Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) What has Turbine done right with DDO? (Read 22325 times)
Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

What has Turbine done right with DDO?
Nov 4th, 2012 at 9:15am
Print Post  
What features of DDO has Turbine implemented/delivered really well?

IP Logged

GreyMouser
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: What has Turbine done right with DDO?
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 9:32am
Print Post  
This is the internet, people don't talk about positives.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 9:42am
Print Post  
They rejected my paypal payment for the expansion, leading me to write a PM to someone on the official forums discussing the issues I was having with their customer service and asking for some help on their end.  This was before I became a troll on the forums, and was an active positive presence that had spent a good amount of money.  No response led me to only log in one more time to the game, giving away all my stuff and uninstalling.

I'm not going to work that hard to hand them money.  Overall I think that was probably the best thing that turbine did for me.

On a more serious comment.
1.) By dropping PvP fully from the game and Dev care, they were able to have the best character creation of any game.  Without PvP balance they could do alot more, and make character planning a whole game in itself.
2.) The questing mechanism told some pretty good stories in parts.  I think this could have been executed in a better way, but the system itself is still ahead of any game ive played.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 9:46am
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 9:32am:

Go home, it's Sunday *cuddles*

I like the instances, a lot - wish that most of the earlier stuff could be scaled so you don't miss it when passing through and can play whenever. The active combat, too. Nothing MMOish has come close to the feeling of the dungeons in DDO. I'm not a fan of collecting rat tails, so that's the main draw for me, I guess. The flexibility of the character design system is a big  pull too.

I am a casual player these days due to time constraints but I will probably be here now and then until they turn off the lights, annoying bugs notwithstanding.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 9:52am
Print Post  
1) Instances
2) I love the First Person Shooter feel of DDO.  It's a first person shooter on my Wizard and a First Person Melee on my Monk and my Fighter.
3) Good story.  There could be more tie-ins and I'd be happier, but it's still good overall.
4) Good difficulty spread - some mind numbingly easy quests, some fairly challenging quests.  Keeping a range of difficulties available at every level is MUCH better than trying to make each and every quest appeal to one demographic.
5) Alternative paths to success in a quest - you can be sneaky or you can kill everything in the quest.  I'm sad that there isn't more of this in DDO.

fnord

IP Logged

Bill Z Bubb
Boobies Controller

I only know three chords!

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 9:54am
Print Post  
GreyMouser wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 9:32am:

DDO Players could talk about positives, but since Turbine's corporate motto is "Ignore the players, they're doing it wrong -and- they're the enemy", there's little point in being positive.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 10:06am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 9:52am:
2) I love the First Person Shooter feel of DDO.  It's a first person shooter on my Wizard and a First Person Melee on my Monk and my Fighter.

Except in FPSs you don't get a "not facing" error when you try to fire a weapon and you're 10% away from your target.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Well, position still matters more than sitting down, playing piano, and letting your stats talk for you in about half the content, so there's that.

Up till this latest guy, they did understand that item-motivation thrived best when it was balanced for how long it took you to get the thing, not some arbitrary level score. Didn't always do the best job, but they sure as hell seemed to try at least.

The random encounters system they did with kings forest was a great tech-example, and if they run with it more than as a one time gimmick, that could breathe a shit-ton into the replay value (bonus points if they slap those in while reviewing enhancements vs quests as they relate to the levels you actually get them at).

A monk doesn't play like a fighter doesn't play like a barb, doesn't play like a rogue unless you're:
a- retarded and getting carried
b- beat the snot out of the system and bypassed the dice entirely (One of the reasons I get so damned twitchy about that. Getting easier to do. Not a total loss yet though.).

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:09am
Print Post  
They reboot the servers when the game is really screwed up.

That is a positive, isn't it?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

karatekid
Self-Proclaimed Puppy Farmer

Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:28am
Print Post  
cdr wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 10:06am:
Except in FPSs you don't get a "not facing" error when you try to fire a weapon and you're 10% away from your target.

This response to Popejubal is a perfect microcosm of what's wrong with DDO - they implement good ideas/mechanics at the overall big-picture level then don't take the time to ensure the details actually work out well. 

It's what frustrates me the most - the game could be SO much better, but the dev team appears content with putting out mediocre to poor quality.

I still play; but due to this, I'm spending no more TP until I see some attention to detail... well, that and 15.2 completely broke the store to the point I couldn't buy TP if I wanted to.  Bug report got standard reply and nothing more - again - totally uncaring about details.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:31am
Print Post  
karatekid wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:28am:
This response to Popejubal is a perfect microcosm of what's wrong with DDO - they implement good ideas/mechanics at the overall big-picture level then don't take the time to ensure the details actually work out well. 

It's what frustrates me the most - the game could be SO much better, but the dev team appears content with putting out mediocre to poor quality.

I still play; but due to this, I'm spending no more TP until I see some attention to detail... well, that and 15.2 completely broke the store to the point I couldn't buy TP if I wanted to.  Bug report got standard reply and nothing more - again - totally uncaring about details.

I'm 100% in agreement with fco-karatekid, unfortunately.  I haven't played DDO since early September and I'm very sad to say that I really don't miss what I was playing for the last 9 months or so. 

I listed the things that I like about DDO because that's what this thread was started for.  Those things are enough to make DDO almost outstanding.  Unfortunately, the "almost" is big enough that other activities have stolen my attention away from DDO.

fnord

IP Logged

Nope
Dragon Raider

Nada

Reply #11 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:09am:
They reboot the servers when the game is really screwed up.

That is a positive, isn't it?

lies.  if it was true, the servers would be in a constant state of reboot.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
It's D&D.  If it wasn't nobody would bother with it or care.

IP Logged

Carpone
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:19pm:

Are you saying that people play DDO mostly due to the strength/attraction of D&D, or that Turbine has done their job well with implementing D&D as an MMO?

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #14 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Carpone wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:30pm:
Are you saying that people play DDO mostly due to the strength/attraction of D&D, or that Turbine has done their job well with implementing D&D as an MMO?

The first part.

The more "MMO" they add to D&D the worse the game gets.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #15 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:19pm:

That's certainly why I jumped into the game in 2009.

"Holy shit, there's a Dungeons and Dragons MMO?  And I don't have to pay for it?"

...turns out that I did pay for it, but the fact that I didn't *have* to made it a lot more tempting.

fnord

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 1:56pm
Print Post  

It really is the single thing that drives me the most bat-shit, yeah.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #17 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
It used to be D&D...

Nowadays I'm just playing it because of friends, as the links left to D&D shrink with every update.
( any edition prior and including 3.5... 4th is a WoW thingie made PnP and doesn't deserve being called D&D  )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

TWDiggs
Mr. Infraction

Reply #18 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
DDO is a great game but Turbine is fucking retarded and is hell bent on destroying it.

stainer wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
Everyday that you aren't banned, is a borrowed day.

Grace wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 8:31pm:
Well, you're a godless heathen, anyway. I would totally wear my rape whistle around you.
YIM  
IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #19 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I didn't come into it because of D and D, I've never played PnP, but it gave it the brand recognition since I'd played Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, and most of the other D and D games out there. I would never have joined on spec were it not initially free to play, though.

IP Logged

cdr
Horoluth Raider

sleetstormer

Reply #20 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 2:39pm
Print Post  

The lack of polish/follow-up drives me nuts too.

A good recent example is the new LFM system. No one was asking for it and Turbine spent a ton of developer time on it, but it did end up with a couple better features than the old system. But there's at least a dozen minor bugs with it which just make it kind of miserable. And that's not even mentioning the major bugs, like the balyhooed "teleport instantly to public group" never working.

IP Logged

ranncore
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
-True action combat
-Bosses that stand still

Pick one and only one.
Also: paralyzed, stunned and tripped mobs that move around, you are not facing xxx, abilities that go off and do nothing - you name it, if it can be broken, in DDO, it is. Don't even get me started on Lolth's hit box.
Maybe in 2004, DDO cut it for True Action combat. But today, giving an enemy a no-fail concentration check and infinite SP to make him challenging instead of giving him decent AI is retarded.

I hate to break it to you, but anyone who is going to leave DDO for any reason already has. So why would they bother fixing anything else? The people who are still playing DDO are going to be paying for whatever shit Turbine shovels down their throat next, no matter how terrible the quality is going to be.

Want true action combat? I'm beta testing RaiderZ right now, and it's AWESOME. All the targeting is done with a reticle. You can't hit Tab to find your next target - you have to AIM at it. You can't hit F5 to target your party member for a heal - you have to AIM it. The spellcasting and combat is SO MUCH more fluid, natural, and fun. The largest part of an individuals survivability is dodging and maneuvering. Bosses are huge (but don't have retarded hit boxes!), fun to fight, a variety of skills used to dodge or block attacks.  Frankly, the combat in it is so fun that I would play through then entire game if it were only just a single player action adventure game, with a set amount of abilities and gear to pick up. Luckily, tho, it has a diverse multi-classing sytem, 35 levels to customize your character through (40 plannned), tons of gear, fun PvP, the works. I have a pure cleric, but I'm planning on splashing in some Sorc for SP regen, and I'm making a 17defender/ 17bezerker/ 1cleric.

I really only started playing to test it out because Neverwinter Online is going to be using a similar targeting and combat system. I expected to hop on, throw a few heals around to get a feel for it, and uninstall. But it is FUN. Now I'm spending time at the character planner and mapping out the gear I'll be using.

Oh, and did I mention it's not full of Pay 2 Win bullshit? There's no mana pots for sale at the store, you don't have to grind a mission a gazzillion times to level up or break down and buy XP enhancers, they don't charge for any classes or abilities, and they don't charge for any access to any content or equipment.

And yeah, it's in beta - I expected it to have at least as many bugs as DDO - but it doesn't even come close.
The level of quality control, customer service, planning and implementation at Turbine is just not what anyone should expect from a professional software company.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:21pm by ranncore »  

IP Logged

ranncore
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Oh and I almost forgot - LFMs - the only thing that makes finding a party hard in RaiderZ right now is there are SO MANY people looking for groups that the chat screen flies by unbelievably fast. Any dungeon or boss I want to partake in - I just run up to it, there's always 4-7 instances and tons of parties forming in every one of them.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Wow, 4 classes in RaiderZ. Going totally to play that game.
Wait... there comes Turbine with another shovel full of shit for me...RaiderZ must wait,sorry.

- I never played before an MMO. Why DDO?

1) It has the D&D, and if you play casual, lvls 1 to 10 are a lot of fun.
2) It is f2p
3) I really like the enhancement system.
4) ...
5) Profit

IP Logged

ranncore
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
I can't even tell if you're joking. Levels 1-10? IF you play casual? It's free and it has Dungeons and Dragons in the title?
I've played the game man - and if I wanted to advertise it - which I don't, because it's a piece of shit - that's not the way I would describe it.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2012 at 4:32pm by ranncore »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint