Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Heard a rumor about the exploits... (Read 19644 times)
scraap
Ex Member

Re: Heard a rumor about the exploits...
Reply #25 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:37am
Print Post  
And nothing of value was lost.

IP Logged

arkohighstar
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:34am:
It's funny.  Eladrin being

This doesn't surprise me in the least.  Just look at the time line...this exploit was reported on Lam but Turbine goes live without fixing it.  I imagine the thought process went something along the lines of what harm can it do if players dupe a few chests.  It'll be slow and tedious anyway.  Update goes live.  The players in the know test to see if it's fixed.  It's not.  Players figure out Level 25 quests drop chests that can spawn unbound tomes and immediately start clicking away.  People figure out combining this bug with the good old bank glitch makes it run at super speed. As the initial dupers, start to plat cap they beginning emptying the AH.  Word spreads.  By Friday, it's fairly well known.  By Sunday, thousands are involved the AH is empty and people are buying LDS for 1.5 million just because Plat is worthless and they are making it back in minutes.  Even people who don't know about the bug know something is up because of the rampant inflation.  Just like Dowsing Rods at no point was any emergency fix or shutdown put in place.  It was left there and reached a point where even people who normal don't get involved in exploits felt they had no choice but to do it because the economy would be so fucked afterwards that they wouldn't be able to function normal otherwise.  I firmly believe if this was just plat and items and not +3 tomes the new DDO Store darling we wouldn't have even seen the hotfix on Monday.

I may have miscontrued what I meant by his being upset. Yes he did not like there was an exploit and wanted to get it fixed, but like any mmo dev he understood that some mmo players will exploit whenever possible and that there is nothing he can do about that except plug the holes as fast as he can. What drew his ire was that some players were using this exploit to take advantage of other players.

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Quote:
this reminds me of a pm conversation I had with Eladrin some years back about the bank exploit that allowed people to take drop on quest exit items out of quests.

I had reported as an exploit and even had a shroud axe that had dropped to the ground and showed a GM. Basically the only way to keep these items was to put it in the bank when you logged out otherwise it would drop to the ground. And the main reason I reported it was because people were throwing them up on the auction house and newbs were grabbing them up and then losing them when they logged out.
Anyway I was describing to Eladrin how it was done and he was angry that people were taking advantage of others, and obviously he has no say in banning etc, and quiet frankly I think the actual exploit didn't upset so much as what people were doing with the auction.

So he was going to see if he could make the axes in people banks become

-non bankable
-non droppable
-non sellable
-non auctionable
-weigh 100000000pds

that way if someone who was banking them pulled it out of the bank they would be stuck with perm encumbrance.
He got shot down though.

That would have been funny shit

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #28 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:51am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:36am:
This game is already incredibly hard for new players to get into.

I think you are wrong. I came in with F2P. Played for a bit, went premium and then went VIP. It took me 4 or 5 months to cap my first character. I am a pretty average DDO player. I have 14 characters on my account. 1 is a mule, 2 are 1st life characters that I play occasionally, the rest are capped, or are in some stage of TR. I know people are getting all freaked over Epic this or that, or +3 tome this or that, but lets be honest, look at my 1st life Barb http://my.ddo.com/character/khyber/dreadler/ This character hasn't eaten a +2 or +3 con tome. The only epic he has is the Epic Cav plate, which isn't slotted with anything. I haven't got around to slotting +2 str on the encrusted ring, though I do have the ravager set with +2 str. This character does just fine in every end of the game. Is it the best Barb ever!?!??? No. It gets the job done though.

+3 tomes are nice. They aren't going to make you a good player.

Being plat capped is nice. It isn't going to make you a good player. I plat capped 2 or 3 characters selling drowsing rods, and was quickly broke again and I have no idea what I spent the money on.

The only thing that will make you a good player, is playing the game. These tomes don't really matter.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #29 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:53am
Print Post  
I disagree.  Directly I think the lost VIP revenue would be made up entirely from poeple who would simply buy whole new accounts. 

With everything else releasing in the next few months, not a chance in hell.

Indirectly, having people complaining about exploits on the ddo forums AND people getting away with it - is a sure way to drive away new customers.  This game is already incredibly hard for new players to get into.  It's a turbine image problem. 

If everything is censored who will see it.  It'll be ancient history and smothered by the MoD's in less than a week.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #30 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:34am:
Just look at the time line...this exploit was reported on Lam but Turbine goes live without fixing it. 

Is this part true?

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #31 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:55am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:51am:
The only thing that will make you a good player, is playing the game. These tomes don't really matter.

This is true in many ways.  If you actually start playing with builds, you see what a minimal impact they have on many builds.  They will be extremely useful as currency though.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #32 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:54am:
Is this part true?

I've heard it mentioned but I don't have incontrovertible evidence especially considering how threads on the topic tend to disappear.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:06pm by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #33 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:03pm
Print Post  

Stainer?

It's true though, and that's why I didn't really care about the exploit.  I logged in and short-manned a hard Coal Chamber instead, because I'd rather play the game than waste my time jacking up some electrons for the e-peen contest. 

AH fucked for the next 3 months?  Pfft, who cares?  I've only bought like 5 ingredients off the AH in the last two years.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #34 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Capped plat is only useful for consumables to me. Hjeal scrolls and hjaste pots. And other sundry scrolls my blue bars use.

IP Logged

Jalora
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:59am:
I've heard it mentioned but I don't have incontrovertible evidence especially considering how threads on the topic tend to disappear.

I'm not sure if it wasn't the giant barbdouche himself who mentioned this on Lam.

IP Logged

Balthazar
Puppy Farmer

Time is of the essence!

Reply #36 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Reminiscence wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:41am:
lol why would they be playing ddo over skyrim in the first place?

Huh

Because if its anything like all the other Elder Scrolls games its a pile of shit.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.

IP Logged

Ulurjah
Korthos Resident

Troll Extroidanaire!

Reply #37 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Balthazar wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:33pm:
Because if its anything like all the other Elder Scrolls games its a pile of shit.

This. Steaming.

You know that point in your life when you realize that the house you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? That idea of home is gone. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss that same imaginary place.
IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:53am:
If everything is censored who will see it.  It'll be ancient history and smothered by the MoD's in less than a week.

You don't have to know specifics to know that the players in this game are jaded about turbine.  If I were just starting and I heard some vet ranting about censorship, rampant bugs (and turbine's inability to fix them or play test them) and exploits (and people getting away with them), as a new player I would think twice about sticking around.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #39 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:43pm:
You don't have to know specifics to know that the players in this game are jaded about turbine.  If I were just starting and I heard some vet ranting about censorship, rampant bugs (and turbine's inability to fix them or play test them) and exploits (and people getting away with them), as a new player I would think twice about sticking around. 

Pick any MMO with history and check their forums...jaded and complaining are pretty much the norm.

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #40 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:43pm:

This hasn't changed for a long time. If anything it is a little better now. When I started I had to read posts about how I (F2P) was ruining the game with our noobishness. At least I knew what an overflow bag was.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #41 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:46pm:
This hasn't changed for a long time. If anything it is a little better now. When I started I had to read posts about how I (F2P) was ruining the game with our noobishness. At least I knew what an overflow bag was.

You're still a freetard noob.  Tongue

Quote:

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
This character does just fine in every end of the game. Is it the best Barb ever!?!??? No. It gets the job done though.

I'd hardly call your barb undergeared.  Three GS on myddo alone (I'm sure you have min II as well?), bloodstone, encrusted, oremi's, madstone and levik's - that's all well above average. 

I think people continually underestimate the importance of gear.  I have 2-3 toons that are very well to decently geared, and a bunch of toons that have shit (mostly used for farming shroud) - to me, it seems like the difference is enormous. 

And of course, if gear weren't really important, why would people farm/exploit for resources in the first place other than to gear themselves up?

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #43 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:47pm:
You're still a freetard noob.  Tongue

Suck it! Tongue

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #44 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:53pm:
Suck it! Tongue

If only I could find it.

Quote:

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:46pm:
At least I knew what an overflow bag was.

Um, I know what an overflow bag is.

OMG did you know that even when all the spots in your bag fill up, there are invisible spots that STILL FILL???  You don't have to sell 4 dowsing rods at a time!  WHO KNEW?!?!?!

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #46 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
OMG did you know that even when all the spots in your bag fill up, there are invisible spots that STILL FILL???  You don't have to sell 4 dowsing rods at a time!  WHO KNEW?!?!?!

That was your phonr incident.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

arkohighstar
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Um, I know what an overflow bag is.

I just thought they all went to your accountant

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 12:50pm:
I'd hardly call your barb undergeared.  Three GS on myddo alone (I'm sure you have min II as well?), bloodstone, encrusted, oremi's, madstone and levik's - that's all well above average. 

I think people continually underestimate the importance of gear.  I have 2-3 toons that are very well to decently geared, and a bunch of toons that have shit (mostly used for farming shroud) - to me, it seems like the difference is enormous. 

And of course, if gear weren't really important, why would people farm/exploit for resources in the first place other than to gear themselves up? 

I have 2 kids that play semi-regularly.  They'll often ask for help in leveling up.  I'm also an incurable altoholic.  All told, between the 3 accounts with active toons (that doesn't count the 3 f2p mule accounts) I've got 22 toons with as many as 7-8 semi-active at any given time.  Obviously that strains my resources and I often can't afford all the shinies for the kids' new toon.

I can say without hesitation that the difference between geared with a bunch of BTA, low ML toys and geared with whatever I can throw together with 40'ish crafting levels is a night and day difference.  No heavy fort at lower levels without giving up the robe slot.  No low ML paralyzers, smiters, etc.  Much lower hp totals.  The game's still not hard but the difference is pretty striking.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #49 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
I love the smell of bannings in the morning.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint