Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tyevic TR (Read 4829 times)
quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Tyevic TR
Feb 7th, 2010 at 5:50am
Print Post  
When they fix it going to TR my gimpy ranger. Using rapiers the have already been built.

I am sure I am missing something here....
Going dex build to push ac up and still can achieve spurts of high strength for short periods. Only thing currently missing is chattering ring bah and no TOD rings and +8 bracers (have +7 currently)

Tyevic Elf 18 Ranger/2 Monk
stats:
Strength: 16 + 6 item + 2 tome 24 standing + 6 titan grip gloves +6 raged and double mad stone= 36
Dexterity: 18 + 7 item + 1 exceptional + 5 enhanecments + 2 tome + 5 level ups = 38
Constitution: 12 + 6 item + 3 tome + 1 exceptional = 22
Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 15 + 6 item + 1 enhancement + 2 tome= 24
Charisma: 8

Level progression
1: monk
2-9: ranger
10: monk
11-20 ranger

Feats:
1: Toughness, Dodge
2: Favored Enemy Undead
3: Finesse
6: Mobility, Favored Enemy Giants
9: Spring Attack
10: Power Attack
12: Improved Critical Piercing, Favored Enemy Evil Outsider
15: Oversized Two Weapon Fighting
17: Favored Enemy Constructs
18: Two Weapon Defense

Armor Class:
10 Base
05 Natural Barkskin
05 Deflection Bonus GS cloak
04 Tempest
01 Dodge
01 Alchemy
04 Dodge from Icy Rainments
04 insight from green steel
14 Dex bonus
07 Wisdom Bonus
08 Bracers
01 Weapon Defense
03 Chattering Ring
67 self buffed
+ 3 vs Favored Enemy
+2 Defensive Stance

Hitpoints:
144 Ranger
016 Monk
020 Heroric Durability
120 Constitution
040 Superior False Life
020 Minos Legens
045 Green steel
010 Draconic Favor

415 Total

Equipment:
Head: Minos Legens
Gloves Epic Spectral Gloves
Bracers: Armored Bracers +8/ epic bracers of deftness
Necklace:
Armor: Icy Rainment
Boots: Epic Dustless Boots
Ring1:
Ring2:
Trinket:Epic Duskheart

Any imput would be great

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Re: Tyevic TR
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 11:00am
Print Post  
You're putting so much emphasis on AC that you're on the verge of being gimped.  You don't need a 72 self-buffed AC to be good.  Once you factor in inspire heroics, recitation, and haste you're sitting at a 79 AC.  That's 9 points over the needed AC that could all be spent on damage instead (the only thing in this game that really matters other than healing).

Instead you could drop that finesse crap and put your levelups into strength.  With a +3 dex tome (which you will eventually get) you'll have a 34 dex, thus losing only 2 AC (down to 77, but dealing +3 more damage per hit with +3 strength tome).

Drop your wisdom by 1 and account for a +3 wisdom tome.  This will give you the same ending modifier but give you 2 more points to spend on stats.

Drop your initial dex by 2.  This will give you a finishing 32 dex (thus 76 AC) but allow you to raise your strength to 18, giving you another +1 damage on every swing.

You forgot to add in toughness and enhancements to your hit point calculations.  You'll have another 43 hit points.

Take the ranger level first.  You'll get another 8 skill points by doing that.

A regular bloodstone will be better than an epic duskheart.  10 hit points isn't going to make or break the character, but an average of 4 damage per swing (30% crits with rapiers, 12 damage per crit) could very well cost your life quite a few times.

The feats finesse, improved critical, oversized two weapon fighting, and two weapon defense are all expendable.  You said you already have two greensteel rapiers, but you didn't mention what kind.  Assuming they're MinII (which they should be) then you don't need improved critical.  Your attack bonus will already be high, so the only time this would even be a slight benefit is on epic content.  Finesse is useless if you have the appropriate strength.  Your AC is already over the minimum, so the only time you'll notice two weapon defense is if you're soloing (and even then it's only a 5% difference).

Instead of those four feats you could have things like khopesh (which deal more damage than rapiers, even for an elf), iron will (which will get you to the +28 will save you need for ToD), or more toughness feats (which I usually wouldn't recommend, but in this case it will allow you to break the 500 HP minimum for ToD tanks).

That's all I can think of for now.  In general, when building a character, just remember that defenses are near useless and offense is one of the only two things in the game that matter.  Never ever ever ever EVER sacrifice significant offense for useless defense.

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input will tweak him some more will keep two wep def as it is required for Tempest three.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
quickgrif wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:20pm:
Thanks for the input will tweak him some more will keep two wep def as it is required for Tempest three.

It's one of the options.  Oversized TWF is another of the options, so either of those will suffice.  If I were making the character I'd stick to the offensive feat (especially if I planned to do epic content where AC is meaningless and the attack bonus helps), but that one decision won't gimp your character in any way.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:31pm:
It's one of the options.  Oversized TWF is another of the options, so either of those will suffice.  If I were making the character I'd stick to the offensive feat (especially if I planned to do epic content where AC is meaningless and the attack bonus helps), but that one decision won't gimp your character in any way.

Agreed. Go with Oversized TWF for sure.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Yeah was a toss up. But I solo things like Sins a lot now even with the current 3 yr old gimp dex build Smiley Figured some ac helps there more than not lol.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:42pm by quickgrif »  

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:31pm:
epic content where AC is meaningless

orly?  Huh

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
this build is very similar to my floating leaf build, urden. same with you, he's a finesse build but with help of madstone and rages in situations like shroud 4/5, he stands at 36 str/36 dex (i have FB set). i dun have a chattering ring yet but i'm not too worried as i'm gunning for shintao set. i also do not have a +5 prot item, instead using the +4 prot on icy. this frees up a slot for 1 ac which i find is quite worthwhile. i do not have a min2 45 hp cloak but instead use a smoke II 45 hp cloak. this allows me to solo stuff. also i took empower healing which with ranger devotion and a potency item (you can also go for bard necks for sup pot VI) for uber self healing

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 7:18pm:
orly?  Huh

If something changed with VoN epic then I don't know because I haven't played in a while, but in the desert our tanks with 70-80 AC took just as much damage as our barbarians with 28 AC.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 9th, 2010 at 12:17am:
If something changed with VoN epic then I don't know because I haven't played in a while, but in the desert our tanks with 70-80 AC took just as much damage as our barbarians with 28 AC.

The Epic Queen hits my 13/6/1 about half the time.  That's essentially doubling his HP into barb range, and it works just fine.  Epic Velah is a bit different - she misses more but has other attacks that are apparently unavoidable.  So he fares less well than a hunk of meat there, though he performs much better than meat in the pillar portion of the quest (which is different now).

On epic, AC is not the god-like thing that it can be on the other settings.  But it's not useless if you're talking uber numbers (70+).

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 3:41am
Print Post  
Well I took a break from the game till a few months ago. Now I am sitting at cap with this build and am planning on my next life as a monk.

Any thoughts on stunning fist and dc's after this next update?

I had planned to create a wisdom based type of half orc, with lvl ups into wisdom or a WF one focusing on str first.

What are your guys thoughts on the up and coming changes and what type of builds will be most viable?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 4:03am
Print Post  
quickgrif wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 at 3:41am:
Well I took a break from the game till a few months ago. Now I am sitting at cap with this build and am planning on my next life as a monk.

Any thoughts on stunning fist and dc's after this next update?

I had planned to create a wisdom based type of half orc, with lvl ups into wisdom or a WF one focusing on str first.

What are your guys thoughts on the up and coming changes and what type of builds will be most viable?

If you want the most viable, you will never ever fail with max con and max strength for melee.

Other then that, anything you can make effective and enjoy is viable.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 4:39am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 at 4:03am:
If you want the most viable, you will never ever fail with max con and max strength for melee.

Other then that, anything you can make effective and enjoy is viable.

I know this of course.  Smiley

I guess what I am getting at from people who have played monks in high content and epic both present and lam what they see are minimum dcs for stunning fist and blow etc.

Run a bunch of chars. to level but monk is one I have yet to do to cap.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 4:57am
Print Post  
quickgrif wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 at 4:39am:
I know this of course.  Smiley

I guess what I am getting at from people who have played monks in high content and epic both present and lam what they see are minimum dcs for stunning fist and blow etc.

Run a bunch of chars. to level but monk is one I have yet to do to cap.

If you go fire stance, having wisdom at least 24 is a good start.  Anything higher is just groovy.  WF and dwarf I find it worth getting the extra +2 to dcs for the 6 ap.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
For Endgame/Epic content, you want Stunning DCs at 40+

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Alekx
VoD Slasher

Argonnessen

Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 at 12:37pm:
For Endgame/Epic content, you want any offensive DCs at 40+

slightly fixed

~ Pure Life ~ Argonnessen ~

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Ok think I will go with half orc and put lvl ups in wisdom to help stunning fist and to land tods.

Right now thinking something like the following...
18 str
15 dex
16 con
15 wis
Will adjust after I crunch some numbers and decide on what equipment to add.
Input is always invited of course.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #17 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
quickgrif wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 at 1:42pm:
Ok think I will go with half orc and put lvl ups in wisdom to help stunning fist and to land tods.

Right now thinking something like the following...
18 str
15 dex
16 con
15 wis
Will adjust after I crunch some numbers and decide on what equipment to add.
Input is always invited of course.

That looks fairly decent.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #18 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 at 12:37pm:
For Endgame/Epic content, you want Stunning DCs at 40+

This^,  though I would recommend just blowing through life 1 then doing monk again for the monk past life feat.  +1 dmg from having a monk tr then get the monk past life to increase the fist die step by 1.  With level 20 and stunning 10 wraps your dc is 30.  Popping your wisdom up to 30 or more is great, but perfectly understandable if not done the first life.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

quickgrif
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
This guy is about five years old. He started out as a gimpy dex build ranger that used wounding and puncturing back in the day when it was king.

My 2nd life was a strong solo build to help me transition towards stronger modern builds. Got bored at one point and soloed Amarath quest at 16 just for kicks.  Smiley

IP Logged

@i@
Dirty Sock

Evading a ban XD

Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 6:19pm
Print Post  

Quote:
No dumbass, they're mediocre. Most of the people have about 6 int in real life and chew rather than playing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint