Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Stealth nerf? (Read 16904 times)
liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Stealth nerf?
Oct 17th, 2022 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I’d been farming Saltmarshes off and on for months now.  Whenever I had off, down time (not enough to run quests), I’d grab my highest level character and do two or three passes because the drop rates were just insane.  On average 8-10 rares would spawn per run and it only took about 10 minutes to do the complete circle.  Way better drop rates than any of the RL quests or even WPM back in the day (before they stealth nerfed the drops).

In these loot runs I pulled:

Every single one of the named/bound to account augs
A truck load of rare filigrees
Easily a dozen 1000xp gems
Two state tomes (+5 upgrade and a +6 tome I believe)
And a minimum of 3-4 named items each run.

Since I still have sent weapons to feed, it’s been well worth my time.

A while ago I noticed that the named augs stopped dropping.  Wasn’t worried about it since most were worthless and not auctionable, but it did seem odd to me.

Since the last update the drops have just been f-ing horrible.  Filigrees still drop but nothing like before.  I’m not seeing the XP gems nearly as often and named items I’m lucky if I pull one every three runs.  I’m varying which toons I use, so it’s not ransack.

It’s occurred to me that there might be some built in loot drop rate over time (high drop rates to start and slowly diminish the more you open chests).  That absolutely fits in Shit the Bed game’s business model; high rewards to start so you convince other people to buy the pack then slowly drop the rates so you’re more inclined to purchase the next expansion – but I’m not sure if they have the actual skill to program that in.

More likely they just did a stealth nerf on older pack drop rates packaged in with one of the more recent updates.

Anyone else notice anything like this?

IP Logged

boxes
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Stealth nerf?
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 5:53pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
boxes wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 5:53pm:
tumbleweeds

IKR?  What's weird is it racked up nearly 300 views in just a few hours.  That's an unusual amount of lurking/guests  Shocked

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
liljiggy wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 6:22pm:
IKR?  What's weird is it racked up nearly 300 views in just a few hours.  That's an unusual amount of lurking/guests  Shocked

247 of those were probably Grand.

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 6:27pm:

Banana fag?

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
liljiggy wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 6:48pm:
Banana fag?

God only knows. From the newsfeed:

Quote:
All Hail The SockMonster: Cannedhate, bill bowen, Billy the Id, davenot, Factor, Fire Foot, Flipton, Forest, Gawker, Grand, gravegod, Hag Master, Hags Ravenous Ego, Hammertop, jerry, mattyboy, Nagus, People Kill Guns, poker, RemRemi, Ryelog, samdam, Shellfish, Slitherrook, The Magnificent Fire Foot, Tranquil, Vernation, Whammy, yardarm, Yojimbo (plus a couple dozen more)

I know of a few more. But, the point is that there are a lot of accounts that are run by one person. I mean, he might literally not know he's one person, but he is--at least physically.

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 7:20pm:
I know of a few more. But, the point is that there are a lot of accounts that are run by one person. I mean, he might literally not know he's one person, but he is--at least physically.

That sounds sad and yet a little boring  Undecided

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
liljiggy wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 7:35pm:
That sounds sad and yet a little boring  Undecided

Grand is beyond my comprehension. The sheer amount of material and nonsense he has posted blows my mind--and I know about posting nonsense!

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 6:27pm:

Arturo's a busy guy.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

boxes
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
liljiggy wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 6:48pm:
Banana fag?

That's not quite right either, you might want to hold on it appears to get even crazier/sadder. From what I've put together that Banna guy who changed his account name to 'the real grand' is actually a fan/stan of the retarded sockmonster who has dozens of accounts including one called grand, or I don't know maybe he is one of the sockmonster's rape victims, who can fucking say. This place is so fucking weird, only site I know where little retarded faggots spend their time trying to cosplay as bigger retarded faggots.

As to OP I don't know if the droprates are down, I always tell myself I will note down rates to track later but get to busy zergin. I bet its the same with most people, and past droprates always seem better, like the old days.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2022 at 9:08pm by boxes »  

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2022 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 8:47pm:
Arturo's a busy guy.

It would be funny if Arturo actually was Grand after all that(and not terrible surprising; but if true why didn't Arturo sell duped tokens?)

As to the initial point of this thread - I've been tracking loot drop rates for some time and made some interesting observations. Basically, DDO's RNG suffers from severe "clumping" issues - meaning that instead of the numbers being distributed evenly, you get "clumps" of high and low numbers. Peeks and valleys instead of even distribution.

If we were to distill this down to DnD terms: image if you had a D20 that rolled nothing but 1-9 for 17 roles, then rolled 3x 20s in a row; and it did this consistently every single time you played with it. That's how DDO's RNG works.

So while you were seeing "insane" drop rates, you were in a "peek"; now you're back in a valley. Nothing you can do but keep pushing forward until you hit another "peek".

The exact cause of this bullshittery is probably DDO's spagattie code. Unfortunately, no matter how easy it is to observe these RNG snarls, you can't convince anyone on the dev team to give it notice. All the cock-sucking yes-men insist "That's just how statistics work!" even though no, no it is not.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 3:46am
Print Post  
boxes wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 9:03pm:
This place is so fucking weird, only site I know where little retarded faggots spend their time trying to cosplay as bigger retarded faggots.

If the cosplay is gay, the source material is probably gayier. 

boxes wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 9:03pm:
As to OP I don't know if the droprates are down, I always tell myself I will note down rates to track later but get to busy zergin. I bet its the same with most people, and past droprates always seem better, like the old days.

That would be appreciated.

noamineo wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 9:23pm:
I've been tracking loot drop rates for some time and made some interesting observations.

This is a very interesting theory.  I'm very interested in getting feedback about this theory.  How do I put this delicately?  I would be very interested in getting feedback about this from people who are...less...you-ish...

I've had a similar theory about the daily dice.  I strongly suspect that if you lose/get a bad roll for the day, you're basically just flagged to lose.

I've been playing with rerolls.  It started one night when I might have been slightly under the influence (or very) and got pissed when I rolled like a one and rolled again and hit the first tier again.  I blew threw something like 150 shards worth of rerolls and never hit past the second tier.  Statistically there should have been a wider spread and I've been doing rerolls since and so far it seems like you're locked into a certain range that day.

I don't have enough shards to do a proper study, but my working theory right now is if you do roll between 90-100 and you're on that winning streak, you absolutely should reroll again and take advantage of it (in the month since starting this I'm yet to hit that high, so I haven't been able to properly test that theory).

My only reservation about what you brought up is, if you're correct, I was on that peak for well over a month (maybe two) and my drop rates have crapped out for about two weeks now.  If you're correct those are some pretty extreme peaks and valleys.  If you're not correct, there's still something going on here we haven't cracked.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 4:29am
Print Post  
The exact cause of this bullshittery is probably DDO's spagattie code. Unfortunately, no matter how easy it is to observe these RNG snarls, you can't convince anyone on the dev team to give it notice. All the cock-sucking yes-men insist "That's just how statistics work!" even though no, no it is not.

At the gaming table, in the final encounter my high level fighter rolled and confirmed 4 crits in 1 round against the big bad of the campaign. It was the only time ever I did that in the whole campaign.  (attack, attack-5, attack-10, hasted attack).  At the table, witnessed by other players, the only time it ever happened.  That's what random is.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 8:56am
Print Post  
It would be funny if Arturo actually was Grand after all that(and not terrible surprising; but if true why didn't Arturo sell duped tokens?)

As to the initial point of this thread - I've been tracking loot drop rates for some time and made some interesting observations. Basically, DDO's RNG suffers from severe "clumping" issues - meaning that instead of the numbers being distributed evenly, you get "clumps" of high and low numbers. Peeks and valleys instead of even distribution.

If we were to distill this down to DnD terms: image if you had a D20 that rolled nothing but 1-9 for 17 roles, then rolled 3x 20s in a row; and it did this consistently every single time you played with it. That's how DDO's RNG works.

So while you were seeing "insane" drop rates, you were in a "peek"; now you're back in a valley. Nothing you can do but keep pushing forward until you hit another "peek".

Can you post how you've been tracking the drop rates? You have an excel file or what? Mentally remembering this is useless.

IP Logged

SpaceGoat
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 8:59am
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 4:29am:
At the gaming table, in the final encounter my high level fighter rolled and confirmed 4 crits in 1 round against the big bad of the campaign. It was the only time ever I did that in the whole campaign.  (attack, attack-5, attack-10, hasted attack).  At the table, witnessed by other players, the only time it ever happened.  That's what random is.

Exactly. It's like when 5 hearts are dealt in poker. Everyone says the deck isn't shuffled lol. Sometimes a shuffled deck will produce 5 of one suit, 5 cards in sequence, pairs, etc. If it never produced that, then it wouldn't be properly shuffled.

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 9:55am
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 4:29am:

Think that's the part you're missing.

1-2-3-4-5
1-1-1-1-1
20-20-20-20-20
3-18-7-10-5

You statistically have the same chance of any of these coming up as any set of random string of numbers with a roll of 5 dice.  5 20 should happen eventually.  And statistically there is a chance in a short time frame (like a night) that you never roll anything over an 15.  Unlikely, but it can happen.

If, however, over the course of a full campaign (a wider range) you never roll over a 15 and your friend never rolls under a 10 - you should start examining the dice.

It's like the claw machines at arcades.  It's presented as a game of skill but they can actually program the machine to only give the needed pressure to pick up a toy X% of the time.  When it falls after you grab it, luck has nothing to do with it.  You were preordained to fail on that run.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2022 at 9:58am by liljiggy »  

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #16 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 10:41am
Print Post  
I'm not missing anything. 

You have a "feeling" that drop rates have been nerfed.  Feelings are worth nothing.  You need data, long term data over many many incidents.  10-20-30 those show vast fluctuations.  You may get 5 20's in a row.  you might not.  You need 100's to really start get get valid results.  Feelings are coloured by your short term memory of significant events.  My multiple crits in 1 round was a significant event, I remember it.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

liljiggy
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:09am
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 10:41am:
You have a "feeling" that drop rates have been nerfed.

You're dangerously close to finding yourself in the noamineo class of running your mouth without knowing what you're saying.  Not once did I use the word "feeling."  You can't quote something that wasn't said initially.

While not directly, this information was given (I'll try and dumb it down for you):

A month ago:

1st run: 8 chests 4 named items
2nd run: 10 chests 5 named items
3rd run: 7 chests 3 named items
4th run: 3 chests one stat tome (I've noticed when less rares spawn you seem to have a higher chance of pulling a star fragment or something of more value)
5th run: 8 chests 3 named items

You can add random, named augs every other run to the list.

It stayed consistent like this for roughly two straight months.*

Since one of the last two patches:

1st run: 8 chests no named items or augs
2nd run: 10 chests no named items or augs
3rd run: 7 chests one named item
4th run: 9 chests no named items or augs
etc...

This isn't about random statistics - this is about loot tables which have dramatically dropped. 

*edited for added emphasis since you seem a little slow.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:10am by liljiggy »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #18 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Don't all RNGs have bias problems?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #19 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:49am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:31am:
Don't all RNGs have bias problems?

In games that are well-designed, the engine includes features to smooth out the peeks and valleys. DDO's code appears to exaggerate and clump the bias.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #20 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 11:50am
Print Post  
SpaceGoat wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 8:56am:
Can you post how you've been tracking the drop rates? You have an excel file or what? Mentally remembering this is useless.

Exhaustive spread sheets and an honest to god statistician who looks at my data every now and then and goes "what the fuck? This is not random."

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #21 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 17th, 2022 at 8:47pm:
Arturo's a busy guy.

wtf? An Arkat post from Arkat?  I don't even know what's happening now.

Separately, I don't recall specific evidence that Grand=Arturo.

1. I forget all kinds of things
2. I don't keep track of who is on on here at all

Maybe I missed it.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2022 at 4:33pm by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

ManyCookies
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Ive noticed that named item drops do seem to clump together. Running a 13 quest saga at cap generally nets me a good deal of named items, or almost none, rarely do i get a result in between.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2022 at 5:22pm by ManyCookies »  

IP Logged

The Real Grand
Korthos Resident

Mmmm! So good!

Reply #23 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I'm just going to take a moment to enjoy how far from the truth all this speculation is  Grin Grin Grin

But please, continue talking about me.  I love it   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #24 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
ManyCookies wrote on Oct 18th, 2022 at 5:21pm:
Ive noticed that named item drops do seem to clump together. Running a 13 quest saga at cap generally nets me a good deal of named items, or almost none, rarely do i get a result in between.

If you track which item you'll also notice you get a whole lot more of one item and practically none of another, despite them being weighted equally.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint