Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Any One Play the Baldurs Gate 3 Game? (Read 2760 times)
Kelltore
Waterworks Kobold

I Hate Drama and Hate
People who Start It

Any One Play the Baldurs Gate 3 Game?
May 2nd, 2023 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I’m thinking of picking it up for a good single player experience and wanted to know if anyone has played it and their thoughts on it? I have been a big fan of the old Isometric D&D games and also grew up with the original Dark Alliance series on ps2, I personally loved the remasters for it too but I wanted to know if anyone enjoys this one? I was really disappointed in the Recent D&D experience with the newer dark alliance because I felt like they did RA Salvatore’s characters really dirty and corrupted them so It left a bad taste in my mouth on that one. But I was looking for a good story based Single Player and it looks good to me and I have someone that can get Baldurs Gate 3 for me for super cheap and wanted to know if anyone has personally played this one.

I’m not here for Clout or Drama, Yet am Consistently Called out for it. My personal issue is not with the Vault but with People who think they are the most intelligent on a Forum when in Reality they are just the Loudest and Most Annoying who think it’s Ok to Bully People when they are dumber than a Box of Jugs- Errrm Rocks.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Re: Any One Play the Baldurs Gate 3 Game?
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2023 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Not me.  I've been waiting for the full release.  I've kinda lost my taste for "early access" games.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2023 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on May 2nd, 2023 at 9:45pm:
                        Not me.  I've been waiting for the full release.  I've kinda lost my taste for "early access" games.

Doing the same. I've got confidence in Larian after Original sin 1/2, but really I also want to play through the entire game and not get cucked at the end of act 1.

I've got a group ready too, really hoping it's worth the wait.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2023 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I didn't like Divinity Original Sin 2 (after 40+ hours?), but I loved the first one (80+ hours). I'll probably play Baldur's Gate 3 in 10 years when it is on sale for 10 bucks on steam.

I played Pathfinder: Kingmaker and went for about 40 hours.

Systems-wise and combat-wise I enjoyed all these games. My big problem with these D and D inspired games is well... ...how dogshit the writing is. I'm sorry but the amount of good writers has decreased by 1000% since the mid 2000s.

Storytelling is a primary artform and is seperate from combat/system design. I would prefer for gaming companies to faithfully adapt beloved stories than try and write their own.

You don't hire writers and give them a 10 month deadline on their magnum opus of a story. That is just a way to destroy the story.

Stories have to come first.

Open world games still need good writers. The story of Morrowind is a retelling of the "reincarnation of Nero" an old Roman myth about saving the Roman empire.

The 80s and 90s were a story-rich period that has since waned.

Nintendo solves this by relying very heavily on reusing the same stories ad nausem, and keeping the overall story incredibly light. It has always been more about the 3D exploration. The princess is just an excuse. The problem with these D and D games is that they are systems heavy but story crap, when the systems require a very good story. We can only do the same thing over and over again before it gets depressingly boring.

The systems are all "so so" as well. Like the puzzles in Ocarina of Time are way more fucking fun than DOS 2.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2023 at 12:15pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2023 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on May 5th, 2023 at 11:51am:
The 80s and 90s were a story-rich period that has since waned.

The 80s and 90s were rich because the difference between a top-end PC and a middle of the road were marginal at best. Graphics were largely an afterthought.

We had a similar "golden age" in the early 2000s when GPUs became widespread but peeked for a few years in terms of performance.

Today, with the constant race to improve graphics, story is but an afterthought to how a game looks. And that's why we get mostly shit games.

The good news for you is in a few more years we're going to hit 8k as the standard resolution, at which point the laws of physics make it impossible for the quality to improve any further. So, hey, ten more years man.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2023 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on May 5th, 2023 at 3:28pm:
The 80s and 90s were rich because the difference between a top-end PC and a middle of the road were marginal at best. Graphics were largely an afterthought.

We had a similar "golden age" in the early 2000s when GPUs became widespread but peeked for a few years in terms of performance.

Today, with the constant race to improve graphics, story is but an afterthought to how a game looks. And that's why we get mostly shit games.

The good news for you is in a few more years we're going to hit 8k as the standard resolution, at which point the laws of physics make it impossible for the quality to improve any further. So, hey, ten more years man.

Good prediction.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2023 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
This game has been in early access for almost 3 years.  Geez.  That's a long time.

IP Logged

Strake
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Evading a ban

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2023 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on May 9th, 2023 at 5:43pm:
This game has been in early access for almost 3 years.  Geez.  That's a long time. 

pffft. That's nothing. I used to play a game that's been in early access for 17 years. Grin

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2023 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Strake wrote on May 10th, 2023 at 1:53am:
pffft. That's nothing. I used to play a game that's been in early access for 17 years. Grin

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2023 at 6:16pm
Print Post  

Soontm.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2023 at 2:34pm
Print Post  

I think you hit Master Beta after 10 years.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Yes I played and here is my 2$ opinion:

1. It is based on divinity sin engine, so you will be playing D:OS3 instead of BG real time with pause (RTWP).

2. Turn based combat similar to D:OS. Not my style of play. Fell asleep rather soon.

3.  Cutscenes break the immersion of playing a d&d game.

Uninstalled and re-funded.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2023 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Jun 1st, 2023 at 3:54am:
Yes I played and here is my 2$ opinion:

1. It is based on divinity sin engine, so you will be playing D:OS3 instead of BG real time with pause (RTWP).

2. Turn based combat similar to D:OS. Not my style of play. Fell asleep rather soon.

3.  Cutscenes break the immersion of playing a d&d game.

Uninstalled and re-funded.

Pretty much spot on. I didn't refund as it was gifted to me, but it's definitely gathering dust in the uninstalled portion of my games collection.

I honestly didn't hate the game. But I've never been big on turn based RPGs and when my buddy told me there's supposed to be a mode to turn it real time like Neverwinter Nights 2 had, I was willing to give it a shot. Never figured out how to do that.

But I mostly played it co-op with a friend for about three days over a weekend, probably 15-ish hours tops. It wasn't awful, but 100% feels like Divinity 2 reskinned with a bit of D&D flair. Except it's 5E flair so your mileage will vary if you're like me and prefer a lot of the designs/artwork from the 2-3.5e eras.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #13 - Aug 18th, 2023 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Am 30 hours in.

~

Story and World-building: 10/10 for me so far. (End of act1.)
Voice acting is perfect. Game is a bit gay but all the gay options are optional and there are plenty of edgelord decisions to be made. They did the Githyanki bitch really well. Want to play with Hitler? Here you go! This is the first game since I'd say Dragon Age: Origins where I've been really impressed with the storytelling.

Music: 7/10.
Standard pentatonic noodling with orchestral support and variety. It is functional and has nice moments but it isn't interesting or memorable besides the main theme and the character creation theme. The sound-team did an excellent job with the bards in game though---if you have different bards play instruments near each other it adds the melody or the drums from that particular theme. Sound design is an 8 and music is a 6. 

Combat: 7/10.
I'm a fan of hybrid action turn based systems (e.x., KOTOR 1/2). That said, this game hasn't improved on the novel environmental effects in Divinity 1. It has just converted it to a Dungeons and dragons rule set. I prefer BG3's combat to DOS2's annoying armour system (where they made magic armor and physical armor separate). The spells feel punchy and the 4E/5E changes to melee combat are much better.

Loot: 5/10.
Inventory management is fucking awful. So much garbage loot in the game. They fail completely on the random generation front. Loot does not feel impactful. Where loot is tied to the story they occasionally do an excellent job (e.x., Sentient items exist and are fun!) but sometimes they just drop the ball (e.x., +1 dagger of silencing for a quest involving some special anti-magic bark). Pen and paper (without a sharp DM) has always struggled with loot compared to games like Diablo because the loot doesn't have stat flexibility that makes randomness work. You need so much base complexity that doesn't completely overpower the balance of combat encounters. That said, I appreciate that some loot just gives you spells or abilities. That's a nice touch. (E.x., Magic missile necklace that gives you one extra bolt.) The loot here is worse than Divinity Original Sin 1.

~~~

Honestly the first act is worth 40 bucks alone given the quality of the game. I have only done three of the companions in any depth and I can see this game having huge replayability if you can get by how slow it is. This is a game where if you put in energy you will get it back.

TLDR

Baldur's Gate 3 is some rich story-telling, but like a thick slice of New York Cheesecake it can exhaust the pallet. The combat is so-so, the music is serviceable, and the loot is bad. If you like the medium of story-telling in games though... ...I'm not sure which games have done it better. Incredibly beautiful and engaging game.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2023 at 12:55pm by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #14 - Aug 18th, 2023 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
I played the early release last year. It was fine.

I downloaded steam and the game last night. It was nice to see it didn't forget that I already paid for it.

I played for 27 minutes and bailed. Not for me. It looks fine, the story is fine, the action is so very subpar, the creation phase of your toon seems so vastly more advanced than the campaign itself requires.

I'll go start another max PL/RP toon on DDO.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2023 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I'm nearing the end of act 2 and i'd say it's the best D&D pc game I've played, and I think I've played them all.

It's more like playing for real than previous PC games, took me an hour to work out why everyone in a town was running away from me when I'd been careful not to upset anyone. Turns out if you wander around with a summoned fire elemental people will react to that and not like it. There is a lot of attention to detail like that.

It really is a builders paradise, you can respec yourself and companions at any time, multiclass and pure both work well, I try out new teams every time I level. Favourite characters right now are my barbarian that throws enemies at each other and my owlbear shifting moon druid. Most classes feel powerful and are are fun in combat.

Loot I disagree with foppybint, yes a lot of the items so far have a really minor impact on play, with the occasional much better item that you have to work for. That feels more like D&D and less like an incremental +x% better weapon every level or 2. Getting a single powerful weapon a few hours in that in other games would be level gated till further through and trying to find uses for a variety of minor stuff is refreshingly different.

The looting process and inventory management is however pretty annoying. You can't ignore the 100 boxes with a rotten carrot in them, because occasionally one will have a placed magic item in it. In one area there were dozens of old skeletons across the level and one of them (the only one I hadn't looted) had a quest item on it - fortunately because of early access the wiki's are useful already.

That's my only complaint though. I can see myself playing this right to the finish before picking up anything else.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2023 at 9:20pm by Binkey »  

IP Logged

Binkey
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 7:29am
Print Post  
And not to go on about it too much, but they have really thought of the players and there is stuff DDO could easily learn and implement which would be easy quality of life changes. For example many buffs are ritual spells, don't cost a slot to cast, and last till long rest - probably a couple of hours of play. Translated to DDO you could make common buffs last the whole quest, or at least till shrine and not cost spellpoints. Easy change, no downside.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2023 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Binkey wrote on Aug 26th, 2023 at 7:29am:
And not to go on about it too much, but they have really thought of the players and there is stuff DDO could easily learn and implement which would be easy quality of life changes. For example many buffs are ritual spells, don't cost a slot to cast, and last till long rest - probably a couple of hours of play. Translated to DDO you could make common buffs last the whole quest, or at least till shrine and not cost spell points. Easy change, no downside.

I have mixed feelings on this. When casting a spell it should feel impactful enough that casting it again---when it runs out---will also feel good. When the harbor was new casting longstrider on someone felt great. Nowadays though it feels bad... ...why? Simply that so many people have gotten the effect elsewhere---that we are now at the point that not having an abbott quiver is annoying. I still remember collecting longstrider boots from Korthos on my first few playthroughs. I would still wait for people after shining if "protection against magical energy" gave a 30% stacking reduction of elemental damage, but then you'd have everyone and their mother self-casting it.

The only relevant buffs nowadays happen while you are leveling. At endgame everyone has their own FOM and Deathward now anyway. The devs have essentially powercrept their way through all the team-benefits rather than leaving them as unique to a particular playstyle. The biggest offender here is haste in my opinion. I mean there's no going back now but I still think the game would be better if it was a morale bonus that came with the morale debuff after the duration expires. Group buffs are a part of class identity and DDO has gone too far in the "every class gets everything."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint