Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Potential reasons why DDO is dying (Read 12144 times)
Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Potential reasons why DDO is dying
Mar 30th, 2020 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Made an earlier version of this in another thread. Refined and added some things. Took some ideas from other posters as well. Thoughts? (there may be some overlap issues)

Main reasons:
  • Shit servers/net code: Unplayable lag, especially in raids. Devs removing game features in hopes of "fixing" the issue. Example: Removing Fvs Archons ambient light and reducing combat sounds. Lag is much better now due to a much smaller player base. However, old 'Input' lag issues remain with actions like drinking pots and casting spells making the game feel clunky and unresponsive.
  • Old, clunky, and complicated: Dated graphics, clunky, and complicated. All barriers of entry for potential players.
  • Decade old F2P system: What was once revolutionary in late 2009 has now become a massive turn off for new players. Probably the worst F2P system of all mmos right now. A VIP sub is basically a necessity. Heres an example. 
  • Character power that doesnt reset after a new expansion: Most MMOs use items as character power that eventually get reset with the release of a new expansion. Putting every player on equal footing come launch day. DDO has a decade worth of these game systems without any catch up mechanics creating a snowball effect that ends up hurting new and returning players.   
  • Degradation of the DnD theme: Never ending power creep and the constant addition of new attributes/character mechanics. In hopes of keeping the game "fresh" or simply to try and "balance" various playstyles. This eventually turned DDO into a run of the mill fantasy mmo that happens to have a D20 system. Those looking for a "authentic" DnD experience will be largely disappointed. This also makes loot tetris mind numbing for players. Example 1, Example 2
  • Too many servers: 8 servers for the small player base that ddo has is laughable. Those logging in will most likely see a ghost town on most servers. 
  • Selling raid loot/bypass items: Great short term profits but at the cost of severely reducing content life. Initially releasing +3 tomes in the store late 2011 killed off about half of the endgame raids overnight which were ran for +3 tomes in the 20th lists. This trend of selling tomes continues to this day. Raid Timer Bypasses and chest re-rolls quickly killed off what little new content there was.  
  • Killing off endgame players: Post-MotU expansion killed off the majority of endgame players. Trivializing years of endgame content due to the level increase. Complete lack of new endgame content and constant power creep. The true endgame were Epic Pastlives and Epic Destinies. Not items.
  • Digital attention spans and the mmo genre: MMOs have been on the decline for years. Modern digital attention spans getting shorter. People would rather play mobile games or BRs/MOBAs. 
  • Separating players via epic levels/expansions: Separating the player base between 20 heroic, 10 epic, and soon to be legendary levels. As well as more than a decade of content and paid expansions. This is hard to dodge and is a necessity for keeping the lights on but it has a detrimental affect to the playerbase.
  • Removal of the 'Holy Trinity' design: MotU expansion brought Epic Destinies which allowed players to essentially solo the game (not having to rely on healers). This probably saved the game in the long run due to the much smaller playerbase now. However, I cant help but feel like this impacted a ton of players who preferred focusing purely on dps or healing. Definitely a culture shock for players. Some probably quit shortly after, especially healers which were made obsolete.
  • Refusal to sell good cosmetics: A f2P mmo without good store bought cosmetics? Crazy. What you're left with is largely selling ways to bypass artificial barriers or grind.
  • Alts arent incentived: Players, especially newer ones reaching epic levels are largely stuck playing one character. Making them feel trapped as the grind needed to reach a competitive level is too high. Veterans who have had plenty of time to participate with the release of each grind are largely unscathed.
  • Bugs: The buggiest MMO I've ever played. Leaving DDO to play other MMOs left me with anxiety as I would question if abilities and items were working as intended (legit).
  • No PvP: While most players agree there's no need for PvP in DDO. One cant deny theres a considerable portion of players that focus on PvP rather than PvE in mmo's. DDO not having dedicated PvP alienates these types of potential players.
  • Bad raid designs: This is subjective but a lot of the raids in DDO, especially Post-MotU are ruined by either an over abundance of puzzles or just bad design. Think CitW, Deathwyrm, DoJ, Babas, Riding the Storm Out etc. Even good raids like LoB were plagued by a mandatory 40 minute clear to the entrance and confusing loot upgrades.

Honorable mentions: Not unique to DDO but worthy of mentioning.
  • Communication issues/lack of QA: Some examples: Devs not telling players pre-MotU of a hidden save bonus to mobs Epic Ward that gave extra saves depending on their percentage of health remaining. The fortification bypass portion of the rogues Opportunist Feat not working. Being borked for a year or two until two players tested it in the PvP pit and made a thread about it. I guess the devs didnt want to spend the 5 minutes testing it.
  • Baffling design choices/knee jerk reactions: Some examples: In order to make the endgame "harder". Updated 11 introduced increased raid boss damage, health, and increased fortification based on difficulty. This inadvertently destroyed rogue players on any difficulty above normal. As they not only had low health pools but 60% of their dps relied on Sneak Attacks. During 2014 the devs tried to balance Shiradi by giving rainbow/colors of the queen epic pastlife a chance to proc Radiant Forcefield and Adrenline on mobs. This also worked on raid bosses. This procced quite often giving raid bosses a near constant 25% reduced incoming damage and a chance to one shot players. It was removed sometime later in a patch. Also Lynnabel thinking a 60 second Radiant Forcefield clicky is OP...no seriously.

Some other 'potential' reasons?:
  • Constantly changing/adding item attributes or game mechanics that confuses returning or new players (or hurting builds, having to re-roll). That Human Dmg boost nerf tho (Assimar=$$$)
  • Class reworks that become obsolete in a year or two.
  • Loot tetris
  • Ugly/old new player starting area where random gen is far superior to the quest rewards (that decade of power creep tho)  
  • Late introduction of individual quest death penalties, no permanent buddy bonus and Reaper diff being the "norm". Rip new players
  • Super confusing quest giver/quest entrance locations
  • Over saturation of farming the same content over and over again for pastlives (experience points).

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2020 at 9:28pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

Update 1-13: The golden age of DDO

rest wrote on Oct 26th, 2012 at 12:53pm:
DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Re: Potential reasons why DDO is dying
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
That's a really long ass bitchy post. Lag is the only thing that stopped me. Server pop maybe distant #2 wow and swtor are just so big hard to compare to.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Artorias
Shroud Slacker

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Mar 30th, 2020 at 6:44pm:
That's a really long ass bitchy post. Lag is the only thing that stopped me. Server pop maybe distant #2 wow and swtor are just so big hard to compare to.

It has some valid points but I agree that lag is the biggest offender

For me, the extremely outdated and clunky UI of some mechanics is a massive pita too.

Still annoying to look at TR cache, use the stone of change, no option to reroll the character exactly as it was before an ETR and finding the goddamn quest name in that tiny ass microscopic tab every time you want to host a group in the lfm

There is also that tiny detail about morons coding the game and that massive cuntsaurus of a producer......
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:10pm by Artorias »  

IP Logged

ahti
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:56am
Print Post  
to op. 40 min to clear lob boss fight?!? i soloed that raid elite or eh 20 min when lvl cap was 28
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:58am by ahti »  

IP Logged

Reyes.
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 11:36am
Print Post  
ahti wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:56am:
to op. 40 min to clear lob boss fight?!? i soloed that raid elite or eh 20 min when lvl cap was 28

Probably he meant that the run to quest is annoying, wich kinda is.

Tbh i dont understand whay they dont "hide" the p2p stuff in character creation. i dont know, maybe make a regular tab with the free stuff and a premium one that shows the p2p races and clases.

Its apalling to see how much vip shit is just when making a toon.
Just that starting hit drives newbies away, newbies that could have become paying customers later.

Also yeah, cosmetics are low hanging fruit, bummer that they dont grab it.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
you must be bored to death to post yeat another Doom Thread here... *yawn*
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2020 at 2:34pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Slick Stick
Puppy Farmer

Titties!

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 5:26pm
Print Post  

Level 28? It wasn't worth running when cap was level 28, maybe that's why you are confused.

Just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they need an answer.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Mar 30th, 2020 at 6:44pm:
That's a really long ass bitchy post.

Agreed. Could probably go without the honorable mentions and the last part.

Artorias wrote on Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:07pm:
no option to reroll the character exactly as it was before an ETR

The majority of my ETRs came from that bug where the Fatespinner instantly gave you level 30 after talking to her. Having to redo my build from the ground up every time was a massive pita. That could be an amazing QoL change.

I meant when LoB was current at the level 20 cap.

The entire raid had to clear the way to the raid entrance. It was a slog. You also had to have someone stay back in the first instance to keep it from resetting. By the time everyone was ready to enter the raid it was a 30-40 minute ordeal.

Reyes. wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 11:36am:
Tbh i dont understand whay they dont "hide" the p2p stuff in character creation. i dont know, maybe make a regular tab with the free stuff and a premium one that shows the p2p races and clases.

Its apalling to see how much vip shit is just when making a toon.
Just that starting hit drives newbies away, newbies that could have become paying customers later.

Nothing beats slapping your new players across the face with "buy my shit" as soon as they start playing.

Flav wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 2:33pm:
you must be bored to death to post yeat another Doom Thread here... *yawn*

Wasn't really my intention for it to become a d00m thread. More of a look back at the decade of fuck ups that led DDO to the state that its currently in. Poor title choice on my end.

DDO is still the old fat wife I have at home who I can't fucking stand, but we've been together so long I can't see myself leaving.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
A more appropriate title might have been "Dormammu, I've come to bargain"

You said basically all the same stuff two months ago, which you acknowledged at the start of this thread.  I'm just not sure that there's much reason for restating the same things.

I agree with some of the issues that exist with the game, btw.

Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Jan 7th, 2020 at 10:13pm:
I couldn't agree more.

I think I conditioned myself to the pot drinking/healing "lag". I spam click pots/heals till they go off. Good catch though, as this makes the game feel clunky and unresponsive. 

I personally think the graphics are great even after all these years. Although I think its a valid criticism, especially in regards to new players. As most people would most likely see the graphics as a negative in their first impressions.   

Agreed 100% on the cosmetics. Something needs to change.

Out-leveled content certainly falls out of favor as theres largely no point in running them. As you pointed out this happens in every mmo. My point was mostly aimed at the detrimental affects when selling items that bypass grind.

Specifically with the release of +3 tomes in the DDO store late 2011. This was the very first instance where raid loot or "pay 2 win" was sold in the store. Closest being mana pots before this. Click here to read the 22 page outcry.

Basically over night there was no reason to farm VoD, Hox, Abbot, Shroud, and Reavers for players who already had the items. As these were farmed constantly for the +3 tomes in the 20th lists. Raids that had a chance to drop a +4 tome like ToD, or epic raids were still farmed. I didnt complain since it meant I could stop farming those raids but it hurt the raiding scene for sure. Keep in mind that this trend continued with the next tier of tome released in the store (+4, +5, +6 etc.). Why farm the 20th lists for tomes when you can just buy them?

SSG would never release the source code. Nor would they even have the Pre-MotU source code. At least I highly doubt it. The only way to get a true 'Classic Server' (or any server for that matter) is to have a dedicated group of coders working on reverse engineering and writing their own code whilst servers are still running. This takes a considerable amount of time and effort. If the servers shut down before these efforts are made then its game over. 

Im posting this here for those who may not have seen it on page 3. You're welcome to critique or add things. Whether that be issues from the past or present that have plagued DDO and its player base.

The downfall of DDO
  • Shit servers/net code: Unplayable lag, especially in raids. Devs removing game features in hopes of "fixing" the issue. Example: Removing Fvs Archons ambient light and reducing combat sounds. Lag is much better now due to a much smaller player base. However, old 'Input' lag issues remain with actions like drinking pots and casting spells making the game feel clunky and unresponsive.
  • Old, clunky, and complicated: Dated graphics, clunky, and complicated. All barriers of entry for potential players.
  • Decade old F2P system: What was once revolutionary in late 2009 has now become a massive turn off for new players. Probably the worst F2P system of all mmos right now. A VIP sub is basically a necessity. Heres an example 
  • Character power that doesnt reset after a new expansion: Most MMOs use items as character power that eventually get reset with the release of a new expansion. Putting every player on equal footing come launch day. DDO has a decade worth of these game systems without any catch up mechanics creating a snowball effect that ends up hurting new and returning players.   
  • Degradation of the DnD theme: Now DDO is just a run of the mill fantasy mmo that happens to have a D20 system. Those looking for a "authentic" DnD experience will be largely disappointed. Heres an example
  • Too many servers: 8 servers for the small player base that ddo has is laughable. Those logging in will most likely see a ghost town on most servers. 
  • Selling raid loot/bypass items: Great short term profits but at the cost of severely reducing content life. Initially releasing +3 tomes in the store late 2011 killed off about half of the endgame raids overnight which were ran for +3 tomes in the 20th lists. This trend of selling tomes continues to this day. Raid Timer Bypasses and chest re-rolls quickly killed off what little new content there was.  
  • Killing off endgame players: Post-MotU expansion killed off the majority of endgame players. Trivializing years of endgame content due to the level increase. Complete lack of new endgame content and constant power creep. The true endgame were Epic Pastlives and Epic Destinies. Not items.
  • Digital attention spans and the mmo genre: MMOs have been on the decline for years. Modern digital attention spans getting shorter. People would rather play mobile games or BRs/MOBAs. 
  • Separating players via epic levels/expansions: Separating the player base between 20 heroic, 10 epic, and soon to be legendary levels. As well as more than a decade of content and paid expansions. This is hard to dodge and is a necessity for keeping the lights on but it has a detrimental affect to the playerbase.
  • Removal of the 'Holy Trinity' design: MotU expansion brought Epic Destinies which allowed players to essentially solo the game (not having to rely on healers). This probably saved the game in the long run due to the much smaller playerbase now. However, I cant help but feel like this impacted a ton of players who preferred focusing purely on dps or healing. Definitely a culture shock for players. Some probably quit shortly after, especially healers which were made obsolete.
  • Refusal to sell good cosmetics: A f2P mmo without good store bought cosmetics? Crazy. What you're left with is largely selling ways to bypass artificial barriers or grind.
  • Alts arent incentived: Players, especially newer ones reaching epic levels are largely stuck playing one character. Making them feel trapped as the grind needed to reach a competitive level is too high. Veterans who have had plenty of time to participate with the release of each grind are largely unscathed.
  • Bugs: The buggiest MMO I've ever played. Leaving DDO to play other MMOs left me with anxiety as I would question if abilities and items were working as intended (legit).
  • No PvP: While most players agree there's no need for PvP in DDO. One cant deny theres a considerable portion of players that focus on PvP rather than PvE in mmo's. DDO not having dedicated PvP alienates these types of potential players.
  • Bad raid designs: This is subjective but a lot of the raids in DDO, especially Post-MotU are ruined by either an over abundance of puzzles or just bad design. Think CitW, Deathwyrm, DoJ, Babas, Riding the Storm Out etc. Even good raids like LoB were plagued by a mandatory 40 minute clear to the entrance and confusing loot upgrades.

Honorable mentions: Not unique to DDO but worthy of mentioning.
  • Communication issues/lack of QA: Some examples: Devs not telling players pre-MotU of a hidden save bonus to mobs Epic Ward that gave extra saves depending on their percentage of health remaining. The fortification bypass portion of the rogues Opportunist Feat not working. Being borked for a year or two until two players tested it in the PvP pit and made a thread about it. I guess the devs didnt want to spend the 5 minutes testing it.
  • Baffling design choices/knee jerk reactions: Some examples: In order to make the endgame "harder". Updated 11 introduced increased raid boss damage, health, and increased fortification based on difficulty. This inadvertently destroyed rogue players on any difficulty above normal. As they not only had low health pools but 60% of their dps relied on Sneak Attacks. During 2014 the devs tried to balance Shiradi by giving rainbow/colors of the queen epic pastlife a chance to proc Radiant Forcefield and Adrenline on mobs. This also worked on raid bosses. This procced quite often giving raid bosses a near constant 25% reduced incoming damage and a chance to one shot players. It was removed sometime later in a patch.

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:47pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Unnecessary new systems such as PRR, MRR, spellcraft, fortification & loot changes completely ruined the D&D experience. But what are we to do? I saw the demo of BG3 with its coma-inducing turn based combat and went into depression for couple of days.
As for holy trinity, DDO cannot sustain that combat model with its current population. Mega server cannot come soon enough - even if it fucks the guilds and toon names.

IP Logged

Rose-tinted Goggles
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Nostalgia!

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:45pm:
You said basically all the same stuff two months ago, which you acknowledged at the start of this thread.  I'm just not sure that there's much reason for restating the same things.

I've been slowly editing/refining that post over 2+ months in preparation for this thread. Much more convenient than creating a wordpad doc. Ill admit I'm pretty lazy at times.   

Originally it looked more like this with some slight grammar tweaks.

I felt it was worth its own thread with the tweaks to spark more discussion. Some people may not have seen it as well. Although you do have a valid point.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2020 at 7:23pm by Rose-tinted Goggles »  

IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
You needed 2 month for that post?!

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
DDO should be a game that attracts people who like DnD. That should be it's main strategy to get players. The more it goes away from PnP, the worse. MotU with EDs destroyed the gameplay when it was at its best. From there on, things got worse and worse as everything they did was in a direction against DnD. I wonder if someone else will ever launch a game with DnD 3.5 or 5 rules.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I should also note that generally I agree with your points as I posted in the other thread. But not about the graphics. For me the simplier the better. DDO graphs are ok, and actually I would like to see less effects. Since they introduced EDs, new weapons and a bunch of new effects the game is just more annoying with many explosions and light effects.

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Mar 30th, 2020 at 6:36pm:
Made an earlier version of this in another thread. Refined and added some things. Took some ideas from other posters as well. Thoughts? (there may be some overlap issues)

Translation:

Rose-tinted Goggles wrote on Mar 30th, 2020 at 6:36pm:
I'm rehasing
the same old complaints and whining about a game that is pretty great and that I care enough to whine about for attention.... again

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #15 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Ok, UnknownComplainer, we’ve seen your shitty post. Now please shut up.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Vaultaccount wrote on Apr 2nd, 2020 at 6:16pm:
DDO should be a game that attracts people who like DnD. That should be it's main strategy to get players. The more it goes away from PnP, the worse. MotU with EDs destroyed the gameplay when it was at its best. From there on, things got worse and worse as everything they did was in a direction against DnD. I wonder if someone else will ever launch a game with DnD 3.5 or 5 rules.

The irony to me is DDO is moving more towards 4e and 5e.

It's a bastardization to attract modern gaming audiences not the folks that still scream ADD was the best, or those of us who proclaim 3.5e supreme.

It wouldn't be bad if there was some consistency in these changes. Each one feels discordant and some attempt to fix an issue their previous addition added.

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Apr 3rd, 2020 at 10:19am:
The irony to me is DDO is moving more towards 4e and 5e.

By going level 40? By adding more and more grind nonsense? Commoneer levels... By moving in the jack of all trades direction, where DPS and self survival jack of all trades becoming the way to go? No, it is going in the direction of any other MMO, becoming just another MMO, loosing in what made it unique. I mean, reaper was something that revitalized the game in 2017, but they ruined it.

The problem is DDO cannot try to become liek one of these games. Because it has too much baggage from the old system. Like the learning curve that is very big, all the inherent power you acummulate trought the years, that in other games are resetted, the capitalization mechanism, and other stuff that is unique to DDO and the OP showed. They have to decide than, either DDO become fully like these other MMO's, or it comes back it's own way. Trying to stay in the middle is not very great.

Edrein wrote on Apr 3rd, 2020 at 10:19am:
It's a bastardization to attract modern gaming audiences

Pretty much. So it's becoming just another seasonal MMO like many other "modern games", that these audiences play for a month or 2 and leave. As said above, that would even be kind of ok if they got rid of the systems of the past that don't work for this model of game. The problem is that DDO is in the middle ground, became a "modern seasonal MMO wannabe", and grown up people should know "wannabes" and those who stay on the wall suck at everything because they didn't decide to be a thing.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2020 at 10:36am by Vaultaccount »  

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Apr 3rd, 2020 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
I see threads like this posted.. and it reminds me of a vid I saw recently...

Some annoying little shit is riding his skateboard down a series of steps at the base of a multi-story apartment complex.. as he's jumping down the flight of stairs making his scraping and smacking sounds with his board.. an old lady up on the 3rd floor tosses a planter full of dirt and fucking NAILS the annoying little shit....

... bombs away motherfucker... bombs away...
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2020 at 9:59pm by ZooperDooper »  

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:45pm:
A more appropriate title might have been "Dormammu, I've come to bargain"

It's just really bad rubberbanding because of lag Grin

Actually, I find thinking about where DDO went wrong a lot more fun than actually playing the game these days, so I'm glad to see it back up in a new incarnation.

Hardcore_Girl wrote on Apr 1st, 2020 at 7:30am:
Unnecessary new systems such as PRR, MRR, spellcraft, fortification & loot changes completely ruined the D&D experience. But what are we to do? I saw the demo of BG3 with its coma-inducing turn based combat and went into depression for couple of days.
As for holy trinity, DDO cannot sustain that combat model with its current population. Mega server cannot come soon enough - even if it fucks the guilds and toon names.

and
Vaultaccount wrote on Apr 2nd, 2020 at 6:16pm:

This is my take also (except the megaserver, there is a lot more at stake than toon names and guilds) - constantly making changes to the underlying mechanics is a terrible decision.

What makes this game different is how forward thinking you have to be to play it well. People plan their characters out years in advance. If you change the rules mid way, you invalidate, or at least substantially degrade, their investment. By making frequent changes, only the seriously dedicated power gamers get a shot at playing the character they planned, everybody else has the rug pulled out from under them.

People who want to think that far ahead are already a niche market, to further limit it to people who can treat the game like a full time job to get their character done before the rules change again is idiotic.

New content is great, just not new rules. New items are OK, as long as they are comparable to existing items in power. They'd get better performance, fewer bugs, and keep their entire body of content relevant, providing an effective barrier to entry for new competitors. Because right now a new competitor could match their amount of relevant content with 6 months of coding.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Apr 5th, 2020 at 8:57am:
Actually, I find thinking about where DDO went wrong a lot more fun than actually playing the game these days

This sub-forum should be renamed Old Ladies' Complaint Department.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

ILoveExploits
Horoluth Raider

I Love Exploits!

Reply #21 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
It is not dying. It is dead.

Dear players,

The D&D rules you were familiar with were too simple to understand, so we're continuing our move away from them to needlessly confusing subsystems that will make your play experience less fun and invalidate old builds and loot. We hope you have fun working out what the fuck MRR, PRR, MP, SP, RP, CL, MCL and all the other bullshit we made up whilst drunk means.

Love,

People who don't know how to fix their own mistakes cleanly

IP Logged

Vaultaccount
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Apr 6th, 2020 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 5th, 2020 at 11:10am:
This sub-forum should be renamed Old Ladies' Complaint Department.

This is a symptom that we are right

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #23 - Apr 8th, 2020 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Thought briefly about killing a week in the game since I've actually got some down time now.  Logged into the forums and saw it flooded with posts about crippling lag.

Don't know and don't care if they're still offering all the packs for free.  I'll be continuing to play other games.

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #24 - Apr 8th, 2020 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Skoodge wrote on Apr 8th, 2020 at 10:49am:
Thought briefly about killing a week in the game since I've actually got some down time now.  Logged into the forums and saw it flooded with posts about crippling lag.

Don't know and don't care if they're still offering all the packs for free.  I'll be continuing to play other games.

^This

I went in to try for a horse despite the warnings, and it's pathetic. Maybe I notice it more because I haven't seen it creep up, like the frog in heating water. Maybe I'm spoiled by how much better other games I'm playing handle it. Whatever the reason, I just couldn't take the current lag.

I gave up before earning even a single horse feather.

Maybe I'll go back and try some night when I have insomnia, but for now no amount of free content is worth subjecting myself to that.

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint