Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What to do with Pints? (Read 7082 times)
Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

What to do with Pints?
Jul 8th, 2010 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Pints is my trusty 13/6/1 rog/rgr/mnk. 

The 6 ranger used to be for tempest, but now the two main reasons for it (2 AC and 10% alacrity) are gone (I always have shield spell up, the AC is now a shield bonus).  I don't think the 10% off-hand proc chance increase is even close to being worth 6 levels of ranger and 3 feats (well, 2, he is an AC build so I'd take probably dodge either way).

I've considered dropping the 6 ranger levels, but I don't see any reason to do so for the time being... I get a lot of nice things (Diehard, PBS, RS, Manyshit, TWF, ITWF, Rams Might, etc).  Pints is a thief-acrobat, and I have no plans to make him into an assassin.  Of course, there's no tier three thief-acrobat yet... so again, very little reason (IMO) to drop the six ranger levels for the time being.

So I'm thinking I'll stay 13/6/1 for the time being, drop tempest, and use the remaining two feats for something.  If Turbine ever gets off their asses and comes out with a tier III thief-acrobat, I'll decide if it's worth dropping the ranger levels for.

My questions:
  • Am I missing anything?  I'm not in-game, so I'm relying on release notes for my thinking.  For example, is tempest 1 still worth the feats, despite sounding so shitty?
  • What feats might you suggest to replace mobility and spring attack?  I have GTWF, toughness, dodge.  I'm thinking TWD wouldn't be bad.  No need for SF:anything.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: What to do with Pints?
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
13/7 ninja spy? or pure rog with the rog capstone for 4d6 SA

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Jul 8th, 2010 at 9:50pm:
13/7 ninja spy? or pure rog with the rog capstone for 4d6 SA

Either of these is Win

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
I haven't studied the new changes enough yet to give serious powergamer build advice, but in the past I'd have suggested trading out the ranger levels for monk so you could get wind stance bonus and use a quarterstaff.  Since other people are also saying monk I may still be on to something.  Smiley

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:05am
Print Post  
13/7mnk ninja spy = twf ss killer

13/7mnk acrobat = have fun  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Don't confuse "thief-acrobat" with "qstaff". 

I've always considered that to be a flavor of the PrE, not something meant to actually be used  Wink

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:26am:

I've always considered that to be a flavor of the PrE, not something meant to actually be used  Wink

With the way the new changes have hampered the speed of TWF I can't see why a quarterstaff wouldn't be superior.  The faster you attack, the more sneak attack damage you'll end up dealing.  Again, I haven't studied enough yet, so this is just thoughts from the top of my head.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:11am:
With the way the new changes have hampered the speed of TWF I can't see why a quarterstaff wouldn't be superior.  The faster you attack, the more sneak attack damage you'll end up dealing.  Again, I haven't studied enough yet, so this is just thoughts from the top of my head.

coz rad ss >>> rad staff

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:26am:
coz rad ss >>> rad staff

It's not MUCH greater... it's a +10% chance to blind.  Obviously that has to be considered, though.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:48am
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:42am:
It's not MUCH greater... it's a +10% chance to blind.  Obviously that has to be considered, though.

A rogue without a radiance rapier is like a dude without a dick.  I think that pretty much covers it.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:48am:
A rogue without a radiance rapier is like a dude without a dick.  I think that pretty much covers it.

You'd still have a radiance quarterstaff.  The issue here is where the breaking point between extra crits and extra backstab swings comes in.  Plus, you wouldn't be using a rapier as a ninja spy anyway.  He said SHORTSWORD!
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:52am by Demoyn »  

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:52am:
You'd still have a radiance quarterstaff.  The issue here is where the breaking point between extra crits and extra backstab swings comes in.  Plus, you wouldn't be using a rapier as a ninja spy anyway.  He said SHORTSWORD!

10% + double strike can be significant. why else would players go for rad rapiers instead of rad ss if its just 10%? if you look from it in another pov. the ss procs radiance twice as much as the staff. this way it becomes +100%!

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 2:25am
Print Post  
I don't want to learn this new, shitty system.  Don't argue with me because then I'll have to (I hate to lose arguments).  Sad

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 3:29am
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 2:25am:
I don't want to learn this new, shitty system.  Don't argue with me because then I'll have to (I hate to lose arguments).  Sad

all right! you win! i lose! (do u feel better?)  Grin

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 12:26am:

I've bounced back and forth between thief-acrobat and assassin on Inkdrop.  I like the immunity to knockdown on the thief-acrobat, but I found I didn't use much else from the prestige class.  It is fun to beat the hell out of anything with overrun (Lailat I'm looking at you!)

Currently I'm going with Assassin for the extra DPS.  I respecced into it with the capstone update.  It's kind of nice to see 95-100 sneak attack damage on crits before weapons and procs.  I didn't even put the assassinate button on my toolbar, and it would take me a while to find the sneak button.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #15 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Alright, now I'm trying to figure out where that 95-100 comes from before someone calls me out on it.  I definitely see it in the floaty text.

35 - 10d6 SA for Rogue 20
14 - 4d6 SA for Rogue capstone
11 - 3d6 for Assassin III (rounded up)
12 - Rogue Damage Enhancements
  8 - Tharne's Goggles
------------
80 Total

What am I missing?  Inkdrop is an elf, so it isn't the Halfling racial backstab enhancements.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 3:29am:
all right! you win! i lose! (do u feel better?)  Grin

I do!  Thank you very much.  Smiley

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:28am:
Alright, now I'm trying to figure out where that 95-100 comes from before someone calls me out on it.  I definitely see it in the floaty text.

8 - Tharne's Goggles
------------
80 Total

What am I missing?  Inkdrop is an elf, so it isn't the Halfling racial backstab enhancements.

to be more exact its 37 - 122

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #18 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:58am:
to be more exact its 37 - 122

Turbine dice?

I know they do some things to simplify dice rolling and shade some numbers up, but I can't think of what.  The actual numbers are remarkably consistent with 90% of crits between 90-105.

IP Logged

Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

Reply #19 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:18am
Print Post  
could always go ftr 6 and beef up your non sneak DPS slightly, without castnig ram's might.

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #20 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 1:52am:

I took a look at ninja spy, I think it would be better going 19/1 rog/mnk than 13/7.  Pure rogue won't work for me, it's too far from the theme of the build.

Inkblack wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:11am:
I've bounced back and forth between thief-acrobat and assassin on Inkdrop.  I like the immunity to knockdown on the thief-acrobat, but I found I didn't use much else from the prestige class.  It is fun to beat the hell out of anything with overrun (Lailat I'm looking at you!)

Currently I'm going with Assassin for the extra DPS.  I respecced into it with the capstone update.  It's kind of nice to see 95-100 sneak attack damage on crits before weapons and procs.  I didn't even put the assassinate button on my toolbar, and it would take me a while to find the sneak button.

I have to concede that assassin is a better PrE... of course, it's completed, whereas T-A isn't.  It should be better.

Showtime and the extra uses of imp. uncanny dodge are what did it for me.  Having 4+ minutes of improved uncanny dodge and 5+ minutes of showtime make them very viable portions of the build (btw that's a total of +8AC for four or more minutes per rest).  Being able to maintain crazy AC - self-buffed or with help - while dishing out loads of DPS is very very fun.  Smiley

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #21 - Jul 9th, 2010 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Gornn wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:18am:
could always go ftr 6 and beef up your non sneak DPS slightly, without castnig ram's might.

Not sure that'd be a DPS boost... don't forget about Favored Enemy.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
I don't have anything helpful to add, I just like that your original post says "manyshit."  Grin

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #23 - Jul 11th, 2010 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I don't have anything helpful to add, I just like that your original post says "manyshit."  Grin

I have that feat in RL Cheesy

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #24 - Jul 24th, 2010 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 9:28am:

8 - Tharne's Goggles
------------
80 Total

Simply put is 17d6 +12+8 (37-122) really.

Inkblack wrote on Jul 9th, 2010 at 10:17am:
Turbine dice?

I know they do some things to simplify dice rolling and shade some numbers up, but I can't think of what.  The actual numbers are remarkably consistent with 90% of crits between 90-105.

Turbine does do something funky as the mode is definately skewed to the upper ends... it is rare I see below an 80 on my assasin.

« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2010 at 11:09am by Emili »  

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint