Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Tips for new Neverwinter players (Read 67607 times)
stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Tips for new Neverwinter players
May 10th, 2013 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Strakeln is going to make Neverwinter Forum so I thought I would get the jump on making a thread. Feel free to add stuff in, as I predict some people will be jumping ship and coming over.

When leveling, have two cleric companions. Training times get longer and longer as they increase in rank. Alternate leveling them, so you don't have to wait 30 mins for your cleric to return.

Identify scrolls are bought from the AD vendor in the Protectors Enclave. If anyone knows where to buy them for gold, clue me in.

Identify scrolls come in 3 levels.

Bound reward items don't stack with unbound items. REALLY SUCKS WITH HEAL POTIONS. Limited bag space is limited.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Re: Tips for new Neverwinter players
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Another one

If you are running one of those find x number of items quests in a public instance and assfaces take the item before you get to it, rather than calling them a "item stealing son of a bitch" in zone chat and getting a warning from a GM for language, open the mini map and switch to an instance that doesn't have anyone in it.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2013 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Use chat outside of game. Not sure how useful this is, but it is available.

http://neverwinter-rp.com/forum/m/12531280/viewthread/6951035-connecting-to-in-g...

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2013 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 3:56pm:
Another one

If you are running one of those find x number of items quests in a public instance and assfaces take the item before you get to it, rather than calling them a "item stealing son of a bitch" in zone chat and getting a warning from a GM for language, open the mini map and switch to an instance that doesn't have anyone in it.

New Mini-quest.  Get 4-5 other players and follow stainer around and ninja loot shit before he can.  Quest yields no XP, some loot, and a whole lotta education on new curse words.  First quest officially rated NSFW and over 18 required.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2013 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
When in a group, be sure to pick up the quest that everyone else is on and complete any pre-req's.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2013 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 3:23pm:
Identify scrolls are bought from the AD vendor in the Protectors Enclave. If anyone knows where to buy them for gold, clue me in.

There aren't any for gold, but you'll soon have enough AD from dailies and invocations and selling stuff on AH so you won't really have to worry about that (you'll probably run out of gold faster than AD if you ever run without a cleric and don't buy retardedly stupid stuff on the AH  Cheesy )

Oh and also you can access the AD store from anywhere, just click on the diamond in the menu at the top of the screen, no need to look for the vendor (maybe you need to talko to him the first time but after that it's accessible from anywhere).

stainer wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 3:56pm:
Another one

For those quests, if you're having issues finding the last item, you can just relog and the one you just activated will respawn right in front of you Cheesy

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2013 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Dungeons are pointless during leveling unless you're doing it for AD and/or want to learn the layout, they give way too few xp/min. Skirmishes are also meh unless it's skirmish hour, in which case go for it.

Player characters actually take up space, unlike in DDO, and there's this weird new thing called physics, so you can shove off someone off a bridge into spikes in a few places Cheesy

If you have knockback spells/skills, you can also do that with mobs, but that's not as much fun.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2013 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
!"#!" I have an extra off

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2013 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
When you hit 60, unless you're completely allergic to it, run some PvP and get PvP gear, it's easily better than T1 epic gear for time and effort involved. If you have 4 other people, you can just /afk in PvP (you can do that with pugs too but they'll rage and often report you, no idea if anyone's been banned) and lose in 8 minutes for ~350 glory (otherwise it'll likely go on for 15 minutes). Most PvP items are 3-6k glory.

IP Logged

Jackknife of Sarlona
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2013 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I'm kind of confused about how looting in groups works. I know how the need/greed/pass option is, but how does the end chest work? Everybody in DDO gets some loot from each chest, but in NW, sometimes the end chest only has a couple of minor things or usually can't be interacted with after someone else looks.

So is it a shared chest for the entire group? Is somebody looting everything before I get to look, or just leaving some cash or pots? I know these are noob questions, but DDO is the only MMO I've ever played before.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - May 10th, 2013 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Jackknife of Sarlona wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 5:15pm:
I'm kind of confused about how looting in groups works. I know how the need/greed/pass option is, but how does the end chest work? Everybody in DDO gets some loot from each chest, but in NW, sometimes the end chest only has a couple of minor things or usually can't be interacted with after someone else looks.

So is it a shared chest for the entire group? Is somebody looting everything before I get to look, or just leaving some cash or pots? I know these are noob questions, but DDO is the only MMO I've ever played before.

There are 4 different lootables:

• the items you pick up from the floor
    • collectables, crafting mats and potions are looted automatically
    • wearable items and enchantments/runestones go for roll
    • epic seals and gear drop from required mini-bosses, sometimes from optional minibosses, and always from main bosses, they'll drop on top of the corpse, everyone gets their own seal, gear goes up for roll
  • the items you pick up from those loot piles that require some sort of skill or kit (thieving kit, arcane kit, whatever other names are) - those are looted automatically, but are only usable by the first player that attempts to loot them
  • the items from regular wooden chests - those are a bit all over the place
    • some wooden chests are like the piles above^, only one person can loot after which the chest becomes inactive, but loot goes for roll
    • some are lootable by each person, but you have to wait your turn, in that case I think you loot the stuff automatically
    • most people completely skip those in epic runs since they don't drop raid gear or seals or anything of the sort
  • big shiny golden chests that are at the end of each quest/skirmish/dungeon
    • in quests and skirmishes, they are always lootable and all the loot inside is yours (plus AD if it's skirmish hour)
    • in dungeons, they're only active if it's dungeon delve hour, in which case it has additional seals and chance for raid loot
    • unless it's epic throne of idris, in which case it's bugged and empty, so fuck you

PHEW

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - May 10th, 2013 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Oh in case it wasn't clear, if it's dungeon delve hour, the loot in the golden chest is yours and doesn't go up for a roll

Also all epic chests seem to be bugged currently and appear as empty, but when you loot them you still get the items, unless it's Idris

IP Logged

Jackknife of Sarlona
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - May 10th, 2013 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
sweez wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 6:01pm:
There are 4 different lootables:

• the items you pick up from the floor
    • collectables, crafting mats and potions are looted automatically
    • wearable items and enchantments/runestones go for roll
    • epic seals and gear drop from required mini-bosses, sometimes from optional minibosses, and always from main bosses, they'll drop on top of the corpse, everyone gets their own seal, gear goes up for roll
  • the items you pick up from those loot piles that require some sort of skill or kit (thieving kit, arcane kit, whatever other names are) - those are looted automatically, but are only usable by the first player that attempts to loot them
  • the items from regular wooden chests - those are a bit all over the place
    • some wooden chests are like the piles above^, only one person can loot after which the chest becomes inactive, but loot goes for roll
    • some are lootable by each person, but you have to wait your turn, in that case I think you loot the stuff automatically
    • most people completely skip those in epic runs since they don't drop raid gear or seals or anything of the sort
  • big shiny golden chests that are at the end of each quest/skirmish/dungeon
    • in quests and skirmishes, they are always lootable and all the loot inside is yours (plus AD if it's skirmish hour)
    • in dungeons, they're only active if it's dungeon delve hour, in which case it has additional seals and chance for raid loot
    • unless it's epic throne of idris, in which case it's bugged and empty, so fuck you

PHEW

Thanks. I wasn't sure how it worked, or what 'ninja looting' is. One of the bugged chests was in normal Idris. I'm not at epic yet, just lvl 44.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2013 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Ah, so guess it's screwed all over in there Cheesy

It's considered 'ninja looting' when someone rolls need on an item that's unusable by their class

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #14 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
sweez wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 6:21pm:
It's considered 'ninja looting' when someone rolls need on an item that's unusable by their class

Yeah, this seems to be a hot button issue at the moment.
On one hand if it's red for you, you can't use it so you definitely don't need it.
On the other hand if it's red for you, chances are that you have a companion that could use it, which means you can actually use it.
Both sides seem to be fighting mercilessly about it.

I am of the opinion that if it's red you should Pass or Greed it.  Never roll Need on a red.   You'll loot something for your shitty companion to wear soon enough, douchebag.  Leave it for someone that can actually use it.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #15 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 7:26pm:
I am of the opinion that if it's red you should Pass or Greed it.  Never roll Need on a red.   You'll loot something for your shitty companion to wear soon enough, douchebag.  Leave it for someone that can actually use it.

This.  I was in a party with a cleric who was rolling insanely and clicking need on everything, even when it was class restricted, non cleric gear.  It's definitely a dick-move.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #16 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Jackknife of Sarlona wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 5:15pm:

I've ran like 3 dungeons and every end chest has had nothing in it for me, it just says "good job but nothing for you asshat."

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #17 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Hmm I can't modify my previous post.

I was wondering why there were not two chests at the end of a dungeon. So basically no end chest unless it's dungeon hour and only 1 piece of loot will tend to drop from a boss, which goes for roll..

I don't quite get the need vs greed. seems like a lot of players not on a class that can use an item will select need rather than greed, even though the items or BOE and not BOA.

Is there any point to greed? I still see someone occasionally selecting it but mostly I see need/pass.

IP Logged

Jackknife of Sarlona
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Asketes wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 9:32pm:
Hmm I can't modify my previous post.

I was wondering why there were not two chests at the end of a dungeon. So basically no end chest unless it's dungeon hour and only 1 piece of loot will tend to drop from a boss, which goes for roll..

I don't quite get the need vs greed. seems like a lot of players not on a class that can use an item will select need rather than greed, even though the items or BOE and not BOA.

Is there any point to greed? I still see someone occasionally selecting it but mostly I see need/pass.

I just think the decent thing to do is roll need if it's a class item that I want and it's my level or will be soon, greed if it's not a class restricted item, and pass if I can't use it. But I do see a few people rolling need every time.

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #19 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
For those of us too old to deal with looking for the info WHAT FUCKING SERVER ARE YOU ON?? Wink

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #20 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Hordo wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 9:58pm:
For those of us too old to deal with looking for the info WHAT FUCKING SERVER ARE YOU ON?? Wink

Dragon is the new Khyber.
There are stragglers elsewhere, but most of us ended up on Dragon without any coordination to speak of.
I assume that most of the DnD players simply saw the word dragon and clicked it on instinct.

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #21 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Ahem.

Pardon my noobishness, but...

HOW THE FUCKING FUCK FUCKING FUCK FUCK FUCK DO YOU TURN OFF MOUSELOOK??????

FUCK!

/alreadynauseated

Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #22 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Hord. You Dont Need to To Worry About mouse Look To Pike And Go To The Store.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #23 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
You don't turn off mouselook.  Mouselook is one of the reasons they consider it skill based action style combat.

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #24 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 10:38pm:
You don't turn off mouselook.  Mouselook is one of the reasons they consider it skill based action style combat.

My problem with mouselook is that it gives me vertigo and migraines...note, this may be why I'm a 894579745th tier player instead of a 1st tier, but I can't really play if I'm having to throw up every few minutes...

Angry

Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Send TopicPrint