Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic In the Flesh, Elite, Shortman (Read 9765 times)
Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

In the Flesh, Elite, Shortman
Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Got ripped on elite the other night and wanted to get some thoughts on this one.  Only thing I've seen come close to this quest on elite difficulty has been Ghosts of Perdition and even it was easier since the fight doesn't reset if you leave one person behind.  The beholders go down quick enough with a WOP repeater so not an issue other than the antimagic, the mind flayers are the killer for us with Mind Blast.  The Reavers have evasion so no BB kiting and fort saves that are pretty stiff as well.

Just seems odd to literally walk through the rest of the quest like it isn't even there including the undead beholder to then get gut stomped by a 30 foot tall squid.  I'm trying to determine if this is a 'perfect storm' of a quest against my group or if there is something we are missing; or is the quest the product of someone complaining it was too easy.  I solo'd this quest several times on elite on my cleric right after the quest chain came out.

6wiz/11ftr, 2ftr/15clr, 6art/11rng

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Re: In the Flesh, Elite, Shortman
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
It just requires strategy and capable characters. You need to have someone on trash full time, and without an arcane to dancing ball the reavers and Finger everything else you're going to have issues. Mind flayers go down easy to Finger and can't do anything to the undead so PMs are great.

Much like TOD part 3, you can't have anyone die. Staying alive is a huge priority, he heals like 20% with every death.

Control the trash, make sure casters are getting mana from the pods bursting, beat him down when he's vulnerable (non-casters may want DR bypassing weapons), make sure to kill the gravestone pods ASAP when they're up, and don't die.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2012 at 10:43pm by cdr »  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
What DC on FOD and Ball is required?  I was having issues landing destruction (33dc) reliably with a SOD/EDrain on the reavers when I went in and was screwing around on my cleric.  Granted she isn't built for high DCs.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
I soloed this a few times with a cleric hireling on elite with my dex rogue at lvl 17 not long after it came out. So unless they stealth changed it a ton....where and how is it going wrong?

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 11:47pm:
What DC on FOD and Ball is required?  I was having issues landing destruction (33dc) reliably with a SOD/EDrain on the reavers when I went in and was screwing around on my cleric.  Granted she isn't built for high DCs.

The reavers hit like freight trucks and have amazing fort saves, so it's better to dance them (will save) and AOE or melee them down.

It may be a lot easier solo than with a group; solo scaling gives you 50% damage reduction on top of everything else.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 11:49pm:
I soloed this a few times with a cleric hireling on elite with my dex rogue at lvl 17 not long after it came out. So unless they stealth changed it a ton....where and how is it going wrong?

Same here, we decimated it last life using freakin' hirelings.  Mainly, the mind flayers, & the amount of stuff that spawns.  Before, each round of mobs consisted only of 2-3 reavers, a flayer and an occasional beholder.  Now, each wave of mobs consists of 4-5 reavers, 2 flayers and a beholder.

Shit goes south in this order:
1- don't zone in buffed because a beholder is waiting on you.
2- FOM after beholder dead - pop sack
3- jump on flayers, make them pop quickly - pop sack
4- start on reavers, pop sack, DPS yaulthoon
5- Beholder spawns, FOM gone, get held by yaulthoon, reavers close and start raping whoever is held
6- kill beholder, save held, pop sack
7- kill flayers, re-fom, rez member who had brain eaten because mind flayer stun lasts 12 seconds, pop sack
8- start on reavers, pop sack, next wave spawns on top of old wave even though virtually all the bubbles he has thrown have hit sacks, get held, disintegrated, raped by reavers
9- scream for KY

1st part is flawless, from zone in till the 2nd wave is fine.  Our DPS doesn't change as all my fusillades go into Yaulthoon. After that, it is like the flayers and reavers in the rest of the quest were just a giant lie. Beholders con out in 2-3 trigger pulls depending on crits with a WOP repeater always, then die 1-2 rounds later. Mind Flayers before the end room con out at about half life then explode from there in a shower of SA dice and gore, in Yaulthoon's room they die most of the time before they con out, reavers in there I can't remember any con'ing out before they've died.  I even tried rolling my banisher.  Worked great on the beholders, may as well been throwing coal at the reavers/flayers, they just seem to save everything.

I would like to add, that we survived nearly 30 minutes in the last fight alone before we took our first death, he was at about 30%.  No pots used, no scrolls, still virtually FM.  We dropped him about 15% before the 2nd wave came in.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:11am by Aeolwind »  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:15am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 11:56pm:
The reavers hit like freight trucks and have amazing fort saves, so it's better to dance them (will save) and AOE or melee them down.

It may be a lot easier solo than with a group; solo scaling gives you 50% damage reduction on top of everything else.

They were hitting in the 50's last night in a 3 man party, and about 30ish when I tinkered around with my cleric.  Both boiled down to the same issue, Mind Flayer mind blast.  After eating 3 in a row on my cleric I saved the repair bill and bailed.

Could just be a gear issue, but fucking hell, ain't much more we could get that would be better on the DPS front or the saves front.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #7 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Well, PLIS should stop mind blast... but it might run out in there pretty quick.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Couple that with Yaulthoon's Meteor Swarm's and Mass Hold Monsters and I'm figuring about 17 seconds, tops.

IP Logged

green00_00
Butterface

DDO Vault Failure

Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 9:42am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:57am:
Well, PLIS should stop mind blast... but it might run out in there pretty quick.

Last time I ran this chain, my PLIS was not stopping mind blast.

[Color=red][Size=6][b][center]But you'll notice, not butterdick[\center][\b][\Size][\color]

Apparently I cannot figure out signatures.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
green00_00 wrote on Mar 3rd, 2012 at 9:42am:
Last time I ran this chain, my PLIS was not stopping mind blast.

Least they coded psionic saves then.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 4:53am
Print Post  
I ran this with Leira and Jen back when it came out on Elite. It wasn't too horrible 3 manning it, but we did almost wipe at one point due to the Psionic Blast he shoot across the field.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Quote:
I ran this with Leira and Jen back when it came out on Elite. It wasn't too horrible 3 manning it, but we did almost wipe at one point due to the Psionic Blast he shoot across the field.

When it first came out vs now are two different things apparently.  I can't find any patch notes about this being changed either, but I remember there being some 'stealth' changes after it went live.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Mar 4th, 2012 at 10:26am:
When it first came out vs now are two different things apparently.  I can't find any patch notes about this being changed either, but I remember there being some 'stealth' changes after it went live.

We did it on Live. It was tough, but we manged with 2 DPS and a Bard.

IP Logged

Azuphle
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
If you have a bard fascinating stuff so it is not respawning it's really easy. But well without a bard it's tough, especially without any goodies like FoM boots.

Last time I did it, it was different from when it came out on live, he didnt do his rays of doom, which usually where the main problem, but instead the trash seemed to be respawning faster.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #15 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Azuphle wrote on Mar 11th, 2012 at 4:55pm:
If you have a bard fascinating stuff so it is not respawning it's really easy. But well without a bard it's tough, especially without any goodies like FoM boots.

Last time I did it, it was different from when it came out on live, he didnt do his rays of doom, which usually where the main problem, but instead the trash seemed to be respawning faster.

I had 6 reavers and a mind flayer stoned and we got the next wave still.  18 now, just gonna break out the panthers after the last fight starts put them on aggressive and

When we first ran this on live, You didn't get the beholder on elite, you got 1-2 flayers, 1-2 reavers and a half dozen or so taken.  Dead Pyxzyl used to be harder than Yaulthoon, not now though.  This is one of those 'doesn't scale well for shortman parties' quests it seems.  2nd quest in the LOD series is the same.  CR28 drow in packs of 12 kinda suck.

IP Logged

Gasoline
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Somewhere there i a relese about it i remember it, it said something like, "Boosting yulthoons fight on elite".

It was a smaller patch about two months after it came out.

I solod it the day it came out, then a few lifes later i tried too two man it with two hirelings, after like 6 fails that where not even close, we gave up.

About a month ago i tried again with a full party and we failed the 1st run but passed the 2nd.

On elite this is a pretty tough quest now.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2012 at 2:47pm by Gasoline »  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #17 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Gasoline wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 2:45pm:

Yeah, to the point that it is rather silly.  Should a level 15 quest on elite, be harder than Mindsunder on elite or SOS elite w/ Sorjek?  Both are 'end chain' quests and should be more difficult.  This is one of those 'punch your DM' quests.

IP Logged

hgm-chi
Dragon Raider

Meh.

Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Gasoline wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 2:45pm:

We don't generally bother running this one anymore on elite at level.  Just not worth it.  I've gone in with a couple of pretty solid TR groups (myself being the obvious exception) and failed miserably at it.

IP Logged

Dracosanct
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 3:10pm:
Yeah, to the point that it is rather silly.  Should a level 15 quest on elite, be harder than Mindsunder on elite or SOS elite w/ Sorjek?  Both are 'end chain' quests and should be more difficult.  This is one of those 'punch your DM' quests.

Charm the beholder

IP Logged

strawberrybacon
Waterworks Kobold

KrazyKats

Reply #20 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Rays of Doom are the worst.

I believe I just skipped this one this past life. Didn't have a full party, didn't care enough to have to have it completed.
Seemed so much easier on a first life cleric, then a third life sorc. Heh, oh well.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Quote:
Charm the beholder

Yep that's how I soloed it. Just charm the beholders that spawn (I did it on a WF sorc life so my DC coudn't have been more than 30 if that lol) and let them keep rest of the trash busy, and dot Yaulthoon up. Once those 3 cocoons spawn in front of him nuke them ASAP and you're pretty much in the clear.

You can try to charm the flayers also but they have some SR so that's 50-50 at best.

Altho, looking at your party makeup I can see how you have issues and I don't really have much constructive advice Cheesy
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2012 at 6:31am by sweez »  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #22 - May 1st, 2012 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Apr 29th, 2012 at 6:30am:
Altho, looking at your party makeup I can see how you have issues and I don't really have much constructive advice Cheesy

We've TR'd again and back up to 10 as of last night.  We'll see how it flies this life: FvS, 'Mechanic Monk', and DOS Paladin with a 2 monk splash and Sorc Dil.  If not any better, cest la vie.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint