Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Wood elf sorcerer (Read 5124 times)
Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Wood elf sorcerer
Dec 5th, 2021 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
This won't be for everybody, but was surprisingly good for leveling. I'm not top tier like a lot of you guys are, I mainly solo R1 to R4 and group when I can. This worked for that so I thought I would share.

I've just been running racials for a while and wanted a sorcerer I could take into epics but that could heal OK during heroic. Warforged was out because it doesn't play with elemental form and I hate scroll healing.

There are basically no essential enhancements for sorcerers while leveling and wood elf Vigor has a shorter cooldown than one might think and is overall a pretty relaxed way of staying at 95%+ full hp's for most of every quest. Works even better on others in group and a surprise healing sorcerer has been welcomed. I'll probably not use it in epics and will be 8% fire crit down compared to a tiefling, but what's that - one occasional extra spell to cast?

Anyway, hope it's of use to someone.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Wood elf sorcerer
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2021 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Good info for heroic leveling. Only really works for three racials though if you know what I mean Tongue

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2021 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Most nukers use exalted, which has better heals.

Aasimar heals better

Primal might also heal better

And having elemental form as a clickie on BFG / WFG... you get it by now

Most sorcerers are also tight on enhancements

Good stuff for awareness though.

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2021 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Yes I probably wouldn't use it on anything bar sorcerer for racials.

In reply to Linker, as I said, I don't plan to use it in epics, I'll respec. It was just for heroic. Yes Aasimar might have a few big heals but not many per rest for heroic and for topping up it's scrolls or pots or bringing the hireling from where he's parked at the start as my emergency rez, which is all I really use it for. I prefer the convenience of pretty much constant regen if needed.

Everyone plays their own way, I liked it way more than expected so thought I'd share as I've gotten so many good tips from here over the years.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2021 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Scroll healing is super easy on a sorc.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2021 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 9th, 2021 at 1:02pm:

Yes but scroll healing sucks.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Get good?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 13th, 2021 at 11:14am:
Get good?

Ok, let's drop the metaphors: scroll healing is not fun.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 9th, 2021 at 1:02pm:

Agree with this.

I have a razor naga mouse. Button 7 is generally my self heal. Scrolls worked as good or better than cocoon--for example.

But, if you are using keyboard number keys, I could see it being annoying.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Dec 13th, 2021 at 7:32pm:
Agree with this.

I have a razor naga mouse. Button 7 is generally my self heal. Scrolls worked as good or better than cocoon--for example.

But, if you are using keyboard number keys, I could see it being annoying.

I tried out one of those - couldn't get used to it. Maybe I need to test it again now that I have a somewhat cleaner mouse pad.

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
OK, I want to be convinced to try scroll healing now. I have always found it un-fun and also a dps loss and have therefore steered clear of it, though I admit I haven't given it a fair go.

Surely having a quickened heal spell of any kind casting in some fraction of a second is better than equip scroll, cast scroll, re-equip main hand weapon. On a sorcerer that's probably at least the time taken to cast two offensive spells. Unless you guys just use the scrolls to top up as you run along, but surely even the really great players sometimes need to scroll heal in a fight when a couple of reapers suddenly jump you?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Binkey wrote on Dec 13th, 2021 at 8:08pm:
but surely even the really great players sometimes need to scroll heal in a fight when a couple of reapers suddenly jump you?

If they do they'll never admit to it.

Honestly I have a lot of trouble with the lag. DDO misses key-presses frequently for me, which is fine for spamming offensive spells but not as appreciated for the complex equip scroll - cast scroll - re-equip process. I think this is why I abandoned melees in the first place - got tired of DDO missing my weapon-change commands.

If you're in heroics its not so bad, you can afford to just keep a scroll equipped main-hand full-time. In epics though there's so much good and easy self-healing there's really no point. Personally I use Aasimar LoH, Noble Affinity Mass Cure Moderate Wounds SLA, and Coccoon + a LOT of healing amplification. The Noble Affinity SLA is nice because of the short cooldown(9 seconds) with bonus points for helping out the team in reaper.

IP Logged

Ferd
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 13th, 2021 at 8:28pm:
...for the complex equip scroll - cast scroll - re-equip process....
Shocked

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
With all their attempts to slow the game by introducing all the swap cool downs, surely this is getting hard.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Binkey wrote on Dec 13th, 2021 at 8:08pm:
OK, I want to be convinced to try scroll healing now. I have always found it un-fun and also a dps loss and have therefore steered clear of it, though I admit I haven't given it a fair go.

Surely having a quickened heal spell of any kind casting in some fraction of a second is better than equip scroll, cast scroll, re-equip main hand weapon. On a sorcerer that's probably at least the time taken to cast two offensive spells. Unless you guys just use the scrolls to top up as you run along, but surely even the really great players sometimes need to scroll heal in a fight when a couple of reapers suddenly jump you?

Scroll healing is easy on a sorc because

A) your Cha should be maxed, so your UMD % should be at or near 100%. Scroll healing does suck a lot if you can't hit like 90% or better UMD. And it sucks a bit if you need item swaps and/or buffs to get there.

B) a sorc with a scroll in hand is not disarmed like a melee. Sorc can cast all their spells, just with ~50 less spellpower (or whatever your mainhand stick was giving you.) Melee on the other hand is punching people with the scroll for zero DPS. (Worst is a monk, sometimes you punch monsters with scroll equipped for a while before realizing it.)

Honestly I have a lot of trouble with the lag. DDO misses key-presses frequently for me, which is fine for spamming offensive spells but not as appreciated for the complex equip scroll - cast scroll - re-equip process. I think this is why I abandoned melees in the first place - got tired of DDO missing my weapon-change commands.

It's really not complex. If "1" is your heal scroll key, then you press 1 to equip them and press it again to cast it. If no mobs are in face, reequip caster stick. If mobs are in face, burninate them with scroll still equipped, then push the reequip caster stick button.

If you expect to have lag all the time and you can't do anything to fix/mitigate it, then you need to play in lag mode. You should be double tapping most every key press for starters. So if "1" is your heal scroll key, then you hit it 4 times to heal yourself. Regardless of what you are using on the hotbars, the universal cooldown will always negate the second press if the first press registers.

If you're in heroics its not so bad, you can afford to just keep a scroll equipped main-hand full-time. In epics though there's so much good and easy self-healing there's really no point. Personally I use Aasimar LoH, Noble Affinity Mass Cure Moderate Wounds SLA, and Coccoon + a LOT of healing amplification. The Noble Affinity SLA is nice because of the short cooldown(9 seconds) with bonus points for helping out the team in reaper.

Yeah epic levels are obviously a whole 'nother ball game for heals. Scrolls are usually going to be your backup heal there. For use when your primary heal is on cooldown/out of charges/out of SP/etc.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2021 at 11:41am by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #15 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 14th, 2021 at 11:37am:
It's really not complex. If "1" is your heal scroll key, then you press 1 to equip them and press it again to cast it. If no mobs are in face, reequip caster stick. If mobs are in face, burninate them with scroll still equipped, then push the reequip caster stick button.

Explain it like I'm 5.

j/k, obviously I'm familiar with the mechanics. But when DDO is missing key-presses left right and sideways it becomes "complex" unless you can keep the heal scroll equipped 24/7. The missed key presses aren't do big a deal when you're just spamming hotbarred spells, but there are all sorts of weird interactions and extra cooldowns for switching items. A lot of the time it feels like you literally have to stop moving and stop casting in order for DDO to register the swap command.

5 Foot Step wrote on Dec 14th, 2021 at 11:37am:
Yeah epic levels are obviously a whole 'nother ball game for heals. Scrolls are usually going to be your backup heal there. For use when your primary heal is on cooldown/out of charges/out of SP/etc.

In epics I keep scrolls on hand for party heals. I use Primal Stance Fast Healing to keep my own HP topped off between battles and the aforementioned techniques to hot-button heal.

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #16 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Put the scroll in your hotkey bar, slot it to a key, such as "1". click that key a bunch of times when you need to heal. Swap back to your main weapon sometime.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #17 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Linker wrote on Dec 14th, 2021 at 1:35pm:
Put the scroll in your hotkey bar, slot it to a key, such as "1". click that key a bunch of times when you need to heal. Swap back to your main weapon sometime.

Can you dumb it down a little more?

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 14th, 2021 at 2:06pm:
Can you dumb it down a little more?

Durp a da durp, durp DURPA durpa durp-durp.. da-DURP!

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Dec 14th, 2021 at 3:20pm:
Durp a da durp, durp DURPA durpa durp-durp.. da-DURP!

Sorry... can you make it just a little simpler?

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #20 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Scroll healing can actually help you with cooldown manipulation.

I hate it too btw, doesn't scale well. That's why I play toasters.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #21 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Linker wrote on Dec 14th, 2021 at 3:42pm:
Scroll healing can actually help you with cooldown manipulation.

I hate it too btw, doesn't scale well. That's why I play toasters.

That is certainly good to know. I'm not terribly excited about anything active like that, though, to be honest. Gets into having to preform way too many actions for my tastes. I think we forget sometimes that games are about fun.

IP Logged

ZooperDooper
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Dec 14th, 2021 at 3:36pm:
Sorry... can you make it just a little simpler?

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #23 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
ZooperDooper wrote on Dec 14th, 2021 at 5:21pm:

Ooooh. Ok. I get it now. Man. It was so obvious.

IP Logged

Linker
Dragon Raider

It's all the same

Reply #24 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Fuck that casual ass fun bullshit excuse
Learn to scroll heal
Then reject it for the right reasons
You’ll probably have heal scrolls anyways for 90% of the games negative conditions
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2021 at 6:36pm by Linker »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint