Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Xbow builds - Rogue vs Paladin differences (Read 5292 times)
vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Xbow builds - Rogue vs Paladin differences
Feb 23rd, 2016 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
My buddy and I just came back to DDO after a 6 month break along with a new buddy. Since the new guy is fresh on the server we went ahead and made new first lifers to play along with him. I built an 18/2 Rogue/Arti running with Great Xbows and loved every minute of it. The damage was great the entire way and I enjoyed having the skill points to do Roguish things. We also got a Leverage on our only run through heroic TOEE as well as picking up a Divine Artillery around level 14 so again, damage was top notch.

I'd like to give the Paladin 14/Rogue 6 a try after we TR, but depending on the other guys I'm not sure if we're doing a 3rd TR before messing around in Epics. So long story short, I'm a bit leery to pull the trigger on the Paladin variant as I may be stuck in it for awhile. I'd like to know short and sweet what I'm gaining and/or giving up with this build versus the 18(or even pure 20) Rogue variant.

Holy Sword gives you an extra crit threat, though you lose a crit multiplier on Great xbow versus the core 18 Rogue enhancement. So it seems at first glance the Paladin version favors repeaters. Paladin obviously is a bit more durable and can self heal without relying on Cocoon so you have more twist options. Skills will be lacking compared to Rogue, but it seems if you space them out you can still max the important ones.

Anyone chime in with some general ideas for the major differences? I keep hearing that damage wise they are very close, but I can't quite see where it's coming from. Is holy sword just that good? I messed with repeater on the Rogue but they never seemed to outdo my Great Xbow damage. That said I never had an actual named repeater to compete and was relying on random loot.

IP Logged

Holyavatar
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Re: Xbow builds - Rogue vs Paladin differences
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Pal version is defense focused,heavy armor and defender stance...Plus high saves..
Rogue version has much higher sneak dice and armor-piercing,it would outperform pal version on DPS at endgame

IP Logged

Steelstar
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
If you wait until next week you could make a Gnome Mechanic. They will get a +6 to hit & damage, and a +1 crit range on light repeaters, and light xbows. Also the color spray will be Int based DC so you can get groups of blinded mobs on demand for Sneak Attack damage at 2nd level! and blur for free at 2-3rd level. +4 intelligence, huge UMD bonuses and lots more.

Admittedly the Pally can be more survivable, but if you have been happy running a Mech so far it would be fine.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2016 at 9:17pm by »  

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Holyavatar wrote on Feb 23rd, 2016 at 8:42pm:
Pal version is defense focused,heavy armor and defender stance...Plus high saves..
Rogue version has much higher sneak dice and armor-piercing,it would outperform pal version on DPS at endgame 

this. also some cure seplls, and mainly LoH. I get 8 charges that regen and heal for 800.

Mockduck wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:20pm:
I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2016 at 11:25pm
Print Post  
Ok, so it's pretty much what I expected. I was reading some people saying the Paladin DPS was just as good as the Rogue's which wasn't adding up in my head.

So let me ask a secondary question. We are playing as a trio and I'd say our end goal is to be doing epic elites in said trio. None of us are tanks, we're all going to be ranged/casters with one that can heal if need be. With that in mind are pure or 18 Rogue mechanics too squishy to be running around in EE's, which is why the Paladin option is so popular? Or can their DPS allow them to hang back in a group staying out of danger most of the time?

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 2:22am
Print Post  
vageta31 wrote on Feb 23rd, 2016 at 11:25pm:
None of us are tanks, we're all going to be ranged/casters with one that can heal if need be. With that in mind are pure or 18 Rogue mechanics too squishy to be running around in EE's, which is why the Paladin option is so popular? Or can their DPS allow them to hang back in a group staying out of danger most of the time?

Both have high enough dps to hang back without mobs reaching you. The rogue icon has faster move speed, and imp evasion. The pally has better self heal, and prr. neither will take a hit from LE mobs doing 4k before prr adjustment. might as well build glass canon with highest dps.

I don't think naming names would be a good thing for me to do, but I'd pretty much add anyone who's a know-it-all dick on the list.� Even if they are sometimes intelligent with their opinions, the way they state them in long, "i'm a lawyer at trial"-type posts makes me want to punch them in the face.� They act like whiney babies with god complexes and then freak out if someone so much as breathes criticism in their direction.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Rubbinns wrote on Feb 24th, 2016 at 2:22am:
might as well build glass canon with highest dps.

This.

The game is all about DPS. Everything else is only situationally useful.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Steel wrote on Feb 23rd, 2016 at 9:15pm:
Sneak Attack damage at 2nd level!

lol

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

RemRemi
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Feb 26th, 2016 at 5:58pm:
lol

Tina, a 2nd lev Gninja.  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2016 at 6:27pm by RemRemi »  

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Feb 24th, 2016 at 12:21pm:
The game is all about DPS. Everything else is only situationally useful.

True.  Sad as fuck, but essentially true.

IP Logged

RemRemi
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Steel wrote on Feb 23rd, 2016 at 9:15pm:
If you wait until next week you could make a Gnome Mechanic. They will get a +6 to hit & damage, and a +1 crit range on light repeaters, and light xbows. Also the color spray will be Int based DC so you can get groups of blinded mobs on demand for Sneak Attack damage at 2nd level! and blur for free at 2-3rd level. +4 intelligence, huge UMD bonuses and lots more.

Admittedly the Pally can be more survivable, but if you have been happy running a Mech so far it would be fine. 

GnxB:

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
So I've been running this build and have to say that for a heroic life, it's much slower going. The mostly rogue variant can just go full retard on damage from the get go, while the pally version has to spread out rogue levels to maximize skill points and the damage suffers because of it. If there is one nice thing, it's that I can just stand still in plate armor and let Archer's focus build to 15 while I tank all comers. Since I'm using sacred defense for now, I tend to get all the aggro while my compadres can fire away.

Also I just can't get on board with repeaters. Sure the numbers fly up, but it just doesn't have that punch that the great xbow has. Having leverage and divine artillery with no named repeaters probably makes the gap even worse. This build will sadly peak at 19-20 when I get both holy sword, assassin's trick and can reclaim the extra points in Harper tree for the int to damage. Only then will I be able to truly compare the 2 builds.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
vageta31 wrote on Feb 28th, 2016 at 4:57pm:
Also I just can't get on board with repeaters.

OMFG kill yourself right NOW, faggot!

IP Logged

Ire
Korthos Resident

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Cheesy

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
vageta31 wrote on Feb 28th, 2016 at 4:57pm:
Having leverage and divine artillery with no named repeaters probably makes the gap even worse.

Probably less than you think. The difference between single-shot and triple-shot volley is probably accounting for the majority of your perceived dps difference, and named vs. not-named only a very small amount.

TL;DR: It sounds like the GxB better suits your current play-style. This might change in epics, depending on how many sneak dice you can squeeze into your build and on your SA-enabling gear.

The single-shot of a GxB allows faster target-switching, and fewer volleys lobbed at a dead mob. However, you aren't gaining the full benefit of sneak dice on a Pally split. In heroics, that doesn't fucking matter. Mobs are dropping in 1-2 shots, regardless.

The repeater animation was fixed, but its targeting is still left over from the old animation. If you auto-attack, you will almost always fire a full volley of three at each mob after you kill it. Even on manual, you'll still do this pretty often, until you get a feel for when a mob will/will not go down and are able to switch targets while the killing volley is still in the air. The drawback is that this affects ROF. But if the first bolt of a volley kills a mob, the other two are subtracting from your dps.

That's always been a drawback to repeaters, but nonetheless, they smooth out the dps much better than GxBs. GxBs spike wonderfully on crits, but leave you unable position yourself with distance alone guaranteeing no mob will reach melee. Because spiky is more random. Additionally, the consequence of a 1 is full loss of dmg. With a repeater, even with a 1, you still deliver 2/3. In epics, the SA comes to shore up and smooth out the non-crit dps of the GxB, while the crits are even more wild! Meanwhile, the ROF is much closer to a repeater's, without the repeater's targeting drawback.

All combined, the GxB is the clear winner in epics. Unless you lack for sneak dice. Or unless your build takes big advantage of on-hit procs. (e.g. take a look at the GT build and why it sometimes switches out of a GxB for dispelling shot).

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #15 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Feb 28th, 2016 at 8:26pm:
Snip!

That's always been a drawback to repeaters...

I mostly agree with you, but the above is not true. There was a time when repeaters had a 3 bolt clip, but you had to click to fire each bolt individually.  I believe this was before you could simply hold down the mouse button to keep attacking. 

It had its ups and downs. I liked having to know how many bolts were in the clip before the reload animation. It brought a level of immersion you just don't get with the current setup. I did not like clicking repeatedly and wasting ammo to reload the clip between combats (back then it was a bigger deal than it would be today with Fletching, conjure bolts, etc.)

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #16 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
you can grab a needle from the anniversary event and on a pure rogue gnome with Needle you get very nice crit range and multi, fyi.

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
harharharhar wrote on Feb 29th, 2016 at 9:25pm:
you can grab a needle from the anniversary event and on a pure rogue gnome with Needle you get very nice crit range and multi, fyi.

I saw that but was heavily considering the quiver of alacrity as well. I do plan on TRing into a Gnome for the option of the light repeater crit and extra UMD from the get go, but it costs 17 points and you'd have to get rid of something else to afford it. Killer, KtA, some T5 Mech, etc..

It does sound pretty awesome, just have to figure out what to lose to still come out ahead. And in the end if your DPS isn't really any higher, was it even worth it.

IP Logged

Rubbinns
The Undeserving Fuckwit

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 12:13am
Print Post  
repeater is better on paladin icons. and was overall better before the fix, when doubleshot would apply to each bolt at full rate. Now it's down to 1/3rd.

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #19 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
That's true. But Needle is free right now, and people want deep gnome past lives. It's true Great Bows have ridiculous bugged SA damage, but the pure physical damage of Needle on a Gnome 18/2 or 20 Mechanic is pretty damn phenomenal right now.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #20 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 2:37am
Print Post  
no. wrote on Feb 29th, 2016 at 8:10pm:
I mostly agree with you, but the above is not true. There was a time when repeaters had a 3 bolt clip, but you had to click to fire each bolt individually.  I believe this was before you could simply hold down the mouse button to keep attacking. 

Second Edit: I think I figured out where the confusion is.

Revaulting wrote on Feb 28th, 2016 at 8:26pm:
But if the first bolt of a volley kills a mob, the other two are subtracting from your dps.

I intended to refer specifically to this sentence when I said, "That's always been a drawback for repeaters". The paragraph break muddled things.

Now I can delete the long-winded crap I had here before.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2016 at 2:57am by Revaulting »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint