Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pally advice... (Read 4913 times)
woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Pally advice...
Feb 3rd, 2010 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
With the newer reincanations I now have a chance to ungimp my lvl 15 28pt dwarven pally. I want to try to make him a dps and was wondering what would be a better route to take: TWF or THF.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Re: Pally advice...
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 3:00pm:
With the newer reincanations I now have a chance to ungimp my lvl 15 28pt dwarven pally. I want to try to make him a dps and was wondering what would be a better route to take: TWF or THF.

TWF will always be the best DPS option since DPS against trash mobs is not nearly as vital as DPS against boss mobs.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I should also add that where a paladin is concerned, higher crit chance weapons are better than high crit damage weapons, no matter what the base DPS.  For instance, I'd rather have kukris on my paladin than dwarven axes (though I'd rather have rapiers than kukris, of course - this is due to the ability to crit on a smite).

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
also start with at 14 or 16 cha to be able to qualify for DM III/IV. wis is over-rated for pallys, 8 is good. if you have 32 pt, i would build it 16/15/14/8/8/14 if dwarf, 16/14/14/8/8/16 if human (will need +3 dex tome)

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Thanx for the info. I jsut started reading up on the update and it appears that Gtr.reincarnation is not avail yet so this may get put on hold for a while. I dont think you can lesser for the 32pt build. And I will need to pick up a dex tome of some sort. Right now all I got is a +1  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 7:22pm:
also start with at 14 or 16 cha to be able to qualify for DM III/IV. wis is over-rated for pallys, 8 is good. if you have 32 pt, i would build it 16/15/14/8/8/14 if dwarf, 16/14/14/8/8/16 if human (will need +3 dex tome)

Why would you put an extra point in dex on a dwarf?  I'd rather have two extra points of con in that situation.

I also hate to bring this argument to these forums (especially against people who know what they're talking about), as I'm tired of it, but I'd never give a paladin a charisma higher than 14 (or 12 for dwarf/warforged).  The benefits (yes, including divine might) are just not worth it.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 8:03pm:
Why would you put an extra point in dex on a dwarf?  I'd rather have two extra points of con in that situation.

I also hate to bring this argument to these forums (especially against people who know what they're talking about), as I'm tired of it, but I'd never give a paladin a charisma higher than 14 (or 12 for dwarf/warforged).  The benefits (yes, including divine might) are just not worth it.

con or dex is fine but with dex it means you can do get twf more easily, esp for a new player who may not have a +3 dex tome secreted away

as to cha, i'm more of talking about max numbers acceptable to me. 12 for dwarf/wf or 14 for others is fine as well. as i mentioned, DMIII minimum. DMIV can be expensive. to me, the perfect pally would have 36 pts lol. they need too many stats

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
*grabs some popcorn*

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 8:27pm:
con or dex is fine but with dex it means you can do get twf more easily, esp for a new player who may not have a +3 dex tome secreted away

I wouldn't have mentioned it if you hadn't recommended 14 points for the human.  I'd usually take 15 dexterity as well.

With 36 points I could see myself taking a 16 charisma.  There's just no way that I'll spend 2 for 1 on charisma before I max my strength.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 8:54pm:
*grabs some popcorn*

You may want to save the popcorn.  Aranticus and I aren't going to just break down into a build argument.  Even if I did care enough about builds now (it's amazing how not playing will make you not care about PUG builds), we have similar design philosophies anyway.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:17pm:
I wouldn't have mentioned it if you hadn't recommended 14 points for the human.  I'd usually take 15 dexterity as well.

With 36 points I could see myself taking a 16 charisma.  There's just no way that I'll spend 2 for 1 on charisma before I max my strength.

hence i put the need for the dex tome there. for a human 16/15/15/8/8/14 if you dun have a +3 tome in bank

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:17pm:

I would personally usually go with 15 Cha, and I rarely go higher than 16 str on most characters other than Barbarians. the 3 build points are just so much more useful elsewhere for many characters.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:18pm:
You may want to save the popcorn.  Aranticus and I aren't going to just break down into a build argument.  Even if I did care enough about builds now (it's amazing how not playing will make you not care about PUG builds), we have similar design philosophies anyway.

i agree with the not arguing part. so far most of my arguments in the ddo forums is not with the seasoned builders but with people that list build efficiency to the most minute detail ie you will need 16 cha so you can get the runes blah blah blah

just yesterday i was arguing with a noob from GoK over gen chat on the worth of a bloodplate. he keep coming up with specific senarios to try to boost the worth of bloodplate

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:26pm:
i agree with the not arguing part.

So you disagree with the similar design philosophy part?  Omg n00b!  *punches Aranticus*

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
But.. but... drama!

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:28pm:
So you disagree with the similar design philosophy part?  Omg n00b!  *punches Aranticus*

bah, i think we agree on the dps part   Grin

*punches Demoyn*

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
16/15/14/8/8/14 for a dwarf I assume that the first couple of stat point increases would go into dex to pick up twf and itwf, correct? I have already eaten a +2 cha tome so that should help me some there. This is all really good info. I knew I gimped my pally when I hit about lvl 10, this is just making it all clearer. lol

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:47pm:
16/15/14/8/8/14 for a dwarf I assume that the first couple of stat point increases would go into dex to pick up twf and itwf, correct? I have already eaten a +2 cha tome so that should help me some there. This is all really good info. I knew I gimped my pally when I hit about lvl 10, this is just making it all clearer. lol

When you reincarnate your tomes will be wiped from your stats, so these are base stats he's posting.  You will want to put all of your points into strength, since eating a new +2 or +3 dex tome (depending on which stat layout you use - 17 is the target number) will qualify you for GTWF.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #18 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:53pm:
When you reincarnate your tomes will be wiped from your stats, so these are base stats he's posting.  You will want to put all of your points into strength, since eating a new +2 or +3 dex tome (depending on which stat layout you use - 17 is the target number) will qualify you for GTWF.

Depending on what PRE you take, ending up on an odd Dex stat isn't that bad.

Spectral Gloves ftw!

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 9:53pm:

not to mention itwf as well

IP Logged

()
Special Attention

Hamster cocks expert

Reply #20 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 9:44am
Print Post  

Halfmaniac wrote on Nov 26th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
I'm pretty sure it is safe to say that KNN has brought a BUNCH of stupid from users on this forum out in the open

Halfmaniac wrote on Nov 26th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Some of you got baited real bad in an attempt to troll him back.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint