Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) FvS Soul Survivor (Read 36092 times)
Gawna
Ex Member

FvS Soul Survivor
Sep 16th, 2011 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I just TR'd my pally, Gawnaderp, last night into a WF FvS.  What is the best way to go on the FvS PrEs?  I've looked at sirgog's Soul Survivor build, but it looks it was upgraded for gear and not since PrE's came out.  I've never played a Favored Soul before and so I'm totally unfamiliar with what they do.  Any help would be much appreciated!

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Re: FvS Soul Survivor
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I just TR'd my pally, Gawnaderp, last night into a WF FvS.  What is the best way to go on the FvS PrEs?  I've looked at sirgog's Soul Survivor build, but it looks it was upgraded for gear and not since PrE's came out.  I've never played a Favored Soul before and so I'm totally unfamiliar with what they do.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Stainer, has two why not get his advice?

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 12:54pm:

He dies alot.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Woodburning.

All str, dump wis. Enough cha to cast. I modified the soul survivor build. I took the healing line to 4 and smiting to 3. I got the pre. Pretty sure I took some of the greatsword enhancements too. It is pretty good at soloing and can hjeal a raid. I know people can tank crap with their WF FvS, but I am not sure mine can.

Barrock is a human evoker build, so I don't think anything I did there would be helpful.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Jaxx wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 1:45pm:
He dies alot.

Well yes. That is what I am good at.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Jaxx wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 1:45pm:
He dies alot.

It's about time.  I laid that straight line out there on a plate.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 1:52pm:
It's about time.  I laid that straight line out there on a plate.

Def a weak BP fastball that one was!

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 12:54pm:

I said soul survivor, not soul stone.

P.S. That was actually really helpful, Stainer, thanks!
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011 at 3:30pm by »  

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Max WIS, Enough CHA to cast, then rest CON.... oh, you wanted to make the OTHER kind of FvS?

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I said soul survivor, not soul stone.

P.S. That was actually really helpful, Stainer, thanks!

Yer welcome. See, I can do other things. You don't have to whore me out to earn my keep.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 3:32pm:
Yer welcome. See, I can do other things. You don't have to whore me out to earn my keep.

I didn't read the Stainer manual prior to use, so I didn't know all your capabilities.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Only take the first tier of the pre, the second tier isn't that great for a melee soul. Hell if you ask me the second tier isn't even that great for a caster soul.

Honestly I'm thinking about dumping the pre all together though. I'm not that impressed for a melee fvs. But if you want to spend the points on it go ahead. The 20% more damage with spells is nice and the light guard is nice but really divine punishment has been nerfed to uselessness and bb always sucks without some sorta DC anyway. I guess with the new debuff to fortification that it's pretty fucking amazing with the new raid bosses, but seeing as how I don't raid much anymore I don't know how useful it is.

I dunno, ignore me. It's almost 5am and I'm rambley.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 4:43am
Print Post  
oh yeah on second thought second tier blows fucking nuts for a melee soul, go with first tier it's the bees knees for a melee soul with the new bosses.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
If you're going Melee FvS, dump ALL stats except Str and Con.

If you have a +2 Cha tome, you will be able to reach a 19 Cha at 20th lvel assuming you stay pure.

Starting CHA = 6
Item                6
Enhancements  3
Tome               2
Capstone          2

Total               19

This will allow you to cast 9th level spells.

If you want to be a nuker or some other type of FvS, you should put some points in WIS to boost your Save DCs.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2012 at 11:25am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 5:38pm:
If you're going Melee FvS, dump ALL stats except Str and Con.

If you have a +2 Con tome, you will be able to reach a 19 Cha at 20th lvel assuming you stay pure.

Starting CHA = 6
Item                6
Enhancements  3
Tome               2
Capstone          2

Total               19

This will allow you to cast 9th level spells.

If you want to be a nuker or some other type of FvS, you should put some points in WIS to boost your Save DCs.

And then what happens when you're in a quest with disjunction? That's not very smart. Minimum of 12 investment in charisma imo.

A smart stat distribution in my opinion would be something like

if you're a 32 point build or

if you're a 34 point build like I suspect she is. This way you if you pick up epic envenomed cloak it puts you at an even number. Also the small investment in charisma is nice because you can get a slight higher UMD and teleport and random UMD-y shit, and this is with only a 20 hp investment. You won't notice the hit on your HP at all, in my opinion. I NEVER die when I play my warforged favored soul, and I never miss the 20 hp I sacrificed for it either.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 4:42am:
Honestly I'm thinking about dumping the pre all together though. I'm not that impressed for a melee fvs. But if you want to spend the points on it go ahead. The 20% more damage with spells is nice and the light guard is nice but really divine punishment has been nerfed to uselessness

What did I miss?

Quote:
and bb always sucks without some sorta DC anyway.

It's still the fastest way to clear big volumes of trash - even if some of the trash has Evasion, you can still the whole group out faster with a BB than with any other method with the half-damage and then clean up on the Evasion types afterwards.  My BB sucks against bosses, but DP works just fine on them so far (until whatever nerf you're talking about takes place).

I love my Wis dumped FvS.  It's pretty similar to Soul Survivor, but not so much with the threat tanking.  It's not as much DPS against individual trash mobs as my Fighter, obviously, but I can take down a big group faster because of BB and I'm pretty damned close to my Fighter against bosses because of DP.

fnord

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 6:02pm:
And then what happens when you're in a quest with disjunction? That's not very smart. Minimum of 12 investment in charisma imo.

There's what, maybe ONE quest where you can get disjuncted?  Roll Eyes

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 12:12am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 10:25pm:
What did I miss?

It's still the fastest way to clear big volumes of trash - even if some of the trash has Evasion, you can still the whole group out faster with a BB than with any other method with the half-damage and then clean up on the Evasion types afterwards.  My BB sucks against bosses, but DP works just fine on them so far (until whatever nerf you're talking about takes place).

I love my Wis dumped FvS.  It's pretty similar to Soul Survivor, but not so much with the threat tanking.  It's not as much DPS against individual trash mobs as my Fighter, obviously, but I can take down a big group faster because of BB and I'm pretty damned close to my Fighter against bosses because of DP.

Sure it's great in select situations, yeah. But how often are you are gonna cut things around for the melees to sing at and make you hate them? At least with a high DC things die sorta fast. I use bb a lot, don't get me wrong. It's just terrible in party play. Since I group often (like almost always) I usually don't want to piss everyone off. Either way I still think only the first tier of the pre is really worth the AP cost for a wf fvs, imo.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 12:18am by Soul »  

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Sep 17th, 2011 at 11:35pm:
There's what, maybe ONE quest where you can get disjuncted?  Roll Eyes

So? I use to run epic dq1 once a day, and I'm so fucking glad I never got disjuncted and couldn't cast anything. You never know what sort of content you're gonna be running so you should be prepared. You also don't know what sort content is going to be released. And I'm pretty sure getting disjuncted in abbot sucks balls as well. I just don't see how 40hp is worth more than the boost to intimidate, umd, and preventing disjunction.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Four off the top of my head.

Wiz king, Abbot, adq 1, and the one IQ flag quest.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 12:12am:
Sure it's great in select situations, yeah. But how often are you are gonna cut things around for the melees to sing at and make you hate them?

Every time I solo.  Smiley

Quote:
At least with a high DC things die sorta fast. I use bb a lot, don't get me wrong. It's just terrible in party play. Since I group often (like almost always) I usually don't want to piss everyone off. Either way I still think only the first tier of the pre is really worth the AP cost for a wf fvs, imo.

I do think that having a high DC would be nice.  I'd prefer to have a high DC.  But a high DC just ain't gonna happen on a first life on a FvS.  I can invest heavily in DC and still only come away with "not horrible" as the best DC that I can achieve.

I do agree that the second tier of the PrE is a heavy investment for a fairly modest return, but I do think it's worth taking for at least a while because it's a neat toy.  Honestly, I like the flashlight power of my laser fairy even more than I like the small boost in DPS.  I have trouble seeing the floor on the way to VoD and in other similar places, so I'm a big fan.

I'll drop the second tier of the PrE at some point, but it's actually very handy to me currently because I happen to run a lot of quests where that is useful recently.  I don't think it's worth taking long term, though.  Mostly, I just wanted to point out that absolutely horrible DC isn't significantly worse than DCs between "pretty bad" and "mediocre" - and even with really good gear, your DCs are still going to be between "pretty bad" and "mediocre" for a most (if not all) of the time you spend on your first life.

I was impressed with the DC that Epoch was able to produce on his "end build" FvS, but that required a bunch of past lives that each contributed to DC.

If this character isn't going to be your primary character that you're going to invest an extraordinary amount of time into, then dumping Wisdom makes a lot of sense to me.  I would certainly do it for a first life.  It was in a strange place, so I can't find it to link right now, but I don't see any way to get a reasonable DC on a first life at least.  I enjoy my FvS enough that I might eventually go for Epoch's build, but that would mean not having a FvS for several lives and I'm not sure that I want to not have a healer available to swap to if a group needs one.

fnord

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Sep 18th, 2011 at 10:26am:
Every time I solo.  Smiley

I do think that having a high DC would be nice.  I'd prefer to have a high DC.  But a high DC just ain't gonna happen on a first life on a FvS.  I can invest heavily in DC and still only come away with "not horrible" as the best DC that I can achieve.

I do agree that the second tier of the PrE is a heavy investment for a fairly modest return, but I do think it's worth taking for at least a while because it's a neat toy.  Honestly, I like the flashlight power of my laser fairy even more than I like the small boost in DPS.  I have trouble seeing the floor on the way to VoD and in other similar places, so I'm a big fan.

I'll drop the second tier of the PrE at some point, but it's actually very handy to me currently because I happen to run a lot of quests where that is useful recently.  I don't think it's worth taking long term, though.  Mostly, I just wanted to point out that absolutely horrible DC isn't significantly worse than DCs between "pretty bad" and "mediocre" - and even with really good gear, your DCs are still going to be between "pretty bad" and "mediocre" for a most (if not all) of the time you spend on your first life.

I was impressed with the DC that Epoch was able to produce on his "end build" FvS, but that required a bunch of past lives that each contributed to DC.

If this character isn't going to be your primary character that you're going to invest an extraordinary amount of time into, then dumping Wisdom makes a lot of sense to me.  I would certainly do it for a first life.  It was in a strange place, so I can't find it to link right now, but I don't see any way to get a reasonable DC on a first life at least.  I enjoy my FvS enough that I might eventually go for Epoch's build, but that would mean not having a FvS for several lives and I'm not sure that I want to not have a healer available to swap to if a group needs one.

Make a cleric

IP Logged

Chris79
Stormreaver Piker

Wanna a lollipop?

Reply #22 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Couldn't u just carry charisma pots in case u got disjuncted? Or does that not work? Sure I read somewhere someone suggested it in the lord of blades build

-----------------------------------------------
Pyrric, Drilltex, Drilltor, Drillsworn - Khyber

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #23 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 1:44am
Print Post  
Quote:

I built the wife one somewhat based on Cully's FVS build.  She's been fairly happy with it, and it's still one of her favorite characters.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=211596

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #24 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Chris79 wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 1:34am:
Couldn't u just carry charisma pots in case u got disjuncted? Or does that not work? Sure I read somewhere someone suggested it in the lord of blades build

It'll work.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint