Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Does SSG really not know what value ranges should be on gear? (Read 5277 times)
Shunned
DQ Assaulter

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Does SSG really not know what value ranges should be on gear?
Jul 25th, 2023 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
SteelStar
Senior Systems Designer

Today at 11:20 AM

Hey, all!

Update on the Spell Critical Damage bonus in the new sets: A piece of internal documentation that we use to track set bonus values was simply incorrect about how much Spell Critical Damage should have been on these sets.

Thank you for bringing it up! Apologies for claiming it was accurate in various places. We're fixing the internal documentation, and the sets that use it will now correctly have 5% in Heroic and 15% in Legendary.

Did they really say it was 30 percent?  How could they not realize it was wrong until now?

IP Logged

Everling
Waterworks Kobold

Living but dead.

Re: Does SSG really not know what value ranges should be on gear?
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2023 at 2:30pm
Print Post  

And even when called out on it, they doubled down and said "No this is right, other items like Elders must be wrong, but I didn't create that so it's not my problem..."

Even if they had bad documentation, you would think they would notice that doubling the value on an item two or three levels higher, probably wasn't right?

But no...

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2023 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
They didn't even know that many quests didn't have a conquest bonus........so on anything game related it's probably about 50-50 on if they know it.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2023 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
This is why all games need to keep someone on staff who actually plays.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2023 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Yeah this one was above-average impressive levels of not-know wtf.

Amazing that in the lamma forums players were literally arguing the devs had no idea what they were talking about....Devs assure us they did.... Players end up right.

Wonderful...

Strake wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 1:51pm:
Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Gunga wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 2:27am:
Bitcoin. lul
--Who is luling in March 2025?
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Everling wrote on Jul 25th, 2023 at 2:30pm:
And even when called out on it, they doubled down and said "No this is right, other items like Elders must be wrong, but I didn't create that so it's not my problem..."

Even if they had bad documentation, you would think they would notice that doubling the value on an item two or three levels higher, probably wasn't right?

But no...

From the man who spent 40 hours "balancing" inquisitive before release

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Someone must have told Steel to eat humble pie and make that post. There is no way he could admit to being wrong on his own accord. Even when he is wrong he wont admit it.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Justanotherlurker wrote on Jul 26th, 2023 at 9:42am:
Someone must have told Steel to eat humble pie and make that post. There is no way he could admit to being wrong on his own accord. Even when he is wrong he wont admit it.

Nah, more like the others told him they weren't going to take the time to balance sets upwards. He'd have to do it himself or admit he was wrong. Laziness won out the day.

IP Logged

Everling
Waterworks Kobold

Living but dead.

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Jul 26th, 2023 at 11:09am:
Nah, more like the others told him they weren't going to take the time to balance sets upwards. He'd have to do it himself or admit he was wrong. Laziness won out the day.

Haha, now that I can believe!

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Jul 26th, 2023 at 11:09am:

Yes

Like every group, there are schlubs and there are stars, and a lot in between. Pick your cause and I can say the same thing about the associated group.
Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

Shunned
DQ Assaulter

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
yeah i wonder if it was an intentional mistake to make the new stuff sell, then fix/nerf it later with an oopsie.

IP Logged

Bobbicus
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure you CAN explain all of this away with stupidity. There just has to be "malice" in there.

IP Logged

higgildypiggildy
Stormreaver Piker

I just mock the world

Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
From memory can you tell me what the standard spell critical %/boost is at level 14 and 22?

That's why they have it written in internal documentation, so they don't have to remember arbitrary values that may get revised in a loot/system revamp.  Trusting your internal documentation is a reasonable thing to do, until you have some evidence or serious cause to doubt it.

I ain't got no mothafukkinsignature

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2023 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
higgildypiggildy wrote on Jul 26th, 2023 at 2:32pm:
From memory can you tell me what the standard spell critical %/boost is at level 14 and 22?

That's why they have it written in internal documentation, so they don't have to remember arbitrary values that may get revised in a loot/system revamp.  Trusting your internal documentation is a reasonable thing to do, until you have some evidence or serious cause to doubt it.

I'd agree with that; though if that's the case, their internal document must not have been updated when they did the powercreep crunch a while back.

IP Logged

somenewnoob
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2023 at 8:15am
Print Post  

Serious cause to doubt it.........it was written by an SSG employee.

Grab life by the pussy.

IP Logged

Justanotherlurker
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2023 at 9:34am
Print Post  

Yes I can but this was spell critical damage (not chance) and is only available from a few places which makes it really obvious to anyone that plays a caster that this was a mistake.

But it shows once again that devs only play at a very casual level

They actually made 2 fuckups with this effect

1) bonus type
2) magnitude

1 mistake can be chalked up to an oversight or bad documentation. 2 mistakes is either incompetence or laziness as after the first mistake the first thing they should have done was check in game what the effect should be.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2023 at 9:43am by Justanotherlurker »  

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2023 at 10:51am
Print Post  
You guys if Steelstar was any smarter he wouldn't be working for SSG but would have gotten a job at Intrepid making Ashes of Creation. We have to face that we have a small, dipshit game, that is being held together by predatory microtransactions and pay to win. We are like a geriatric patient: all we can hope for is managed decline. Maybe we get lucky and they copy (with no creativity) a classic module from someone who was actually creative. It is like Grandpa telling you about how he served in Vietnam. SSG is like the grandchild that is syphoning Grammie's retirement money but Grammie doesn't want to be abandoned so she lets it happen. That's the relationship between SSG and the creative source that is DnD.

Anyway, creatives don't make money because they can't market themselves. You know how much money Vincent van Gogh made in his life?

Fucking nothing.

Now his art is all over everything.

If you want to win the game of "cultural reproduction" you have to go all in on getting famous after you're dead. The chances of you winning while you are alive are slim to none. All your eggs have to go in one basket, and that basket has to "cash out" at some distant hazār. Nothing great is done without great expenditure of human life. The flies of the marketplace just cash in on the hero's sweat.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2023 at 11:04am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2023 at 11:52am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jul 27th, 2023 at 10:51am:
You guys if Steelstar was any smarter he wouldn't be working for SSG but would have gotten a job at Intrepid making Ashes of Creation. We have to face that we have a small, dipshit game, that is being held together by predatory microtransactions and pay to win. We are like a geriatric patient: all we can hope for is managed decline. Maybe we get lucky and they copy (with no creativity) a classic module from someone who was actually creative. It is like Grandpa telling you about how he served in Vietnam. SSG is like the grandchild that is syphoning Grammie's retirement money but Grammie doesn't want to be abandoned so she lets it happen. That's the relationship between SSG and the creative source that is DnD.

This is wisdom.

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2023 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jul 27th, 2023 at 10:51am:
You know how much money Vincent van Gogh made in his life?

Fucking nothing.

He did make some money.

Not much, though.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Head-Meat
57%Misunderstood53%Moron

Subtle. I know.

Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2023 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jul 27th, 2023 at 7:14pm:
some money.

Not much, though.

Same as my mom.

Sad
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2023 at 1:44pm by Head-Meat »  

Bitcoin. lul
*Proud FORCCer*

IP Logged

liljiggy
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2023 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Thought it was obvious that they have zero fucking clue what bonuses belong on which levels a good decade ago.  They just randomly pull numbers (and probably other things) out of their asses as they go.

IP Logged

Everling
Waterworks Kobold

Living but dead.

Reply #21 - Jul 29th, 2023 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Head-Meat wrote on Jul 28th, 2023 at 1:43pm:
Same as my mom.

Sad

"I made 300 dollars and 50 cents, selling my ass today"

"Who the hell paid you 50 cents?"

"They all did"

IP Logged

Hardcore_Girl
Dragon Raider

Hardcore or Go home!

Reply #22 - Jul 29th, 2023 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Jul 25th, 2023 at 1:00pm:
Did they really say it was 30 percent?  How could they not realize it was wrong until now?

They knew it was wrong, but wanted to keep at 30% so they can sell the pack (most of the whales play casters and not happy with nerfs to R8-10 damage). But the crowd overwhelmingly pointed this one out and even said it will be nerfed after release, so SSG knew they had to roll it back.

Also worth pointing out when Lynnshit was loot dev, she was screaming that percentage bonuses are better and now Steelshit is the loot dev, he has gone opposite for the tank sets and has put in flat HP bonus (+75). Game design changes like used socks every 3 months and for the worse.

IP Logged

Shunned
DQ Assaulter

Hi! You have multiple
personality disorder.

Reply #23 - Jul 29th, 2023 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Jul 29th, 2023 at 1:56pm:
Lynnshit was loot dev, she was screaming that percentage bonuses are better and now Steelshit is the loot dev, he has gone opposite for the tank sets and has put in flat HP bonus (+75)

wtf  so in about a year and a day that 75hp will be useless.  wait, its useless already.

IP Logged

Shinyshoes
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jul 29th, 2023 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Hardcore_Girl wrote on Jul 29th, 2023 at 1:56pm:
Also worth pointing out when Lynnshit was loot dev, she was screaming that percentage bonuses are better and now Steelshit is the loot dev, he has gone opposite for the tank sets and has put in flat HP bonus (+75). Game design changes like used socks every 3 months and for the worse.

Lyn, despite their faults, at least prior to joining the band, played the game with enough enthusiasm to make YouTube videos that probably can be blamed for inspiring Strimtom. From his exceedingly poor and illformed opinions, one can only assume that Shitstain has probably never made it out of Korthos in anything but dev mode.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint