Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Undead form and loss of "self" (Read 3241 times)
Rabbit
Korthos Resident

Loves to cuddle

Undead form and loss of "self"
Mar 8th, 2016 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
So I'm trying out this Pale Dwarlock build that was posted on the DDO forums but wanted to switch it over to SWF and use D.Axes with orbs. It's a Wizard/Warlock/Rogue trap able utility type of build that uses Enlightened Spirit for the glancing light damage and the various CON boosts.

It, as the name implies, also uses undead form. By the end of it you are in the melee mix in Wraith form swinging your axe and hitting eBlasts within your own death auras. Not really min/max but sounded fun and I'm using it in a static group of mostly auralocks for flavor.

Anyhow, someone has now informed me that I can't use Masters Touch to gain proficiency in undead form because I lose my "dwarfness". Anyone have an opinion as to whether this is WAI or a bug?

My rough feat list is:
.1. . . . : Single Weapon Fighting
.2 Warlock: Pact: Great Old One
.3. . . . : Empower Spell
.6. . . . : Precision
.8 Wizard : Maximize Spell
.9. . . . : Dodge
12. . . . : Improved Single Weapon Fighting
13 Wizard : Extend Spell
15. . . . : Improved Critical: Slashing
18. . . . : Toughness
18 Wizard : Quicken Spell
21 Epic . : Greater Single Weapon Fighting
24 Epic . : Overwhelming Critical
26 Destiny: Perfect Two Handed Fighting
27 Epic . : Intensify Spell
28 Destiny: Perfect Single Weapon Fighting
29 Destiny: Dire Charge
30 Epic . : Epic Toughness
30 Legend : Scion of: Plane of Fire

So I'm thinking I might swap out Dodge for D.Axes... or I might just say screw the orbs and swap SWF for THF and go with Great Axes instead.

Thanks for any suggestion. Well any helpful ones anyhow.

�
IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Re: Undead form and loss of "self"
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
drop epic toughness and take D Axe? Its not that many HP

IP Logged

Silky
Shroud Slacker

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Have you tried gaining prof before going undead form?

IP Logged

Rabbit
Korthos Resident

Loves to cuddle

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Silky wrote on Mar 8th, 2016 at 7:19pm:
Have you tried gaining prof before going undead form?

I'm currently only at level 4 as this is a static group toon. But the person who's tested this and is ahead of me (lvl 10 or 12 i think) has confirmed that casting MT either before shrouding, or after makes no difference. I understand that the d.axe is a different sort of beast than other weapons since it's basically supposed to be considered a martial weapon instead of exotic for dwarves so it seems to me this is a bug. A non melee calss elf with their racial longsword proficiency doesn't have this problem according to a quick veteran character roll up test... but in that case, the longsword is already a standard martial weapon.

I guess I was looking for confirmation as to whether it's WAI or a bug. But given that I'm leaning towards bug side and Turbine's track record with fixing bugs I guess it's a feat swap.

So now the question is... do I stay with SWF and orbs for the slotting ease, or switch out to THF?

�
IP Logged

Jiudark
Korthos Resident

Dislike Drama.

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 11:36am
Print Post  
That's not a bug.  The only dwarves who get dwarven war axe proficiency as martial proficiency are the warrior classes.  In DDO that'd be fighter, ranger, paladin, barbarian.

This is specifically listed in the in-game tooltip for this weapon.  "This axe is too large to be used in one hand without the special training that all dwarven warriors receive."

While written in the typical Turbine Vague-fashion, I recall years ago the wiki explaining what constituted "dwarven warriors" in the game.  Not sure why that information was edited out, but I see the wiki was altered last last year, so it could be a recent change the page editor thought "everyone" already knew.

Incorporate fighter (or other warrior class) in your build and you won't have to burn a feat getting the daxe proficiency.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2016 at 11:42am by Jiudark »  

IP Logged

Jiudark
Korthos Resident

Dislike Drama.

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I will add an opinion about light-imbued melee locks though, having done it twice myself.  You'll need/want to get Utterdark Blast in that mix to convert your base eldritch blast/aura damage to evil damage.  That way, you will only have to stack your pact damage spell type (fire/sonic/acid) and radiance.  Instead of pact/radiance/force.  Unless you really, really enjoy stacking three different types of spell power and three different types of spell lore, along with all the other standards heroes need gear slots for.

Next, you'll notice once you've gotten the eldritch burst and spirit blast (the so-called warlock "cleaves"), they pretty much mow down all targets.  Together with your aura ticking away every few seconds (eventually up to every two seconds depending on level splits), this will account for 99% of targets. 

The axe, or whatever is in your hands you intend(ed) to use to melee with is so utterly inconsequential I literally once carried a bouquet of flowers through a quest and did just as much damage as the axe (read: freaking none, cuz all targets were dead to aura/blast/burst).

Try it out anyways, but I hope this helps you avoid wasting a feat on an exotic weapon on a build that wrecks via magic damage, assuming you're not taking just 4 levels of warlock.

IP Logged

Rabbit
Korthos Resident

Loves to cuddle

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
I take 6 warlock levels in this build and there's no room for udderdark although I'm using it while leveling. Your understanding of d.axe proficiency seems skewed from what I understand. In essence, ALL dwarves treat them as Martial whereas other races treat them as exotic. My build assumed that already and that is why Masters' Touch is in my spell book.

The problem arises when I go into undead form. The game apparently removes the dwarfness from my undeadness if that makes sense and that puts the d.axe back into the realm of exotic which Masters' Touch can't fix. It may be working as intended or it may be a bug. I'll likely never know.

In any event, I'll take the proficiency for this run through as I am already using Rogue/Wizard/Warlock. It's not a game changer for this particular flavor build... just an unexpected twist.

�
IP Logged

Jiudark
Korthos Resident

Dislike Drama.

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2016 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Rabbit wrote on Mar 15th, 2016 at 12:49pm:
Your understanding of d.axe proficiency seems skewed from what I understand. In essence, ALL dwarves treat them as Martial whereas other races treat them as exotic.

It appears my knowledge is obsolete and your understanding is now (mostly) correct.  The only caveat is you still have to be a warrior or someone who has the ability to use Master's Touch spell/ability/enhancement to make doraxe "martial."

My first character (2009) was a dwarf cleric/wiz, and I recall using Master's Touch did nothing for him with regards to dorfaxe proficiency, as back then neither base class was a "warrior."  I wonder if the advent of the tree style enhancement configuration toggled all dwarves as "warriors" behind the scenes, as so much of their racial tree is warrior-centric.

In any case, I was wrong about why, but this situation still isn't a bug. 

Undead form means you are no longer your old race, so it makes sense you lost your dwarf-MT granted proficiency.

If it's not working even outside of undead form, then yeah, bug report it (since I was definitely wrong on MT giving exotic weapon proficiency...I just tested on a dorfwiz myself).

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Jiudark wrote on Mar 22nd, 2016 at 6:57am:
My first character (2009) was a dwarf cleric/wiz, and I recall using Master's Touch did nothing for him with regards to dorfaxe proficiency, as back then neither base class was a "warrior."  I wonder if the advent of the tree style enhancement configuration toggled all dwarves as "warriors" behind the scenes, as so much of their racial tree is warrior-centric.

If you take the EK enhancement that gives martial proficiency, then you should theoretically be able to Master's Touch a Dwarven Waraxe.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Jiudark
Korthos Resident

Dislike Drama.

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
That's probably very possible 5FS.  But back in the glory days of '09, we didn't have EK.  Shit, we didn't even have trees.  We had that wonderful list shit where you if you didn't know pre-reqs, you played hide and seek with enhancements.  Like Cleric Devotion I, II, III...how many do I need before Radiant Servant unlocks?  I so don't miss that list user interface at all.  Absolutely horrible.  And they used that system for years before someone looked at how every single other MMO out there was doing it with trees.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Jiudark wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 3:02pm:
That's probably very possible 5FS.  But back in the glory days of '09, we didn't have EK.  Shit, we didn't even have trees.  We had that wonderful list shit where you if you didn't know pre-reqs, you played hide and seek with enhancements.  Like Cleric Devotion I, II, III...how many do I need before Radiant Servant unlocks?  I so don't miss that list user interface at all.  Absolutely horrible.  And they used that system for years before someone looked at how every single other MMO out there was doing it with trees.

The "Show Unavailable" check box was not your friend?

The tree system made a bunch of options mutually exclusive and other good stuff became worthless due to dead-weight prereqs. Not to mention that the points spent progression is too steep and you usually have to take stuff you don't even want just to move up.

IMO, the tree system as-is needs more than 80 AP to support it. More like 100-120.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Yeah thank god it's now a carbon copy of that needlessly handholding shit. It offers less immediately visible info than ever now. Your complaint was remedied with one checkbox and a modicum of interest in finding out.

IP Logged

Jiudark
Korthos Resident

Dislike Drama.

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 3:20pm:
The "Show Unavailable" check box was not your friend?

I don't remember that box to be honest, but I do remember the challenge of not fucking up enhancements to get what you wanted. 

I much prefer the handholding tree system, regardless of what KG says.  I guess I just don't enjoy the metagame of enhancement hunting through lists as much as I enjoy actually playing.  Visible icons is much more efficient for me and I'm not alone, that's industry standard, so I must not be the only player who feels that way.  If that makes me stupid, then so be it.  I'll enjoy derping along with the unwashed masses being able to instantly see in pictures what I want to see.

If you'll excuse me now, my bib is soiled by the drool again and I need my caretaker to come help me change it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint