Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Quarterstaff Tactics builds? (Read 6332 times)
vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Quarterstaff Tactics builds?
Jan 17th, 2017 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Hey guys,

Looking to get back into DDO when U34 hits and wanted to try out some sort of quarterstaff build using trip/stunning blow but not sure how to best go about doing it. Let me say up front it will most likely be a first life build for fun running lower skull reaper(if possible) with a buddy. Reason being, I find I burn out on DDO much faster when doing TRs and playing my main characters, so this time I wanna just have some fun with first lives as well as enjoy somewhat of a challenge. I do have an elemental bloom sitting in my bank so I will probably pull that out at some point.

From what I've come up with, some sort of fighter/rogue combo is probably optimal. 18/2 or 16/4 perhaps. Also I get bored faster if I don't have something else to do besides swing a stick so trapping would be a nice addition. Was thinking str/int build to help with skills and harper tree for KtA tactics boost. Dump dex for heavy armor and focus more on PRR than evasion, etc..

On the other hand, maybe going full retard evasion is a better option for reaper as I won't have a ton of past lives to rely on for extra PRR/MRR. In this case maybe a few monk levels would help? though at the cost of losing some fighter levels. Seems like 16 is required for tactical supremency, but maybe KtA along with only 12 fighter levels is enough? Fighter 16/Rogue 2/Monk 2.. though not sure if monk 2 is really enough to bother with.

This is why I'm here asking for some ideas.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Re: Quarterstaff Tactics builds?
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Ftr12/Monk6/Rog2

Strength build

Do not try the patience of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:07am
Print Post  
I don't want to sound like a dick, but I think if you have your sights set on reaper as a first life character you will be disappointed with a flavor build like staff tactics.

If you are dead set on it though, it should probably be 20 monk.

I would recommend a mechanic for a 1st life friendly reaper viable build.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:17am
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:07am:
If you are dead set on it though, it should probably be 20 monk.

For a DPS Q-Staff build? Yes. 20 Monk is the way to go.

For Tactics-based Q-Staff build? No. The Tactical Training feats from Fighter are essential and the Tactics enhancement from Kensei is also helpful.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocation of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 11:17am:
For a DPS Q-Staff build? Yes. 20 Monk is the way to go.

For Tactics-based Q-Staff build? No. The Tactical Training feats from Fighter are essential and the Tactics enhancement from Kensei is also helpful.

20 monk can get a viable DC. Tactical Training would be more first life friendly though.

I wouldn't want to skimp on DPS.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2017 at 2:31pm by 5 Foot Step »  

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
One of my guildies who runs a hell of an eSoS Dire Charge fighter/monk/cleric build did some fairly extensive testing with a pure monk qstaff on Lama recently.  He said it was impressive and had a workable Dire Charge DC.

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Perhaps I'm trying to do too much with the build it seems. I don't want to go mechanic, I already have played a few lives as one. I also have an 12 monk/6 rng/2 fighter shuri build that's even stronger. Problem is those kinds of builds are too damn strong for any sort of challenge during heroic. I've blasted through heroic on ranged and warlock builds ad nauseam so I'm just looking to do it with a different type of build that is a bit more challenging.

At any rate, my mistake may be trying to do two opposing things at once. Maybe I should just focus on either qstaff or tactics instead of trying to do it in one build. Though I must say, is 20 monk necessary for a staff build, a couple levels of rogue to get the 15% attack speed and 25% doublestrike attack/buff seems hard to pass up.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
vageta31 wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
Though I must say, is 20 monk necessary for a staff build, a couple levels of rogue to get the 15% attack speed and 25% doublestrike attack/buff seems hard to pass up.

You don't need 2 rogue levels to get these.  +15% attack speed is in the Henshin capstone and Quickstrike is in the Henshin Tree.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2017 at 5:25pm by QuantumFX »  

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
vageta31 wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
Perhaps I'm trying to do too much with the build it seems. I don't want to go mechanic, I already have played a few lives as one. I also have an 12 monk/6 rng/2 fighter shuri build that's even stronger. Problem is those kinds of builds are too damn strong for any sort of challenge during heroic. I've blasted through heroic on ranged and warlock builds ad nauseam so I'm just looking to do it with a different type of build that is a bit more challenging.

At any rate, my mistake may be trying to do two opposing things at once. Maybe I should just focus on either qstaff or tactics instead of trying to do it in one build. Though I must say, is 20 monk necessary for a staff build, a couple levels of rogue to get the 15% attack speed and 25% doublestrike attack/buff seems hard to pass up.

Challenging in heroic and productive in reaper is a tough order. Maybe a deep splash Shiradi build?

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
So it seems the best option for me would be a pure monk, which I've always wanted to try but never had a reason to. Any recommendations in how to go about building them?

I want to go dex based with a few extra into int but I feel like people are going to tell me to go str instead due to requirements for power attack, THF, etc.. Also I'd love to use whirlwind attack for once, but not sure if it's worth the feats since I probably have to get power attack and cleave anyways.

IP Logged

Technomage
Epic Poster

And so it begins...

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
STR for Tripping DC, yes?

IP Logged

vageta31
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Technomage wrote on Jan 18th, 2017 at 4:56pm:
STR for Tripping DC, yes?

I gave up on the tactics part of the build based on everyone saying I can't really do both. Just focusing on a DPS quarterstaff build, though I may try to play with quivering palm.  Mostly I'm just wondering if I could get by without str by using precision instead of power attack and whirlwind attack instead of cleave.

IP Logged

Lelouch
Shroud Slacker

What is a moron? A person
playing ddo

Reply #12 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 1:53am
Print Post  
vageta31 wrote on Jan 18th, 2017 at 5:03pm:
I gave up on the tactics part of the build based on everyone saying I can't really do both. Just focusing on a DPS quarterstaff build, though I may try to play with quivering palm.  Mostly I'm just wondering if I could get by without str by using precision instead of power attack and whirlwind attack instead of cleave.

Whirlwind costs to many feats and its clunky on weapon users, the gain is to low vs the investment.
Qpalm requires dedication, i mean like really cr load stat points and tomes completionist max gear if you want to make it work above hard content, even some hard content might prove to hard to land on most mobs.
Tacticals are good even on  a staff user for primarly jade strike and other strikes like unballancing, if you got the ap to get tomb of jade, then its more then flawless (can encase orange named, pretty solid)

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Dex based isn't really an option for pure monk. Unlike TA, henshin does not get autogranted dex to hit and dex to damage and has no way to obtain it outside of a few trap named items (Breeze, Nat Gann, Chieftain Spear) that have very limited windows of usefulness.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

Digimonk
Puppy Farmer

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 20th, 2017 at 11:19am:
Dex based isn't really an option for pure monk. Unlike TA, henshin does not get autogranted dex to hit and dex to damage and has no way to obtain it outside of a few trap named items (Breeze, Nat Gann, Chieftain Spear) that have very limited windows of usefulness.

Umm... don't the first two cores in Ninja Spy give dex to hit and dmg or are they broken?

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Digimonk wrote on Jan 20th, 2017 at 5:17pm:
Umm... don't the first two cores in Ninja Spy give dex to hit and dmg or are they broken?

Huh...I thought they had the handwraps/staff caveat on those. My bad.

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #16 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Jan 20th, 2017 at 11:19am:

lol

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Jan 20th, 2017 at 7:31pm:
lol

But, but, but...Ninja Spy!
But, but....oh ok... Embarrassed

IP Logged

Bacon
Korthos Resident

lost, delicious, edible

Reply #18 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Okay, so if 20 monk THF stick heshin mystic. FoTW or Legendary Dreadnought?

I'm the useless fuck that has been supporting this dead game.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint