Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Behind the spaghetti code (Read 6151 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Behind the spaghetti code
Reply #25 - Apr 17th, 2023 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Standing Stone Games wrote on Apr 17th, 2023 at 4:58pm:
I still have a DOS/Windows 3.11 PC with a Pentium 66 MHz CPU and 16 MB of RAM. Can't remember the size of the HD but it's enough to run all my old DOS games. Really, I used it to play all those old SSI goldbox D&D games like Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, etc.

I should really dig it out of storage and set it up again.

Brings back great memories.

I can help you hook it up to a modern display or replace the aging storage with something solid state. All those old games are up on archive.org if you're missing any.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Apr 17th, 2023 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I used it to play all those old SSI goldbox D&D games like Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, etc.

They have been rereleased on Steam with add ons such as automapping. I took a week off other games and played through eye of the beholder 2 a few weeks ago, it was surprisingly good just rolling through it with their guide and automap. 20 years ago I might have had the patience to search countless walls for hidden switches but not now so it made it a completely different and fun game. It was like £7 for the three EOB games.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2023 at 5:47pm by Binkey »  

IP Logged

Shunned
Stormreaver Piker

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #27 - Apr 17th, 2023 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Binkey wrote on Apr 17th, 2023 at 5:45pm:
automapping

Can you play with this turned off?

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
automapping

Can you play with this turned off?

You certainly can. I got more enjoyment from having the assist but you hardcore oldschool guys can appreciate the game as it was intended.

It's a mixed bag, EOB1 I had played before and felt a bit dull, EOB3 I managed an hour of and just didn't like. EOB2 was great right the way through.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #29 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Binkey wrote on Apr 17th, 2023 at 5:45pm:
They have been rereleased on Steam with add ons such as automapping. I took a week off other games and played through eye of the beholder 2 a few weeks ago, it was surprisingly good just rolling through it with their guide and automap. 20 years ago I might have had the patience to search countless walls for hidden switches but not now so it made it a completely different and fun game. It was like £7 for the three EOB games.

You can also buy them on gog.com if you prefer non-DRM-locked media.

Personally I enjoy playing vintage games on period hardware. But for me the adventure of getting the old system up and running, optimized, etc, is half the fun.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Apr 18th, 2023 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
AFAIK gog doesn't have the companion app (though I think you can source it separately) nor does it have the easy graphics optimising which makes it look a fair bit better on a modern system.

Quote:
But for me the adventure of getting the old system up and running, optimized, etc, is half the fun.

We all have our own idea of fun I suppose.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #31 - Apr 19th, 2023 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Binkey wrote on Apr 18th, 2023 at 7:17pm:
AFAIK gog doesn't have the companion app (though I think you can source it separately) nor does it have the easy graphics optimising which makes it look a fair bit better on a modern system.

I bought all the gog versions but haven't gotten around to playing them yet, so admittedly I can't say for sure. But, I do know if you're someone who'd rather chew your own arm off than install Steam, these things are not worth the hassle.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint