Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) How Update 14 was Presented to Turbine (Read 17081 times)
Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

How Update 14 was Presented to Turbine
Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:17pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: How Update 14 was Presented to Turbine
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 9:46am
Print Post  
It's not the bugs that were the problem with U14 or U15. 

U14 took an end game that was comprised of the following quest chains:

eVon (6 quests- 1 a raid)
eDQ (5 quests - 1 a raid)
LoB/eLoB (2 Raids)
ToD (1 raid)
Shroud (1 raid)
eFens (4 quests)
ePhiarlan (4 quests)
eSentinels (4 quests)
eChrono (1 Quest, 1 raid) (including eDA in here)
Cannith Challenges (8 or 9)
eWebofChaos (4 quests)

With a few items from VoD, Hound, Reavers (upgraded), and Abbott (upgraded) being mildly interesting.

That is 7 raids, 11-14 adventure packs and 4 more raids in the mildly interesting category.

All that loot, plus anything you could craft with the current crafting system was surpassed by loot gen in level 21-25.

(WIth a few execptions like eSoS, eRoSS, Chrono set, Claw Set, etc)

Leaving your end game to be: eEveningstar, eSschindlryn, eDemonWeb, CiTW.  Basically 3 quest chains and 1 raid.  And a handful of challenges.  The raid being the worst raid for loot and gameplay yet.  (I might rate it above Titan, but that's it.  And I HATE Titan.)

So you effectively wiped out 70% of your end game.  You also killed TR'ing with the ED's.  And the ED grinding is way more boring and monotonous than TR'ing.  It basically consists of speed running one of three or four quests that give 6k per min returns over and over and over and over.

U15 quests just suck.  The first two aren't bad, but the last two are hardly playable.  It's not bugs, it's bad gameplay.

Every other expansion/pack has increased the size of end game.  This one shrunk it dramatically.

They need to make ML 23-24 versions of all the Epic loot from eVon, eDQ, eFens, eChrono, ePhilarian, eSentinels, ane eChaos and give you a way to upgrade existing ML20 epics to the higher version when you get something only obtainable by running EE content.  Do the same with the Cannith Challenges.  Add another tier that takes the items up a notch to ML 22-24.

I have no problem with some grind when it is varied and there is a lot of different things to do.  When you make it so narrow, that gets boring quick.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Ash,

It was a joke. Way to kill it.

-Smrti

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

ranncore
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 9:46am:

LoB/eLoB (2 Raids)
ToD (1 raid)
Shroud (1 raid)
eFens (4 quests)
ePhiarlan (4 quests)
eSentinels (4 quests)
eWebofChaos (4 quests)

With a few items from VoD, Hound, Reavers (upgraded), and Abbott (upgraded) being mildly interesting.

That is 7 raids, 11-14 adventure packs and 4 more raids in the mildly interesting category.

All that loot, plus anything you could craft with the current crafting system was surpassed by loot gen in level 21-25.

Leaving your end game to be: eEveningstar, eSschindlryn, eDemonWeb, CiTW.  Basically 3 quest chains and 1 raid.  And a handful of challenges.  The raid being the worst raid for loot and gameplay yet.  (I might rate it above Titan, but that's it.  And I HATE Titan.)

So you effectively wiped out 70% of your end game.  You also killed TR'ing with the ED's.  And the ED grinding is way more boring and monotonous than TR'ing.  It basically consists of speed running one of three or four quests that give 6k per min returns over and over and over and over.

U15 quests just suck.  The first two aren't bad, but the last two are hardly playable.  It's not bugs, it's bad gameplay.

Every other expansion/pack has increased the size of end game.  This one shrunk it dramatically.

They need to make ML 23-24 versions of all the Epic loot from eVon, eDQ, eFens, eChrono, ePhilarian, eSentinels, ane eChaos and give you a way to upgrade existing ML20 epics to the higher version when you get something only obtainable by running EE content.  Do the same with the Cannith Challenges.  Add another tier that takes the items up a notch to ML 22-24.

I have no problem with some grind when it is varied and there is a lot of different things to do.  When you make it so narrow, that gets boring quick.

long time lurker here this is my second post. reading this was good enough to make me register and suggest that you bring this to the official forums. it's a very good point.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
ranncore wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 12:53pm:
long time lurker here this is my second post. reading this was good enough to make me register and suggest that you bring this to the official forums. it's a very good point.

No need, They will know easilly enough, actually they might already know.
I didn't see one of the QA Kobold doing his morning reading over his coffee, but that doesn't mean he didn't come.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Wanna make sure they read it?  break it out to a separate thread and change the title to include the word 'exploit'.

with a few exceptions (mouser's reply to gawna the other day), that's their only interest in being here.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
The QA people, and the forum mods read this site. The devs and Project Leads do not. The information gets to Turbine, but not to people that are in any position to do anything about it.

QA Person: I read on the Vault about a way to improve game play.
Turbine Exec: Didn't you say they were a bunch of hackers that hurt your feelers by decompiling the code and showing you how we fucked up ________ (insert WF/Treasure tables/handwraps). Now suddenly they are giving good tips?
QA Person: I am going home sick.
Cordovan: I am banning 5 random vault goers for making devs look stupid.
Tolero: Does this outfit make me look like a teenage boy?
Everyone: Yes.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 9:46am:

LoB/eLoB (2 Raids)
ToD (1 raid)
Shroud (1 raid)
eFens (4 quests)
ePhiarlan (4 quests)
eSentinels (4 quests)
eWebofChaos (4 quests)

That was pointed out by multiple folks in multiple threads in beta. We got the equivalent of 'suck it'.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 2:28pm:
The QA people, and the forum mods read this site. The devs and Project Leads do not. The information gets to Turbine, but not to people that are in any position to do anything about it.

QA Person: I read on the Vault about a way to improve game play.
Turbine Exec: Didn't you say they were a bunch of hackers that hurt your feelers by decompiling the code and showing you how we fucked up ________ (insert WF/Treasure tables/handwraps). Now suddenly they are giving good tips?
QA Person: I am going home sick.
Cordovan: I am banning 5 random vault goers for making devs look stupid.
Tolero: Does this outfit make me look like a teenage boy?
Everyone: Yes.
Cordovan: Oh god, that's hot.

FTFY

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That was pointed out by multiple folks in multiple threads in beta. We got the equivalent of 'suck it'.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:

That isn't what beta is for. Beta is to show you some bad things that get fixed to cover up all the bad things they don't show you and just release directly into production.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 3:22pm:
That isn't what beta is for. Beta is to show you some bad things that get fixed to cover up all the bad things they don't show you and just release directly into production.

The like to surprize... er, I mean supplies you.

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:04pm
Print Post  

Yep.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:04pm:

Yep.

So… how do you plan on making this happen?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Ahh yes, farming the same old content for gear because you have to live off of past content.  If Turbine would only hire people that could design content and gear then you wouldn't have to resort to powering up old content all the time, pretty pathetic really.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #15 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:24pm
Print Post  

Yep.

Makes sense.

A similar mechanism to Stormreaver and Abbot would be nice. Nobody is going to want the "Mark of the Elite Zephyr Blade" diluting the loot tables.

edit: Could even be incremental upgrades. 20->22 for one macguffin, 22-24 for two macguffins, 24-25 for three macguffins... etc..
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:27pm by Glenalth »  
IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #16 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:28pm
Print Post  

Yep.

I would say yes to this, except we know who is doing items these days. So now I say no thank you.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #17 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:28pm:
I would say yes to this, except we know who is doing items these days. So now I say no thank you.

You just dont want 6 items on you giving +7 con.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Osharan Tregarth
Horoluth Raider

I'm an ass... Deal with
it.

Reply #18 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:38pm:

I only have 3!!!

I'm the 'sharans(Osharan, Asharan, Osharina, Asharina, etc.) And Epoxy.� And Notverysexy.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #19 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 7:30pm
Print Post  

Yep.

Yes dear, with some slots in the Fens stuff while you are at it.

I'd offer to beseige Turbine with burning pitchforks for you but I'm the wrong side of the ocean.... Sad

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 9:32pm
Print Post  

Yep.

Well, you've already got the scroll/seal/shard components. Hows about 20,22,24 versions, with the dif dropping the equivalent whole-cloth? Satisfies the 'must have nao' whiners, and rewards time spent playing if you're the type that actively tries to stretch out the game.

IP Logged

Smrti
VoD Slasher

I Am Fooling No One

Reply #21 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:24pm:
Makes sense.

A similar mechanism to Stormreaver and Abbot would be nice. Nobody is going to want the "Mark of the Elite Zephyr Blade" diluting the loot tables.

edit: Could even be incremental upgrades. 20->22 for one macguffin, 22-24 for two macguffins, 24-25 for three macguffins... etc..

Everyone loves MacGuffins.

Munkenmo wrote on Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:41pm:
All hail Smrti.

Felgor wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 11:18pm:
Fuck Australia.

rev Jim wrote on Sep 12th, 2012 at 8:40am:
I wish I was a rich black woman sometimes........

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #22 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 6:38pm:

Correct. I think 5 is enough.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #23 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 10:09pm:
Correct. I think 5 is enough.

Well yeah.  How else are we supposed to slot all of our +2 Insightful Constitution items?

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Oct 4th, 2012 at 1:34am
Print Post  

Yep.

Im just saying yes we know. Im not saying how we deal with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint