Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Heard a rumor about the exploits... (Read 19589 times)
whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Heard a rumor about the exploits...
Nov 15th, 2011 at 1:11am
Print Post  
Some people are saying that Turbine will hand out 2 week bans to those that duped the chests, and during that time they will run a week of +25% XP and +2 loot.

Could be BS, but heard it from a person that has had good info in the past.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Re: Heard a rumor about the exploits...
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:30am
Print Post  
That is a really cool idea.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Not a bad idea.  However, I think most of the chest dupers will be welcoming the free time to go play Skyrim/Old Republic/Other game that they’ve been putting off.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Why don't they just perma-ban?  It's not like they haven't before.

IP Logged

Reminiscence
Korthos Resident

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:41am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:34am:
Not a bad idea.  However, I think most of the chest dupers will be welcoming the free time to go play Skyrim/Old Republic/Other game that they’ve been putting off.

lol why would they be playing ddo over skyrim in the first place?

Huh

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:44am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:38am:
Why don't they just perma-ban?  It's not like they haven't before. 

Word is that Turbine didn't know about it for quite a while, and they don't want to ban 800+ accounts permanently. Too much of a hit on their bottom line.

They've seldom permabanned more than 3 or 4 people at a time, and especially since the Mabar debacle they hesitate more with the hammer.

Last big permabannings were the SOS window-farmers, and that nearly killed raiding and high level play on the server (think it was Ghallandra but probably wrong) for a good month.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Reminiscence wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:41am:

Huh

Laziness,
Frugality (translation: Cheapskate)

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 3:24am
Print Post  
whothefuckami wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:44am:
Word is that Turbine didn't know about it for quite a while, and they don't want to ban 800+ accounts permanently. Too much of a hit on their bottom line.
It wouldn't hurt their bottom lines at all, it would help.  Half of the people who'd be perma-banned are too addicted to quit and would just end up buying whole new accounts.  The other half would leave, and that would reduce server load. 

Quote:
They've seldom permabanned more than 3 or 4 people at a time, and especially since the Mabar debacle they hesitate more with the hammer.

Someone told me a story that a long, long time ago, there was a widespread dupe hack/exploit that resulted in a mass of perma-bans.  Of course I wasn't around then, so I don't know if that's accurate.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 3:41am
Print Post  
I don't remember how many bans resulted from the flag days, and that was pretty widespread.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Deathdefy
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 3:58am
Print Post  
I certainly hope you're right. 

Probably still will have been worth it for them though; the loot boxes from CL20 challenges have been nerfed down to being only level 16 drops, so you can't even farm for +3 unbound tomes through the challenges legitimately anymore.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 4:22am
Print Post  
Oooh, I would log back in and farm xp for a 25% bonus.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

NaturalHazard
VoD Slasher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 5:02am
Print Post  
whothefuckami wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:44am:

Last big permabannings were the SOS window-farmers, and that nearly killed raiding and high level play on the server (think it was Ghallandra but probably wrong) for a good month.

I magine if they took some of their *ill* gotten gains? lol, that would be kinda funny,some might be thinking like this "I brought tons of LDS, reds, greensteel blanks, epic scrolls of the ah and got all my alts to the plat cap, I don't give a rats ass if they bann me for 2 weeks or a month it was worth it, I can have a break from the game adn come back and enjoy my loot. 2 weeks pass, they log in, fuck!!! all my plats gone!!! WTF!!!!! Some of my LDS, REDS and SCROLLS are missing!!!!!! RAGE!!!!!

Then turbine blames it on some bug with using the exploit it would be priceless. And I think it would be more effective in stoping people exploiting stuff like this in the future. Oh i might get banned for a few days or weeks? meh... that doesnt scare me.......... but risk losing my shinies? ZOMG!!!!!!! Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry. It would also lead a lot of people who exploited  to rage quit though lolz.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 5:56am
Print Post  
some people didn't know about it it seems :

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=350676

And they whine because they lost their chests stored in bank .

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

BurningDownTheHouse
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 5:56am:
some people didn't know about it it seems :

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=350676

And they whine because they lost their chests stored in bank .

Yes I missed that one.
And no, I wasn't whining.
I don't need Tubine charity to get crappy loot, I can farm it on my own.

And in general, you Flav, can kiss my shiny, white, hairy ass.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 7:59am
Print Post  
That's a pretty cool idea and basically agrees with what I've been saying - punishing people that exploit is counterproductive, however give people that didn't exploit a week of +50% xp and you'll be forever rid of exploiters :p (not the ranger build  Cheesy)

But that probably means it'll never happen lolz

IP Logged

mystafyi
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 8:13am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 3:24am:
It wouldn't hurt their bottom lines at all, it would help.  Half of the people who'd be perma-banned are too addicted to quit and would just end up buying whole new accounts.  The other half would leave, and that would reduce server load. 

Perma banning even 500 people would really hurt turbines bottom line. if these folks were vip they could easily get charges reversed on their credit cards. In fact if they recently bought turbine points this too could be reversed.

Dont forget with so many games, either just released, or out in the near future, there would be little reason to come back to an ancient game that has lag issues with a paltry 10,000 concurrent users online.

as so many folks liked to point out in the past. this is a co-op game, not pvp. the gear/plat another player has does not effect you.

the fact is just like in real life, cheaters win more, the nice guy finishes last, and crime does pay.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2011 at 8:14am by mystafyi »  

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #16 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 8:25am
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 7:59am:
That's a pretty cool idea and basically agrees with what I've been saying - punishing people that exploit is counterproductive, however give people that didn't exploit a week of +50% xp and you'll be forever rid of exploiters :p (not the ranger build  Cheesy)

LOL, it doesn't even remotely compare. 

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #17 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Deathdefy wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 3:58am:
I certainly hope you're right. 

Probably still will have been worth it for them though; the loot boxes from CL20 challenges have been nerfed down to being only level 16 drops, so you can't even farm for +3 unbound tomes through the challenges legitimately anymore.

This is the irritating part.

Who gives a flying fuck if people exploit the mechanic?  It's always going to happen as there are many who play this game with the intent to find them.  It will continue because put simply, Turbine has no balls. 

Someone exploits a mechanic and gets a butt ton of high end tomes/plat/hearts/whatever else.  They get a ban of whatever length.  They come back and alll that shit they got is still there waiting to be used.  That's the actual problem.  And in my time playing I've come to realize that Turbine won't take the profits of exploiting away because they are afraid of losing customers.  The reward for exploiting far outweighs the consequences.  It's that simple...

So what I am saying is why get bent about the exploits?  As I see it there isn't a point in it.  Now getting bent due to having opportunities for getting some of the same rewards legitimately nerfed - Now you're talking!
Wink

And before you wonder, no.  I haven't even done any of the challenges yet.  I actually wonder if it will be even maginally worthwhile after they nerfed the chests to high hell.  It's punitive fucking punishment that wasn't deserved for most people that play this game.  And that is what I find to be irritating.

IP Logged

Mastertool
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 9:24am
Print Post  
How is it a penalty to have a bonus over the ban time?  So, the people that got a temp ban for exploiting have to log onto one of their other accounts for two weeks and get a bonus, for something they did wrong?

Only way to fix this is hand out ban, take ill gotten gains.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #19 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Only way to fix this is give me ill gotten gains

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #20 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Reminiscence wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:41am:

Huh

Next time, put more LDS and FRDS on the AH over the weekend please. There weren't enough to buy Sad

Also, Skyrim rocks, but I needed a break from playing all afternoon.

IP Logged

arkohighstar
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 10:49am
Print Post  
this reminds me of a pm conversation I had with Eladrin some years back about the bank exploit that allowed people to take drop on quest exit items out of quests.

I had reported as an exploit and even had a shroud axe that had dropped to the ground and showed a GM. Basically the only way to keep these items was to put it in the bank when you logged out otherwise it would drop to the ground. And the main reason I reported it was because people were throwing them up on the auction house and newbs were grabbing them up and then losing them when they logged out.
Anyway I was describing to Eladrin how it was done and he was angry that people were taking advantage of others, and obviously he has no say in banning etc, and quiet frankly I think the actual exploit didn't upset so much as what people were doing with the auction.

So he was going to see if he could make the axes in people banks become

-non bankable
-non droppable
-non sellable
-non auctionable
-weigh 100000000pds

that way if someone who was banking them pulled it out of the bank they would be stuck with perm encumbrance.
He got shot down though.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:33am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 8:13am:
as so many folks liked to point out in the past. this is a co-op game, not pvp. the gear/plat another player has does not effect you.

The issue is that it can though.  All it takes is more difficult content (we're starting to get this) combined with a higher bar for gear (not sure this exploit did a lot to raise the bar - +3 tomes being more available to exploiters is really it as far as gear goes - but some exploits certainly could).  Put those two things together and you get situations of 'Must have all raid gear/+3 tomes to join this Shroud' groups becoming ubiquitous.  That's a situation where enough people getting high levels of gear effect the play of those that don't have the gear.

the fact is just like in real life, cheaters win more, the nice guy finishes last, and crime does pay.

Cheaters win more and crime does pay until the criminals get caught and locked up.  The nice guy though does finish last though.  Luckily the nice guy is usually okay with that. Smiley

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #23 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:34am
Print Post  
It's funny.  Eladrin beingQuote:
quiet frankly I think the actual exploit didn't upset so much as what people were doing with the auction.

This doesn't surprise me in the least.  Just look at the time line...this exploit was reported on Lam but Turbine goes live without fixing it.  I imagine the thought process went something along the lines of what harm can it do if players dupe a few chests.  It'll be slow and tedious anyway.  Update goes live.  The players in the know test to see if it's fixed.  It's not.  Players figure out Level 25 challenges drop chests that can spawn unbound +3 tomes and immediately start clicking away.  People figure out combining this bug with the good old bank glitch makes it run at super speed. Initial dupers go, HOLY SHIT and start telling friends and guildies that you can get between 2 and 5 +3 tomes an hour and plat cap at least twice.  This group starts to plat cap across their accounts so they beginning emptying the AH just to make more space to dupe.  Word spreads.  By Friday, it's fairly well known.  By Sunday, thousands are involved the AH is empty and people are buying LDS for 1.5 million just because Plat is worthless and they are making it back in minutes.  Even people who don't know about the bug know something is up because of the rampant inflation.  Just like Dowsing Rods at no point was any emergency fix or shutdown put in place.  It was left there and reached a point where even people who normal don't get involved in exploits felt they had no choice but to do it because the economy would be so fucked afterwards that they wouldn't be able to function normally otherwise.  I firmly believe if this was just plat and items and not +3 tomes the new DDO Store darling we wouldn't have even seen the hotfix on Monday they would have waited till Wednesday or Thursday.

This isn't the first or even the third time something like this has happened yet there are no steps in place to cut off an issue of this nature.  The tools that are available to address real time game management issues are pathetic at best.

Every time these issues occur it's those who chose not to play who end up being punished.

This was so f'n easy.  I put it in my bank, I click it, I get items and I keep the chest, Eureaka!  It's like finding 100 bucks in the street.  How does this shit slip through?  This one I will lay on QA because this was something that should have been in the test plan.

D&D is a game for exploiters.   Essentially, it about exploiting flaws in the GM campaign to find creative ways to master encounters.  It's out-thinking the GM.  How can anyone be shocked when players do find that hole or that trick to beat the system?  Turbine doesn't even make it hard to out-think them anymore.  E-Chrono was abandonable for almost a year so you could bypass the raid timer an issue that has cropped up numerous times in the past.  If players test for it every time a raid is released why isn't Turbine testing for it?

It's the same shit different day.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:51am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Perma banning even 500 people would really hurt turbines bottom line. if these folks were vip they could easily get charges reversed on their credit cards. In fact if they recently bought turbine points this too could be reversed.

I disagree.  Directly I think the lost VIP revenue would be made up entirely from poeple who would simply buy whole new accounts. 

Indirectly, having people complaining about exploits on the ddo forums AND people getting away with it - is a sure way to drive away new customers.  This game is already incredibly hard for new players to get into.  It's a turbine image problem. 

Of course, neither of us can prove it one way or the other, so I'll guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Quote:

You don't see a contradiction between these two statements?  "Winning" is a universal goal.  If cheaters win and nice guys finish last, then obviously whether others cheated or not does affect you. 
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:36am by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint