Poll
Poll closed Question: Which method do YOU think is best for HoX?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Patrol    
  10 (20.8%)
Collapse    
  34 (70.8%)
Other (describe strategy in comments)    
  4 (8.3%)

Total votes: 48
« Created by: kmack on: Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:31pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Which HoX method is the best? (Read 8696 times)
kmack
Shroud Slacker

Which HoX method is the best?
Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Pretty self-explanatory. Which method do you prefer and why do you prefer it?

In my experience using the patrol method leads to less anger/frustration with the raid in general (IE: I don't have to use pots and we actually complete). In all fairness though most PUG's I join run the collapse method whereas my guild prefers the patrol method for our guild runs. So is my dislike of the collapse method the result of bad pugs or does anyone else think you should patrol?

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Re: Which HoX method is the best?
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Honestly, I'd say it depends on the group.  If more than half of the group are decent to good players then H (collapse) if more than half of them are random puggers I'd say O (patrol).  Run around the outside can at times be a difficult instruction to follow and we all know how derpy random Sarlona puggers can be.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
kmack wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:31pm:
Pretty self-explanatory. Which method do you prefer and why do you prefer it?

In my experience using the patrol method leads to less anger/frustration with the raid in general (IE: I don't have to use pots and we actually complete). In all fairness though most PUG's I join run the collapse method whereas my guild prefers the patrol method for our guild runs. So is my dislike of the collapse method the result of bad pugs or does anyone else think you should patrol?

Which difficulty?

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Beerman made me a believer in the collapse method.  If we can complete on hard, shortmanned, at 2 in the morning, drunk off our asses, then it's as close as you're getting to foolproof.  Only question remaining for it then is 2x2 or 3x1...

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Goaticorn wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:50pm:
Honestly, I'd say it depends on the group.  If more than half of the group are decent to good players then H (collapse) if more than half of them are random puggers I'd say O (patrol).  Run around the outside can at times be a difficult instruction to follow and we all know how derpy random Sarlona puggers can be.

First of all, unless you're running elite, it will always be safer to collapse.  Always.  And even on elite, if you have the right group.
Secondly, your qualifiers are backwards.  A competent group is OK to patrol, but a group of newbies patrolling is extremely dangerous.

IP Logged

Zigana
Vaultgina

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I pretty much only run this with the Drunken Raids group and we do collapse method.  If a bunch of drunk people can pull it off without a hitch 9 times out of 10, then I think it's fair to say it's a pretty reliable method to use.  You only get 3 reavers that come into the middle and usually we can get her killed before the beholders show up.  We post people at each of the entrances to tab for beholders to take them out as soon as they show up and it's a pretty smooth complete most of the time. 

Nearly every time I see a group do the hunting party method, someone gets too much aggro and runs to the middle for help/heals and fucks it all up.  That being said though, I don't do guild raids, I do PUG raids, so that may be the difference.  If you have a solid guild group that knows their stuff and can handle the aggro, etc., then hunting party is great. 

My vote is for collapse though, it's pretty reliable no matter what your group make up is.

Strakeln wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 11:55am:
Zigana was in compliance with all rules.

Gawna did a good job at enforcing the rules as she understood them.

Stainer is the rules lawyer.

Hands down, Zigana is the Vault's best poster.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:27pm:
I'm not sure about best poster but I know for sure she's got the most balls of all the posters.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:52pm:
Beerman made me a believer in the collapse method.  If we can complete on hard, shortmanned, at 2 in the morning, drunk off our asses, then it's as close as you're getting to foolproof.  Only question remaining for it then is 2x2 or 3x1...

Yeah, there was one night where I solo healed a 4 man run after about 7 hours of drunk raids.  And you know I always played advanced rules.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Collapsing is superior, but PUGs are incapable of following so advanced a strategy - hence "O method"/patrol in PUGs on Sarlona.

Mostly a self perpetuating problem though, PUGs can only succeed at patrol because that's all they're used to. If every group ever collapsed they'd learn fine.
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:08pm by cdr »  

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
whoops, this post ended up in that thread first by accident.

kmack wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:54pm:
Cale wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:39pm:
and if 8 or 9 fucking people can't handle a few renders then you're fucked any way you look at it.

Especially if you need moar stones and haven't been on patrol keeping the hoard in check.

Anyway, started a discussion on this so we don't clog up Grace's thread just on HoX. I'll respond there if ya want to discuss further.

OK, so we'll do it in this thread.
As to the needing moar stones and wiping in an effort to get them, you have my answer in your post.  You quoted it.  I left it here as a multi-quote for you to take a gander at.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
We do a patrol after the inital stones are picked up. It keeps renders out of the middle keeps their numbers down. It also helps everyone stay more involved. It's much easier to get people to go to SW when they are already on patrol heading that way.

also, we do it Elite with the 3x1 method. I haven't seen a fail yet, and that includes runs where we get Big Beholders in the center.

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:11pm:
As to the needing moar stones and wiping in an effort to get them, you have my answer in your post.  You quoted it.  I left it here as a multi-quote for you to take a gander at.

In my experience most groups who need to rush out for more stones after collapsing fail. I'm sure, by the vast number of people who prefer collapsing, that this method works well... it just never has for me.

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I prefer to designate a hunting party to get stones if need be with collapse.  You should get a good feel for those players who are more self sufficient on the way to the raid.  The key is knowing you'll need more stones ahead of time so the chew toy can get ready with a fresh SF to maintain aggro.

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 9:07pm:
Collapsing is superior, but PUGs are incapable of following so advanced a strategy - hence "O method"/patrol in PUGs on Sarlona.

Mostly a self perpetuating problem though, PUGs can only succeed at patrol because that's all they're used to. If every group ever collapsed they'd learn fine.

This. 

I think the level of derp when it comes to this raid is totally misunderstood outside of Sarlona.  There are players who are pretty ok in general that have a reputation for never being able to complete this raid it does not matter what method they use or what difficulty.  Sometimes the derp is astounding.

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

My favorite word is Fuck.
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Only a divine, arcane(if we bring), bard in the middle. Edit..forgot the chew toy.

2 runners making a loop on opposite sides, want one crossing the north side when the other is crossing the south side, someone fast and or can self heal fairly well, while groups are posted on the east and west entrances but not in the entrance itself.  Healer can stand in the entrance area for each kill group.  Helps if the kill groups have really good AC and don't get touched or self sufficient, but we have brought 3 divines if we decide to pug out the rest.  Runners kite to the groups to kill.  We are ready when beholders are going to pop and gank them right away and go back to killing trash.

It does help that the kill groups will bring some of the trash that is near the corners and not wait for the runner.  Basically, one person in each kill group runs only the hall their group is in.  This will grab some of the stuff on the north and south halls that are just around the corner.

If we need stones, we have people out there already and the trash numbers are kept in check.  A fast runner picks up whatever number of stones we need and uses them then goes back to their kill group.

But we know when something is going to spawn.  Runners may have to occasionally stop with group and help kill and it helps to have a brain to figure this out.

We can bring a few pugs but it usually isn't too many.

This isn't something that we raid regularly.  Most don't really find it as fun, mostly because of the run and the raid is so short that it is kind of anti-climatic. 
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:53am by Fuck Off »  

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Collapse is more fool proof, although I like to draw some stuff into the hallways so I don't die of boredom.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #15 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:06am:
Collapse is more fool proof.

Again, yes, if you can get everyone in the group to actually collapse. Sarlona PUG? You're lucky if you have fewer than six running around the outside after they were supposed to collapse.

I ran several elites with Sabotage where there were few to no bad PUGs, everyone collapsed, and it finished like clockwork every time without even a minor bump.

Success in HOX is a combination of:
- non-critical people not fucking things up for the critical people
- fast stone-grabbers
- charmer with Augment Summon who knows what they're doing (3/1, not fucking up Rod's wand if they're using it)
- bard/buffers who know what they're doing
- tank who knows what they're doing
- healers who know what they're doing

Any two of those lacking and you're in for a rough ride at minimum, three and it's a wipe.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:24am by cdr »  

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Reply #16 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:31am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:06am:
Collapse is more fool proof

Come pug it on Sarlona Wink

It'll be fun, I promise!

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #17 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 2:05am
Print Post  
Zigana wrote on Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:54pm:
I pretty much only run this with the Drunken Raids group and we do collapse method.  If a bunch of drunk people can pull it off without a hitch 9 times out of 10, then I think it's fair to say it's a pretty reliable method to use.  You only get 3 reavers that come into the middle and usually we can get her killed before the beholders show up.  We post people at each of the entrances to tab for beholders to take them out as soon as they show up and it's a pretty smooth complete most of the time. 

Nearly every time I see a group do the hunting party method, someone gets too much aggro and runs to the middle for help/heals and fucks it all up.  That being said though, I don't do guild raids, I do PUG raids, so that may be the difference.  If you have a solid guild group that knows their stuff and can handle the aggro, etc., then hunting party is great. 

My vote is for collapse though, it's pretty reliable no matter what your group make up is.

the 1 time is when Beerman forgets to turn off auto attack while tanking.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

Blank
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 2:57am
Print Post  
rev Jim wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 2:05am:

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Goddamit!

Beat me to it Grin

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #19 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 4:38am
Print Post  
On elite, self-sufficient hunting teams, no need to sit in the middle and maybe unluckily have a baby beholder zap the puppies. This might not work in a largely pug run with strangers that might not follow directions.

IP Logged

flynnjsw
Shroud Slacker

F U All!!!!!!

Reply #20 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:20am
Print Post  
rev Jim wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 2:05am:

Grin Grin Grin Grin

It's also fun when he forgets to sing songs on his bard. Cheesy

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #21 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Collapse and scream at any idiots who bring junk to the centre. I only PUG Hound on Hard, basically.

What's people's opinions on 2 and 2 vs 3 and 1?

IP Logged

Throate
Waterworks Kobold

...to hear the lamentation
of them noobs

Reply #22 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 6:32am
Print Post  
I prefer the collapse method.

I also prefer charming 3, then 1 dog.
If one of the beholders makes it into the center you only lose 1 dog.
Assign some people to go grab another stone, recharm, and she should be dead before more beholders make it past the people who let the last one in...

IP Logged

Lost_Leader
Korthos Resident

I Love Whiskey!

Reply #23 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:49am
Print Post  
I tend to tell my groups to keep wandering round the outside. Several reasons for this.

1. I like saying "round the outside"

2. we are usually too drunk to try to give any more direction than to run in circles and kill shit

3. they kill more shit and I get more an planar shards. woohoo.

4. we usually screw something up and need more charming stones, so might as well just plan on it and get them ahead of time. Not that I'm saying Lazytigerlily likes to try to charm momma dog when she has had a few bottles of wine.

5. people get bored if they collapse and then they start casting grease, dispel magic, purple ball globes. and then they blame it on me. it so was not me!

I don't get drunk . . . just less sober!

IP Logged

Slug
Shroud Slacker

Reply #24 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Orien PUGs only use the patrol method, I never even heard of the collapse method.  And knowing Orien, we're probably doing it the stupid way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint