Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Todays downtime humerous typo (Read 1773 times)
ElGuapo
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Todays downtime humerous typo
Aug 24th, 2016 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
on the DDO facebook page, the obvious bitching taking place about the restart taking forever.

one post made me laugh out loud.

someone mis-spelled Jury-rigged.

Josh Leavitt:: Maintenance is not the same as a restart guys! Good on you for fixing things but it still blows chunks

Joe Kidd:: what do u expect with a jerry rigged game u keep trying to restart it all the jerry rigs gonna screw up.

HAHAHA.

damned right its Jerry Rigged.    rofl

IP Logged

Jelly_Muffin
Stormreaver Piker

Just say fuckoff!

Re: Todays downtime humerous typo
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
only these cunts can turn a 'restart' into a 5 hour downtime .....

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
when you consider that a normal restart takes an hour... It's no surprise.

Last time I had a system doing a complete restart longer than that was in 1998.
( HP K570 server. 1h30 minutes between the shutdown -r -y now and the Console login: prompt and 50ish minutes was just spent watching Hex codes changing on a small 6 digit LCD display on the front of the thing )

I won't go into telecom equipments... lots of them are not designed to be restarted. ( said another way : once the initial start is performed you can only restart parts of them, not the whole thing... unless you stop it by cutting the power at the mains... and then its not fun to deal with the consequences )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Jerry rigged is a thing, and was actually used properly in the quoted context.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jerry–rigged

IP Logged

ElGuapo
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
well its bloody hilarious that jerry has this named after him.

Ive only ever seen it spelled Jury Rigged

IP Logged

eighnuss
Epic Poster

ด้้้้้ ͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩͩ
ÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠÍŠ

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 8:40am
Print Post  
i think the best part is that instead of automating it, they do it when the office opens

i picture like a bunch of idiots in scarfs gathering every wednesday with their coffees and standing around a monitor while one guy logs into each vm shutting everything down manually. litreally like 6 people getting paid 15 an hour and a free bagel to spend 3 hours infront of a monitor and the tech guy pressing restart over and over every wednesday, which will end up costing them tens of thousands very fast in man hours as opposed to just having it all scheduled and scripted and automatic during lowest server population time.

͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊͊DISCLAIMER: This post is provided �as is� for informational purposes only. The Department of Vault
Security (DVS) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within. DVS
does not endorse any commercial product or service referenced in this post or otherwise.ďżźďżź

IP Logged

Notinterested
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 10:28am
Print Post  
I like that the guy complaining about a misspelling then misspelt "humorous".

IP Logged

Frank
Puppy Farmer

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
eighnuss wrote on Aug 25th, 2016 at 8:40am:
i think the best part is that instead of automating it, they do it when the office opens

i picture like a bunch of idiots in scarfs gathering every wednesday with their coffees and standing around a monitor while one guy logs into each vm shutting everything down manually. litreally like 6 people getting paid 15 an hour and a free bagel to spend 3 hours infront of a monitor and the tech guy pressing restart over and over every wednesday, which will end up costing them tens of thousands very fast in man hours as opposed to just having it all scheduled and scripted and automatic during lowest server population time.

Or doing it like a professional company does:  Schedule it for the time frame when user volume is low, and have someone come in during a maintenance window to carry out the work.  Or even to just be there to clean up if any automation fouls up.  I've done that for telecoms where the number of 'servers' involved was in the thousands.  I'd write and have peer reviewed the maintenance plan during the day.  Then I'd come in during the maint window and fire off the automation, and then do clean up on the inevitable handful of machines that didn't take kindly to the process.

It's how any professional company would handle things.  But I guess their salaried people are all special snowflakes and can't be bothered to come in for a maint window once per update.

I suppose when you've thrown your hands up at the possibility of actually solving lag via code changes and have decided to just reboot everything once a week this would be more of a chore for the technical staff.  But then if they could actually fix the problem instead of band-aiding it once a week they'd be able to keep a more regular sleep cycle.

Or they could, you know, just do shit during the day when they customers are the most impacted.  Because fuck the customers, what the hell do they do for our business anyway?
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2016 at 12:56pm by Frank »  

No, let me be Frank.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:39pm:
I've had multiple RoSS rot just from doing the explorer points in Sands across multiple lives since it is exclusive.

Smart players know how to use buyback.

Digimonk wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 1:58pm:
I will not chone.

I did what I did intentionally and while my primary purpose was not to annoy the other Vaulties, I acknowledge that it was a side effect.

Smart people don't elicit "side effects."  They understand in advance the consequences of their actions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint