Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic GS for a Wiz - hp or sp first? (Read 8314 times)
Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

GS for a Wiz - hp or sp first?
Feb 4th, 2011 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Planning GS for a WF wizard, I figure that the two obvious choices are a hp item and a sp item, one of which should be ConcOp. The other choices aren't so obvious; so I seek advice.

Seems like it makes more sense to put the ConcOp on the hp item since you'll want to wear that all the time, whereas you may want to swap out the sp item once you've used up the sp.

Goggles are the obvious slot choice, since there's almost nothing I'd rather have there. The second isn't so easy; cloak's not so attractive since Mabar came along. I'm thinking about gloves, since I can't think of anything shy of Glacial set that's competing, and I'm not expecting to see that any time soon.

I'm sitting at 296hp at 17th level - the GS item, Argo favour and another three levels will eventually push that to 384 - but for now I don't feel too squishy. Running in groups I rarely take much damage at all, and when soloing I'd much rather have more sp. So I figure it makes sense to make the (relatively) cheaper triple-pos sp item first.

First item - triple pos SP (gloves?). Wiz VI, +150 sp, +3 Exc to Cha skills, 1xTrue Res clickie, Greater Disruption Guard (incidental, but the only Tier 3 bonus available so might as well). 3 Large Scales, 9 other larges.

Second item  - ConOp HP goggles. +45 hp, +3 Exc. Con Skills, +2 Exc. to Str Skills, Concordant Opposition. 5 Large Scales, 19 other larges.

Does that make sense? Would you do it differently? Should I stfu and gfm, n00b?

Boatman (Wiz20), Cannula (Pal20), Jacad (Clr15), buncha lowbie alts
Guild: Property Damage
Argonessen

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: GS for a Wiz - hp or sp first?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Most people do conc opp on the sp item, as to my knowledge.  It doesn't really matter though.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Saaluta
Vault Mistress

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Personally, I like sp/con op on the same item...I don't have a caster, but this works well for all my healers as they can pull on the dr items and let arrows/creatures hit them and build up sp as needed Smiley

Saal Smiley

Hello Darkness, my old friend!  It's nice to talk with you again!
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 11th, 2013 at 12:30pm:
They don't just settle for shooting themselves in the foot. Turbine uses a repeating crossbow.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Hmm. I couldn't really think of a stronger reason to put it on either of them than I'd probably want ConcOp and hp all the time, while I might want to swap sp out for something more useful after the first fight. Is there any particular reason to do it the other way around?

Is there a more popular alternative to the True Res clicky that I haven't thought of?

Argonessen

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
If you want a raise clicky, put it on a weapon.  that way, you don't ever have to think about cleansing it if you happen to put it on by accident.

fnord

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
That's a good point - but (CoOp items don't stack, do they?) that leaves open the question of what bonus to go for on the non-ConOp item. There's not much there that jumps out - I can cast most of the Tier 2 effects already, and the Tier 3's are mostly guards.

I do also have a Paladin that I should probably think about a Lit-II Falchion for, so it's hugely unlikely I'll finish both items off before my 20th completion anyway...

Argonessen

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
HP + Con Opp makes sense since you typically want both of those on all the time.

Having a swappable SP/UMD item/Raise Dead clicky is nice too.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 12:19pm:
Is there a more popular alternative to the True Res clicky that I haven't thought of?

It hasn't been True Resurrection for a long time. It's just Raise Dead.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Feb 4th, 2011 at 4:33pm:
HP + Con Opp makes sense since you typically want both of those on all the time.

Having a swappable SP/UMD item/Raise Dead clicky is nice too.

I figured it made more sense that way around, yeah.

Quote:
It hasn't been True Resurrection for a long time. It's just Raise Dead.

Uh-oh. Does this mean the perfectweb planner is out of date now? Should I be using a different one to plan?

Argonessen

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
I have Trip Air Spell point goggles and conc opp HP bracers.

The air guard is marginally more useful than the disruption guard, but more importantly, it only requires 2 LDS.

They were the first non weapon GS item I made, and I still love them to this day. Wink

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Hmm...that sounds like good advice. I've pulled exactly one Large Scale in about twenty Shroud runs.

The Haste clicky's a bit mediocre for a wizard, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Argonessen

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 2:11am
Print Post  
If you put Concordant Opposition on your spell point item, you could always do the obvious and put your Heavy Fort on your HP item.  You need fortification somewhere, so might as well get some HP with it.

Even the Stoneskin clicky isn't a complete waste since it can save you a few plat and a spell slot on Stoneskin.

Also, if you aren't wearing the Minos Legens at 20, you can eventually slot Toughness into an Epic armor.

fnord

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 4:20am
Print Post  
I guess I could, although I'm wearing Minos as much for the hitpoints as the fort, so the advantage isn't so huge. I'm not really planning on running lots of Epics; not this life anyway.

Earthguard is looking pretty tempting. Only two scales; the elemental clicky is nice, and earthgrab is more appealing than air guard. I'm normally hasted anyway, and normally have a Maiming Rocksplitter in my hand, so even I can murder stuff pretty quickly on autocrits.

Taking your point about puttng Raise Dead on a weapon, making a Healing Amp + Raise weapon isn't too expensive. At least, by the time I have the larges to make the other stuff, I'll probably have the mediums for that left over...

Argonessen

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
What's the purpose of ever taking off your SP item? So you forget to re-equip it whenever you shrine? Making an sp item swappable makes about as much sense as making your hp swappable. Well I've already lost 45 hp, may as well take it off amirite!

Make an SP item and just leave it on, there's no reason to swap it and you're gonna want to make a concordant opposition anyway. Just like HP there are so many things that regenerate spell points at this point in the game(ie bard songs, abbot gloves, torc, yugo pots, conc-op) that you may as well just leave it on all the time.

And your best bet is to make concordant opposition SP item on your goggles, there's nothing competing with it at endgame and you may as well. Additionally I would suggest going blindness/disease immunity on your first tier and finding another spot for your wizardry/archmagi item, the last thing you ever want is to be blind as a caster - believe me it sucks. However this is a personal preference as I farm out wiz king a lot when playing a caster, and if you feel that wizardry VI would suit your purposes better it is not a bad choice.

Also find some vets who've been playing this game for a while to ask advice. I'm not sure if people are trolling you right now, or are giving you wildly bad advice because they've never played this game.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2011 at 11:04pm by Soul »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:47am
Print Post  
Many vets swap out their sp item for other stuff soul.  I am not sure you know how to take full advantage of a caster..

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #15 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:59pm:
What's the purpose of ever taking off your SP item? So you forget to re-equip it whenever you shrine? Making an sp item swappable makes about as much sense as making your hp swappable. Well I've already lost 45 hp, may as well take it off amirite!

Well, no. I expect to spend most of my adventuring time on or near full hp and hp are easily regained, so a hp item is a never-remove. I expect to spend a very small portion of the adventure on full sp and don't regen unless I'm low, so the sp item ceases to be useful as soon as I've done a bit of casting.

Quote:
Additionally I would suggest going blindness/disease immunity on your first tier and finding another spot for your wizardry/archmagi item, the last thing you ever want is to be blind as a caster - believe me it sucks.

Oddly enough, seventeen levels into a caster I'm aware that being blinded is a bad idea and own a blindness immunity item... But, given a stack of Remove Blindness pots, the need for a perm blindness immunity item is pretty situational. I think I'm happy for that to share the same slot as my SP item.

A better argument to go Blindness Immunity on the first tier might be that one day I'll probably have an Archmagi item, which won't stack with Wiz VI...

Quote:
Also find some vets who've been playing this game for a while to ask advice.

Well, what did you think I was doing by posting here?

Quote:
I'm not sure if people are trolling you right now, or are giving you wildly bad advice because they've never played this game.

You think? I haven't seen anything in the thread that I'd consider wildly bad advice. Maybe I'm an idiot, though. Which advice above would you say was wildly bad?

Argonessen

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Feb 5th, 2011 at 4:20am:
I guess I could, although I'm wearing Minos as much for the hitpoints as the fort, so the advantage isn't so huge. I'm not really planning on running lots of Epics; not this life anyway.

Earthguard is looking pretty tempting. Only two scales; the elemental clicky is nice, and earthgrab is more appealing than air guard. I'm normally hasted anyway, and normally have a Maiming Rocksplitter in my hand, so even I can murder stuff pretty quickly on autocrits.

Taking your point about puttng Raise Dead on a weapon, making a Healing Amp + Raise weapon isn't too expensive. At least, by the time I have the larges to make the other stuff, I'll probably have the mediums for that left over...

The big reason you go air or positive is for the +cha skills bonus. Trip air or pos gives you +6 cha skills, which helps greatly with umd.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:47am:
Many vets swap out their sp item for other stuff soul.  I am not sure you know how to take full advantage of a caster..

People swap out their SP item ie their Power item or the Archmagi item, there is no foreseeable reason to ever swap out your concordant op item ie your shroud SP item.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:33pm:
People swap out their SP item ie their Power item or the Archmagi item, there is no foreseeable reason to ever swap out your concordant op item ie your shroud SP item.

Which is why I was suggesting putting ConOp on the HP item. There doesn't seem to be any actual reason to put ConOp on the SP item.

Rastelin wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 2:01pm:
The big reason you go air or positive is for the +cha skills bonus. Trip air or pos gives you +6 cha skills, which helps greatly with umd.

Now, that is a good point.

Argonessen

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2011 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:33pm:

In which case the discussion was conc opp on hp or sp... if he is removing the sp item... common sense leads to putting it on the hp item...  I figured the op was smart enough to make the connection, and I was right!  Now if only the inane could...

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #20 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Feb 6th, 2011 at 3:36pm:
Which is why I was suggesting putting ConOp on the HP item. There doesn't seem to be any actual reason to put ConOp on the SP item.

Now, that is a good point.

I agree with this in principle.  The only reason why I put ConOpp on my SP item is that I couldn't put Heavy Fort on it and I didn't want to spend a slot on Heavy Fort AND a spot on a greensteel HP item.

I ended up with +5 Cha skills, +150 SP and ConOpp on my SP item (and Blindness Ward because I didn't really see anything better to put on the first tier) and +45 HP +Heavy Fort on my HP item.

That gets me most of the good stuff from a Pos/Pos/Pos SP item and the ConOpp from the HP item while still bundling in the Heavy Fort to save slots.

I do think that it's possible to do more with Shroud items than I did, but I do think that I packed a good amount of fun into just two item slots.

fnord

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #21 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I figure I'll want to hang onto Minos Legens for Toughness. There aren't any other items granting Toughness that I can expect to see any time soon, and it's an easy 20hp on a squishy toon. So I probably won't want to put Heavy Fort on GS.

I'm also a bit unclear on how Exceptional bonuses stack. Being originally a PnP player, I tend to assume that the golden rule is that bonuses of the same type do not stack, unless they're Dodge bonuses. But Exceptionals stack with other Exceptionals so long as the numbers are different?!?

Argonessen

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #22 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:59am:
Exceptionals stack with other Exceptionals so long as the numbers are different?!?

Yes

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #23 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Merci.

Argonessen

IP Logged

Jenovaa_Project
Dragon Raider

Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2011 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Once upon a time I had a Concord Op SP goggles and a 45hp Bracers item made, but over the years I have gone away from that and now just use 1 GS itme which is a Concord OP Hp item.  I don't use an SP item which you might think is bad for a caster but its how I have found to optimize your build when you end up filling your item slots with epics and run out of room for GS items.  If you manage your sp Pool youll be fine anyway.  Heres the gear that I use endgame:

Helm: Epic mask of Tragedy (Wizardy VI)
Armor: Epic robes of the diabolist (Heavy Fort/ +6Str)
Necklace: Torc of Prince Reiyum II (almost Epic)
Trinket: Epic Dragons eye (Blindness Immunity)
Bracers: Demonic Consort Bracers (working on making epic)
Cloak: Epic Envenomed Cloak (toughness)
Belt: Eerie Belt
Boots: Epic Boots of Corrosion (+2 good luck)
Ring: Sanuras Ring
Ring: Epic Shamans Band (Spell Pen item)
Goggles: Concord Op Hp Greensteel goggles
Gloves: Epic Bramble Casters (Greater False Life)

Jen - Revenants: Khyber

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint