Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic re: Revamp Korthos (Read 7861 times)
omgspiderz
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

re: Revamp Korthos
Jan 23rd, 2015 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/454984-ReVamp-Korthos-please-for-DOOs-...

I find few things more annoying than people thinking they "know" what's going to attract and retain new players.   

I feel like, if you can figure out how to navigate through Korthos after a few days, you deserve a crack at playing  DDO.

Clearly there are things that need more tending to before Korthos even appears on the radar.

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2015 at 12:03pm by omgspiderz »  

(Party:): Your party member, Wickedpippi, has died.

IP Logged

Illetirated
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Re: Revamp Korthos
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
franohmsford asskissing big time:

Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by Eth
When I played a character through the grotto about 2 weeks ago, it took me 5 attempts.
Yes, 5, for the grotto.
Everytime I tried one of the NPCs (usually Jeets) path scripting would go nuts and they would just run into a wall and stare at it forever.

I don't know if this is still the case or other people experience this, but if it is I doubt most new players even make it to Korthos.

Sounds like a bug that probably got fixed ASAP the instant Turbine heard about it {I can't see them letting that continue for long!}.

I avoid the Grotto these days but I have run it a coupla times in the past year {and plenty of times since 2010!} and never had any issues with it.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/454984-ReVamp-Korthos-please-for-DOOs-...

When there's a bug, Turbine fixes it ASAP!  Grin

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Few things annoy me more about the DDO community that players who have the unmitigated gal to suggest detailed, in-depth solutions/additions/changes to the game.

I saw it constantly back when I was actually posting on the motherboard. A person comes along and posts a 5,000-word, bullet-pointed summery of a details list of whatever change they want.

A new class complete with multiple very broken enhancement trees, an ED overhaul that makes one ED super powerful and gives you all the rest for free, some dungeon that caters to their highly specific play-style, or a complete re-coding of the game to enforce perma-death.

How big does your fucking ego have to be, for you, with no experience or qualifications, to walk up to a multi-million-dollar company and say "This is better, do it."?

And I'm not talking about little things like "Hey, maybe look at improving korthos" I'm talking "Here's a new class I want and ALL the design work already done(and insanely broken), make it for me."

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
omgspiderz wrote on Jan 23rd, 2015 at 12:02pm:

I find few things more annoying than people thinking they "know" what's going to attract and retain new players.   

I feel like, if you can figure out how to navigate through Korthos after a few days, you deserve a crack at playing  DDO.

Clearly there are things that need more tending to before Korthos even appears on the radar.

New players are attracted by a new game... an 8 years old game will only get new players that comes because they were told by old players to come...
the ocasionnal really new player that stumbled upon the game is.... a rarity.

Korthos is good as it is, no point in fucking it up more than it's already fucked up... Except maybe to revert back to the old Lower Harbor and Euphonia's Challenge, so that New players get a clue that a 8 CON Rogue is not a viable option.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

noamineo
Completionist (i.t.p.)

All men fear time, but
time fears the pyramids

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
The original Everquest is still going strong after 16 years, some of their original player-base are DEAD.

DDO can still attract new players, some people aren't as caught up in graphics as you might think. The old gal still has a lot to offer!

I'll never understand the propensity of people to brag about being good at a video game. Its a toy you play with for fun. The only person who should be proud of you is your mother. If you're 3.

IP Logged

DropBear
Dropbear Awareness Society

Don't forget to look up....

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 23rd, 2015 at 6:01pm:
The original Everquest is still going strong after 16 years, some of their original player-base are DEAD.

DDO can still attract new players, some people aren't as caught up in graphics as you might think. The old gal still has a lot to offer!

Agreed, it ain't the graphics that are the problem!
I think the overly complex rules probably scare off many mainstream gamers not familiar with PnP.
Most PnP would stick around, but would probably struggle with the move away from any particular edition.
So you get past that and you hit the bugs....
What's left is us and the die-hards.

Some of the recent content shows the engine still has enough in it to produce immersive content.
Sure, some of the older stuff looks it was done for a Commodore 64 and that is a shame as new players see that and think the rest of the game is like that.
Some new low level stuff might be beneficial, or in the cases of these creativity starved muppets, a new design pass over some of the old content might be easier.  But it won't happen.   Undecided

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Fran's such a tard.  It took me four times to get through the Grotto this last TR (a week ago) because of DDO's craptacular pathing.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Illetirated wrote on Jan 23rd, 2015 at 3:25pm:
{I can't see them letting that continue for long!}.

And he's so close to the truth. He admits his blindness, but can't follow it to its logical conclusion.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:24am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 23rd, 2015 at 10:04pm:
Some new low level stuff might be beneficial, or in the cases of these creativity starved muppets, a new design pass over some of the old content might be easier.

new design path on old stuff = not something interest worthy on resume

Temple of the Elemental Evil, new LVL 7 quests = Good Resume Padding.

And at level 7, you can enter it just straight from the Vet II Ship... New Players with Money for P2W attracted by TOEE will do that.
( and they are going to get buttfucked hard unless they make the quests My Little Pony Online on Heroic )

The PC fought to have it around 10/11/12, where it would have done some good, but.... Turbine...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:24am:

Temple of the Elemental Evil, new LVL 7 quests = Good Resume Padding.

And at level 7, you can enter it just straight from the Vet II Ship... New Players with Money for P2W attracted by TOEE will do that.
( and they are going to get buttfucked hard unless they make the quests My Little Pony Online on Heroic )

The PC fought to have it around 10/11/12, where it would have done some good, but.... Turbine...  Roll Eyes

I know the whole resume argument.
I was more coming at it from the perspective of making the game profitable by attracting and retaining players for longer.
Kind of takes vision (and some basic business skills), but there isn't any of either left at Turdbine.

I suspect you're right about TOEE at 7th and the coincidence of VetII.
But as you said, that is going to be a disaster combining new players with brand new toons in any decent content.   If they make it My Little Pony level, then no exisitng players will play it.

TOEE has the potential to be a game changer, I hope they don't fuck it up.
But IMHO, based on recent experience (the current team), there is a 95% chance they will.   Undecided

IP Logged

qweeve
DQ Assaulter

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 5:37am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:24am:

Maybe it's just me, but...

I would think the ability to repair old, fucked up code, that dozens of people have stirred would be more impressive than the ablity to write fresh stuff.  Any new graduate from a trade school can write code, fixing broken code would impress me.

IP Logged

FuckThisShit
Abbot Raider

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 6:07am
Print Post  
qweeve wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 5:37am:
Maybe it's just me, but...

I would think the ability to repair old, fucked up code, that dozens of people have stirred would be more impressive than the ablity to write fresh stuff.  Any new graduate from a trade school can write code, fixing broken code would impress me.

HA you seem to think that common sense applies here

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:16am
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 2:49am:
If they make it My Little Pony level, then no exisitng players will play it.

TOEE has the potential to be a game changer, I hope they don't fuck it up. 

Well I fully expect TOEE to be My Little Pony on Heroic, on Epic now, it's probably going to be tougher... as it's supposed to be part of the long term end game they are trying to (re)build ( along with shroud and whatever they come up with ).

While I agree with you, that's not something a recruiter looks into for a dev... he looks if the guys can piss code as fast as possible and if said code was good or not.
A Recruiter is not going to be impressed by somebody that can fix any broken code put in front of him...
While he is going to be impressed if the developper has already done very big and important pieces of code.

IP Logged

Meat-Head
53%Moron57%Misunderstood

Why am I reading crap
on this forum?

Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 23rd, 2015 at 3:56pm:
unmitigated gal

Is that like an inflatable lover? It's the best I could come up with..

Maybe just an unemployed nympho with a lot of free time? I'm trying here.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2015 at 7:13pm by Meat-Head »  

A half-dozen boss Vaulties donated generously with real money to my classroom during a fundraiser in May 2015 to get poor kids books to read. I won't forget that. They know who they are, and they freaking rule.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 1:51pm:
Once you meat your personal goal you might want to give that some consideration.

Artorias wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 2:15pm:
Good grief Meat, you're hopeless. You would label the simple act of taking a shit as someone obeying the divine law of nature to leave a proof of existence.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 10:17pm
Print Post  

Flav wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:16am:
While I agree with you, that's not something a recruiter looks into for a dev... he looks if the guys can piss code as fast as possible and if said code was good or not. A Recruiter is not going to be impressed by somebody that can fix any broken code put in front of him... While he is going to be impressed if the developper has already done very big and important pieces of code.

Agreed with both, although if you can frame it with the ol' magic "refactored flasbart to provide an 8-billionfold increase in runspeed while eliminating lag completely," that always looks nice...

Anyway, it always bears reposting:
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1,000 lines of code." -- Ken Thompson

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #15 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 10:17pm:
Anyway, it always bears reposting:
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1,000 lines of code." -- Ken Thompson

Yup, but at that time people knew how to code... Because they had to do it the hard way...
Nowadays you have that Visual bloatware that will do everything for you. Unless you work in very specific areas that have special requirements.
( like real time or near real time stuff, ultra fast reactions, dedicated systems... )

I did that in assembler too, getting rid of a bunch of useless lines of code... because said code was using too many clock cycles to run.
replacing factor 2 multiplications/divisions by shifts left/right does wonder...

IP Logged

Skoodge
LORD OF BOOBS

Whatever

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 4:44am
Print Post  
The old gal still has a lot to offer!

She's not as pretty as she used to be, but she can still suck an egg through a hose?

Turbine policy - glitches and poor coding resulting in interference of your game play or enjoyment will be ignored.  Glitches or poor coding on the developers side that at all benefit your game play or enjoyment will result in your character being banned and/or items from your inventory deleted.  Please report all bugs via our bug report...when it works.

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Some new low level stuff might be beneficial, or in the cases of these creativity starved muppets, a new design pass over some of the old content might be easier.  But it won't happen.   

Plus, if they were going over old content, maybe they'd be too busy to come up with new craptastic systems to clog our inventories  Grin

Agreed, it ain't the graphics that are the problem!
I think the overly complex rules probably scare off many mainstream gamers not familiar with PnP.
Most PnP would stick around, but would probably struggle with the move away from any particular edition.
So you get past that and you hit the bugs....
What's left is us and the die-hards.

Yeah, this is the real problem. They can't recognize their niche, and keep trying to develop it like a shallow mainstream game, driving away their best potential customers.

Stop using the formulas "everybody in the industry knows" and look at us as a specialty market, you'll do much better!

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Who Cares
Not this guy ^^^

You sir, are a dickbag.

Reply #18 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
some people aren't as caught up in graphics as you might think

yeah no shit go play some fucking super popular phone game like game of war. my wife and i watched the advert and are like that looks cool, then they show the gameplay, lol, not even that good of graphics for a phone.

On that note I really think that these add guys that put together these commercials that make the graphics look way better than they are, should be hit in the groin with a sledge hammer a few thousand times.

Fuck Off, That is all
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2016 at 9:17pm:
WC can do whatever he wants.

[] wrote on Feb 6th, 2017 at 11:26pm:
Public Service Announcement: your servers are not dead; if you can't find groups, it means you suck and/or nobody likes you.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #19 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Meursault wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 9:09am:
Plus, if they were going over old content, maybe they'd be too busy to come up with new craptastic systems to clog our inventories 

lol. What do you think they would do to old content?

"Added a barter system to get your first weapon from Jeets by collecting brown starfish on the beach."
"Fixed!"

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

DropBear

Reply #20 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 4:25pm:
lol. What do you think they would do to old content?

"Added a barter system to get your first weapon from Jeets by collecting brown starfish on the beach."
"Fixed!"

The old chocolate starfish eh?
That'd make an interesting collectible, you'd end up with the proverbial bag full of assholes.    Grin

And if they did that to Korthos, you could guess a few key features of the system:
1. You couldn't collect enough chocolate starfish within that area to make anything useful.
2. The weapon drop would be random, with festival twig being the most popular drop (just because it would be hilariously funny.....to the devs).
3. The chocolate starfishes would only be available in the Korthos introductory adventure, so you have to farm for it.....   Wink

IP Logged

Yobai
Epic Poster

Reply #21 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
DropBear wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 5:01pm:
The old chocolate starfish eh?

great name for a shuriken.

Revaulting wrote on Jul 7th, 2015 at 8:16pm:
Have you tried a lower difficulty, such as the official forums?

IP Logged

Meursault
Horoluth Raider

I Love Freedom of Speech

Reply #22 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 4:25pm:
"Fixed!"

Oh, yeah, I forgot to take into account the Turdbin factor - if only they were as creative at design as they are at corrupting wishes  Cry

Turdbin, keep changing the DDO rules, because McDonalds sold over 200 billion hamburgers by changing the recipe for their Special Sauce every couple of months to keep interest up.

IP Logged

Hag Master
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
noamineo wrote on Jan 23rd, 2015 at 3:56pm:
Few things annoy me more about the DDO community that players who have the unmitigated gal to suggest detailed, in-depth solutions/additions/changes to the game.

I saw it constantly back when I was actually posting on the motherboard. A person comes along and posts a 5,000-word, bullet-pointed summery of a details list of whatever change they want.

A new class complete with multiple very broken enhancement trees, an ED overhaul that makes one ED super powerful and gives you all the rest for free, some dungeon that caters to their highly specific play-style, or a complete re-coding of the game to enforce perma-death.

How big does your fucking ego have to be, for you, with no experience or qualifications, to walk up to a multi-million-dollar company and say "This is better, do it."?

And I'm not talking about little things like "Hey, maybe look at improving korthos" I'm talking "Here's a new class I want and ALL the design work already done(and insanely broken), make it for me."

You know what I find even more depressing? the rare (and I mean RARE) occasion when someone posts one of those 5k word entries with bullet points and it isn't just good, or well thought out but really brilliant, so good that you want to play it right away. 

The depressing part is that as soon as anything like that is posted the "personalities" of the forums and trolls come out of the woodwork and attempt to shit all over it. Seriously on the few occasions when I have seen it happen since 2006, it has never ended well. Never mind the poster getting a job with turbine, never mind the devs actually taking some of it on board, not even that. If it is good, and well done? devs have never ever even commented on it. I have always assumed it's because they just don't want to lend any credibility to the ideas of someone outside the bullpen, and the Forum scum just don't want anyone to get credit and support for something they didn't think of.

That depresses the shit out of me, does anyone remember the guy who posted the amazing Cavalier class write up? or the guys who posted breakdowns for all races?  nope? thats because people suck and all creativity must be crushed I guess. 

In the end, there is a reason folks like Munk, and Harhar have ended up posting builds here. Never mind classes, races, mounts, how much chance did the big stuff ever have if bloody builds using existing classes get forum-fucked.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2015 at 10:54pm by Hag Master »  

IP Logged

Metal-Beast
Abbot Raider

\m/

Reply #24 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Hag Master wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 10:54pm:
That depresses the shit out of me, does anyone remember the guy who posted the amazing Cavalier class write up? or the guys who posted breakdowns for all races?  nope? thats because people suck and all creativity must be crushed I guess.

I actually tried to go and look these examples up on the motherboards, but the servers were down.

Because Turbine.  Roll Eyes

I Got Nothin'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint