Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Ranged build with ftr icon (Read 6818 times)
nietzsche
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Ranged build with ftr icon
Nov 5th, 2015 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Hi guys,

I need a fighter PL to achieve completionist,in the mean time I alsowant to try again archery (manly because I am tired of meele build and because I already got a lot of bows).

I was thinking Human or elf/half-elf; 8/6/6 ftr/rgr/mnk.

I have problems figuring out ench and what chose for main stat for damage (str/dex/int).

I am going to be full time ranged past the lower levels

thx for any tip (aside 'drink bleach' and simila from P4P..)
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 11:36am by nietzsche »  

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Re: Ranged build with ftr icon
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Elf: free access to Arcane Archer

DEX: put every single point into it, no exceptions.  Start with max DEX (20 on an elf) and put the remainig points into CON; anything left over goes into CHA.

5 ROG levels: you're going to need to UMD heal scrolls in order to stay alive; raise dead/ressurection scrolls are good too, and this gives you the action point neccessary to accomplish that.  Between this investment, and a random piece of CHA gear, you can no-fail UMD heal/rez scrolls.  You also get Uncanny Dodge, which hels keep your ass alive when shit gets real in the hood.  You'll also have lots of AP left over to invest in other things: jump and tumble are good: especially when combined with Unearthly Reactions.  Also, you get an extra 3d6 sneak attack dice with no investment, an extra 1d6 from the Assasin tree, and acess to the Mechanic tree: up to +8 damage from Sharpshooter with an additiona 4d6 sneak dice; that's a total of 8d6 sneak dice.  Also, scroll mastery will make those heal scroll go off for more HP.  Don't invest in trapping, don't bother with traps, put a single AP into open lock, but invest no further; you just want to open up the ability and let your DEX score carry you through. If may take multiple tries, but locks don't blow up!

3 FVS levels.  Follow the Silver Flame Path: long bow favored weapon.  Child of the Flame feat=+1 damage (auto granted), Warpriest enhacement line=+3 damage, Inflame buff=+4 damage, Divine Favor spell=+1 damage.

12 FTR levels: long bow Weapon Focuses and Weapon Specializations.

If you're going to TR @ 20, do whatever.  If you're going to take this to 28 and beyond, take ROG at level 1, FTR lvl 2, fvs lvl 3; then fighter/fvs all the way intil your last INT tome kicks in, then take the remaing 4 ROG levels: you get extra AP that way.

FORGET ABOUT MONK: 10k stars requires an investment in WIS, meaning a 3 way split between DEX, CON, and WIS.  Monkchers and shuriken builds generally have low DPS, low HP, or low reflex save because of this.  Skip it.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 11:45am by [] »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 11:48am
Print Post  
To make Archery really work, you want 12 levels of Ranger for this:

Quote:
Advanced Sneak Attack: +1 Sneak Attack Die. +10 Positive Spell Power. You gain a +1 Competence Bonus to Critical Threat Range with your equipped weapons. (This does not apply to Shields or Unarmed). Your attacks now bypass 10% fortification.

Otherwise, you have to go the fighter tier 5 enhancements for this:

Quote:
Keen Edge: You gain a +1 Competence bonus to Critical Threat Range with your Focus weapons.

And doing that costs you either Slayer arrows in the AA tree or +5 base damage, +20% doubleshot, Head shot (5[W] attack with auto crit.  12 second cooldown) +5 RP, and +30 RP from Improved Archer's Focus in the DWS tree.

That's not to say you can't do it, especially for a PL build that isn't going to be around long.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 11:48am:
That's not to say you can't do it, especially for a PL build that isn't going to be around long. 

I was working up a similar post and want to echo this.

The AP costs are as follows:
31AP in AA, 11 in Elf to open AA, and 31AP in Kensei. That only leaves 7AP and it would cost 11AP minimum to get Sniper Shot from DWS. So basically you're giving up either crit threat range or Sniper Shot (and a lot of other goodies) due to the 31AP you're spending in Kensei.

I've got some more thoughts I'm going to post in another post about class split.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 11:48am:
To make Archery really work, you want 12 levels of Ranger for this:

He's looking for a fighter past live, you illiterate rat-fuck.  Don't listen to Ash, Darkcock; he has no idea what he's talking about.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:08pm by [] »  

IP Logged

nietzsche
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
It seams the ways to improve crit range/threat by going ftr are just 2 then...kensei T5 and 18 core elf AA...lame..

Btw poor ten thousands star is better than no tts at all,even with low wis and mnk levels or I missing anythink (also mnk with earth stance got higher crit mult).

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Oh, it's not an optimal ranged build by any means: but if you HAVE to go ranged AND you need the fighter PL, that's the way to do it without being a trainwreck of a build.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
nietzsche wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:08pm:
It seams the ways to improve crit range/threat by going ftr are just 2 then...kensei T5 and 18 core elf AA...lame..

You're dead-on with the crit range/threat and the deeper I looked at this build those are completely class agnostic (other than your main class of Fighter). You could build 8 fighter/6 cleric/6 wizard and still have the right class mix to fit in the crit range/threat.

Btw poor ten thousands star is better than no tts at all,even with low wis and mnk levels or I missing anythink (also mnk with earth stance got higher crit mult).

That would depend on what you could get otherwise. I'm playing around with those options right now and just about to toss out a few suggestions.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:15pm
Print Post  

I'd stick with Ranger levels and monk levels over Fvs and Rogue.  That's a flavor build from before the ranger pass and balance pass that needs FoTW and adrenaline regen and old manyshot to be mediocre.  It will be terribad during heroic leveling.  On the plus side, you would get a lot of sneak attacks because you have rogue levels and your dps is so shite you will never have aggro.   

Fighter/Ranger/Monk is solid. 
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:16pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Btw poor ten thousands star is better than no tts at all

wrong: it now shares a cooldown with manyshot.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
So basically we have the following 'must haves' in this build:
  • 6-8 fighter levels for the icon
  • Elf/Half Elf for crit range/threat
  • 71 AP for crit range/threat
  • Heroic Feats: Point Blank Shot, Precision, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Improved Critical Ranged

There's a lot of nice haves on the heroic feats but that about covers it on the must haves. Next post will have some level splits that keep in mind that 1) we have PLENTY of feats with the fighter levels to fit in the requirements we laid out and the nice haves as well and 2) we don't have much in the way of AP to spend, so any classes we mix in with fighter should be for what the class brings to the table, not the enhancements.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:15pm:
I'd stick with Ranger levels and monk levels over Fvs and Rogue

...because you don't know shit about ranged builds, nigger!

IP Logged

nietzsche
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
yeah It's a real sub optimal build..wondering if I finally do another great Xbow build for a ranged toon to fly trough levels..

poor fighters...only good to bring feats..

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #13 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
If you want a OP ranged build, I'll post that shit; the damage is literally impossible to improve upon.

IP Logged

nietzsche
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the infos guys...goibg to play a bit with the planner now...

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #15 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
nietzsche wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:27pm:
yeah It's a real sub optimal build..wondering if I finally do another great Xbow build for a ranged toon to fly trough levels..

poor fighters...only good to bring feats..

I was going to suggest X-Bow as a better synergy build, but you said you had a bunch of bows and wanted to try archery.

A fighter/mechanic x-bow build would be far faster leveling.

IP Logged

Galadriel
DQ Assaulter

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Human 8 Fighter / 6 Ranger / 6 Monk Dex focused is a good enough split for a PL.

Pick up 10K for the minor burst, IPS from normal feats, Focus + Spec lines.

Enhancements into DWS T5 for Head Shot, Lightning and Draw, AA T4 Force Arrow + Elemental Damage lines only, Stalwart T2 for Stance, T4 for the 10% speed if you really want it and any remaining points into Kensai and Human.

Leveled something similar during the weekend where MS was based on BAB from 16-26 and I can say it's not a beastly build but is very capable of holding it's own through both solo and group play and has some good burst with all the DWS active abilities.

Don't have to spec for extra critical just for a PL build but that is always debatable and mostly based on your leveling speed and playing preference.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Some options:

• Your original split of 8fig/6rng/6mnk is fine. There's definitely some value in the free feats from ranger as well as 10k stars (as poor as it is on this build) as well as the crit on 19-20 in earth stance. I'm not a huge fan for heroic purposes there though as you won't see all these things fall into place until near the cap.
  • 14+ fighter/6 levels of anything but monk. Basically you run heavy armor on this one, spend in the new feats to give more PRR/MRR, and have a tanky archer. The 6 levels from other classes don't really matter. 6 ranger gives 2 favored enemies and extra feats so it's nice. I could even see some argument for something like 5 rogue for the sneak dice and 1 barbarian for extra run speed. Honestly on this build the 6 levels matter very little - you're just putting on some heavy armor and running around shooting things with a bow and not even bothering to kite. You could even go 14/5clr/1brb to get some healing at the cost of some BAB.
  • This one's probably my favorite...10 fighter/10 rogue. Tons of sneak dice, take opportunist to further extend the chances of seeing those sneak dice even against enemies with fortification, make sure to get some light black dragon armor for the extra armor pen. Plenty of skill points for trapping, etc.

Edit: Any splits that don't use 6 ranger must spend either a feat to get Bow Strength if you're going Str for damage or spend 16ap to get Dex to damage with either Longbow or Shortbow (not both). We have the AP (grudgingly) available and likely the feats aren't an issue either so it would simply be down to personal preference which route to go. Similarly Rangers must spend 6 points in DWS to get dex to damage so the points we have left to play with are exceedingly limited on a dex to damage build (77AP spent, 79 if you take the dragonmark on a ranger, and 76AP spent on a non-ranger).
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:55pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #18 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Galadriel wrote on Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:39pm:
Human

yeah, that's where you fucked up.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Last thing. You're looking at an elf. You're lousy with feats from fighter and possibly monk/ranger. You're forced to spend 11AP in the elf tree to get AA. I'd go ahead and spend 2AP of the 9 we had left to pick up Displacement and spend one of your feats on the elven dragonmark. You've got plenty of feats to go around and 2AP for that is well worth it. I'd even toss in Extend on any builds where it's an option - having those Extended Displacements cast at character level would be really nice. Could work with the 14 fighter build especially well if you've put in another class like clr or fvs for some light healing which would also qualify you for Extend.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 12:46pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
You know what...stay pure fighter. You've got to go 31 points in Kensei anyway. The core 18 gives an action boost for vorpal that lasts 1 minute at a time. The core 12 gives an action boost for +8 str. The core 6 gives 1% doubleshot per core. I could see an argument for splashing 1 barb and 1 rogue for UMD and run speed but staying pure allows you to do just a standard LR to swap to something else at cap as well. Otherwise I'd splash the 1 barb (and one rogue probably for UMD and level 1 skills) only getting that core 18 AT 18 (where you're likely to stay until you cap) is way better than getting it at 19.

So yeah, the ranger/monk version has some interesting bits to it if you want to be dex-based and evasion. Otherwise, you could build a really tough elf assuming +3 dex tome that's str-based for damage, has crazy levels of PRR/MRR for the current game, gets all the goodies as quickly or nearly as quickly as possible (1 brb/10 fig actually gets IPS a level sooner), and doesn't have to juggle when you get what ability due to trying to get to 6 ranger, 6 monk, and 8 fighter (greater weapon focus is required to get the T5 crit enhancer so it's not available until Fig8) ALL as quickly as possible.

If you're not playing at the cap 16 starting dex (6 build points) + 3 dex tome = 19 dex which enough for IPS starting at level 11. If you're going to play at cap you'd probably want to spend 10 build points on dex OR have a +5 dex tome to get you to 21 dex at 21 for Combat Archery.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 1:47pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Here's the build (just class/feats) through level 14 for a pure fighter:

Pure Fighter AA
Level 14 Lawful Good Elf Male
(14 Fighter)
Hit Points: 203
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 11
Reflex: 8
Will: 3

Strength 18 + levels
Dexterity 16 + 3 tome required (possible to do 12 con and 18 dex with +1 tome on a 32-point build or 18 dex/14 con on a 36-point build if the tome isn't available)
Constitution 14

Level 1 (Fighter)
Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot

Level 2 (Fighter)
Weapon Focus: Ranged

Level 3 (Fighter)
Precision

Level 4 (Fighter)
Weapon Specialization: Ranged Weapons

Level 5 (Fighter)

Level 6 (Fighter)
Many Shot

Level 7 (Fighter)

Level 8 (Fighter)
Greater Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons

Level 9 (Fighter)
Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons

Level 10 (Fighter)
Bow Strength

Level 11 (Fighter)

Level 12 (Fighter)
Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot

Level 13 (Fighter)

Level 14 (Fighter)
Heavy Armor Champion

Edit: Missed out on Manyshot in the original layout
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2015 at 2:11pm by Darkrok »  

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Posted through level 14 because that covers us getting all the critical feats to make the build work. We've got all the ranged feats that are required and the top tier of Heavy Armor (12 of the 30 points available). After this though you've got 5 feats to play with at 15, 16, 18, 18, and 20.

I didn't fit in the dragonmark up to this point so level 15 would be a nice spot to pick it up. You could go earlier but I don't see anything in there I'd drop as you ahve to get GWF: Ranged to get the crit bonus in Kensei. Depends on how you're spending AP though as you could bump the Weapon Spec and GWF later if you don't need GWF to qualify for the T5 Kensei crit bonus. The last 5 feats though would be the Dragonmark, Greater Weapon Spec: Ranged, and then some mix of either Heavy Armor boosts (starting with the +9 one, then +6, then +3) and WF/WSpec Thrown (+2 ranged power each one). You could get up to 18 extra PRR/MRR from those last 3 feats or up to +6 ranged power and can mix and match as you see fit.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #23 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
who you talking to, dude?

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Nov 5th, 2015 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Ok, something I think we've all overlooked on this...taking the Elven AA core 5, at least according to the wiki, requires level 22. If you're just playing to heroic cap you're not going to get that ability at all.

In addition Arrow of Slaying is one of the premiere abilities for AA's but you can't take it and the Crit Range from Kensei. Furthermore a lot of the AA stuff involves spell points and without Moonbow you'll be counting on your items and possibly Energy of the Wild from AA to provide them.

It can still work but if you're going to heroic cap only you won't be able to get the crit profile and may decide to build something that doesn't aim for big crits. Skip out on T5 Kensei altogether taking T5 AA instead (only the cores are delayed), etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint