Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Equipment Question (Read 7246 times)
Bones400
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Equipment Question
Aug 15th, 2010 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I'm pretty new to the game.  My highest level char is lvl 8 I think.  Anyway, I'm currently leveling up a TWF Human Pally with Khopeshes (using Kukri's right now because I found a +1 Frost Kukri of PG for 1,000 plat on the AH and can't afford a better Khop yet) and I just wanted to get an idea on what equipment I should be looking to get at what level etc. 

I understand most of it is meaningless once I gain another level or two, but I would like to try to max my potential equipment wise whenever possible since I solo almost exclusively and also would like some suggestions on what the best slots for certain items is.

Anyway, I'm lvl 5 right now and here's what I currently have equipped:

Head - +2 Charismatic Hat
Necklace - Anger's Gift (can't bring myself to get rid of that +2 attack bonus yet)
Trinket - Crimson Gemstone - Wizardry II (there wasn't much else of an option for Tangleroot reward and 7 SP was getting used up pretty fast with Divine Sacrafice)
Eyes - Goggles of Insight (could probably get rid of these, but there's not much useful eyewear for a Pally that I've seen)
Cloak - Furor's Hide (Lesser axeblock)
Body - +3 Fullplate
Wrists - Lesser Spear block
Belt - Bloodknuckles Loincloth (Light Fort)
Rings - +1 Protection, +2 Wis (Need to change this, thought +2 would allow me to cast spells...it doesn't, though I think I will take Human adaptability for Wis to get it there)
Boots - Anger's Step (again, hate giving up that +2 attack, plus the expeditious retreat clicky is great at this level, I have 5 pair (10 uses per rest) so I can sprint at all times)
Gloves: +1 Dex (gets me to an even number)

Current Stats with all enhancements from level ups, Clothing and action points:

18 (16)
16 (15)
12 (12)
8 (8)
10 (8)
20 (16)

Now, I'm not really asking for advice on the specific items, but the general setup.  I need to get a +2 Con Item for sure right now, but other than that is the setup ok?  I have trouble deciding on which slots to use for which enhancements in order to fit in everything I need (Str, Cha, Wis, Highest Fort possible, Protection, False life, DR etc)

Also, at which point should I give up on trying to maintain a good AC as a TWF Pally?  I have a 23 right now, which is fine for my level so far but it would be nice to know when I can stop focusing on AC items to free up slots for Fort, DR etc.

Thanks for any help, let the Hi Welcome barrage commence.

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2010 at 2:54pm by Bones400 »  

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Re: Equipment Question
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Reroll.

Pally's are feat starved and stat intensive. I'd wait till you have got at least 32 pt build before doing a TWF pally. Also unless you have the funds or really good luck wait till you have a main at end game to get you your khops. They are expensive and hard to find. One way around this(kinda) is go Dwarf to automaticially get the Dwarven Waraxe prof which is alot more common of a wep and is not too bad in itself. You'd end up taking a  hit on Cha though.

As far as weps go always look for elemental + pg. RR for what ever you are or will be playing if you can. Once you start lvling up you will be able to find most of your situtationial weps. For a pally once they get to lvl 16( I think) they get thier holy sword spell and that will sub in for alot of your weps till you grind out your GS.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:30am
Print Post  
I'm very much not an elite vet, but I've found that the To Hit penalties associated with Two Weapon Fighting make me cry at lower levels.  Even though I'm taking the TWF/ITWF/GTWF feats as they're available, I still end up swinging a Carnifex while I'm trudging though the lower levels. 

The extra To Hit from not having TWF To Hit penalties together with the fact that Carnifex is both really good DPS and impossible to permanently damage mean that I use it whenever I don't have a situationally better weapon on hand.  Which is most of the time when I'm making a new character. If anyone has suggestions on how to get to the "hitting on 2's" To Hit at lower levels with TWF, I'd be delighted to hear.

Edit:  Yes, I know this has nothing to do with the OP's question.  At least I do now.  The OP's question was a little too TLDR and I ended up reading Woody's response more carefully than the original post.  It's late.  I'm going to bed.  If anyone has suggestions on how to get to bed at the lower levels and actually get to sleep without potions of "why am I lying on the kitchen floor and what is this knife doing in my hand" like Ambien, I'd be delighted to hear.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2010 at 1:04am by popejubal »  

fnord

IP Logged

Bones400
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:51am
Print Post  
woody wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:10am:
Reroll.

Of course  Grin

Pally's are feat starved and stat intensive. I'd wait till you have got at least 32 pt build before doing a TWF pally.

The build in question is a 32 point build.

Also unless you have the funds or really good luck wait till you have a main at end game to get you your khops. They are expensive and hard to find. One way around this(kinda) is go Dwarf to automaticially get the Dwarven Waraxe prof which is alot more common of a wep and is not too bad in itself. You'd end up taking a  hit on Cha though.

As far as weps go always look for elemental + pg. RR for what ever you are or will be playing if you can. Once you start lvling up you will be able to find most of your situtationial weps. For a pally once they get to lvl 16( I think) they get thier holy sword spell and that will sub in for alot of your weps till you grind out your GS.

Look, I understand the desire to jump in and show off your knowledge of something at every opportunity and I appreciate you trying to help...but you didn't address any of the questions in the OP.

I'm not looking for advice on the build, I didn't ask that.  I'm not looking for advice on weapons, didn't ask that either.

I'm just looking for the common setups for equipment slots in order to fit everything in, what's needed at which level as I level up, when I should stop bothering for a decent AC if ever and any other useful information regarding that line of questions.

I really do appreciate the response though.  Don't mean to come off as ungrateful.  Cool
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:52am by Bones400 »  

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 1:58am
Print Post  
Reroll.

Pally's are feat starved and stat intensive. I'd wait till you have got at least 32 pt build before doing a TWF pally. Also unless you have the funds or really good luck wait till you have a main at end game to get you your khops. They are expensive and hard to find. One way around this(kinda) is go Dwarf to automaticially get the Dwarven Waraxe prof which is alot more common of a wep and is not too bad in itself. You'd end up taking a  hit on Cha though.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 2:02am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:30am:
I'm very much not an elite vet, but I've found that the To Hit penalties associated with Two Weapon Fighting make me cry at lower levels.  Even though I'm taking the TWF/ITWF/GTWF feats as they're available, I still end up swinging a Carnifex while I'm trudging though the lower levels. 

The extra To Hit from not having TWF To Hit penalties together with the fact that Carnifex is both really good DPS and impossible to permanently damage mean that I use it whenever I don't have a situationally better weapon on hand.  Which is most of the time when I'm making a new character. If anyone has suggestions on how to get to the "hitting on 2's" To Hit at lower levels with TWF, I'd be delighted to hear.

Edit:  Yes, I know this has nothing to do with the OP's question.  At least I do now.  The OP's question was a little too TLDR and I ended up reading Woody's response more carefully than the original post.  It's late.  I'm going to bed.  If anyone has suggestions on how to get to bed at the lower levels and actually get to sleep without potions of "why am I lying on the kitchen floor and what is this knife doing in my hand" like Ambien, I'd be delighted to hear.

u wont fully get to hit to +2 buy you could minimise it a lot by

1. get anger's set
2. get goggles of insight
3. get keen of pure good, rr, min GL (rr will reduce by 2ML, as will min GL)
4. max str
5. bulls pot
6. rage pot
7. haste pot
8. ddo store pot
9. air ship buff
10. luck trinket

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Bones400 wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:51am:
Of course  Grin

Look, I understand the desire to jump in and show off your knowledge of something at every opportunity and I appreciate you trying to help...but you didn't address any of the questions in the OP.

I'm not looking for advice on the build, I didn't ask that.  I'm not looking for advice on weapons, didn't ask that either.

I'm just looking for the common setups for equipment slots in order to fit everything in, what's needed at which level as I level up, when I should stop bothering for a decent AC if ever and any other useful information regarding that line of questions.

I really do appreciate the response though.  Don't mean to come off as ungrateful.  Cool

tbh, a higher con will do u better

IP Logged

Bones400
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 2:14am
Print Post  
Grin

Indeed

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:08am
Print Post  
I'm not an expert on builds but I will help you run though whatever quests you need to farm static items from and I may be able to help furnish you with certain gear.

Once you know what you need, send me a tell.

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 1:58am:

Thank you.

Aranticus wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 2:03am:
tbh, a higher con will do u better

This is why I said reroll. A 12 con is really pushing it.

Bones400 wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 12:51am:
Of course  Grin

Did'nt mean to come off elitiest in any way. As far as gear goes get the max str/con/wis/cha item you can at your level. Best armor you can right now is prolly Mithral Full plate. Unless you are going for a tank build AC gets pretty much worthless around Gianthold. Your gear layout will change constantly until you get exactaly what you are looking for at lvl 20. So there is no real set map for it right now at your low of a lvl. Just go with what works at the time.

IP Logged

Bones400
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Astraghal wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:08am:
I'm not an expert on builds but I will help you run though whatever quests you need to farm static items from and I may be able to help furnish you with certain gear.

Once you know what you need, send me a tell.

That's very generous, thank you. 

woody wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:10am:
This is why I said reroll. A 12 con is really pushing it.

Yeah if I had it to do over again, I would probably switch CON and CHA though I'm a little unlcear about pre-reqs now for Divine Might.  I thought 20 base CHA was required for DMIV but the Wiki says 18.  Is that corrrect? 

Who knows, maybe I will do it over again.  I kind of wish I would have gone THF anyways. 

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #11 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Bones400 wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:15am:
Yeah if I had it to do over again, I would probably switch CON and CHA though I'm a little unlcear about pre-reqs now for Divine Might.  I thought 20 base CHA was required for DMIV but the Wiki says 18.  Is that corrrect? 

Who knows, maybe I will do it over again.  I kind of wish I would have gone THF anyways. 

THF is easier and less feat/stat intensive than TWF but you'll be hard to beat the DPS you get from a pure 20 TWF smitting KoTC pally at endgame. If you go THF I suggest falc for the amount of crits you can get. 18 is what you need(iirc. have not played my pally in 6+months) but alot of builds I have seen dont aim for DM4. Look on the forums to find a good pally build and alter it for your tastes or ask question about it. Alot of the more knowlageable players hang out here. I am sure someone can suggest a good build.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:28am by woody »  

IP Logged

Bones400
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:40am
Print Post  
What Two Handed Weapons can be made into Holy Sword?

edit - nvm I found it.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:58am by Bones400 »  

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Bones400 wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:15am:
That's very generous, thank you. 

14 DM1, 16 DM2, 18 DM3, 20 DM4. if u want to go for DM4 only go if u have a +3 cha or +4 cha tome in you bank. it is incredibly expensive in terms of stat points. 17 cha = 13 build points. if you go for only DM3 you only really need 15 cha saving u 5 build points

more importantly, DM gives damage bonus but not attack. you still want to be able to land your hits reliably for DM to be effective. that 5 build points in str would have a better return

IP Logged

Bones400
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 11:10am
Print Post  
That's what I thought (about the DM requirements, Wiki only goes up to DMIII which caused my confusion).  That's why I took 16 CHA, aiming for DMIII with a +2 CHA tome.  I don't see anyway around a 12 CON TWF Pally that wants at least DMIII unless you have a +3 CHA tome banked or are confident you can pull one.  In that case, you could push CON up to 14 with a 15 CHA.

If I was to reroll as a THF, I would think a decent spread would be:

Str: 18
Dex: 8
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 8
Cha: 16

Thoughts?  Anyone want to talk me out of rerolling?  I'm thinking it would be a lot easier equipment-wise that way to get to 20 and TR into TWF with more build points.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Bones400 wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 11:10am:
Str: 18
Dex: 8
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 8
Cha: 16

I can't stand to see paladins spend that many points on charisma.  I don't really know where you'd put them, since you don't NEED any stats higher as a THF, but it's just overkill.  I guess you could always put them in con instead.

IP Logged

Bones400
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Are a few more hitpoints really worth more than DMIII?

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Bones400 wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 8:20pm:
Are a few more hitpoints really worth more than DMIII?   

Eh, probably not.  I'm just so used to seeing people gimp their strength for one extra on their saves that it's an automated response.  Can't you get DMIII without a 16 charisma, though?

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #18 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:10pm:
Eh, probably not.  I'm just so used to seeing people gimp their strength for one extra on their saves that it's an automated response.  Can't you get DMIII without a 16 charisma, though?

Needs 18 cha so you could take a +2 tome and the 2 cha pally encments if you dont use lvl ups. Or a +3 tome and one cha enchancement. But seeing as his highest lvl toon is 8 I dont think he is putting tomes into the build plan. Not a bad thing just prolly would not hurt to get one of his mains up to raiding lvl and bank some gear.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:03pm by woody »  

IP Logged

Feldspaar
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:58pm:
Needs 18 cha so you could take a +2 tome and the 2 cha pally encments if you dont use lvl ups. Or a +3 tome and one cha enchancement. But seeing as his highest lvl toon is 8 I dont think he is putting tomes into the build plan. Not a bad thing just prolly would not hurt to get one of his mains up to raiding lvl and bank some gear.

It's like TWF.  Base CHA only. 
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:25pm by Feldspaar »  

IP Logged

Bones400
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:10pm:

As far as I understand it, Feldspaar is right.  So unless I land a +3 or +4 tome, then no.

I have no problem planning +2 tomes into builds since I can get those from the store.  If I landed +3's or +4's I would just TR to utilize them allowing me to lower CHA in favor of other stats.

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #21 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Feldspaar wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:24pm:
It's like TWF.  Base CHA only. 

Thank you for the correction.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Bones400 wrote on Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:32pm:
As far as I understand it, Feldspaar is right.  So unless I land a +3 or +4 tome, then no.

I have no problem planning +2 tomes into builds since I can get those from the store.  If I landed +3's or +4's I would just TR to utilize them allowing me to lower CHA in favor of other stats.

If you play the character long enough for that to matter then you WILL get a +3 tome.  You have a chance at a +3 tome every 20th run on all major raids.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:38am
Print Post  
+3 cha tomes are the least of your worries. even for a casual gamer, +3 tomes are relatively abundant. if you ran reaver elite, hound hard, vod hard (less likely thou) +3 tomes can drop in raid, 20th of shroud very high chance, less chances for hound, reaver (easy to hit 20) or vod

and i have yet include tod and epics

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #24 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Aug 17th, 2010 at 12:38am:
+3 cha tomes are the least of your worries.  20th of shroud very high chance

the last two  20ths have had 1 +3 tome.. elusive buggers!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint