Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Internet options (Read 7461 times)
someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Re: Internet options
Reply #25 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
i had satellite and played ddo with it for about a year and a half. certain things were certainly not viable like being an effecient healer. you have to anticipate damage being taken and basically heal before it happens against really dangerous bosses. which can often mean you overheal and waste sp. my pings werent as good as glenaths (1500 minimum and usually avg 1900). and then there were always complete spikes when i couldnt move at all or do anything. so i mostly stuck to melee chars or ones with little responsibility because you cant even rely on being able to hit things or tank because of random DCs. i had the worst satellite provider though in hughesnet. whatever you do avoid them. i paid $200 for installation, $100/m for 1.5mb down/256kbps up. and only allowed 1gb a day. on a 2 year contract and my speeds never reached that. $400 to break contract and about $400-$500 to replace the transmitter if it gets blown off your roof/pole during a storm. for comparison of how shitty that is i currently pay $30/m for cable that gets 10mb download speeds... with free installation lol. and it pretty much always operates at max speed. if you dont mind not being able to do important raid roles or playing at all on some week nights (peak usage hours) and paying a ton of money then i guess go for it Tongue. also wifi hotspots are essentially the same technology but with less stable connections for gaming. i tried other games on satellite and they actually performed a bit better. WoW wasnt laggy at all or spikey (but the game itself is boring as shit) and swtor was only bad during peak satellite hours. i consider myself to be better than 99.9% of ddo players so i got by most of the time. (basing this after playing once i had cable and was unkillable and led everyone in kills everywhere. suck it naysayers)

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #26 - Jul 19th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
someguy wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 5:03pm:
my pings werent as good as glenaths (1500 minimum and usually avg 1900).

That's how it was on the older system (HN7000) I had until earlier this year. Latency got better with an upgrade to the current satellite and system, though this last month has been pretty terrible.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:47am
Print Post  
someguy wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 5:03pm:
i had satellite and played ddo with it for about a year and a half. certain things were certainly not viable like being an effecient healer. you have to anticipate damage being taken and basically heal before it happens against really dangerous bosses. which can often mean you overheal and waste sp. my pings werent as good as glenaths (1500 minimum and usually avg 1900). and then there were always complete spikes when i couldnt move at all or do anything. so i mostly stuck to melee chars or ones with little responsibility because you cant even rely on being able to hit things or tank because of random DCs. i had the worst satellite provider though in hughesnet. whatever you do avoid them. i paid $200 for installation, $100/m for 1.5mb down/256kbps up. and only allowed 1gb a day. on a 2 year contract and my speeds never reached that. $400 to break contract and about $400-$500 to replace the transmitter if it gets blown off your roof/pole during a storm. for comparison of how shitty that is i currently pay $30/m for cable that gets 10mb download speeds... with free installation lol. and it pretty much always operates at max speed. if you dont mind not being able to do important raid roles or playing at all on some week nights (peak usage hours) and paying a ton of money then i guess go for it Tongue. also wifi hotspots are essentially the same technology but with less stable connections for gaming. i tried other games on satellite and they actually performed a bit better. WoW wasnt laggy at all or spikey (but the game itself is boring as shit) and swtor was only bad during peak satellite hours. i consider myself to be better than 99.9% of ddo players so i got by most of the time. (basing this after playing once i had cable and was unkillable and led everyone in kills everywhere. suck it naysayers)

Well, when you play for two years as an average player who basically has to predict the future when playing, when you finally catch up to the rest of the world tech-wise, you notice your response time is godly.

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

PlaidPooka
DQ Assaulter

Fuckity-fuck-fuck

Reply #28 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jul 19th, 2012 at 12:46pm:
Tons of DSL sellers will tell you that they can give you access, 90% of them are lying. Figure out how far you are from your CO. Typically service levels will start degrading after 9,000ft and drop off completely sometime after 22,000ft (line conditions can lower these significantly.)

Sometimes you can get a decent deal on a T1 and share it with neighbors that will help split the costs.

An excellent point, and one I noticed while doing my research.  We will deffinately check it out.  So far I have found only one company that says they cover this house, and they use booster boxes.  They tell me that they can give us their highest speed service at this address, but I will make sure to find out how far we would be from the source.

I also looked into the T1.  If it was just a matter of running the line we'd pay for it.  But in this area, the companies all want to charge 400-600 a month for service.  And there just aren't many neighbors.

Tarrant can suck my boobies.  On second thought, they are far too soft and supple for the likes of him.  Tarrant, you can GFY while having hopeless pathetic dreams of my boobies.

IP Logged

Zhalian
Dragon Raider

Drama is best served fresh.

Reply #29 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
I'm a half hour drive from the nearest city so the actual CO is quite a ways away, they use booster boxes as well and while my uplink is terrible (25-40 kps) the download isn't so bad (250-400 kbps) now I know if you have fiber that sounds terrible but for where I live its pretty good.  Interestingly I've heard numerous times that its better than what most get in town (the phone lines are just horrible in town, they put in new fiber telephone lines to us a few years ago) so line quality is the deciding factor it seems.

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.
- Mel Brooks

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Sprint will actually be really good for Internet gaming. They don't have capped downloads and their their speeds are comparable to many cable providers. It sounds like this is your best option. I know people whose entire family uses Sprint for everything and they never notice any latency. Granted they are gamers but I am pretty sure after a few people using Netflix and others browsing the webs it would be noticeable if the latency was horrible.

IP Logged

kmack
Shroud Slacker

Reply #31 - Jul 21st, 2012 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Jul 21st, 2012 at 1:05pm:
Sprint will actually be really good for Internet gaming. They don't have capped downloads and their their speeds are comparable to many cable providers. It sounds like this is your best option. I know people whose entire family uses Sprint for everything and they never notice any latency. Granted they are gamers but I am pretty sure after a few people using Netflix and others browsing the webs it would be noticeable if the latency was horrible.

Again, this is only true if you are using Sprint's towers. Sprint has a horrid network and relies heavily upon cross carrier roaming. Their "unlimited" is not unlimited when using other providers towers. However if you are lucky enough to be in an area where you have solid access to a Sprint tower then this would definitely be your best option at this time.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

Reply #32 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I used way more than 5g last month roaming off a Verizon tower.  No extra charges on my bill.

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #33 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Smrti wrote on Jul 20th, 2012 at 5:47am:
Well, when you play for two years as an average player who basically has to predict the future when playing, when you finally catch up to the rest of the world tech-wise, you notice your response time is godly.

lol fuck you and your back handed compliments! 95% pre cable. at least! just unreliable. hahaha

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint