Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DDO Flavor bard (Read 3155 times)
onions
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

DDO Flavor bard
Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Hello all.

I am breeding about a flavor build and could need some input (other than, ''reroll noob!''). This build is not from a max. dps point of view, instead it should provide versatile combat abilities, like switching between melee and ranged, while using Fascinate for cc and solo support. I post the general idea, if it turns out to be ee viable I can figure out the details.

Race: Elf

Class: 12 Brd/ 6 Rgr/ 2 FvS

Elf for racial weapon training. Rapier/Longsword/Longbow line.

12 Brd for Spellsinger core musics, to get Fascinate for all trash mob types possible in DDO.

6 Rgr for Manyshot + add. TWF, skill points and favored enemy, some spells.

2 FvS for Divine Might. I wanted to level up CHA, but I guess I could get Fascinate DC high enough without max. CHA to amke everything pick noses in ee. So, assuming CHA dumped, with tome + items + augments it might be enough STR bonus anyway. Or not?

The idea is to make everything fascinated, then trust on dodge + displacement + 2 freezing ice weapons (CiTW Longsword) to pick out enemies one by one. I decided against Evasion intentionally. Divine Might and switching between ranged/melee should be possible by playskill to make Evasion nice but not a must have.

With the Swashbuckler I kinda have troubles now, whether my idea (based on the old bard trees) is too much effort compared to the Swashbuckler now or not.

I know about fascinate and its problems with group dynamics but that shall not be any factor.

I just wonder if it was easier to have a 20 Bard Swashbuckler for example, who could do the very same combat style + full spellcasting + Evasion. I read about a 12 Brd/ 6 Ftr/ 2 Rog Stalwart based Swashbuckler as well, but I favor many skill points and versatility. Since I can push fascinate to 110+ without too much effort, I thought Stalwart defender splash will not be necessary. Or will it?

Usually I like to try out something till I hit the wall, but with the Bard I kind of feel overwhelmed by class split choices and all. Any input for or against my basic idea is appreciated.

Thanks in advance  Smiley

p. s.:
If I went Swashbuckler, racial weapons were limitted to Rapier, since I focused on DEX to dmg. and Weapon Finesse instead of Divine Might. bard spells were support only then and Fascinate + CdG the only insta kill/cc option.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:58am by onions »  

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Re: DDO Flavor bard
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 3:15am
Print Post  
You can dump cha on creation (u want to boost it with items and tomes, though) and still get your fascinate high enough for lower ee's. You just need to max perform and have a +20 perform item (I like the ring from FoT). 12 bard will give you fom, but only 12 minutes, the ranger spells will be too short for practical use. I probably would go with human, though.

If you don't care about trapping abilities and evasion, fvs for divine might and more sp sounds good. I didn't melee much on mine, though, because the bow dps was just so much higher. Only switched to melee when surrounded by trash mobs in a raid, and I liked the great sword from FoT (Skybreaker).

IP Logged

onions
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Angry wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 3:15am:
You can dump cha on creation (u want to boost it with items and tomes, though) and still get your fascinate high enough for lower ee's. You just need to max perform and have a +20 perform item (I like the ring from FoT). 12 bard will give you fom, but only 12 minutes, the ranger spells will be too short for practical use. I probably would go with human, though.

If you don't care about trapping abilities and evasion, fvs for divine might and more sp sounds good. I didn't melee much on mine, though, because the bow dps was just so much higher. Only switched to melee when surrounded by trash mobs in a raid, and I liked the great sword from FoT (Skybreaker).

Spells: I will choose Extend Spell for Displacement on a multiclassed toon needs to be extended. So lvl. 12 buffs will be enough. Rgr spells are for teh lolz and early levels, depending on level order.

Dumped CHA: I wanted to use fascinate in all ee.s, though. With starting CHA of 8 I will reach 24 (+5 tome +1 exceptional + 2 insightful +8 augment). That's only + 7 STR bonus. Looks a bit meager.

Melee: this is essential. With Rgr I wanted to build up the TWF line since I got the 2st feat for free.

IP Logged

Angry
Puppy Farmer

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 4:03am
Print Post  
onions wrote on Jul 8th, 2014 at 1:31pm:
Spells: I will choose Extend Spell for Displacement on a multiclassed toon needs to be extended. So lvl. 12 buffs will be enough. Rgr spells are for teh lolz and early levels, depending on level order.

Dumped CHA: I wanted to use fascinate in all ee.s, though. With starting CHA of 8 I will reach 24 (+5 tome +1 exceptional + 2 insightful +8 augment). That's only + 7 STR bonus. Looks a bit meager.

Melee: this is essential. With Rgr I wanted to build up the TWF line since I got the 2st feat for free.

If I remember correctly my fascinate dc was in the 60's, and it wasn't 100% in ee Demonweb. You might need to put more effort in to get it higher. Katz can prolly help you if you need.

As for melee bard, atm swashbuckler seems to be the shit, so if you really want a strong melee, you might want to try that.

Here's what I did: http://mickisdelirium.wordpress.com/2013/12/25/cerge-3-0/ Except I took manyshot at 16, not 18, and for last feat I took Doubleshot instead of Perfect Two Weapon Fighting. I pretty much realised that the bow was the shit from lvl 16 onwards, so pretty much ignored melee (adrenaline and fury for extra damage).

Oh, and I took empower heal instead of extend. This toon couldn't heal for shit til he got cocoon, though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint