Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Warlock based Shuriken build viable? (Read 1453 times)
gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Warlock based Shuriken build viable?
Oct 11th, 2015 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
A few updates ago, when I was last active, I posted a thread about Elf based AA shuriken build(s).

http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1426572416/17#17

Back then Warlocks hadn't been added.  I made the argument that 11 levels of wizard was a viable option for shuriken builds because I found Tenser's that important that self casting (preferably extended) helped ensure ~100% up time (but I didn't want to commit to T5 EK for the toggle).

Up front, I accept that 11 levels of wizard isn't the absolute best DPS for this kind of build (though I personally found it very viable specifically for an AA/Fury that had few points to play with anyway...plus I think it's very subjective to compare the lost SA dice one could pick up as a rogue to the odds of keeping TT up 100% through scrolls).  The other option for casting TT was arti, but I didn't see the point if it meant being uncentered (or giving up the other attractive feature of the class - the runearm).

On to the point, has anyone messed with Warlock as a base for this concept?  The way I see it, it costs 13 levels of Warlock to pick up TT, but could be more useful than the wizard level.  BAB progression is better, making it easier to qualify for feats, most wizard spells you would bother casting are available to locks as well, umd as a class skill, and whatever pact bonuses.  Of course you lose some free metas, but they weren't that crucial.

Perhaps more importantly, Soul Eater has some very nice perks for a shuri build. 

+3 or +4 damage/attack, depending how many core abilities are taken.
Various debuffs just by attacking things if you consume/stricken (not sure worth)
+6 ranged power (hungry for destruction)
1d8+2 DEX bonus from You Cannot Evade Me. 

The last one seems really big to me.  Shuri builds are all about maxing dex and there was a whole generation of these builds using the EK toggle just because the +4 alch bonus from TT (well that and BAB, which is also huge for thrower) was so good.  When I saw Dark Feeding one of my first thoughts was that this is a new enhancement that will have to be included in calculating the maximum score for DEX.

Now the silly part is that even though warlocks are all about Eldritch Blast, this build wouldn't really be using it at all.  But between some flat attack damage, a healthy potential DEX buff, and castable tenser's, does anyone else see something like Warlock 13/Monk 3/Ranger 4 as a viable shuri build?

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Warlock based Shuriken build viable?
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Neat idea with the dex steal.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Most people are to lazy to scroll tenser's once a minute. You expect them to eat a monster's dex every 20 seconds?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 11th, 2015 at 10:39pm:
Most people are to lazy to scroll tenser's once a minute. You expect them to eat a monster's dex every 20 seconds?

I admit I'm making a big assumption about how fluid it is.  Scrolling is never fluid since it involves swap>cast>swap, which at least for me is the big hang up.

Assuming the cast point on Dark Feeding isn't too long (I don't know as I haven't ever used it), I at least would have no problem remembering to open combat with it on the first mob I see.  We're talking about a potential +6 DEX over the next highest insight bonus available.  After playing several shuri builds and working to max out DEX, there isn't a lot I wouldn't do for +6 DEX.  Smiley

Again, it does come down at least in part to how disruptive it is to cast the ability, which I haven't tested.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:17pm by gabrion »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
gabrion wrote on Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:15pm:
I admit I'm making a big assumption about how fluid it is.  Scrolling is never fluid since it involves swap>cast>swap, which at least for me is the big hang up.

Assuming the cast point on Dark Feeding isn't too long (I don't know as I haven't ever used it), I at least would have no problem remembering to open combat with it on the first mob I see.  We're talking about a potential +6 DEX over the next highest insight bonus available.  After playing several shuri builds and working to max out DEX, there isn't a lot I wouldn't do for +6 DEX.  Smiley

Again, it does come down at least in part to how disruptive it is to cast the ability, which I haven't tested.

Even if it's easy to cast it only nets 2.5 on average. But I think you're forgetting something, you need an 80+ dex warlock build before that's even worth considering.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

gabrion
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:32pm:
Even if it's easy to cast it only nets 2.5 on average. But I think you're forgetting something, you need an 80+ dex warlock build before that's even worth considering.

Doesn't DDO weight most dice so it actually ends up being an average 3.5 extra?  Or is it a strict 1d8 roll?  Not claiming the former, but curious since I thought a lot of spell effects worked this way.

As for the need of high DEX...well of course.  Being a warlock wouldn't have a lot to do with that - such a build would be built like most any Shuriken tosser.  DEX would be a huge priority, but a lot of that comes down to itemization, etc.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
gabrion wrote on Oct 11th, 2015 at 11:48pm:
Doesn't DDO weight most dice so it actually ends up being an average 3.5 extra?  Or is it a strict 1d8 roll?  Not claiming the former, but curious since I thought a lot of spell effects worked this way.

I haven't used it either, but if Maximize and Empower affect it, the dex could potentially be ... greater than advertised.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2015 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
1d8 + 2 is 6.5 dex on average, but, I think it's probably not worth it. 

With a recast every 20 seconds (assuming 1s cast time) thats roughly a 5% dps loss.  Although it's probably more than that with the switching delay between casting and attacking.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
while interesting and compelling for Lock PL's on a thrower character, I don't think it's worth designing around. With Monk being required for ANT, and Ranger DWS now being the best prestige, and SA damage scaling with RP, there is simply no room in a thrower build that is multiuclassed for Warlock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint