Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Oh, the idiot Devs are thinking hard! (Read 9699 times)
Shunned
DQ Assaulter

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Oh, the idiot Devs are thinking hard!
Jun 20th, 2023 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/u60-lammania-preview-1-xp-system-adjust...
Quote:
Torc
Torc
Systems Developer

Jun 7, 2023

We are doing some updates to the XP system to increase incentives for killing monsters, and to make it a little less confusing. This all ties into a series of changes to make running past large numbers of encounters a less desirable behavior because of what it does to our servers due to pathing costs.

Changes:

1. Bravery Bonus is being renamed Delving Bonus. (this is mostly so people coming back to the game don't still think they need to worry about streaks, which came up a bit when we tried to talk about this to our surprise....).​

2. The "First Time" bonus that appears per difficulty is being removed and its value is being absorbed into Conquest and the Delving bonus. It was redundant, a bit confusing and we need the numbers elsewhere.​

Details Below:​

First Time bonus Changes - These bonus are being absorbed by other bonus types.

Difficulty      XP Bonus      In New System
Solo, Casual, Normal, Hard      20%      Move to Conquest
Elite      45%      Move to Conquest
Reaper*      95%      Move to Conquest & new Bravery aka Delving tier

DELVING = BRAVERY BONUS

Increase Delving Bonus by adding a Reaper Tier

New Delving Bonus 50% on Reaper so...

Hard 50% Bonus

Elite 100% Bonus

Reaper 150% Bonus

Uses the same logic as bravery bonus did before meaning if you play on hard then elite you'll only get a 50% bonus for reaper, or if you JUST played on hard and then reaper the bonus would be 100%. Playing reaper from the get go would be 150%.

Conquest Updates - Conquest bonus now scales with difficulty some and is a larger bonus.

Note: We will be doing a pass to address certain dungeons that have usual configurations that make getting these bonuses perhaps more difficult than they should be. We are still working on the details but Castle Ravenloft and the Vault of Night Dragon Raid are some examples.

Normal Difficulty:

+10% Aggression bonus
    +15% Onslaught bonus
    +45% **Conquest** bonus

Hard Difficulty:

+15% Aggression bonus
    +25% Onslaught bonus
    +50% **Conquest** bonus

Elite Difficulty:

+25% Aggression bonus
    +50% Onslaught bonus
    +70% **Conquest** bonus

Reaper Difficulty:

+25% Aggression bonus
    +50% Onslaught bonus
    +70% **Conquest** bonus

This change is Net neutral except for a very slight boost in hard.

TOTAL BONUS COMPARISON:

NORMAL      old      new      HARD      old      new      ELITE      old      new      Reaper      old      new

conquest      25      45            25      50            25      70            25      70
1st time      20      0            20      0            45      0            95      0
Bravery      0      0            50      50            100      100            100      150
Ransack      15      15            15      15            15      15            15      15
Tome of Learning      50      50            50      50            50      50            50      50
Tamper      10      10            10      10            10      10            10      10
Observance      8      8            8      8            8      8            8      8
Total      128      128            178      183            253      253            303      303

TOTAL BONUS COMPARISON REPEAT PLAYS: The increased conquest bonus does increase replay XP but a fresh quest is still X2-3 the bonuses, so this shouldn't really be a problem.

Normal old      Normal new      HARD      old      new      ELITE      old      new      Reaper      old      new
conquest      25      45            25      50            25      70            25      70
1st time      0      0            0      0            0      0            0      0
Bravery      0      0            0      0            0      0            0      0
Ransack      15      15            15      15            15      15            15      15
Tome of Learning      0      0            0      0            0      0            0      0
Tamper      10      10            10      10            10      10            10      10
Observance      8      8            8      8            8      8            8      8
Total      58      78            58      83            58      103            58      103

I know this isn't a super exciting change because we're basically just trying to encourage most players to do what their already doing, but monsters are a major component of the game play in how time is spent, and our reward structure should reflect that so completely avoiding them doesn't seem as attractive and becomes a less common practice.​

Note On Stealth - It is its own subset of game play and one that doesn't actually hit our perf problems. We would like to eventually get to some "stealth" game play bonuses to offset the Conquest adjustments but we want to do stuff that isn't exclusive from killing monsters or about just about walking through the quest without engaging anything. We're thinking about Assassinate bonuses (not the enhancement per say but just killing a mob from behind before it aggros on you), never triggering dungeon alert or maybe we'll even introduce picking pockets (but I warn you most monsters are full of pocket lint with the occasional rubber ducky, or a ring of power, that thing is sooo cursed). These things won't make it into this pass though as we'd probably want to do a focused pass on stealth and fix a lot of other rough edges while were at it.​

Last edited by a moderator: Today at 10:35 AM

https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/u60-lammania-preview-1-monster-ai-chang...

Quote:
Torc
Torc
Systems Developer

Jun 7, 2023

So with the goal of saving on path cycles to keep lag off the server we recently reworked monster AI in several ways.

1. Better De-aggro logic: Monsters will now be bit better about dropping aggro against players they have no hope of catching, and dropping aggro against players who passed them by but were never primary targets and might be long gone. Note this does not effect the duration they'll contribute to dungeon alert, only killing them or waiting for the alert to cooldown will do that once they've aggro'd and added to the alert level.

2. Skips going home: Monsters will no longer try to path home when they drop aggro. Sometimes these paths could get very long and expensive. We may eventually have them teleport home but given the players may want to go back and re-acquire them we're leaving them where they "lost the player" in this preview. Monsters on landscapes will still leash normally which is the teleport they do with the little yellow stop sign when they get pulled to far off their spawn point.

3. Archer/Casters will generally try to run from you less often when you get close to them. These AIs when they got jammed into corners would spend a lot of time failing to find a good spot, and we feel it's not worth the server cycles. An Archer/Caster will still occasionally move away from you, especially when they first aggro, but typically won't spend cycles trying to maintain distance anymore. Mobs with baked in jump back animations will still do those behaviors though.

Last edited: Today at 4:29 PM

https://forums.ddo.com/index.php?threads/u60-lammania-preview-1-dungeon-alert-ch...

Quote:
Torc
Torc
Systems Developer

Jun 7, 2023

We are updating Dungeon Alert to put some bite back in the system which has not scaled well against the ever increasing player power over the years. Most of these changes focus on red alert which is really the alert we want you the player to avoid.

We are aware some content has some trigger issues and we are working through the feedback we've already received on those dungeons which will be tracked in a different post.

Changes:

1. Monsters movement speed bonuses have been increased for all dungeon alert levels by about 20% because players have access to a lot more movement effects than they did back in the day.

2. On red alert all monsters will gain True Sight just like bosses do.

3. On red alert all monsters will gain 25% dodge penetration and a very large hit bonus while flanking. To be clear this hit bonus only applies if the monster is behind you.

4. On red alert monsters who have been Crowd Controlled will break free in 6 seconds, and will break free faster and faster for every time that particular monster is CC'd.

Last edited by a moderator: Today at 10:31 AM

IP Logged

Shunned
DQ Assaulter

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Re: Oh, the idiot Devs are thinking hard!
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2023 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
oh and rune arm use for non arti's in the new ED tree.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2023 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Lag is caused by dungeon alert, ya don't say?

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Standing Stone Games
Abbot Raider

I Love DDO & LotRO!

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2023 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Why are the dates on the posts June 7th?

Today is June 20th.

Did he really write them 2 weeks ago and set them to post today at a certain time? If so, they couldn't have told us two weeks ago that Lamannia would be up today??
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2023 at 10:01pm by Standing Stone Games »  

We invite you to explore our games, which hold the promise of depth, scope, and unlimited imagination!

Our phone # is (858) 239-0663. We enjoy hearing from our fans!
IP Logged

Snu Snu
Shroud Slacker

Drama is boring

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 3:04am
Print Post  
Yes, he did.
No, they couldn't.
1) They didn't know themselves.
2) They don't want you to prep.

And these DA and XP changes are a real clusterfuck of idiotic reasoning. Hilarious, once again.
Is there an equivalent of the Darwin Award for the game scene? SSG would have won the 1st 3 spots several years in a row by now.

Bored Byond Belief

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 3:51am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Jun 20th, 2023 at 8:30pm:
oh and rune arm use for non arti's in the new ED tree.

It's like they know they should drop one pinch of gold in the loaf to try and sell the steaming pile.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 4:19am
Print Post  
So I guess this is the xp Nerf I was hearing talk of.

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 5:55am
Print Post  
We asked conquest bonus to be increased IN ADDITION to existing XP to counter the time taken to complete the dungeon (and burning XP Pots). We did not ask for a Net Neutral XP change. Fucking dickheads. The thing about changing name to Delving XP for returning players is hilarious - returning players are in Diablo 4.

IP Logged

Shunned
DQ Assaulter

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 3:51am:
It's like they know they should drop one pinch of gold in the loaf to try and sell the steaming pile.

I wonder if we can get Half-Elf Arti Dilly to grant rune-arm use now.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Can we all just appreciate the savvy from selling the overpriced mounts right  before they served up this steaming pile of shit?
Sometimes they DO know what they are doing.  Cheesy Cheesy

As always with SSG, it's exactly what I expected, but somehow at the same time worse than I could have imagined.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 6:35am:
I wonder if we can get Half-Elf Arti Dilly to grant rune-arm use now.

That would be cool.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 10:08am
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 8:27am:
Can we all just appreciate the savvy from selling the overpriced mounts right  before they served up this steaming pile of shit?
Sometimes they DO know what they are doing.  Cheesy Cheesy

As always with SSG, it's exactly what I expected, but somehow at the same time worse than I could have imagined.

That's like telling a kid his dog died to distract him from his parents getting a divorce. Its bad following bad!

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
If they fucked with XP pots instead it'd be a lot less work for them and it wouldn't screw a subset of players who like to play that way anyway.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 12:24pm:
If they fucked with XP pots instead it'd be a lot less work for them and it wouldn't screw a subset of players who like to play that way anyway.

I think the problem is zerging predates XP potions. They definitely encourage it, though.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
So they are hitting directly the 1 to 20 in 6 hours ?

Sasha wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 10:30am:
I don't understand why SSG insists on nerfing zerging these past couple of months...

It's not something new, they have had a hard on against zerging since Day 1  or so.

That's why we got dugngeon alert, and when it failed at slowing people down they put shiny walls that only drops when all the mobs of the necounter are killed, and since that also failed they have been trying to find ways to get people spend 3 hours in VON3 ( on normal... but in the early days while it was taking 3 hours, it was done with a full party of LVL 5/6 characters, and the gear was not what we have nowadays )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
kum-gulp wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 12:24pm:

They won't touch XP Pots, they are a revenue part, since weverybody and the dog buy the best one from the store.
( with DDO points.. which were either acquired by buying them or being a VIP and hoarding them long enough, so in eithe case they earn some money )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #16 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 3:03pm:
They won't touch XP Pots, they are a revenue part, since weverybody and the dog buy the best one from the store.
( with DDO points.. which were either acquired by buying them or being a VIP and hoarding them long enough, so in eithe case they earn some money )

They might touch them if they can find a way to make them more profitable.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Jesus fucking Christ talking SSG devs out of their stupid fucking ideas is a full time goddam job.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 4:38pm:
Jesus fucking Christ talking SSG devs out of their stupid fucking ideas is a full time goddam job.

Since when has that ever been possible?

Typically by the time the idea make it as far as us, they've already made up their mind.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
They SEEM to be open to not nerfing xp........or else just trying to sell a few more mounts before it goes live....

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
What torc said:

Yep! We are reading, and looking at these dungeons that people are posting about.

So when we started looking at this we knew we'd have some "but I don't get conquest in this dungeon" problems. I eluded to this with Castle Ravenloft and the Vault of Night Dragon quests which have had their conquest thresholds adjusted in this build.  We hoped these would be a few dozen outliers we could just fix.

We didn't expect not getting conquest to be presented as "really common" in general. If no conquest bonus is more of the rule than the exception this plan will not do! Us devs tend to ramble out into the optional wings when we play I guess....

Clarify a few things...

1> Our lag problems are less about fighting monsters, then running from monsters and leaving them far behind. The bottle neck is in the path system doing long paths as the player gets far away. Ergo, not wanting to be bothered with the monsters at all feeds into that.

2> As has been pointed out this plan was all stick and no carrot. We are looking at some combination of making conquest thresholds more forgiving and/or upping the conquest/onslaught/aggression bonuses a bit further as some have suggested. We also may punt until we can do more elaborate incentive systems instead.

2> We really want killing monsters to be a worth awhile activity. I understand some folks have perfected some play patterns that avoid such a thing, and we don't really want to impact your fun, but we do want the conquest option to have a certain attraction as well because so much of our systems and content do focus on combat. In a perfect world these both would be perceived as equally valid options. In our current world we feel that killing monsters has dropped a little lower in the play patterns than is probably wise.

4>  Specifics are very helpful in regards to the conquest bonus issues! Dungeons you typically play, how you play them, and what level of conquest you get, how many kills, etc. What Optional are worth while? How you make the choices you do?

-T

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
But who the fuck knows what shape that will take. How the hell do they not know that some quests dont have a conquest bonus?

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #22 - Jun 21st, 2023 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 8:57pm:
But who the fuck knows what shape that will take. How the hell do they not know that some quests dont have a conquest bonus?

Because they don't play their own god damn fucking game. This is what happens when you don't play your own game.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jun 22nd, 2023 at 6:22am
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 8:55pm:
Us devs tend to ramble out into the optional wings when we play I guess....

Bullshit.  Devs don't play their own game.  Its obvious from the shit they do to the game.

IP Logged

Notanarc
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jun 22nd, 2023 at 6:23am
Print Post  
somenewnoob wrote on Jun 21st, 2023 at 8:55pm:
1> Our lag problems are less about fighting monsters, then running from monsters and leaving them far behind. The bottle neck is in the path system doing long paths as the player gets far away. Ergo, not wanting to be bothered with the monsters at all feeds into that.

The simplest solution would be to have the monsters stop doing anything when the player is out of the line of sight.  Guess thats too hard for the devs to do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint