Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Interesting Analysis (Read 7293 times)
Azog
Ex Member

Re: Interesting Analysis
Reply #25 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 4:56am
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Dec 6th, 2012 at 4:42am:
how does one go "beyond the walls"? I've been in several places in this game that were unintended for players to travel, and even outside of the wall. (There use to be a place in House J you could use to go through the wall) and every time I've done so I was stopped by the end of the instance. So if you could show me a video of how you do it, or at least explain this concept then I would appreciate it. Otherwise it sounds like you're talking out of your ass.

I think in youtube there is a video how to go to the place where you can enter the open world.
I am not trolling now. I have seen something like that, or some screen shots.

IP Logged

Rodrak
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 6:06am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Dec 5th, 2012 at 5:53pm:
Honestly, you only have to explain how little code an active combat closed world instanced dungeon MMO shares with an open world standard combat MMO to someone who wouldn't fucking understand in the first place.  Using the fact that LOTRO released with an AH and mail as some proof that DDO was the trial run for LOTRO is such a ludicrous argument when every f'n MMO has an AH and a mail system.  LOTRO was a hot property and was tooted as a WOW killer when it was being released a year and 2 month after DDO when at the time DDO looked like an abject failure.

That's not true. The engine is very similar. The games don't have to be similar at all. For example Dark Ages of Camelot and Skyrim both use some version of Gamebryo/Netimmerse engine, while being completely different games (same with unreal engine and many others). That makes porting stuff from lotro to ddo (or the other way) not that hard.

Years ago, when someone mentioned that lotro defrag tool for the first time, out of curiosity I downloaded lotro's client to see if my (very crappy at the time) ddo viewer will work with it. It was a failure but only partial. The file types/resource types/definitions' structure were all exactly the same. Even some DIDs were exactly the same. When I tried to read/parse the files I found out the base data definitions are different and decided it's not worth to spend a couple of hours to get it working (for a crappy game that I won't ever play).

IP Logged

Allo
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 6:28am
Print Post  
mystafyi wrote on Dec 5th, 2012 at 7:47pm:
funny how the lotro utilities, skins and database management work(some dont anymore) with ddo. There are many differences in the game systems that have been changed over time, but the underlying engine for lotro and ddo are the same, and were based upon Asheron call's engine.

on similiar note, lotro's mac port was being worked on the same time as ddo's with both hitting the streets about the same time.

close. from what ive been told lotro's is an "improved version" of ddo's, which makes it difficult for them to bring some of their tech back to this game. would love their cosmetic system. basically ddo -> lotro easy, lotro -> ddo hard.

and we can go beyond the wall. i only know of like two spots they havent fixed and im definitely not posting them. the world is like a huge, boring desert between areas. you can see what the "world" looks like if you drop to the bottom of von2, past the automatic portal thresold

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint