder fix, so if every one of these changes were adopted I’d be fine with that too. Would it really bring in new money and players?
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:29pm by Gunga »  

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Ioun
Dragon Raider

Daddy don't hurt me.

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:18am:
Keeping old players happy -

To review:
Don’t nerf, don’t punish – add incentives for playing the game
Increase rare and optional’s Xp
Add better loot to optional chests
Add better and more frequent bonuses for grouping
Encourage people to stay in epics
Epic XP overpass
Don’t nerf dailies – increase xp in other quests

You make excellent points in this post, I really couldnt agree more here. Very well written too. It's hard to find more than 1 or 2 things I disagree with throughout the large post.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:40pm by Ioun »  

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:28pm:
Would it really bring in new money and players?

Bringing in new players would be a totally different strategy, but it's actually a non issue because Ravenloft was bringing in more new players than I'd seen for a good 4 years prior to its release.

Bringing in isn't the problem right now, it's keeping them.  And yes, I can just about promise you that if even about half the suggestions I made were implemented, they would see a considerable increase in sales and new player retention. 

Well...that and the other two pages of notes I've been making over the past year.  This was just the tip of the iceberg overview.  I've got at least 20 more points and areas that could be tightened and improved on to increase sales (like how to actually make a decent shard market and profit from it.  Something they kind of half-assed and lost interest in.  They're hemorrhaging some of the easiest money they could be making there and could be reversed with just a few relatively easy fixes).

But that takes time on my part...
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:49pm by Skoodge »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Re: Hirelings.  Old players want them too.  I'm running back to back racials.  Had an LFM up for 3 hours last night looking for a trapper to fill the group (doing 3 skulls).  Ended up using a hire to get trap bonuses.

The rhetoric around "how to play" can be summarized as "your fun is wrong".  See FlimsyFirewood and the Amber Temple debacle to summarize how SSG is out of touch.

Optionals done right: Invitation to Dinner and Raven at the Door.  Invitation has named loot in the Death card optional fight.  Raven at the Door optional in the dungeon is great XP and drops named loot.  More design like that please.

New players and alts need to be addressed.  The game has significantly shifted from the pre-raid bypass and pre-racial/epic past life days where you had stable of toons.  Investing in more than one toon is a losing proposition.  If I was a new player starting today, I'd literally be years behind other players.  There is no past life catch up mechanic for new players, and alts are a blackhole of time.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:51pm:
Investing in more than one toon is a losing proposition.  If I was a new player starting today, I'd literally be years behind other players.

That was a point I meant to make.  This seriously took way, way, way more fucking time than I expected it to to write up.

New players shouldn't feel like they're years behind starting out.  They are, there's no way to prevent from being years behind, and you shouldn't catapult them up or even try to even the playing field -

They key word here isn't they shouldn't FEEL like they're years behind.  That means closing the gap with some more free content and lessening the power crawl.  Throw them a bone with some decent gear where they're viable in basic elite.  Give them a taste of feeling bad-ass, even if it's just an illusion. 

That "it would take years to get to that power" needs to be avoided at all cost.  They need to be walking away with a feeling of "hey, that new gear made things easier and that crappy +1 tome that drops easier now really made a difference, with a little more effort I could be really good at this game."
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:59pm by Skoodge »  

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:20pm:
Coming soon to the DDO Store: Wish of Forgetfulness.  Reset all quest completions when you ETR for just 995 points.

There's a straightforward fix for this that I've shared before.  EverQuest has the concept of "hot zones" where underutilized content is temporarily provided a beefy XP boost, making it competitive with or better than other content for leveling.  No surprise, people go to those zones.  SSG could implement something similar which would stimulate adventure pack sales.  I'm so tired of running VON 3/4, TTT, Spies, Wiz King, OOB, Grim and Mirror epic dailies and would welcome something to change up gameplay every month or two.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. "Oh this would make the game great, let's make people pay for it"  Sad

Similar thing on Ragnarok Online too. It has changing "spotlights" for various areas of the game that up the exp and stuff. That has issues though versus making everything similarly rewarding. People always ask for the current best exp spot to be spotlighted and complain when it isn't. Wouldn't be an issue if everything was viable to start with. It just clumps players in one spot and limits choices instead of having an even distribution.

IP Logged

Distributed
Abbot Raider

Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Could make past lives like paragon levels in D3  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:10pm by Distributed »  

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #19 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:45pm:
White Plume Mountain

Much obliged!

IP Logged

Wipe
VoD Slasher

Reply #20 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:20pm:
EverQuest has the concept of "hot zones" where underutilized content is temporarily provided a beefy XP boost, making it competitive with or better than other content for leveling.  No surprise, people go to those zones.  SSG could implement something similar which would stimulate adventure pack sales.  I'm so tired of running VON 3/4, TTT, Spies, Wiz King, OOB, Grim and Mirror epic dailies and would welcome something to change up gameplay every month or two.

There's enough content for two epic lives to do on r1 and xp / min even duo is better than most "dailies" and very close to exceptional Spies + Mirror.

Frankly surprised how long ass time players even consider "playing" fucking normal dailies as main xp source.

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:23pm by Wipe »  

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Wipe wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:22pm:
Frankly surprised how long ass time players even consider "playing" fucking normal dailies as main xp source.

"Your fun is wrong."

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
SSG should serious ly fucking hire you to fix their game. Everything was basically spot on.

Christ i would spend money on it again if they hired you and fired the fat forum nazi.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

raybob
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
How SSG treats new players is a real problem.  They come in naked and clueless and get pounded by the game until they leave.

My main has about 50 people in the friends list, most of whom I added when they started playing and I see about 5 of them playing with any regularity today.  Most of them I spent a day with from Korthos to lvl 6-8 showing them the ropes.  And they never come back because the learning curve is too steep.

As for hires, its really sad when the best hire in the game is Byron the 1st lvl warforged barbarian.  Just put him on offense and watch the quest get completed.

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #24 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 4:05pm:
SSG should serious ly fucking hire you to fix their game. Everything was basically spot on.

Even if they could afford me, I coudn't because taking an American client would make my taxes hell.

Might be able to work something informal out though...for maybe a crate of Ottos boxes  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint