Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Maximum run speed (Read 3843 times)
kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Maximum run speed
Aug 31st, 2020 at 5:55am
Print Post  
I like to zip around, it makes completions faster. So I'm thinking about the "final" life for this character I'm working on at the moment.

I think a Bardbarian can only get to 29% so Monk base seems like the fastest you can get. Lucky for me I like Monks.

As far as I can tell, 18Mnk (35%) / 2Rog (2%) is going to win out. Falconry for Wis to hit/dmg and Sprint Boost. LD for extra Sprint Boosts. Sacrificing DPS for speed because he has enough DPS anyway so picking up that 2% in TA. Losing the capstone will be a bit of a pain but I can stomach it.

Am I missing anything? I can't see another way to get the base higher but I am thick as fuck so there's a good chance I'm not seeing something.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Maximum run speed
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 7:12am
Print Post  
12 monk - 25%
8 druid - winter wolf 18%

Whether or not they stack, I got no god damn clue. Try an iconic.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Thank you! Yes that's the kind of thing I expected I'd missed, cheers. I'll do some testing tonight, much obliged.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Yes seems to be right, thanks for that. A 1Ftr/6Mnk/8Drd reports +(15+18)% when in form. Not doing a frame by frame on it but by feel it does seems to stack!

Now to try and find an old char with a +20 Heart and suitable class levels to figure out if this playable. Smiley

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 9:16am
Print Post  
If you want to go nuts on theorycrafting, someone might have a leftover Barbarian Monk from when that was possible.

I don't remember if Druid was available at the time, so I don't know if the full build could be made.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 10:44am
Print Post  

Monk 12 is +20% Run Speed, not 25%.

Druid 8 Winter Wolf speed is indeed +18%.

+38% is still probably the best you can get.

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I made a max run speed build a year ago.. constant flat out crazy.. easily outpaced a Monks Abundant Step and simply too fast to control effectively.

It was great for traveling non-combat areas like running from encounter to encounter in Baba or simply getting thru wilderness.. but in mob based maps it is wasted movements and overshoots

Add boosts and it got farcical. I took it down after discussing with other how we didn't need a bunch of people running around crack-head speed and convincing Staff they needed to cut movement rates in half due to 'over-performing'

IP Logged

Mattyo
Dragon Raider

Rum & Coke. DO IT!

Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Speaking of run speeds, what are the increased run speed options for kiting in KT?

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 10:44am:
Monk 12 is +20% Run Speed, not 25%.

Druid 8 Winter Wolf speed is indeed +18%.

+38% is still probably the best you can get.

Thank you! See, I thought that but the wiki disagreed and claimed 5% base for 1Mnk then +5% at each breakpoint after. I'll check the numbers when I build another Iconic, cheers.

ZooperDooper wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 11:47am:
I made a max run speed build a year ago.. constant flat out crazy.. easily outpaced a Monks Abundant Step and simply too fast to control effectively.

It was great for traveling non-combat areas like running from encounter to encounter in Baba or simply getting thru wilderness.. but in mob based maps it is wasted movements and overshoots

Add boosts and it got farcical. I took it down after discussing with other how we didn't need a bunch of people running around crack-head speed and convincing Staff they needed to cut movement rates in half due to 'over-performing'

Haha I won't be posting youtubes of it outrunning anything important like those shits who got FVS wings nerfed, don't worry. Smiley

What was your build, out of interest? I'm still leaning towards either 18Mnk/2Rog because it's just a nice build anyway, or maybe even 19Rog/1Bbn and sacrificing some speed for deeps.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Hmm actually now I think about it the reported speed on the character sheet did meet the expectations set by the wiki. Maybe I forgot about 10% for VIP.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 9:16am:
If you want to go nuts on theorycrafting, someone might have a leftover Barbarian Monk from when that was possible.

I don't remember if Druid was available at the time, so I don't know if the full build could be made.

Haha, I regret not trying this at the time. A guildy told me it was possible but I bottled it as the build is pretty clear proof of exploitation. Smiley They did close all the alignment workarounds though iirc.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Mattyo wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:35pm:
Speaking of run speeds, what are the increased run speed options for kiting in KT?

Are you talking about Dragon or shadows?

For shadows, literally anything over hasted running is great. I think they travel at the equivalent of 25%. So haste should outpace them barely. But a bad turn and it can get hairy. I've done it on my pally several times who has +10% from SD tree. No problems.

Yes. Kiting shadows with a THF dps toon in heavy armor. Works great. Smiley

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #12 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:47pm:
Maybe I forgot about 10% for VIP.

Doh. Forgot about that. So, that applies to the pally I was referring to.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #13 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 2:26pm:
Doh. Forgot about that. So, that applies to the pally I was referring to.

I think that's only in public areas so no influence on what you said.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 4:54pm
Print Post  

I was under the assumption that mobs speed up to match their speed with the player to some degree? Sometimes I see someone activate a sprint boost or rallying cry and the mobs in the quest all speed up dramatically. Or do the shadows specifically not speed up?

IP Logged

NOTpopejubal
Epic Poster

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 6:04pm
Print Post  

I used to tank the Shadows in Heroic with Fire Shield and a couple of Cold absorption items. Is that viable in KT?

I liked tanking because I could throw some damage at them to get real aggro instead of losing it to some shitbag who failed to turn off their lantern archon.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 6:04pm:
I used to tank the Shadows in Heroic with Fire Shield and a couple of Cold absorption items. Is that viable in KT?

I liked tanking because I could throw some damage at them to get real aggro instead of losing it to some shitbag who failed to turn off their lantern archon.

I think they're tuned up a fair amount. I've done it with fireshield and ~150 MRR. I can't really sit there without heals on me. I mean, as a pally, I can LoH fine. But, I couldn't keep up with just cure serious/moderate/light I don't think. Or, not long enough. I don't twist cocoon. If I did, maybe I could keep up. I mean if I swapped to sentinel, I'm pretty sure I could do it adding renewal in. But, kiting is just easier on resources. Inevitably, they'll tag me here/there on a bad turn. That's no problem.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2020 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
NOTpopejubal wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 6:04pm:

The main issue with the shadows is not tanking/kiting the first wave but being able to aggro the second wave when the pit fiend reaches a certain health threshold.

People normally fight the pit fiend on the throne, when the pit fiend loses some health, more shadows spawn, and two of them spawn right next to the throne IIRC.

Whoever is kiting the shadows needs to be able to aggro the new shadows pretty quickly or they will fly up to the throne and people will start dying. So sitting in a corner tanking the shadows isnt really an option even if you can do it because the shadows that spawn next to the throne are going to go straight for the rest of the party.

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 8:38am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 8:15pm:
Whoever is kiting the shadows needs to be able to aggro the new shadows pretty quickly or they will fly up to the throne and people will start dying. So sitting in a corner tanking the shadows isnt really an option even if you can do it because the shadows that spawn next to the throne are going to go straight for the rest of the party.

It doesn't have to be in a corner.  You could be in the middle, close  enough to keep AoEs running on the stairs to grab aggro.  Same thing we did back in ToD in the day.

I haven't tried tanking the shadows in KT yet, but plan to give it a go when I get back to Druid in a bit.  But getting aggro isn't  the part of it I'm worried about.  We'll see whether I have enough cold absorb or not.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Having now tested 18Mnk/2Rog and 12Mnk/8Dru, I'll definitely be going with the former. Admittedly they were undergeared mules but the Rogue splash felt a lot more playable and fun, even if it does lose a few % over the other. The difference didn't feel significant enough to be tied to Winter Wolf, for me anyway.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Sep 1st, 2020 at 8:38am:
It doesn't have to be in a corner.  You could be in the middle, close  enough to keep AoEs running on the stairs to grab aggro.  Same thing we did back in ToD in the day.

I haven't tried tanking the shadows in KT yet, but plan to give it a go when I get back to Druid in a bit.  But getting aggro isn't  the part of it I'm worried about.  We'll see whether I have enough cold absorb or not.

You can also tag em with a thrower if you're tanking. Not too big a deal.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #21 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 12:45pm:
I'm still leaning towards either 18Mnk/2Rog because it's just a nice build anyway,

Whatever monk build you're doing, it's not worth giving up a capstone for 2% run speed. Pure monk + sprint boost is plenty fast. You don't even need to be in LD if you have TF Reinvigoration to regen them. (The cooldown reduction in LD is nice though if you want to use them back to back though.)

ManyCookies wrote on Aug 31st, 2020 at 8:15pm:
The main issue with the shadows is not tanking/kiting the first wave but being able to aggro the second wave when the pit fiend reaches a certain health threshold.

I've kited the shadows many times on my thrower. That is not how it works. There are 3 waves of 2 shadows each (for a total of 6) and they are timed. The shadows alone are not a threat, they will never touch you with pure monk speed unless you mess up. So the hard part is actually kiting Nythirios long enough (because you can't stay out of his spell range) for all of the shadows to spawn before the rest of the group enters the room.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Sep 2nd, 2020 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
I was under the impression that the shadows were tied to the pit fiend's hp. If its timed, that makes it easier, thanks.

Im guessing the shadows do not speed up to match the player's speed like mobs in other quests then? As otherwise, it wouldnt matter how much speed you have.

What spells does the pit fiend use? I think he uses meteor at least. Would evasion be enough to dodge most or all of his spell damage?

Sometimes i end up in a party and nobody has a speed increse to kite shadows and things tend to get problematic. What would you suggest is the easiest way to handle the shadow part in that case?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #23 - Sep 3rd, 2020 at 2:13am
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Sep 2nd, 2020 at 11:47pm:
Im guessing the shadows do not speed up to match the player's speed like mobs in other quests then? As otherwise, it wouldnt matter how much speed you have.

I don't think that's a thing. Or at least that is not the best way of explaining what is observed. If that were true, there would be no point in kiting anything ever.

I mean obviously some mobs can just zoom up to you no matter what you're doing (like the LoB) and others teleport, but that's obviously not what you're talking about.

I think some mobs are just faster than PCs. The thing is the AI doesn't have to deal with a W button. PC speed is all or nothing, so if you have 150% speed and the mob has 130% running away from a melee character then you're going to be tapping W in a halting stutter step trying to keep the mob's hit box inside your reach. Meanwhile if you have 150% speed and the mob has 180% speed, they are going to catch up to you and then just match your speed, hitting you the whole time.

This checks out in game, I was recently running a rogue thrower with 150% run speed in Memory Lapse. Normally he can kite stuff no problem at that speed, but the Book Bats in there (or whatever they are called) just calmly matched my speed, bitch slapping me the whole time.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #24 - Sep 3rd, 2020 at 2:16am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Sep 3rd, 2020 at 2:13am:
I think some mobs are just faster than PCs. The thing is the AI doesn't have to deal with a W button. PC speed is all or nothing, so if you have 150% speed and the mob has 130% running away from a melee character then you're going to be tapping W in a halting stutter step trying to keep the mob's hit box inside your reach. Meanwhile if you have 150% speed and the mob has 180% speed, they are going to catch up to you and then just match your speed, hitting you the whole time.

And if you have 150% speed and the mob has 180% speed and you hit a 30% sprint boost, the mob is going to speed up and keep pace with you. It will look like mobs are just matching your speed at whatever it is...and they are in a sense, but only because they were holding back when you were moving slower.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint