Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Has DDO lost its focus? (Read 8496 times)
quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Has DDO lost its focus?
Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Just wondering from watching all the tinkering with things that were not broken if people see Turbine losing perspective?

I always thought the best way to resolve many of the problems is simply content.

1)More quest from top to bottom.
They could make a wide variety of quest with various stages of difficulty for each level. Of course the easier ones should not offer as much xp (less risk less gain). This also gets rid of the repetitive running of same quest over and over (think we all get tired of ww.)

2) Complete the PREs and add some classes and races.
Variety helps breed creative builds and more diversity of play in the game in my opinion.

3) Fix current spells and add more.
Right now every arcane caster uses the same half dozen spells ninety percent of the time. One of wizards advantages  is not a factor in current layout.

That's the way I see it at least. I just do not see the justification for the time they put into things like casual mode which are bug ridden and could be resolved with a wider variety of quest available.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Has DDO lost its focus?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 8:20am
Print Post  
on one hand there is epic, on the other hand there is casual.....

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Yeah nothing like running the same quest and calling it new content is it Smiley

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 8:49am
Print Post  
To clarify statement one: I think that more quest with different degrees of difficulty for each level helps game play more than creating casual mode. Epic is only accessible to lvl 20 so till then if you want that challenge your out of luck.

IP Logged

Doctorwhofan
Dragon Raider

The Goddess of Tempest's
Spine

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
quickgrif wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 8:49am:
To clarify statement one: I think that more quest with different degrees of difficulty for each level helps game play more than creating casual mode. Epic is only accessible to lvl 20 so till then if you want that challenge your out of luck.

Isn't that casual mode?  I have no problem with the casual mode.  I have not done an epic yet so I cannot tell you about that.

Personally, I want more quests.  I understand setting dev time to address the f2P casual person.  That's ok.  But they should never forget about the players who have been here, done that, have the T- shirt.

I see them trying to complete PrEs.  Heck, the cleric doesn't even have them yet!

It's less that they are losing perceptive, and more of losing focus.  Splitting time to cover everyone's concerns equals mediocore product.  Focusing each update on one idea would make it a better product.  For example, working on all the PrEs for casters and arcane spells could have been the focus ofUpdate 3.  Yeah, we would complain about no new content...but I would bet that it would be nothing would be broken. 

In lieu of this current issues with Update 3, perhaps they forgot a little problem of the bug reports NOT reaching the QA's desk.  I wonder if it actually got fixed. 404 doesn't hang out on the forums so I wonder if he saw all the little issues.  Just a theory.

It looks like the Art Department's glory is now tarnished and will be remembered as the Update people would ask why they are playing on Lam. if nothing was fixed.

Helping Newbies since April, 2006.
Because I am too lazy to type all my toons out...
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2798094#post2798094

IP Logged

Tspoon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Doctorwhofan wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:11pm:
Isn't that casual mode?  I have no problem with the casual mode.  I have not done an epic yet so I cannot tell you about that.

Personally, I want more quests.  I understand setting dev time to address the f2P casual person.  That's ok.  But they should never forget about the players who have been here, done that, have the T- shirt.

I see them trying to complete PrEs.  Heck, the cleric doesn't even have them yet!

It's less that they are losing perceptive, and more of losing focus.  Splitting time to cover everyone's concerns equals mediocore product.  Focusing each update on one idea would make it a better product.  For example, working on all the PrEs for casters and arcane spells could have been the focus ofUpdate 3.  Yeah, we would complain about no new content...but I would bet that it would be nothing would be broken. 

In lieu of this current issues with Update 3, perhaps they forgot a little problem of the bug reports NOT reaching the QA's desk.  I wonder if it actually got fixed. 404 doesn't hang out on the forums so I wonder if he saw all the little issues.  Just a theory.

It looks like the Art Department's glory is now tarnished and will be remembered as the Update people would ask why they are playing on Lam. if nothing was fixed.

hmm... I was going to post something in these forums on this topic as well, since it wouldn't last long on the DDO forums.  My take is that we'll know by around May (2-3 updates) if the games is dead for serious players.  The main problem is most of your points is that they ALL require significant amounts of development time, and more importantly, creativity which you can't buy cheap. 

Epic difficulty is a no brainer, basically it only requires a basic understanding of the game coding and some modest understanding of the game play.  Cheap and relatively easy.  Unless they make more changes than, increased hitpoints, saves, and invunerablities, I doubt the interest in running epic will last more than 6 months.  Especially when a lot of the epic items aren't all that interesting.  I don't think there will be a change in how quests are converted to epic.

New graphic textures also a no brainer, no creativity required, no real skill required.  This will be done more in future updates

Improving game mechanics, or modifying game mechanics, GUI, playability.  also no creativity no real skill required.  this will also be done more in future updates.

making the game more soloable,  no brains, no skill, no creativity.  Already done, will continue in future updates.

More store development, sorry to repeat myself, but no brains needed here either.  lots more to come. 

New quests that are short, simple and derrivative.  This requires only a little brain power, even the inspired series 1 and 2 are mostly redressed versions of Kobald assault and the sunken sewer...  I believe we'll get some more of these and the higher level ones will have modestly interesting named items that will require repeated grinding of easy content for your cookie... 

New quests and raids that are interesting like Amrath....  Don't hold your breath.   That stuff was expensive to be sure.  Lots of dev time, graphics work, etc...  It would really rock the vets world, however, making "ice games" is obviously a lot easier.  there could be something really interesting in the works, I think the next few updates will tell the tale. 

I for one find the risia ice games insulting.  You can't even go fuck around on it without having to grind the fucking tokens... 

How's that for cynical...  Cheesy

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Doctorwhofan wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 12:11pm:

No casual mode are the same quest played at an easier mode not a totally different quest at same level that is easier but worth less xp.

The first offers zero variety and a rehash of the same linier quest to level. The second offers a wider variety of paths for leveling.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:03pm by quickgrif »  

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
quickgrif wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:00pm:
No casual mode are the same quest played at an easier mode not a totally different quest at same level that is easier but worth less xp.

The first offers zero variety and a rehash of the same linier quest to level. The second offers a wider variety of paths for leveling.

The thing that bugged me was the lack of greater reincarnation in this update, when it was queried in the downtime announcement thread, Tarrant responded with the following:

Quote:
Time and time again, there have been requests for more frequent smaller updates instead of spaced out larger releases. Our development cycle has been adjusted to give you guys that. You can't come back and change your mind because we're not giving you the features in the order you want them.

I mean, WTF? Way for Turbine to twist what we ask for, this isn't a dig at Tarrant mind you, he is just the messenger. We wanted more frequent updates yes, but to intentionally hold back stuff that said was in an update and then say 'Oh its in the update, just not right now' is just crap. If something is in 'Update 3 patch 3' or something, it's not in Update 3, that is just being misleading. Especially in this case where up until the day of release for Update 3, GR was coming in Update 3, they seem to have changed their mind in the last minute.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Tspoon
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:26pm:
The thing that bugged me was the lack of greater reincarnation in this update, when it was queried in the downtime announcement thread, Tarrant responded with the following:

I mean, WTF? Way for Turbine to twist what we ask for, this isn't a dig at Tarrant mind you, he is just the messenger. We wanted more frequent updates yes, but to intentionally hold back stuff that said was in an update and then say 'Oh its in the update, just not right now' is just crap. If something is in 'Update 3 patch 3' or something, it's not in Update 3, that is just being misleading. Especially in this case where up until the day of release for Update 3, GR was coming in Update 3, they seem to have changed their mind in the last minute.

Would you rather they released it with some horrid bug.  This release is already seriously under QA'ed as it is...  Be thankful that you didn't run to GR you toon and having it become permanently borked...  just sayin...  I am happy to wait for things that work versus half done things.

IP Logged

Borror0
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
quickgrif wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:15am:
1)More quest from top to bottom.
They could make a wide variety of quest with various stages of difficulty for each level. Of course the easier ones should not offer as much xp (less risk less gain). This also gets rid of the repetitive running of same quest over and over (think we all get tired of ww.)

I don't understand why you think there should be quests of various difficulties. We have Casual, Normal, Hard and Elite for that. Adding quests of various difficulty levels means that the level on the quest is no longer an indication of difficulty. It just becomes needlessly confusing  ("Okay, so how difficult is that quest really?"). Not to mention, it's far more expensive.

As for adding quests from top to bottom, bit's called pre-Module 4 time and it was an horrible idea. Pretty much all quests that were added under the level cap never got played heavily. It's a waste of resources that could be better spent on high level quests. Rather, if Turbine wants us to play more content, an XP rebalancing and revisiting refurbishing unpopular quests to fix the unpopular elements is the way to go.

Completely agree on your two other points, though.

Quote:
This release is already seriously under QA'ed as it is...

I have the feeling they uploaded the wrong build.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:54pm by Borror0 »  
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Borror0 wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:51pm:
As for adding quests from top to bottom, bit's called pre-Module 4 time and it was an horrible idea. Pretty much all quests that were added under the level cap never got played heavily. It's a waste of resources that could be better spent on high level quests. Rather, if Turbine wants us to play more content, an XP rebalancing and revisiting refurbishing unpopular quests to fix the unpopular elements is the way to go.

If they'd release new quests with competitive XP and loot rewards then people would run them.  Don't be surprised when you bring out new content that's worth a quarter of the XP (and no good loot, or horrid drop rates) of original quests and people only run them once for favor.  Seriously, how smart do you have to be to not see this coming a mile away?

IP Logged

Borror0
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 3:59pm:
If they'd release new quests with competitive XP and loot rewards then people would run them.  Don't be surprised when you bring out new content that's worth a quarter of the XP (and no good loot, or horrid drop rates) of original quests and people only run them once for favor.  Seriously, how smart do you have to be to not see this coming a mile away?

Like I know what the hell they are thinking...

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Borror0 wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:00pm:
Like I know what the hell they are thinking...

Like THEY know what the hell they are thinking...

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Would you rather they released it with some horrid bug.  This release is already seriously under QA'ed as it is...  Be thankful that you didn't run to GR you toon and having it become permanently borked...  just sayin...  I am happy to wait for things that work versus half done things.

As far as I am aware GR is finished and tested waiting for release, they are just holding it off so they can say "Hey look, we did release something new this month!" It was a marketing decision.

I agree too borr, some of the bugs on live were fixed in the latest llamamania update, seems like the wrong build got through.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
I don't understand why you think there should be quests of various difficulties. We have Casual, Normal, Hard and Elite for that. Adding quests of various difficulty levels means that the level on the quest is no longer an indication of difficulty. It just becomes needlessly confusing  ("Okay, so how difficult is that quest really?"). Not to mention, it's far more expensive.

Completely agree on your two other points, though.

Because casual normal hard elite is rehashing the same quest in effect grinding xp.

And simply put quest are not equal as far as difficulty. Some are harder and take longer to complete, others are short and sweet. They can have the same lvl but offer varying difficulty and time needed to complete. So easier quicker quest should offer less xp but offer more options for people who struggle with harder quest at the level and or have limited time to play.

IP Logged

Borror0
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
quickgrif wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:22pm:
Because casual normal hard elite is rehashing the same quest in effect grinding xp.

And simply put quest are not equal as far as difficulty. Some are harder and take longer to complete, others are short and sweet. They can have the same lvl but offer varying difficulty and time needed to complete. So easier quicker quest should offer less xp but offer more options for people who struggle with harder quest at the level and or have limited time to play.

Varying in time to complete makes sense. It's another completely variable, but level of the quest is supposed to indicate the difficulty of the quest. What else do you think it even should represent? If you're badass, you'll pick Elite; if you're a n00b you'll pick Casual but, regardless, the quest level should be an indicator of whether you're ready to tackle the quest or not.

Otherwise, it's just an useless variable.

It would be unreasonable to expect all quests of a certain level to be of the exact same difficulty but you're asking to make them purposely harder or easier than others. That's just nonsensical and a waste of resources.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Doctorwhofan
Dragon Raider

The Goddess of Tempest's
Spine

Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
wanted to quote Borror0 above me...grrr!

I would agree with that.  THat's why I didn't care about casual.  As long asthe XP and loot reflected the easier path.  Some people only have a hour or two to do stuff. Fine on lower levels but the higher ones can take hours for someone not familiar with the quests, with multiple wipes. 

Regardless, I do hate the easy button.  Casual, in this day in the game, is too easy.  But I do understand WHY it shouldbe available.  I don't have to do it, nor does it cheapen the game for me.  It cheapens peoples' accomplishments like MrCow, who worked hard to solo the game.  He will aways be a soloist, these new people, not so much.  Not that I solo alotpast 6 anyways.  Smiley

What I do feel is a slow slide towards SWG.  Maybe not update 4, or even 10, but that is the direction we are heading, passing out Jedi at the door.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:35pm by Doctorwhofan »  

Helping Newbies since April, 2006.
Because I am too lazy to type all my toons out...
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2798094#post2798094

IP Logged

Tspoon
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:39pm
Print Post  

Now that is hilarious!  If that was the case, today's patch should fix a lot of things...  now I'm curious...

IP Logged

Borror0
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #18 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Honestly, I have no problem with the "dumbing down of the game" for as long as turbine focuses on maintaining a certain level of community and challenging us. I have not played much of Update 3 yet so I don't know how well they are doing at the latter but I know they have some work to do on the former.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:45pm
Print Post  

I was wondering that myself. The build date on the release was, I think, Jan 25th. There were discussions on the Lam threads about problems after that date.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #20 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Borror0 wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 4:43pm:
Honestly, I have no problem with the "dumbing down of the game" for as long as turbine focuses on maintaining a certain level of community and challenging us. I have not played much of Update 3 yet so I don't know how well they are doing at the latter but I know they have some work to do on the former.

On the other end of the spectrum you have the Von epic quests, ranging from VON1 (which I ran last night on my cleric and found fairly easy compared to the desert quests) to Von5 and 6.

The corridor traps in Von5 are just silly, someone reported not being able to find them with a search of 72 and failed a save on the traps with a roll of 18 (+53) which is a little silly.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #21 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
My 2cp...

Turbine can have a pass on this update.  The last three have been fairly smooth, and while this one is buggy, at least we're able to log in and play.  3 outta 4 ain't bad.

As far as focus, I think they're doing better than they have in the past, but they still have a long way to go.  While I'm sure some will disagree with me, I consider the combination of casual mode and dungeon scaling to be a prime example of an area where their focus has been lost.  When DS came out, my biggest complaint was that they took away the feeling of accomplishment one receives when they solo a six-party dungeon on normal or hard.  The overall purpose of DS was to make the dungeons more accessible to solo play - a goal that casual mode can achieve.

If you can accomplish a goal and end up with the following situations, which would you choose as the most desirable outcome?
  • Group A is happy, Group B is unhappy
  • Group A is unhappy, Group B is happy
  • Both groups are unhappy
  • Both groups are happy

Obviously, you'd want the fourth option.  Had they introduced casual mode instead of DS, that's the outcome they could have achieved.  Instead, we're left with the first outcome... those who wanted easier dungeons have them, while those who enjoyed normal and hard as they were have had that option stripped from them.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Borror0
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #22 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 7:31pm:
  Had they introduced casual mode instead of DS, that's the outcome they could have achieved.

I hear that a lot but it does not make sense. Casual makes the quest easier. Dungeon Scaling adjust the quest's difficulty to the group's size. The two are completely different and don't step on each other's toes: if you build a quest that can be soloed by any character, it'll be a cakewalk for bigger groups that might find Normal too hard.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2010 at 8:51pm by Borror0 »  
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
i have no problems with casual content. i have no problems with elite/content. i have no problems with dungeon scaling.

i do have a problem when all three converge, ie a player who does things on casual/normal, get into a raid. people who have never done things at stressful settings (elite/hard) face a huge task in upping their game to the necessary level in order not to drag the party

to quote an example, my guild did an elite hound. most were guildies and several players who have done it on elite. in came a noob (from guardios). nothing goes wrong for the 1st 2 stones. then he decided to pick up stone 3 and 4, started killing dogs, drag renders into the centre. not a griefer as when i booted him from the party and did it on normal, he keep hitting the lfm even when i decline him each time

in the past, players like this will never make it into a raid, with each dumbing down of the game. you see more and more of them, especially in raids where no flagging is required ie vod, hound

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #24 - Feb 4th, 2010 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 4th, 2010 at 9:10pm:
i have no problems with casual content. i have no problems with elite/content. i have no problems with dungeon scaling.

i do have a problem when all three converge, ie a player who does things on casual/normal, get into a raid. people who have never done things at stressful settings (elite/hard) face a huge task in upping their game to the necessary level in order not to drag the party

to quote an example, my guild did an elite hound. most were guildies and several players who have done it on elite. in came a noob (from guardios). nothing goes wrong for the 1st 2 stones. then he decided to pick up stone 3 and 4, started killing dogs, drag renders into the centre. not a griefer as when i booted him from the party and did it on normal, he keep hitting the lfm even when i decline him each time

in the past, players like this will never make it into a raid, with each dumbing down of the game. you see more and more of them, especially in raids where no flagging is required ie vod, hound

I just don't understand why people don't say anything when they have never done a raid, especially if it's being done on elite.

With something like Hound, as long as the new person follows instructions, it should be fine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint