Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Internet options (Read 7460 times)
PlaidPooka
DQ Assaulter

Fuckity-fuck-fuck

Internet options
Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Hello Vaulties.  My fiancé and I are considering moving, and are looking at houses.  The house I am most interested in has no high speed cable internet, but is hooked up for satellite internet, specifically Dish network.  Do any of you use this, and how much does it effect your gameplay, specifically lag issues?

Tarrant can suck my boobies.  On second thought, they are far too soft and supple for the likes of him.  Tarrant, you can GFY while having hopeless pathetic dreams of my boobies.

IP Logged

Dhalgren
Big Sexy

I Love Drama!

Re: Internet options
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
I used satellite while visiting family over the last holidays. The latency was brutal; I was constantly in stutter-step lag. It was bad enough that while a guildie and I were still able to duo through a couple of levels, I was more or less piking most of it.

I'm not sure how much the provider affects it. Not much that they can do about the ground-to-space roundtrip, but maybe other providers have faster tech on their satellites/ground stations. (I think this was on Bell).

A smartphone set to 3G and configured as a Wifi hotspot performs far, far better in my experience, in case that's an option for you.

IP Logged

PlaidPooka
DQ Assaulter

Fuckity-fuck-fuck

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Dhalgren wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:14pm:
I used satellite while visiting family over the last holidays. The latency was brutal; I was constantly in stutter-step lag. It was bad enough that while a guildie and I were still able to duo through a couple of levels, I was more or less piking most of it.

I'm not sure how much the provider affects it. Not much that they can do about the ground-to-space roundtrip, but maybe other providers have faster tech on their satellites/ground stations. (I think this was on Bell).

A smartphone set to 3G and configured as a Wifi hotspot performs far, far better in my experience, in case that's an option for you.

A Wifi hotspot is certainly an option for us.  Thanks for the tip.
What pisses me off most is that the local cable company provides digital cable TV to the area, but no internet at all!  Bastards!

Tarrant can suck my boobies.  On second thought, they are far too soft and supple for the likes of him.  Tarrant, you can GFY while having hopeless pathetic dreams of my boobies.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Ask Glenalth

IP Logged

Torgal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Could check for Verizon Fios or AT&T Uverse, both fiber optic, but limited in where they can be found.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
PlaidPooka wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:02pm:
Hello Vaulties.  My fiancé and I are considering moving, and are looking at houses.  The house I am most interested in has no high speed cable internet, but is hooked up for satellite internet, specifically Dish network.  Do any of you use this, and how much does it effect your gameplay, specifically lag issues? 

Ya, Glenalth is about the only person I know that:
A.  Plays on a satellite connection
B.  Doesn't suck horribly doing it

You're gonna be doing a lot of "future casting".  IE If you think you might need to do something in 2-3 seconds, do it early.  Just in case.

I'd plan on playing a lot of offline games.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
I did some research when I was looking to switch (Thanks to Massachusetts leaders comcast has no competition where I live, so it was continue to get bentover by them or go satellite) a from what I could tell is that dish, when stuff is working well, will be indistinguishable from cable.

But, during heavy rain, snow or wind you start to have issues.  That was a deal breaker for me.  When work is closed due to snow, I want my internet working.  When its nice out, I'm outside.

Good Luck

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
livefreeordie wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:44pm:
I did some research when I was looking to switch (Thanks to Massachusetts leaders comcast has no competition where I live, so it was continue to get bentover by them or go satellite) a from what I could tell is that dish, when stuff is working well, will be indistinguishable from cable.

But, during heavy rain, snow or wind you start to have issues.  That was a deal breaker for me.  When work is closed due to snow, I want my internet working.  When its nice out, I'm outside.

Good Luck

This is correct for internet  browsing/movies/etc.  It's completely offbase for online gaming.

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Torgal wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:42pm:
Could check for Verizon Fios or AT&T Uverse, both fiber optic, but limited in where they can be found.

I have that and its really pretty good.

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

Dhalgren
Big Sexy

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Osharan Tregarth wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:55pm:
This is correct for internet  browsing/movies/etc.  It's completely offbase for online gaming.

This, pretty much. Bandwidth isn't the problem; latency is. I'm not saying that all satellite service is created equal, but I can't see satellite latency being at all comparable to cable in the general case.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
Beyond the latency problems, the big issue is the cost vs return.

They won't tell you this, but when I had satellite is that they limited your download. The $60/month used to only be around 20G a day, after that they would throttle your portal.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Dhalgren wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 1:14pm:

Ooh, that sounds interesting for my running partner, who has just moved to the UK and doesn't really need a landline. Can anyone have pity on an internet noob and point me to a 101 for what he'd be looking for?

(I play on a 800kb broadband connection made of two tin cans and a piece of string. It gets interesting sometimes Wink )

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Satellite is the ISP of last resort. Do not get it if you have any other options.

You have at minimum 800ms added to anything you do since you have two trips into space and back. Usual pings when I have a clear connection are in the 1200-1600 range. This makes gaming, interesting. You have to get very good at predicting mob movements. Of course that's more problematic when you are in a party with other people as you can't predict their movements and how the mobs will react to those. It's also enough of a delay that some internet connected devices time out and won't work with the internet at all (my poor Wii.)

You are being pointed at a satellite with a ton of users on it so everything gets queued and the delays to get your data into the queue get longer when you're in the heavy use hours.

During peak hours you can also see your available speeds drop to under dialup and you won't be able to do much more than soloing. Think of the old school Shroud lag where you would be seeing things that already happened, except that it can be caused by just hitting the training dummy depending on the severity. This has been worse lately.

You also have a fairly low bandwidth cap. If you have several people sharing or you like to watch YouTube, you're going to run into it all the time. DDO doesn't use much, so it's not really a problem there. As far as consumer connections go, Hughesnet is fairly nice on their caps as they're daily soft caps (so if you go over today, you only get slowed down and it will be normal tomorrow) and you get free download time in the late night.

Something that could alleviate some of these issues is that Hughesnet just launched a new satellite and they should start selling access to it around November. You'll still have latency, but the other stuff should be unnoticeable until they get a lot of subscribers on it.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Beyond the latency problems, the big issue is the cost vs return.

They won't tell you this, but when I had satellite is that they limited your download. The $60/month used to only be around 20G a day, after that they would throttle your portal.

That would be ridiculously generous for Satellite.

I think WildBlue had a 20GB a month package around there.

Hughesnet is around 300MB a day for that rate, but you have 5 hours of free download time in the late night.

IP Logged

Dhalgren
Big Sexy

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 2:49pm:
Ooh, that sounds interesting for my running partner, who has just moved to the UK and doesn't really need a landline. Can anyone have pity on an internet noob and point me to a 101 for what he'd be looking for?

(I play on a 800kb broadband connection made of two tin cans and a piece of string. It gets interesting sometimes Wink )

I can at least tell you what I do when my cable goes out. My phone (HTC Desire; Android) has the ability to act as a Wifi router ("Portable Wi-Fi hotspot", in my phone's lingo). When this is turned on, it goes into 3G mode and acts for all the world like my main Wifi router/cable modem combo. There really aren't that many settings to configure on it, so while limited, it's also easy to get going. Once you set up the SSID (hotspot name), security type, and passphrase, it pretty much works out the rest for itself.

Also, http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9221336/Wi_Fi_tethering_101_Use_a_smartph...

It's not as fast as my cable, and YMMV depending on your provider, phone type, cell signal, etc. That said, I think I'm probably in the "average" category for all three of those and it works fine for me in most cases.

Some caveats: when gaming in this mode, the phone runs hot. I make sure to set it where it can get decent airflow and as good a 3G signal as possible. It also sucks electricity like mad, so plugging it in is a good idea. You'll also want to make sure that your data plan can cover the needed bandwidth. I honestly don't know how much data gaming nightly for a month would use, compared to what my plan offers; I haven't bothered to do the math as I usually only need to do this a few times a year for a night or so at a time when the cable goes out of some reason. DDO isn't that heavy on the bandwidth, though.

IP Logged

GimpyPaw
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
For a game like DDO where you attack the same mob for anywhere from 3 seconds to 3 minutes and lag is just an accepted feature, I imagine satelite will work, but suck doing it.

For any games where it's 1 shot - 1 kill, i.e. any first person shooter game out there...

in the time your computer can tell your modem to send out the info that you've aimed and fired at the enemy behind the box, and then the modem relays to the dish, which relays to it's satelite, which bounces to earth, get's the responce data, and repeats the sequences in reverse...

The guy behind the box ran up to your lagged out ass, clubbed you to conserve ammo and humped your corpse.

That's pretty much how it went for me when I made the mistake of getting satelite.  Won't make that mistake again.

IP Logged

Zhalian
Dragon Raider

Drama is best served fresh.

Reply #16 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 1:55am
Print Post  
To chime in here sat is terrible for gaming, not really bad for pure downloading but even web browsing feels slow as shit on it.  I went from dial up (rural area) on which I used to do fairly well in fps games (kicking the shit out of someone with a 30ms ping with a 300 is golden) to sat and it SUCKED horribly for everything I used the internet for.  Thankfully dsl finally became available a year later and I got the fuck out of that contract and got rural dsl, slightly better than dial up, WORLDS better than sat.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.
- Mel Brooks

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
On vaca was in a few spots where I had no connection other than creating a hotspot on my cell phone. Worked amazingly well. Haven't gotten the bill yet so I have no idea how much data I used. I would imagine a 5 GB plan would cover it.

IP Logged

PlaidPooka
DQ Assaulter

Fuckity-fuck-fuck

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks all.  Sounds like the new house will suck as far as gaming goes.
Anyone know anything about personal wireless hotspot devices, like AT &T's Cradlepoint?  Maybe that would be a better option than using a phone all the time.

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #19 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
PlaidPooka wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 2:10pm:
Anyone know anything about personal wireless hotspot devices, like AT &T's Cradlepoint? 

AT&T just launched shared data plans today, so depending on how many users you have on your plan you may want to consider that.

The basic data plans for a hotspot device are $35 (3 GB/mo) and $50 (5 GB/mo). The cost of the device itself will vary. To add hotspot capability to your smartphone plan individually the cost is $50 for 5 GB/mo.

The main advantage to using your phone is that you don't pay for 2 data plans (1 for the hotspot device and 1 for your smartphone). If you don't already have a smartphone then this may not be an issue. Another thing to consider as well is that AT&T offers discounts based upon your current employer. These discounts apply to the $50 feature but NOT the standalone $50 plan.

IP Logged

LordPiglet
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
You might look into sprint and t-mobile to see if they still have the unlimited data plans.

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2012 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
LordPiglet wrote on Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:57pm:
You might look into sprint and t-mobile to see if they still have the unlimited data plans.

Sprint only if there is solid coverage at your home on Sprint's network. Their "unlimited" doesn't cover cross carrier roaming. (Good luck!)

T-Mobile also throttles usage over 5 GB just like Verizon and AT&T.

The unlimited plans look nicer on the surface but probably won't yield the best gaming experience. If these estimates are accurate a 5 GB plan should cover you unless you live on DDO 24/7.

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jul 17th, 2012 at 3:05pm:
That would be ridiculously generous for Satellite.

I think WildBlue had a 20GB a month package around there.

Hughesnet is around 300MB a day for that rate, but you have 5 hours of free download time in the late night.

I was on Hughesnet about 10 years ago, and I may be misremembering about the daily allotment, but it wasn't enough.

By the time I got onto the computer for gaming after my wife working all day and the kids doing their stuff, I could barely play, and many days I couldn't. They eventually told me they were throttling my data because I was going over the limit everyday.

Back then, they didn't tell customers that there was a limit. Someone let the cat out of the bag by accident when I was complaining for the umpteenth time.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2012 at 10:47am by »  

IP Logged

PlaidPooka
DQ Assaulter

Fuckity-fuck-fuck

Reply #23 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone.  We're casual gamers, 'cause there just isn't enough time in the day, so maybe the hotspot would be an option for us.  We also found a DSL company that might go to that area.  We even thought about running a T1 line, but the way the monthly fees are set up, it's way too costly.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #24 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
PlaidPooka wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 12:04pm:
Thanks everyone.  We're casual gamers, 'cause there just isn't enough time in the day, so maybe the hotspot would be an option for us.  We also found a DSL company that might go to that area.  We even thought about running a T1 line, but the way the monthly fees are set up, it's way too costly.

Tons of DSL sellers will tell you that they can give you access, 90% of them are lying. Figure out how far you are from your CO. Typically service levels will start degrading after 9,000ft and drop off completely sometime after 22,000ft (line conditions can lower these significantly.)

Sometimes you can get a decent deal on a T1 and share it with neighbors that will help split the costs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint