Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Daily Gold rolls for VIP coming back (Read 7254 times)
noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Re: Daily Gold rolls for VIP coming back
Reply #25 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Shunned wrote on Sep 5th, 2023 at 9:48pm:
The didn't even fucking know the hardcore server was still running.  They just found out today.

LMAO!!!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Bishop
Stormreaver Piker

Nothing lasts forever
but the earth and sky.

Reply #26 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Getting the daily dice rolls back is great!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #27 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 5th, 2023 at 2:03pm:
While I agree. Most of the servers you see are like longstanding communities trying to make an MMO-lite experience.

I don't get how they do it, given the technical limitations.

They do it with kludged together bits of code and lots of inventivity..
The Aurora toolset was a very powerful coding environment and with the right commands you could dump lots of stuff in text files...
Now on Linux you can dump text into any file including stuff like named pipes, or another process... And if the text file you dump is carefully built, through Aurora code use, SQL transactions towards a MySQL instance you now have a way to make some MMO-Lite experience into NWN.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Edrein
Abbot Raider

Master of Melee Undead
(Gimps)

Reply #28 - Sep 7th, 2023 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 6th, 2023 at 5:43pm:
They do it with kludged together bits of code and lots of inventivity..
The Aurora toolset was a very powerful coding environment and with the right commands you could dump lots of stuff in text files...
Now on Linux you can dump text into any file including stuff like named pipes, or another process... And if the text file you dump is carefully built, through Aurora code use, SQL transactions towards a MySQL instance you now have a way to make some MMO-Lite experience into NWN.

Is this your polite way of telling me there's an actual use for non-Windows PCs?  Grin

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #29 - Sep 7th, 2023 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Edrein wrote on Sep 7th, 2023 at 12:56am:
Is this your polite way of telling me there's an actual use for non-Windows PCs?  Grin

Well you can do it with Windows, but it's even more kludgy and compared to Linux it requires lots of knownledge in Windows Admin, and at that time it needed a W2K Server or Advanced Server to safely run wthout any crash... and W2K Server was not widespread and had a hefty cost.

And honestly, when NWN1 was released 20+ years ago we Windows 2000 was barely there, most people were still with W95 or W98 and you couldn't really expect those to stay up, under load, for weeks without a crash to DOS.

Now with a modern Windows Server, I'm sure you can use ether WSL or Powershell scripts and do what was done in Linux at that time.

Edit : now consider that before Obsidian crapped on NWN with NWN2 and all the failed promises, I was preparing an infrastructure at home based on a PC ( Linux ) to run the World and a Sparc Server 20 for the database. ( Solaris 8, Sybase ). Obviously, without builtin database hookups and without a Linux Standalone server it never went beyond the stage of hoarding the hardware.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2023 at 2:40pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2023 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Sep 7th, 2023 at 2:36pm:
and W2K Server was not widespread and had a hefty cost.

The sorts of people building NWN servers did not typically pay for windows.

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint