Poll
Poll closed Question: Which method do YOU think is best for HoX?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Patrol    
  10 (20.8%)
Collapse    
  34 (70.8%)
Other (describe strategy in comments)    
  4 (8.3%)

Total votes: 48
« Created by: kmack on: Jun 3rd, 2012 at 8:31pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Which HoX method is the best? (Read 8695 times)
sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Which HoX method is the best?
Reply #25 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:16am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:23am:
- charmer with Augment Summon who knows what they're doing

No

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #26 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Unless you have an ace group that can take care of itself, always collapse.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Spelljammer
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #27 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Hate to reveal my ignorance here but can someone explain in detail the collapse method?

bbqzor: "This game is, in some ways, a pile of leftover broken things."
IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #28 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Spelljammer wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:02am:
Hate to reveal my ignorance here but can someone explain in detail the collapse method?

Rather than running in a circle everyone collapses to the center and just watches the entrances.  The reavers will just run around in circles as long as no one pokes their head out.  You will get 1 or two protectors to handle but for the most part you just stand and wait.  Now, depending on difficulty and party composition you may need to cover north and south for beholders or go grap extra stones. 

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Spelljammer
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #29 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:32am
Print Post  
First, thanks for sharing.  I've done many HoX runs on Orien and never heard of this.  I really appreciate this.
Second, just to be clear, when collapsing the mind flayers just come to you in the center?  And beholders antimagic never reaches pups to de-charm?

bbqzor: "This game is, in some ways, a pile of leftover broken things."
IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #30 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Spelljammer wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:32am:
First, thanks for sharing.  I've done many HoX runs on Orien and never heard of this.  I really appreciate this.
Second, just to be clear, when collapsing the mind flayers just come to you in the center?  And beholders antimagic never reaches pups to de-charm? 

Sorry, skipped that part.  You do one loop to kill the flayers and get the 4 stones then you collapse.  If you need extra stones you head out and just kill the flayers and head back to center.

As for beholders, you need to position mama near the east tunnel and you place people north and south to watch for the beholders as the time approaches.  Kill the beholders and recollapse.  With augment summoning and a bard, you can usually drop her on Hard before the beholders spawn.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:47am by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Senpo
Waterworks Kobold

> . <

Reply #31 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Spelljammer wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 10:32am:

yo spell, you might hear some people on orien refer to this as the east hallway method where they all just collapse to east hallway

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #32 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 11:43am
Print Post  
I voted other, my strategy is to win.  That is all that matters.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Vanshilar
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
With PUGs involved I'd say that the safer method is to collapse. The main problems are PUGs that end up too far out and attracting the attention of the reavers which you are not supposed to do in the collapse method, and PUGs who aren't paying attention to the center group and end up getting bees and screaming for heals or whatever. Another risk of the collapse method is if someone doesn't see any of the mini-beholders in time, because it only takes one anti-magic beam to screw it up. However, the group leader can monitor most of that and yell corrective actions and abuse over the mic as needed.

With the patrol/kill team method, you will get PUGs that cut through the center for heals, inevitably a few of the PUGs will decide to stay at the center and pike and watch rather than being outside with the kill team (and therefore, the kill team becomes too weak to take care of the trash without major healing support, and the center team gets distracted by people screaming about bees or worse, why there's no more dogs), PUGs that are too slow and fall behind the kill team and end up driving up alert by dragging a lot of trash (rather than running in the *opposite* direction to meet back up with the kill team and take care of the trash), or worse, drag it all to the center for heals because they can't catch up to the kill team to get healed, and so forth. I like it for the extra bags but in PUGs I'd say the collapse method is somewhat safer.

From a theoretical standpoint the approach that I like is:

* Center guys (obviously)
* Kill team being everyone except center guys and 2 people
* 2 people that stay 180 degrees away from each other on the outside, running in the opposite direction as the kill team

The 2 people's jobs are to attract aggro, so they should be relatively fast and have throwers to attract aggro from far away. They basically take aggro and drag it into the kill team. Staying at 180 degrees from each other means that there's very little gap in coverage (as opposed to just 1 person running in the opposite direction -- the location where the kill team and that 1 person meets, has the time it takes to make a full lap before it will be covered again). They don't really need to be that self-sufficient, since the healer on the kill team can just pop them a heal on every fly-by.

Of course this is from a theoretical standpoint, from a practical implementation standpoint the problems are horrendous (due to coordination issues) if you have PUGs. HoX is (like Abbot and VoN) one of those raids where a Leeroy Jenkins can easily screw up the raid for everyone, so it's better to go with a low-risk low-reward strategy than a higher-risk higher-reward strategy -- especially since the cost of failure is having to repeat the run through the Subterrane which takes quite a bit of time with PUGs. From a theoretical standpoint I'd also prefer that people split up for portals in part 1 of Shroud to make it go quicker (and more efficient use of boosts, thereby also making it go more quickly), but the practical challenges in getting people to learn a new portal order are also pretty horrendous especially on Orien so we scrapped that idea for PUG Shrouds after some internal discussion. (There simply aren't enough players outside of the guild that are willing to put effort into learning something new to make their playing time more efficient, and of course this being Orien the usual idiots would come out of the woodwork to denounce it as the latest sign of Over Raided's supposed elitism and attention-grabbing, so PUGs run it the same old slow way every time, even though it would mean less time on every Shroud run which becomes significant over the many times that a player runs Shroud in his DDO lifetime. Judging by what's listed on ddowiki, I'm guessing the same thing is true on other servers as well; not enough people on each server want to farm Shroud faster to the point of introducing faster ways to do the portals server-wide.)

In terms of 2x2 vs 3x1, I prefer 2x2 for one reason above all others -- I've been in 3x1 groups where the 3 dogs make Xyzzy's HP go down really quickly, and so everyone thinks it's going well and get complacent, then when it comes time to recharm the dogs everything goes haywire and the raid wipes with Xyzzy at 40%. 2x2 is better for maintaining the pace of the raid so that people get a more realistic idea of where the raid's at in terms of its progress.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:55pm by Vanshilar »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #34 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Always been doing the run around ( patrol ) thingie while a healer, an arcane and a chew toy play with the bitch and her puppies in the middle.

For a while we did a variation of the above ( everybody east, one guy on patrol clockwise one on patrol counterclockwise to drag mob to the pack ), but we usually do the reliable and well known run around in circle like headless chickens.

Note : I only do guild raids.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Reply #35 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Lost_Leader wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:49am:
4. we usually screw something up and need more charming stones, so might as well just plan on it and get them ahead of time. Not that I'm saying Lazytigerlily likes to try to charm momma dog when she has had a few bottles of wine.

Like to, no, no.  I LOVE to charm momma!

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #36 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Hey, Vanshilar, thank you for all that number crunching stuff you do, it's very interesting :*

I'm asking about 2 by 2 vs 3 and 1 because I instinctively plump for 2 by 2 but it's a gut reaction and I usually quell dissention by yelling at the hapless PUGGle. Another rationale would be nice Wink

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #37 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Vanshilar wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:54pm:
In terms of 2x2 vs 3x1, I prefer 2x2 for one reason above all others -- I've been in 3x1 groups where the 3 dogs make Xyzzy's HP go down really quickly, and so everyone thinks it's going well and get complacent, then when it comes time to recharm the dogs everything goes haywire and the raid wipes with Xyzzy at 40%. 2x2 is better for maintaining the pace of the raid so that people get a more realistic idea of where the raid's at in terms of its progress.

That is indeed a valid reason to prefer 2x2.
I prefer 3x1 for one reason above all others -- By the time you get beholders (if it even goes that far) you're on the last pup.  This means that if that beholder sneaks in and anti-magics the pup, you only need one more stone rather than two.

IP Logged

Zigana
Vaultgina

Reply #38 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:01pm:
I prefer 3x1 for one reason above all others -- By the time you get beholders (if it even goes that far) you're on the last pup.  This means that if that beholder sneaks in and anti-magics the pup, you only need one more stone rather than two.

I have the same rationale on this idea.  Especially if you have a bard and augment summoning going on, Mama will be dead before beholders even show up if you've got 3x1 going.

Strakeln wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 11:55am:
Zigana was in compliance with all rules.

Gawna did a good job at enforcing the rules as she understood them.

Stainer is the rules lawyer.

Hands down, Zigana is the Vault's best poster.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:27pm:
I'm not sure about best poster but I know for sure she's got the most balls of all the posters.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #39 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 7:01pm:

That's also why I prefer 3x1. 

If we don't have someone with the intimidate numbers for big mama, then I'll go with 2x2.  But just because it pains me watching one dog by itself getting tripped when we're watching her health not go anywhere.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Stopwound
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
I prefer the 3x1, fast simple and only one dog to charm, but I must admit the 2x2 is also a good alternative just because the 3rd dog can sometimes bug out and go round smelling the arse of the other doggies and ends up doing nothing to Mama, but if that happens in 3x1 I would usually ask the tank to re-position.

IP Logged

Nancy
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Depends, as Lily says, on the group.  And your mood.  And your level of bitchiness.  Collect all 4 stones elite at level Pug with 3 ringers who can complete anyway?  Not my cup of tea, but I have seen it done.  So Wrong question:  Thus is situational.   Depends on what Epoch is wearing.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I don't know which is best since I am either healing or tanking in the center. I just do what job I am assigned and haven't failed in a long time.

I am guessing both are used in groups that I am in, but since I am not the leader, I don't pay attention to what the rest are doing.

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Reply #43 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Just a thought here.  If any of you want to check out the derp levels of Sarlona HoX pugs I will hit you with any stones I have left if you roll a toon and get to 8.

Do it for the LOLZ!

IP Logged

Enoach
Korthos Resident

Paladins, Wizards and
Clerics Oh my!

Reply #44 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
No matter what method is used, the best one is the one where the whole party is working the same method.

When explaining methods to new players, or to a player that has never run said method, remember K.I.S.S.  if it takes more than 2 minutes to explain, than it has too many moving parts and the complexity may be hard to get down the first time.

Of all the methods run Collapse is the Simplest as it is easy to explain to someone to run around in a circle until four stones are collected, come to the center, stay out of Mamma's breath, Kill anything that's not a puppy that enters the center.  Kill Mamma when the DM tells you you can.

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #45 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Goaticorn wrote on Jun 4th, 2012 at 1:31am:
Come pug it on Sarlona Wink

It'll be fun, I promise!

Challenge accepted…oh wait, already did that.

Tongue

IP Logged

Goaticorn
DQ Assaulter

Reply #46 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Tobril wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 4:29pm:
Challenge accepted…oh wait, already did that.

You is in some of the pug runs I do so they not all bad

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #47 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I think Vanshilar needs to move to Sarlona and have
babies with Samulas.  PUG raids would have a way
higher completion rate if that happened.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint