Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Re: neverwinter (Read 102717 times)
Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Re: neverwinter
Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:33am:
1.  Class's is not a word.  I'm not saying that you're using the wrong form, or that you're using some sort of slang.  I'm saying that it simply isn't a word.
2.  Guy's is a possessive.  Nothing here belongs to the guy.
3.  Guna is also not a word.
4.  Im is also not a word.  The contraction for "I am" is I'm, not im.
5.  Guna is still not a word.
6.  Rouge is a color.  Rogue is the class.
7.  Horribad is also not a word.
8.  Interest's is a possessive.  Your interest can't own anything.

Those eight errors were in three sentences, and I'm ignoring the fact that nothing was capitalized when plenty of things should have been.  You are ridiculous.

Your teacher obviously did not have the class's undivided attention. Otherwise, I hear you. The kid should spend a little more time ransacking his english book.

« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:00am by Gunga »  

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:58am:
Your teacher obviously did not have the class' undivided attention. Otherwise, I hear you. The kid should spend a little more time ransacking his english book.

FIFY
While class's is widely considered an acceptable form, it is technically incorrect.
Think: ain't. For years and years it was never a word, but it was widely accepted as one regardless.  But just because it was widely accepted didn't make it correct.  Same goes here for class's.
Singular possessive: class'
Plural possessive: classes'
In the form he meant to use it: classes
Wink
Persiflage wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:43am:
Spelling-and-syntax-based drama: this forum is fucking awesome.

But actually I think I'll just sit here and watch, reflecting on the fact that it's face-rockingly amazeballs (Grin) to be on a forum where you don't get infractions for linguistic pedantry, it really is.

Well the point of this thread was asinine.  He's asking for a beta key for a game that enters OPEN beta tomorrow morning.  There's nothing left to do here but be a Grammar Nazi.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2013 at 7:00pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 2:01am
Print Post  
deftest wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:35am:
overbearing narcisism

Edited:
Hey, fuckface.  Cool with drunk dialing the Vault with a bunch of blank fucking lines.  Strakeln pays me to be nice so thanks for your on-going contribution to the Vault.  Love and squelching until you take your meds, Gawna
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:08pm by »  

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Wujoh isn't even taking English yet, he's still in Language Arts.  You may think this is a crack at his fucking awful sentence structure, but he's really like 4 years old.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Persiflage wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 4:43am:
Spelling-and-syntax-based drama: this forum is fucking awesome.

Now, which side to weigh in on?  Do I go with the proposition that any written communication which adequately conveyed its meaning was a successful one, in true "any landing you walk away from was a good one" fashion? 

Alternately, do I base my argument on the point that any poorly-written communication where a little thought would obviously have clarified matters is a snub to the reader, indicating a fundamental lack of respect for other participants in the conversation?

Or perhaps I should nitpick all sides.  I could make the point that easily-understood neologisms - particularly concatenations such as "horribad" - are a widespread, if sometimes inelegant, method of communicating emphasis.  I could note that "rouge" is a colour only in French and is a cosmetic in the English-speaking world.  Then I could deplore the over-use of ellipses in the respondent's post and finish off by noting that any post diverging too far from the standard of its root language is likely to be nigh-incomprehensible to readers who are not 100% fluent in said language.

But actually I think I'll just sit here and watch, reflecting on the fact that it's face-rockingly amazeballs (Grin) to be on a forum where you don't get infractions for linguistic pedantry, it really is.

As you were.

Given the way this post was written, I think we can all guess which side you weigh in on.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Milton
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
My First impression of the game is that the rooting in place to use your even basic abilities hardy seems like "action combat" to me.

Very annoying, completely removes any flow the combat would have.

Don't know if it gets removed at a later level though... we'll see.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
It doesn't.  The developers felt that combat felt too floaty with freedom of movement, and it was particularly a problem with ranged characters.  They said that this gives a feeling of impact (which it does) and that it imposes a risk vs. reward choice (which it also does).
You get used to it.  It's tougher with casters at first because they want distance, but when you're with a party and don't have everything focusing on you it's easier to manage.
I don't particularly like it, but I don't hate it either.
I'd suggest a melee at first (rogue or fighter) until you get used to it.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:31pm by Cale »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
I have several beta keys. The thought of giving them to you sickens me.
Thanks though.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Apr 29th, 2013 at 6:46pm:
FIFY
While class's is widely considered an acceptable form, it is technically incorrect.
Think: ain't. For years and years it was never a word, but it was widely accepted as one regardless.  But just because it was widely accepted didn't make it correct.  Same goes here for class's.
Singular possessive: class'
Plural possessive: classes'
In the form he meant to use it: classes
Wink
Well the point of this thread was asinine.  He's asking for a beta key for a game that enters OPEN beta tomorrow morning.  There's nothing left to do here but be a Grammar Nazi.

I respectfully disagree.

Reference:

http://www.englishrules.com/writing/2005/possessive-form-of-singular-nouns-endin...

The reference list includes Strunk & White's Elements of Style.  Strunk and White are the shit.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #9 - May 1st, 2013 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:54pm:
I respectfully disagree.

Reference:

http://www.englishrules.com/writing/2005/possessive-form-of-singular-nouns-endin...

The reference list includes Strunk & White's Elements of Style.  Strunk and White are the shit.

The 's is used when a word ends in s if the s is silent.
Example: Illinois's instead of Illinois'
But if the s is not silent, an apostrophy without an s is the correct form.

But there are many differing rules on the subject.  Everyone seems to agree to disagree.
I can link things as well.
Here are three different "rules" on it.  These three, along with the one you linked, are the first four results of a Google search.

Regardless of any of that, he was asking which classes we were planning on playing, and "class's" is nowhere near correct in that sentence.

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #10 - May 1st, 2013 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Started playing last night...meh

Frog on all servers, but Cannith is home.

IP Logged

wujoh
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - May 1st, 2013 at 9:09am
Print Post  
i love the game, just not the queue. there is 202808 people ahead of me in line -.-
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2013 at 9:09am by wujoh »  

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #12 - May 1st, 2013 at 9:58am
Print Post  
I'm sure once i figure it out and get into the swing of things it will be fine. Then I'll cancel my ddo sub and switch. And the queue sucks ass...an hour to log in last night after dload'n it and creating a toon

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - May 1st, 2013 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:30pm:
It doesn't.  The developers felt that combat felt too floaty with freedom of movement, and it was particularly a problem with ranged characters.  They said that this gives a feeling of impact (which it does) and that it imposes a risk vs. reward choice (which it also does).
You get used to it.  It's tougher with casters at first because they want distance, but when you're with a party and don't have everything focusing on you it's easier to manage.
I don't particularly like it, but I don't hate it either.
I'd suggest a melee at first (rogue or fighter) until you get used to it.

I agree with that, it takes some time getting used to but the combat actually feels pretty good, and even more action-gamey than DDO (I love DDO's combat but to be fair most of the time it was just down to kiting unless you played a melee). It's not extremely punishing, but you still feel like you need to plan everything out at least a tiny bit (on a CW that is) unless you want to end up chain chugging pots (which have a... 12 sec cooldown unless I'm not mistaken?) due to the fact that you need to stand still quite a bit, and most mobs just outrun you and keep stabbing you in the back till you're dead if you try to run away Grin

The UI and game mechanics seem pretty slick and well done to me, what I dislike though are the grouping features, baffles me that with its 90's throwback UI DDO still has some of the best grouping functions around Huh The queue thing feels too random and slow, and manual grouping is a pain.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 1st, 2013 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
OMG SWEEEEEEEEEEEEZ WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Gawna

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - May 1st, 2013 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Deep in the bowels of betrayal that is called singleplayer! Smiley Cheesy Undecided Wink or whatever the hell the combo was

Sounds like a bad masturbation joke Huh

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - May 1st, 2013 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Actually now that I think about it there are no bad masturbation jokes

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #17 - May 2nd, 2013 at 8:06am
Print Post  
sweez wrote on May 1st, 2013 at 12:32pm:
The UI and game mechanics seem pretty slick and well done to me, what I dislike though are the grouping features, baffles me that with its 90's throwback UI DDO still has some of the best grouping functions around Huh The queue thing feels too random and slow, and manual grouping is a pain.

They have custom channels, too (aside from guilds as well), so when you start making friends and finding players you like it will become much, much easier to manually group without the random factor.

As I was saying in another thread, the game isn't great, but it isn't horrible either.
The Foundry is what is going to give it longevity.  All the custom content that will come out of it will basically make it feel like a new update has dropped any time you want it.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2013 at 8:13am by Cale »  

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - May 2nd, 2013 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 2nd, 2013 at 8:06am:
They have custom channels, too (aside from guilds as well), so when you start making friends and finding players you like it will become much, much easier to manually group without the random factor.

So basically, I'm doomed? Cheesy

IP Logged

Aqualung
Ex Member

Reply #19 - May 2nd, 2013 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Cryptic will screw it up and then give it away, just like Champions.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - May 3rd, 2013 at 8:46am
Print Post  
So they were supposed to have a maintenance today, but the servers crashed yesterday, and they did the maintenance while the servers were offline Cheesy

As someone who played Turbine's game for quite a while, my first reaction was "THEY CAN DO THAT?!" Grin

IP Logged

Luxgolg
Shroud Slacker

So many bugs

Reply #21 - May 3rd, 2013 at 8:52am
Print Post  
sweez wrote on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:46am:
So they were supposed to have a maintenance today, but the servers crashed yesterday, and they did the maintenance while the servers were offline Cheesy

As someone who played Turbine's game for quite a while, my first reaction was "THEY CAN DO THAT?!" Grin

Thats what they did? Every Perfectworld game went offline last night.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #22 - May 3rd, 2013 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
So, I tried out Neverwinter.  Played on Dragon for about two hours.  I'm level 5 or 6.  Leveling seems to happen automatically.  And easily.  I only ran 5-7 quests. 

How many levels are there?

I started out level 1 as a Fighter with like 650ish HP.  My damage is also seeming to be amped up.  I do 30's or so base and upwards of the 90's to 100's on some of my lunges.

It does feel and look very much like Dragon Age:Origins to me.  The character builds seem very much bland.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - May 3rd, 2013 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Luxgolg wrote on May 3rd, 2013 at 8:52am:
Thats what they did? Every Perfectworld game went offline last night.

Well, the server crash wasn't planned, but it's nice that they then crammed the maintenance into that downtime

Maybe it's regular business for normal mmo devs, but I'm still on Turbine time Cheesy

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - May 3rd, 2013 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Meh why can't I edit the post, wanted to add (OR WAS IT=!#!?!#?!) after "wasn't planned"

@asheras: 60 is cap atm, and yeah, right now there aren't really many build choices, should diversify after 30 once they add more paragon paths (atm each class just has the one), and all of it together doesn't really have that much in common with any d&d edition Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25
Send TopicPrint