Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is it possible to make a decent bard inquis build? (Read 1434 times)
ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Is it possible to make a decent bard inquis build?
Sep 4th, 2020 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Was wondering if it's possible. Inquis seems like it would fit a bard, but the trees don't support it at all.

-You can swashbuckle with crossbows, but there is no point, as it doesn't give you any special crit modifiers as crossbows are not mentioned in the level 3 swashbuckling core.

-There is no way to get cha to hit/damage till the new tree is out, and IIRC, it doesn't have a cha trance

-To get a cha trance you would need to splash cleric or fvs

Another problem is the way the ballad scales. It's pretty weak unless you go fatesinger + take spellsinger or warchanter t4s and t5s. You also need at least 15 levels of Bard to get inspire heroics added to your ballad, which makes it hard to do splits, unlike Rogue where you only need 10 levels for opportunist.

Going inq t5 + getting int to damage from harper will also prevent you from getting much in the spell singer or warchanter trees so you end up with a weak ballad.

Fatesinger only gives 4 RP per level, so it's also not an option for ranged builds unless you main another ED and just twist the song buffs from fatesinger.

Something like a bard 16/artificer 2/rogue 2 would have a ballad that gives :

-+3 to hit/damage from inspire courage

-+3 to hit/damage if you twist first harmonic cord. Additional +3 to hit/damage for yourself only.

-Inspire greatness : Allies and yourself benefit from +20 Temporary Hit Points, +3 Physical Resistance Rating, an +10 Healing Amplification as long as your are not incapacitated and they are within the Ballad.

-Inspire heroics : +4 Music Bonus to Armor Class, +4% Music Bonus to Dodge, and a +4 Music bonus to all saves.

-+3 to hit from Warchanter : Inspired Bravery

-+2 to damage from the level 3 and 6 Warchanter cores

-Greater Heroism from the level 6 warchanter core

-+6 PRR from Warchanter : ironskin

-+6% doubleshot/doublestrike and +9 universal spellpower from Warchanter : recklessness

-Level 12 warchanter core that lets you give temp hp = cha score, doubled in epic levels.

For a total of +9 to hit, +8 to damage, +9 PRR, +6% doubleshot/doublestrike, +9 universal spellpower, cha score as temp hp, 10 heal amp, +4 Music Bonus to Armor Class, +4% Music Bonus to Dodge, +4 Music bonus to all saves and Greater Heroism.

You can twist third harmonic chord for an additional 3 PRR and 10 heal amp to your ballad.

Does that sound like a decent ballad for a bard inquis build?

Tree wise, it's 41 ap in inquis, 13 ap in harper and 24 ap in warchanter. That leaves 2 ap left over (not counting tomes).

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Re: Is it possible to make a decent bard inquis build?
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure what the range on the ballad is either, so it might be hard to cover the melee guys with it if you are playing a ranged bard.

This isnt supposed to be a r10 optimized build by the way, just decent enough to get some bard past lives, still be able to kill stuff while leveling and contribute in some end game content. Maybe r6, PN on hard, etc.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Sep 4th, 2020 at 3:42pm:
This isnt supposed to be a r10 optimized build by the way, just decent enough to get some bard past lives, still be able to kill stuff while leveling and contribute in some end game content. Maybe r6, PN on hard, etc.

If thats all you're needing to do yeah, it'll get bard PLs. Are you doing 1-20 or 15-30?

So far as I know - you want 2 lvls of artificer for rune arms. Wouldn't 2lvls of fighter be better for extra ranged feats? They did nerf improved precise shot but not that badly.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I was thinking tiefling scoundrel so 15-30.

Does that seem like a decent ballad to you?

I didnt fully flesh out the build, it was just an idea I had. Looking at the feats though, it does seem like it would be short on feats.

Insightful reflexes, precision, point blank shot, precise shot, rapid shot, improved critical and improved precise shot would take up all the feat slots in heroics. You wouldnt be able to get IPS till level 18.

No quicken spell either for rejuv cocoon in epics. Not sure how big of a deal this is since concentration has been buffed.

Artificer levels would give you rapid reload + conjure bolts as a spell (no need to take conjure bolts in the inq tree) + bonus SP based on int + runearms. So 2 levels of fighter would only give you an extra feat slot over that.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Honestly I've personally never been any good at bards. The songs take so damn long and quests are so short, I don't think anyone really bothers.

Do you already have PLs/tomes?

Also i was suggesting 2 lvls of fighter instead of 2 lvls of rogue. You absolutely want the 2 artificer levels for... just... everything.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Ballad is automatic now. Its an AOE buff that is centered on yourself, everyone in the AOE gets the buff as long as the bard isnt dead. Not sure how big the range is though.

I have a +8 supreme tome and some PLs, yea.

Hmm, 2 levels of fighter instead of 2 levels of rogue is an interesting option. No evasion would suck though. You wouldnt be able to max out trapping skills with only 2 levels of rogue either, since you need 23 skill ranks in open lock, disable device and search. I'm not even sure if 4 trapping levels would be enough.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2020 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
If you're just zerging to 30 though how badly do you really need to trap?

Basically you're looking for a leveling build, not a do-anything build. You want to focus on DPS/survivability/etc. 2 Rogue levels for evasion might be better, but you also aren't jumping into combat. Just food for thought.

IP Logged

TheFifthSock
Dragon Raider

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 4:29am
Print Post  
I did a scoundrel life as bard 9/ranger 9/arty 2 for bard life. A bit as experiment, but it worked quite nicely. You'll have room for all needed feats, some small song benefits, runearm, trapping, evasion, some self healing, blur and haste. Just play it as inquisitor, and don't focus so much on the bard parts.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 5:22am
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Sep 4th, 2020 at 6:57pm:
If you're just zerging to 30 though how badly do you really need to trap?

Basically you're looking for a leveling build, not a do-anything build. You want to focus on DPS/survivability/etc. 2 Rogue levels for evasion might be better, but you also aren't jumping into combat. Just food for thought.

I was just thinking that if you are going to play a bard, you may as well get a decent ballad to go along with it.

The way I see it, if you are going to take a couple of trapping levels, might as well find a way to bump those 3 trapping skills up. Extra xp is always nice, and evasion allows you to ignore most ranged magical damage which I find really useful. Being able to ignore traps while trapping is another huge benefit.

On second thought, bard 15/rogue 3/artificer 2 would be better, the 16th level of bard doesnt really get you anything for an inquis build. You could start at level 15 with Bard 11/Rogue 2/Artificer 2 and just take the last rogue level at 20 for trapping skills.

IP Logged

crunch
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Add Inspire Excellence to the list of buffs if you have a spare epic feat. Requires Bard 12.

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2020 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Thats part of the single target buffs isnt it? Not sure how long the duration will be if you are only taking 15 levels of bard and only taking a few warchanter enhancements.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint