Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Severlin on lag fix (Read 14028 times)
AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Severlin on lag fix
Mar 18th, 2016 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Now that we've made changes to improve network pathing we will be looking at things tonight and going forward to see if this has improved.

Sev~

So this morning we did optimization work to clean up network pathing problems and open up new network paths that should have alleviate, if not solve, lag related to network pathing. Thank you for all the trace routes. At this point we will be watching tonight to see who is improved, who isn't, and whether or not there is still lag that is related to server performance rather than network pathing.

Sev~

To anyone who has played since, has there been any improvement?

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Re: Severlin on lag fix
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Could you include a link to said thread next time.
Thank you.

IP Logged

Illiterate
Titan Demolisher

Yataaaa

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
I'm getting more lag than usual.

IP Logged

Toke
Stormreaver Piker

... or maybe I was just
smoking something.

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Did belly on EE and actually finished it.

If you can roll it you can smoke it.  If you can carve it you can smoke with it.

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but
I'm not a fuckin' bastard

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/473027-Lag-after-data-centre-move/page...

"So this morning we did optimization work to clean up network pathing problems and open up new network paths that should have alleviate, if not solve, lag related to network pathing. Thank you for all the trace routes. At this point we will be watching tonight to see who is improved, who isn't, and whether or not there is still lag that is related to server performance rather than network pathing.
Sev~ "

Not buying any of this horseshit. Reports are still showing lag hasn't changed. Bugs and other broken mechanics are being ignored. Still not gonna reinstall DDO until sometime in June most likely. I'm still waiting for at the very least pinkslips given to some Turbine employees and I'm not talking about what Cordo-stain, Vagisil and Steelshit wear under their skirts

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
It's all bullshit, they wont' fire anyone.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Grand wrote on Mar 18th, 2016 at 6:45pm:
It's all bullshit, they wont' fire anyone.

If it was human error, they should.  But they probably won't.  I don't care.  I don't need people to get canned to be able to enjoy the game.  IF they fixed it, then it will be apparent pretty quickly.  I hope they offer some incentives for people to come back to the game.

If they haven't fixed it, then announcing they did would be a mistake.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2016 at 7:00pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Grand
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
I could care less if they fire anyone, but past behavior would indicate they wouldn't anyway. They only let people go for lay offs or budget. Look at the first months of IC, it was so mismanaged but no one got the boot until the whole thing tanked.

The part I find amazing is that no other game I play (too many) has any kind of lag like the turbine properties, not one. And when there is lag the players raise holy hell.

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
I'm just thinking ahead. How many other companies would tolerate this level of bungling and incompetence?  How many people would boast their masterful skills with non-verbal communication (IGNORING) the playerbase while making excuses during a passive aggressive insulting cheap shot anniversary event targeted at the main playerbase?

Getting rid of these individuals that apparently feel bulletproof would be an exceptional message to many and would certainly renew any opportunities of me spending real $$ on the game again once a new team came in, cleaned up the year long mess made and a serious apology was made along with some compensation. Not talking about +20 hearts, raiders boxes. I'm talking about giving out 500 astral shards, 2k-5k TP, 1 Ottos box for each toon and a token for a +7 tome of players choice.

Players got fucked out of so much because of ineptitude, greed and favoritism. Just look at fuckface Shoemaker and his rigged contest he won for a lifetime VIP cleared by Cordovan for proof of that. I'm speaking strictly from a high end business standpoint. DDO appears to be running like a Russian dry cleaner front business and not like the ground breaking game it was known for and could still be. The current game state is being taken into the wrong direction and driven into the ground. Want to change direction? Change the drivers in the middle of the desert and let those fuckers walk.

IP Logged

Dr_tank2vich
Puppy Farmer

I Love Darma!

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Whatever they did made it worse for me. Consistent log waits when changing zones.

"The court heard that Duffy has Asperger's syndrome and suffers with alcohol problems."

Or as we call it here: Mod status.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Having trouble logging in - I wonder if they have throttled the server load numbers as well?

If players can't log in, then I guess they can't complain about lag - at least that is how Turbine would see it.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Novalis wrote on Mar 18th, 2016 at 6:20pm:
Not buying any of this horseshit.

I concur.

The only thing the traceroute showed was that the issue is not in the front end network.

There might eventually be the remote possibility that there is an issue with the back end one...
But my tests yesterday in TS, Velah and Hound ( Epic or Legendary ) was that as soon as somebody hit the detection range or the agro range of a mob we had lag, and the more mob we had the more lag there was. So for me the issue is located in a bunch of old scripts that have been tinkered with a lot of time and that do not like the new systems.

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Novalis
Dragon Raider

I may be a bastard but

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:47am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:17am:
I concur.

The only thing the traceroute showed was that the issue is not in the front end network.

There might eventually be the remote possibility that there is an issue with the back end one...
But my tests yesterday in TS, Velah and Hound ( Epic or Legendary ) was that as soon as somebody hit the detection range or the agro range of a mob we had lag, and the more mob we had the more lag there was. So for me the issue is located in a bunch of old scripts that have been tinkered with a lot of time and that do not like the new systems.

Indeed and I can confirm this with my final personal experience in party weeks ago. I was in EE Vol and as soon as I encroached upon a room, rounded up the mobs in a nice bunch by getting aggro, Me and the entire party locked up in lag that persisted until almost everyone was dead which took about 5 minutes. Then I tried another tactic. This time I layed out the CC and AOE's before getting the aggro and then the rubber banding started, then came the lag lock. Even when the lag wasn't completely locking us up, my magic was next to useless. I was still casting nothing but my arms up in the air flailing like Kermit cheering or those dancing wind socks in front of car dealerships.

After that debacle I had all I could take. Uninstalled DDO and now only looking at what is in front of me. Quite liberating.

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 3:07am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Mar 18th, 2016 at 4:59pm:
Now that we've made changes to improve network pathing we will be looking at things tonight and going forward to see if this has improved.

Sev~

So this morning we did optimization work to clean up network pathing problems and open up new network paths that should have alleviate, if not solve, lag related to network pathing. Thank you for all the trace routes. At this point we will be watching tonight to see who is improved, who isn't, and whether or not there is still lag that is related to server performance rather than network pathing.

Sev~

To anyone who has played since, has there been any improvement? 

I'll let you know tomorrow when I try to raid again.

But I'm not hopeful based on the BS Sev put out to be eaten.

The only thing Turbine has control over wrt "network pathing" is inside the data center.  And since that is most likely leased space, not even then.

What they can do is to try to work with the owners of the data center, and their ISP.  Their ISP can in turn try to troubleshoot in cooperation with their peers, on the off chance that they see an issue that would require that kind of joint troubleshooting.

If they are just provided a termination point at the data center as opposed to a complete rack and stack service then they have control over everything downstream of that, and they could possibly fix bad cabling and/or poor switch configuration, which would have been entirely their fault in the first place and would have not been helped in the slightest by the traceroutes they have been asking for.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2016 at 3:14am by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Lag is the same. Raids are run shortman, if at all. Market freezes up, stuttering in Korthos and Harbor quests.

Whatever they did, it didn't fix anything.

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 4:30am
Print Post  
WeHaveLived wrote on Mar 19th, 2016 at 3:14am:
Lag is the same. Raids are run shortman, if at all. Market freezes up, stuttering in Korthos and Harbor quests.

Whatever they did, it didn't fix anything.

Damn, for Sev & the crew it's back to eating more pie while they think of something else technical sounding that they can use to troll the customers...

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Frank wrote on Mar 19th, 2016 at 3:07am:
If they are just provided a termination point at the data center as opposed to a complete rack and stack service

They rent space and connectivity, that's the typical datacenter contract. ( and the cheapest ones )

so they have a number of square meters where to put their equipments, and they have a number of fiber ( at a guess 2 ) linked to the datacenter infrasctructure. Said datacenter infrastructure is managed by the hosting company, everything in Turbine's cubicle ( for lack of better term, the space they occupy in the datacenter ) is managed by Turbine.

What is in Turbine's square meters can include routers load balancers, switches and any other notwork equipments Turbines seen fit to cram into it along with the servers. ( it does include at least 1 router and maybe two switches from what I've been able to guess, but there's probably more )

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 7:43am
Print Post  
Mob aggro does seem to aggravate. DA = freeze frame / slideshow for me. Which is how I play so, fuck this again. Wake me when they actually fix it, if ever.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Oh I just discovered a fun stuff while tinkering with nslookup ( DNS queries ) :

Code
Select All
> server 8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Serveur par dÚfaut :   [8.8.8.8]
Address:  8.8.8.8

> gls.ddo.com
Serveur :   [8.8.8.8]

Réponse ne faisant pas autorité :
Nom :    gls.ddo.com
Address:  198.252.160.23

> 192.252.160.23
Serveur :   [8.8.8.8]

Nom :    host-192.252-160-23.dyn.295.ca
Address:  192.252.160.23

>

I know why there's lag, they bought their IP range in Canada and it's a dynamic IP Range.
You can reproduce it at home easily : open a command prompt type nslookup and play.
Don't mind the first line ( server 8.8.8.8 ) as I got a weird result with my ISP DNS server I changed DNBS server to the Google DNS server,
the rest is the same weird result I got with my ISP server.

edit : Oh and the best is that 295.ca is an ISP...  Grin

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2016 at 9:02am by Flav »  

IP Logged

PersonaNonGrata
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Mar 19th, 2016 at 8:29am:
Oh I just discovered a fun stuff while tinkering with nslookup ( DNS queries ) :

I know why there's lag, they bought their IP range in Canada and it's a dynamic IP Range.
You can reproduce it at home easily : open a command prompt type nslookup and play.
Don't mind the first line ( server 8.8.8.8 ) as I got a weird result with my ISP DNS server I changed DNBS server to the Google DNS server,
the rest is the same weird result I got with my ISP server.

edit : Oh and the best is that 295.ca is an ISP...  Grin

So for us Internet Luddites, what does that mean?
Because it is dynamic IP, the potential DNS paths are constantly changing?
Is the ISP a budget ISP? 
Are they on a non-commercial service and don't have the bandwidth leased?
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2016 at 9:11am by PersonaNonGrata »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Well in all honesty, I suspect it's yet another failure from Turbine.

at guess I'd say that the adress block was attributed to 295.ca, and when Turbine decided to move to a new datacenter they bought the address range where they could... But they didn't check what use the ISP had for them before that ( dynamic IP for DSL/modem subscriber ).

said another way : sloppy work and monkey coding.

DNS answer one thing, reverse DNS query answer something else... somebody didn't check the reverse queries and didn't modify them.
It does not matter, as long as the DNS is right... the reverse queries are for Luddite like me that loves to poke at things.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Reply #21 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Post that on teh mobos please dude ..... plainly for the lols  Cheesy

IP Logged

WeHaveLived
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah, tell'em the Vault figured out their lag issue.  Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:11pm by WeHaveLived »  

IP Logged

harharharhar
Epic Poster

Girthless Trolllicker

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
if you think you can help them, please do Flav.

Or just tell me what to post and I'll do it

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #24 - Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
it has nothing to do with lag and fixing the reverse dns will not fix lag... it's just naming convention

DNS stands for Domain Name Service

It's what ties a domain/server name to a given IP

gls.ddo.com is tied to 192.252.160.23 198.252.160.23  ( see below ) since the change before that it was tied to another IP address.

There's several types of records that belongs to various usage in the name resolution :
you can get the full list here : https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1035  and here : https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1034 and learn a lot about DNS along the way )

When you play with nslookup you can get things like that :

Code
Select All
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 1,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
        ddo.com, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  ddo.com
        internet address = 198.252.160.57
        ttl = 1800 (30 mins)

------------
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
        ddo.com, type = AAAA, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  ddo.com
        ttl = 1800 (30 mins)
        primary name server = ns01.ddo.com
        responsible mail addr = root.ddo.com
        serial  = 2102003109
        refresh = 300 (5 mins)
        retry   = 900 (15 mins)
        expire  = 2419200 (28 days)
        default TTL = 10800 (3 hours)

------------
Nom :    ddo.com
Address:  198.252.160.57

I asked for the IP of the host named ddo.com

nslookup told me that it's IP address is 198.252.160.57... which just told me that I fucked up this morning...
as I typed 192.252.160.23 this morning, which gave me a wrong answer... That's what happens when you try to do network stuff before the morning coffee...

lets see now... I have set nslookup in debug mode, so it shows me the queries it's performing.
Code
Select All
> 198.252.160.23
Serveur :   dns-adsl-gpe2-a.wanadoo.fr
Address:  80.10.246.3

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 6, rcode = NXDOMAIN
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 1,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
        23.160.252.198.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  198.in-addr.arpa
        ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
        primary name server = z.arin.net
        responsible mail addr = dns-ops.arin.net
        serial  = 2016031249
        refresh = 1800 (30 mins)
        retry   = 900 (15 mins)
        expire  = 691200 (8 days)
        default TTL = 10800 (3 hours)

------------
*** dns-adsl-gpe2-a.wanadoo.fr ne parvient pas à trouver 198.252.160.23 : Non-existent domain
>

Well it's still fucked up, but not in the same way, it says that no domain is tied to the IP 198.252.160.23. ( NXDOMAIN )
So they didn't even bother to fill up the reverse records ( the PTR type )

Anyway, as I said it doesn't matter to players, only Luddite like me do revese DNS queries. DDO only needs the normal DNS records ( the A ones ) to work,
so having no PTR records doesn't matter.

For fun :
Code
Select All
> set type=MX
> ddo.com
Serveur :   dns-adsl-gpe2-a.wanadoo.fr
Address:  80.10.246.3

------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 9, rcode = NOERROR
        questions = 1,  answers = 3,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

QUESTIONS:
        ddo.com, type = MX, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  ddo.com
        MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = a.mx.turbine.com
        ttl = 1800 (30 mins)
    ->  ddo.com
        MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = ddo-com.mail.protection.outlook.com
        ttl = 1800 (30 mins)
    ->  ddo.com
        MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = b.mx.turbine.com
        ttl = 1800 (30 mins)

------------
ddo.com
        MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = a.mx.turbine.com
        ttl = 1800 (30 mins)
ddo.com
        MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = ddo-com.mail.protection.outlook.com
        ttl = 1800 (30 mins)
ddo.com
        MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = b.mx.turbine.com
        ttl = 1800 (30 mins)
>

I asked nslookup to give me the mail servers. There's 3 mail servers belonging to Turbine.
Interestingly the middle one tells me a lot.
Turbine uses Outlook and they have an external access, where they can connect to with their laptops/mobile devices as if they were in the internal network .
We have the same thing at work ( sadly I despise Outlook, so I can't use that, and I have to fire up the VPN every time I want to check my emails )
It also tells me that they are probably using Outlook365 and the rest of the Microsoft rented suite...  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2016 at 1:45pm by Flav »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint