Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) DDO 2.0 - What would you want? (Read 23820 times)
Spelljammer
Waterworks Kobold

DDO 2.0 - What would you want?
Jun 15th, 2012 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Just for fun.
What if they created an entirely new DDO, from the ground up.
What would you want to see?

bbqzor: "This game is, in some ways, a pile of leftover broken things."
IP Logged

spathic
Stocky Greenis

Taunting the stupid since
before you were born.

Re: DDO 2.0 - What would you want?
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Nothing complicated. Working AC system that is scalable through all content, more of an effort to actually finish classes such as prestige classes, a commitment to not screwing with existing class/spell/whatever functionality because some people whine about things, or because your content was designed such that some classes are relatively under or overpowered.

Quests with more tactics. Note to developers 10x hit points is not tactics. How about more mechanics like in Stormcleave or In the Flesh where bosses are invulnerable in certain conditions? How about some low level intro quests that force people to learn how to group together effectively and how to meet expectations. Celimas should give you 10 cure light wound pots and make you drink them, and then give you a vendor coupon for a starter pack of cure, curse, restore and resist pots.

Oh, and about 80 percent fewer collectables and ingredient.

Instant asshole. Just add alcohol.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
A whole new development team.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Spelljammer
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Would be nice to see a different paradigm for design and development.  Agile Manifesto ftw.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
- Any developer that says or thinks “People play MMOs to see big numbers.” will be executed immediately.

- Opponents that scale better.  We should be facing CR:20 opponents on an elite level 20 quest.  Not this CR:30 bullshit that we call epics.

- Not D&D 4.0.  I know some moron will spout off stupidity like “It’s designed to be like WoW!”  But, making it into a realtime game would be an even bigger nightmare than adapting 3.5 was.

- Not Eberron.  Just so we could lose all the “I are playin a robot dur dur dur” idiots.

- Greyhawk.  Since it hasn’t been overdone in the video game format.

- Less gear bloat.  Buffs are nice, skills are important.  But +5 skill boosting gear should be rare raid loot.

- No taking simple systems like action points and turning them into complex behemoths like the enhancement system.

- A design that uses actual 3d movement like flight, swimming and climbing.  And not bullshit like limited fly zones, abundant step wannabe cheese, “Amazing” underwater combat, capped jump scores and ladders only climbing.

IP Logged

Spelljammer
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Yeah D&D 3.5 seems clearly superior to all other versions.  No idea why they waged war against multiclassing in 4.0.

Greyhawk would be awesome, esp. with cleric domians.  The pantheon in that setting was diverse and extensively developed.  Living Greyhawk (now dead, due to RPGA's agreement with WotC) was tons of fun.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:17pm:

I would say new management. There are obviously many people working on the game that are very good at their job along with the many people who are very bad for the game. Smart management that can cut out the bad and get out of the way of the people who know what they are doing.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Rolemaster in MMO  Grin

Nah, seriously... something 3.0 or 3.5... or 2.0. No 4shit.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Merrick
DQ Assaulter

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
and shareholders who get a percentage of subscription fees but NOTHING from store transactions in any way shape or form to encourage them to back actual decent development instead of cutesy fucking cosmetic pets.

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
3.5 direct translation to MMO.

Wizards start with 4+CON mod HP, same for other classes (max HP per level is OK)
friendly fire is ON
*every* spell from the 3.5 PHB is ingame
spells-per-day, not SP
sane amounts of HP on monsters
no blanket immunities except where it makes sense (fire eles immune to fire)
sane loot tables (no +1 items from the first chest you ever open, you are lucky if it's masterwork)
etc...

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

Deeds
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I would like the mechanics such that it is more beneficial to the party to have me act as the main agro magnet and damage dealer. All other group members would be gloriously relegated to support roles (because an inconceivable amount of ppl who play mmo PREFER to play support classes).

As such divine and arcane casters will have no offensive spells therefore allowing them to focus solely and correctly on me, the barbarian. Once implemented, this will surely draw the majority of the mmo audience worldwide.

Cunting.

Also, penis.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Consistent mechanics, and a commitment to finishing what you start, including knocking out side effects before you call it done. (When did that become setting the bar high?)

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2012 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Moar epeen measurement tools

IP Logged

DDONoob
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
The problem with DDO is that the original development team never planned beyond lvl 10.

So they made far too powerful abilities available with min lvl 10, such as vorpal, banishing, smiting, WoP etc.

While this was really not a problem when the cap was lvl 10, the shit really hit the fan when we got module 4 and GH loot. Up until then we only had a few elite chests that had a chance to generate min lvl 10 weapons. With GH we got a load of chests and quest rewards that always had min lvl 10 items in them. So the number of vorpals and WoP's and whatnot exploded. It only got worse with the Vale and GS in Shroud.

So what I want is a DDO 2 with a development team that plans for balance from lvl 1 to lvl 30, limiting what gear we have available much more than today.

What we have today is really FUBAR.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Well as you know Draga, Vorpal and such are ML10.

But in PnP the DM don't put them potentially in every LVL 10 chest.

What screw the game badly is that we have so many chests to loot with so many opportunity to pull out from the chest a legendary artefact.
As we keep repeating the quests we end up equipped completely with legendary artifacts...

While in PnP with the same kind of loot and the control of a responsible DM a party of LVL 20 characters will have at best 2/3 legendary artefacts for the whole party.
( that is there's going to be one +6 ring, one +5 Epic equivalent weapon, one +5 epic equivalent armor distributed to the whole party )

The other side of the coin is that they have to put loot if they want to keep people interested in the game... Especially in the begining... if we didn't have the loot to look for we would never have stayed.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Spelljammer
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 2:42pm:
The other side of the coin is that they have to put loot if they want to keep people interested in the game... Especially in the begining... if we didn't have the loot to look for we would never have stayed.

Can't there be other things that make players come back?

IP Logged

ShaleraDagen
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
No lag!

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Spelljammer wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 2:53pm:
Can't there be other things that make players come back?

Sadly it's the same state as sandbox MMOs, look on any MMO messageboard and see how many "OMG we need more sandbox MMOs" type posts you see, then look at how well any semi recent ones have ended up.

Alot of vocal people are sick of the kill/loot/grind model nearly every MMO these days uses, but anything that has deviated from this norm tends to crash and burn (see how well DDO did pre-unlimited) so good luck getting anyone to invest money in such an MMO. Lots of support on paper, not so much in reality.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Wasn't there a game where some guy had a bunch of giants chase him and he lead his giant army and used it to destroy everyone? No one could touch him because he was level 2 or something.

I want DDO 2.0 to let me be able to do that.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:52pm by JC »  

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

qwerty1234
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Your options for end game are basically huge grind or pvp or both.

I'd like to see melee capped at level 10.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:52pm:
Wasn't there a game where some guy had a bunch of giants chase him and he lead his giant army and used it to destroy everyone? No one could touch him because he was level 2 or something.

Everquest hardcore server, ya?  Fancy.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #21 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 11:03pm:
Everquest hardcore server, ya?  Fancy.

Those were good days.  Bards were the best for killing everything.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Spelljammer
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
JC wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:52pm:

Susceptible to epic grief tactics... Check.

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jun 15th, 2012 at 1:17pm:

QFT

1) Understands the rules and which ones need to be tuned for an MMO environment. [Not rewritten because they are lazy]
2) Creative enough to create a storyline within the rules (but can break some when they truly enhance the storyline). [see 1]
3) Using a code repository that has versioning (so they quit reintroducing the same damn bugs). [Comments and documentation in code? What are those?]
4) QA that actually has test plans to recreate known bugs (past and present) and tests for them at every code drop. [Holy fuck, you can script test plans?]
5) Have a framework that plans all the way to cap. [What else can we bolt on after the fact?]

Oh who are we kidding, they will never do this. They just want to run this into the ground until they find another project to work on.

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:42pm:
Sadly it's the same state as sandbox MMOs, look on any MMO messageboard and see how many "OMG we need more sandbox MMOs" type posts you see, then look at how well any semi recent ones have ended up.

Alot of vocal people are sick of the kill/loot/grind model nearly every MMO these days uses, but anything that has deviated from this norm tends to crash and burn (see how well DDO did pre-unlimited) so good luck getting anyone to invest money in such an MMO. Lots of support on paper, not so much in reality.

This.
Sad but true. I would so love to see people deviate from the Everquest model for MMO's but I think that moment has passed, and MMO's are a dirty word to a publisher this year...see Star Wars and 38 Studios. What was that 500 MMO employees vaped in a week? (but that evil Turbine..)
It's sad really, because 'MMO' at the beginning was not supposed to only be MMORPG, but a whole new way to play multiple genres. There was some ok experiments into other genres like Planetside, and one very hopeful one in the future --Mechwarrior, but most have been substandard to awful like Auto Assault.

What I want? Simple. I want to stop using words like Grind and treadmill while describing game mechanics. It's lazy and outdated. I want Tank/Nuke/Healer to be a thing of the past. I've played all that for a decade now. There are so many interesting ideas to try that break this outdated model.

And I never want to see a hotbar again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint