Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Solasta (Read 725 times)
iGouger
Ex Member

Solasta
Jul 6th, 2022 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Over the weekend, I started playing Solasta, a game which I picked up on the Steam summer sales. Holy shit is it good.

When I first started DDO some 12 years ago, I was under the impression that I would get a fairly authentic tabletop experience, translated to the PC screen. Even 12 years ago, this wasn't exactly the case (although I would argue that 2010 DDO was a lot closer to Pen & Paper than 2022 DDO is).

But Solasta is far closer to tabletop than DDO ever was, and I consider that a very good thing. In Solasta, you can fully customize an adventuring party of 4 characters, from several classes: Cleric, Paladin, Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid and Barbarian (the last two are DLC I think). Things like vision, elevation, line of sight, and cover actually matter - think "XCOM Enemy Unknown mechanics, but with tabletop D&D and all the goodness that entails."

It's so refreshing to see AC actually matter. My fighter has 18 AC and he feels almost untouchable; compare that to DDO, where 18 AC was never ever good lol. Resource management via rest spots and stuff like that actually matters.

Oh yes, there's also supposedly multiplayer co op, although I haven't touched that yet. I'm about 10 hours into the single player campaign.

Just thought I'd mention this here in case anyone's been on the lookout for a more authentic tabletop experience. And also to maybe solicit thoughts/opinions from anyone else who's played Solasta.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Re: Solasta
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2022 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Hmmm...I'll take a look.

My wife and I are looking at other games but we want something we can play together.

Maybe this is it.

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Quote:
It's so refreshing to see AC actually matter. My fighter has 18 AC and he feels almost untouchable; compare that to DDO, where 18 AC was never ever good lol. Resource management via rest spots and stuff like that actually matters.

AC did matter in early days of DDO. We had monks in their pyjamas tanking Sullo and Horoth before MoTU. But as you said, it was either you were untouchable or you got hit. AC scaling doesn't work very well with D&D and PRR was introduced to mitigate but Turbine fucked it up with their timing, communication and the way they implemented it.

But I will give Solasta a try, thank you.

IP Logged

iGouger
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Maybe I joined too late after that point, then. I recall trying to make an AC Paladin tank in the early days pre MOTU when I first joined, and it was awful. You needed 90 or 100 AC+ for it to matter, and then you'd also need threat generation since you'd be dealing almost no damage. And this was before MRR, so there was no way to mitigate spell damage when wearing heavy plate armor.

I eventually did the math, realized I'd need several past lives and a loadout full of raid gear for an AC build to work, and said "fuck it." What's the point of farming raid gear, just so you can tank those raids more easily? I'd rather TR and enjoy the game's whole breadth of quests, instead of grind the same 2 or 3 raids every 3 days. By that point, DDO was going the way of DPS = king anyway, and eventually introduced Melee Power + PRR and the rest is history.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on Jul 6th, 2022 at 12:02pm:
Hmmm...I'll take a look.

My wife and I are looking at other games but we want something we can play together.

Maybe this is it.

Same. I got her playing tabletop but she had never really played MMOs  or games in general and never could get used to the fast pace of DDO.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2022 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Anyone able to make a comparison to Divinity Original Sin 2 ?

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint