Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic +20 Heart bard rebuild (Read 4905 times)
Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

DDO: More broken than
peanut brittle

+20 Heart bard rebuild
Aug 11th, 2014 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Currently, the bard is a trainwreck of feats.  So, FOTM SWF Half Elf Swashbuckler with evasion & Paladin Dill is the target.  Thinking 12/6/2 Bard fighter rogue.  Displacement, haste, DDoor, 11 feats.  Bard only has Fatesinger maxed out at the moment.  Anyone have a rough template along these lines?

I read that shield feats were getting nerfed with SWF?  True/False
Also, thinking Stalwart for shield goodness bonuses.  Do they mesh Ok with buckler?

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Re: +20 Heart bard rebuild
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 8:06am:
I read that shield feats were getting nerfed with SWF?  True/False

It was mentioned by a dev, future is uncertain.

Also, thinking Stalwart for shield goodness bonuses.  Do they mesh Ok with buckler?

Stalwart and swashbuckler work well together, for now, see above.

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 8:11am
Print Post  
is your bard currently pure, or do you have to dance around levels?

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Pure.  Was rockin with some nice perform DC's.  But you don't need pure bard for that.

Munkenmo wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 8:11am:
Stalwart and swashbuckler work well together, for now, see above.

Enhancements are easy to fix, feats are not.  Thanks!

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I am currently trying the same thing (see here http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1407151914)

I ended up with 12/6/2 Bard/Fighter/Rogue and have something like

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 3 (Fighter)
*Feat: (Selected) Power attack
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Shield Mastery

Level 4 (Fighter)
*Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Precision

Level 6 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) S Weapon Fighting

Level 9 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) S Two Weapon Fighting

Level 12 (Fighter)
*Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slash Weapons
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Shield Mastery

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater SWeapon Fighting

Level 15 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Force of Personality

Level 18 (Bard)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Few thoughts.
1.) Power attack and Precision cant be run at the same time (ditto with stawart def I think).  I was running the enhancemnt to give +5 dmg with Precision. This is cause I did not think out everything and thought the to hit might help over the loss with power attack because I was going to weapon finesse and use Cha for Dmg. But ended up maxing str, so I think I'll trade out percision for cleave and Force of personality for Greater cleave, opening up overwhelming crit for epic.

Still trying to figure out Epic feats, but remember inspire excellence requires 15 bard levels, so that is not an option.

the Dmg with Swash and going into Kensi seems pretty good.  I'm currently pretty heavy into WC tree as well, but the chants are underwhelming (6 dr is nice, but does not stack with much, so underutilized) although the rage is nice (its much longer 4+min then the tool tip says)

Also not sure the Empower healing is the best choice, but I really wanted this guy to heal decently. Might switch some points from WC to Spellsinger for stronger scrolls and longer songs.

Please let me know what you end up going with, I'm sure there is alot of room for improvement in my build.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2014 at 9:54am by livefreeordie »  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Thanks for the road map.  Really hard making builds with the char generator missing most of what i'm trying to do.  Especially when I'm not as familiar as I once was.  I plan on going Cha to damage as well, but I should have enough str for OC to make things more ridiculous.  Not a fan of Warchanter to be honest.  The freeze ability is nice but the damage add felt pretty poor overall.

What weapon should I go with from the Raider box?  Balizarde or Nightmare/E Chimera Fang?

IP Logged

Vendui
Releaser Of Exploits

Dare to tempt your fates?
Everything has a price.

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 10:53am:
Thanks for the road map.  Really hard making builds with the char generator missing most of what i'm trying to do.  Especially when I'm not as familiar as I once was.  I plan on going Cha to damage as well, but I should have enough str for OC to make things more ridiculous.  Not a fan of Warchanter to be honest.  The freeze ability is nice but the damage add felt pretty poor overall.

What weapon should I go with from the Raider box?  Balizarde or Nightmare/E Chimera Fang?

you dont need str for OC soon, so dont build for it unless you plan to TR/ETR it in the near future. Unless ofc your already planning to use Str for dmg instead of Cha for dmg via swashbuckle tree. (Use Cha for dmg, same as str for dmg. Downside: nothing really boosts cha clickie wise, so str will always be higher if you min/max, however you can go PDK and gain 1/3 your cha mod to tacticals, which is great. the upside: GSWF allows the same bonus that Str does to 2hf, 200% ability bonus to dmg, which makes the use of Cha, Int, or Dex useful. (I only add Dex because its possible to sustain higher dex non-buffed than it is str atm Cheesy))
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:47am by Vendui »  

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Vendui wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:45am:
you dont need str for OC soon, so dont build for it unless you plan to TR/ETR it in the near future.

Oh I musta missed that. 

None of my characters are set for EE soloing.  I don't have the time to commit anymore.  So, just being 'decent' is my target.  Nothing stellar, just a grey man character.  Picking up what I can off the AH and SE.

IP Logged

livefreeordie
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 10:53am:
I plan on going Cha to damage as well, but I should have enough str for OC to make things more ridiculous.  Not a fan of Warchanter to be honest.  The freeze ability is nice but the damage add felt pretty poor overall.

After thinking about it a bit, I did not do Cha for dmg, because I really did not see the benefit.  Your to hit will be lower (even if you spend the feat and get weapon finesse, so you at least get some synergy between reflex/evasion and to hit) and it will never max out as high.  Your cha skills are going to be strong, but if you really want to focus on that, you should go with more levels in bard imo.

Agree with WC being less appealing. Gonna mess around with my enchantments, but going 21 points seems like a good cut off

+4 str from rage
+2 group dmg
some HP, extra songs and some cold dmg might be worth it.

IP Logged

Oyster
Korthos Resident

I Love Oysters!

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Pure bard is still salvageable, no real need to waste a +20 to get nice swashbuckliness. You get to have all the nice songs (including +2 all stats one from epic feat) and spells while not being that far from 12/6/2 build; generally you trade trapskills and cleaves for more spells/songs/CC.

Go full CHA, splash some spellsinger to your 45 swash to get decent DC on Enchantment. If you don't like reliable CC or can't get high enough for EE content, 30ish Warchanter (for those aura goodies like +6% damage and +6% doublestrike) is a good alternative. As you will lack cleaves, LD is not a good idea as it will be a pain to charge Blitz, but DC is a nice fit, full BAB is very nice and free heals and debuffs are handy, adding to the lacking AoE of swashbuckler.

20 bard in comparison to 12/6/2 hybrid also gets more spellpoints, better speed and a bit better MDB from swash cores. If the upcoming Melee Power finally gets on live, I think 20 Bard will be even better off.

12/6/2 is a nice hybrid, but you will feel lack of spellpoints and will have less spell duration, which is annoying after pure bard. You will deal more damage though while in Blitz, and OwC feat helps with that too. If you're set on 12/6/2, Dwarven Defender Parody (check DDO forums, Bard section) is an interesting twist on this with racking up HP to levels where you ignore most traps anyway - though that build is VERY tight AP-wise.

IP Logged

Oyster
Korthos Resident

I Love Oysters!

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 3:18pm
Print Post  

Yes they do, you get full effect from Stalwart with a buckler.

I think it will work even if Shield Mastery feats won't, because they are different thing altogether. Loss of Shield Mastery feats is painful mostly due to loss of Legendary Shield Mastery (though currently if you twist it without the SM feats, you still get full benefit, but I doubt it's WAI) and overall Doublestrike.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Aeol, I wouldnt suggest charisma build if youre wanting to go full time melee.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/444545-The-dwarven-defender-parody

con based.

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1400533305
Monk and i posted builds there srt and dex based.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Aeolwind
HERALD OF HATE

peanut brittle

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Oyster wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 3:13pm:
Pure bard is still salvageable, no real need to waste a +20 to get nice swashbuckliness. You get to have all the nice songs (including +2 all stats one from epic feat) and spells while not being that far from 12/6/2 build; generally you trade trapskills and cleaves for more spells/songs/CC.

My feats were the problem.  I was originally a spellsinger, changed to Warchanter, with a horribly broken mishmosh of feats that I cannot change with 50 trips to Fred.  And, I want evasion.  Splashing fighter was just an idea to make sure I could squeeze all the feats in & stalwart.  Half Elf Bard with Paladin Dill nets some pretty nice saves.  All the CC I need are songs from what I've seen so far.

Rubbinns wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 3:53pm:
con based.
Half Elf Dilettante can do many things, make me a dwarf isn't one.

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Bear this in mind:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/446138-Armor-Up-Developer-Diary-2/page...

Quote:
We will look into the specific case of Swashbucklers with bucklers to make sure they don't get the shield feats as well as SWF.

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Aeolwind wrote on Aug 11th, 2014 at 5:13pm:
Half Elf Dilettante can do many things, make me a dwarf isn't one.

Good point;p Str or dex give better returns than cha based.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

Oyster
Korthos Resident

I Love Oysters!

Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
My feats were the problem. I was originally a spellsinger, changed to Warchanter, with a horribly broken mishmosh of feats that I cannot change with 50 trips to Fred.

You can completely rebuild yourself using LR+0 heart, which is replaceable. LR+20 heart is unique and cannot be reproduced.

And, I want evasion.

You do realize that Bard 20 gets Evasion, right? It's Core 6 in Swashbuckler. No need to splash for it.

Splashing fighter was just an idea to make sure I could squeeze all the feats in & stalwart.

The only feats you miss in pure Bard are Cleaves -> OwC. While those are good, I wouldn't spend +20 heart just for that. Blitz is nice, but in next Update (in September?) 60% of its effect will be added to other melee destinies.

Pure Bard can get 3xSWF, PSWF (awesome with Reign), 2xShieldM, Precision, IC:Pierce, Quicken, Inspire Excellence (+2 all stats song, only available to Bard 15+), Lasting Inspiration (8.5 minute songs outside of Fatesinger FTW). You can replace Lasting Inspiration with PTWF if you want more DPS. With Divine Crusader you don't really need cleaves to deal AoE, and even with bad gear you will be destroying things. I would save a +20 heart, really.

All the CC I need are songs from what I've seen so far.

While Fascinate is nice, Otto's Sphere is better as it's persistent and damage doesn't prevent them from dancing - very useful in places like Demon Assault. Quickened Sphere is awesome on trash. With 12/6/2 you also lose access to Greater Hero, Shadow Walk, Heroes' Feast and Otto Dance, and getting half the spellpoints.

It's your choice, but I think pure bard is still very good if you're not set on LD as your primary destiny.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2014 at 11:57pm by Oyster »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint