Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cleric theorycrafting (Read 1804 times)
Sailias
Dragon Raider

Cleric theorycrafting
Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Sup guys Smiley

I'm doing a pure cleric this life. I'm not really interested in splashing at all - 20 levels of cleric. If anyone has a compelling reason to splash, let me know, though, I can definitely be persuaded.

As far as viable in reaper, can someone who is more knowledgeable than me about divines chime in?

I have heroic completionist and almost epic completionist, plus +6 tomes for all stats.

My current plan is to just put everything into wisdom and be an evoker. My theorycraft is to be an elf, and use the arcane archer tree + para arrows for some CC in reaper. Is that something worth going for?

I see pure clerics sometimes at cap blinding things for extended periods of time. Is that just the spell "blindness" or is it from something else? I see Holy Smite has a 6 second blind, that's not long enough.

Blindness is great CC for reaper, where should I be focusing to get the most of it?

Has anyone tested Turn Undead in reaper? Are the DCs increased? I have a ton of legacy gear with +turn dice on it, and a cleric past life.

What should I be holding? What god should I be following? I went with elf and longbow just because ranged and I have a nice ML2 longbow, if I'm in heavy is 20 cleric durable enough to actually fight in melee? How are the new divine feats?

I'd appreciate any help at all here. Thanks for reading Smiley

monk changes 2016 for president

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Re: Cleric theorycrafting
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:32am
Print Post  
Already levelling one.

Heightened soundburst spell for CC. Soundburst SLA from EA is not as good.

Sunburst spell (DD core 5/6) for Permablind that you want.

If you want Evocation to matter, you'll have to get 41 AP in DD for the capstone.

If you want your Healing to matter then you'll need 32 AP in RS for Aura. This has a nice side effect of amping your selfhealing.

7 AP left to spare. Not enough to bother with AA tree and/or Paralyzing stuff. Unless you absolutely want to build around it. Then it won't be an evoker Cleric tho.

Ideal race is Deep gnome, but requires a +1 heart Sad

Turn undead has been useless since before even MoTu.

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:55am:
My current plan is to just put everything into wisdom and be an evoker.

OK.

My theorycraft is to be an elf, and use the arcane archer tree + para arrows for some CC in reaper.

Wait, which is it?  This contradicts what you said above.

Forget Elf.  Go Deep Gnome if you have it and are willing to spend the +1 Heart and play an Iconic.  Otherwise, go Human.  Forget about AA.

I see pure clerics sometimes at cap blinding things for extended periods of time. Is that just the spell "blindness" or is it from something else?

That's Sunburst from DD tree.  It's bugged, no-fail, permanent blindness.

Has anyone tested Turn Undead in reaper? Are the DCs increased? I have a ton of legacy gear with +turn dice on it, and a cleric past life.

Have not tested it, but probably works fine in Heroic Reaper.  But already in EE, it's pretty much useless.  If you invest heavily, maybe you can Turn 1, or even 2 things, but it's just so inefficient, it's not worth the massive build & gear investment.  Just use Undeath to Death or Implosion or Mass Frog on Undead, and use your Turns for other stuff, like healing for zero SP.

What should I be holding? What god should I be following?

Gear is a whole topic in itself I don't have time to get into right now.

For Deep Gnome, go Helm for the boost:
True Seeing, +5 Sacred bonus to Spot and Search, +4 Wisdom, +5 to Fortitude saves, and PRR equal to the number of Religious Lore feats you have

For Human, go Aureon, again for the boost:
+4 Wisdom, +3 to Spell Penetration, +4 to your effective level for Turn Undead, +4 to maximum Hit Dice affected when using Turn Undead, and +4 to the total Hit Dice affected by Turn Undead
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2017 at 10:43am by SirValentine »  

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:32am:

Yes.  And other CC options to also keep in mind are Greater Command and Cometfall, Power Word: Stun, and, in a few cases, Hold Person.

Oh, and I hear nice things about Burst of Glacial Wrath and Dire Charge; haven't tried them yet myself.

If you want your Healing to matter then you'll need 32 AP in RS for Aura.

Personally not that much of a fan of the aura.  I mean, it's fine, sure, but not at the cost dropping that many points in RS, or of locking out other T5s.  Even less so in Reaper where I'm not planning to be in aura-range of the people who actually need the healing.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:18am
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:53am:
OK.

Thanks for the help Smiley

Quote:
Wait, which is it?  This contradicts what you said above.

I have a concrete plan - evoker - and a theorycraft - para arrows. I'm ditching the theorycraft after these posts.

Quote:
Forget Elf.  Go Deep Gnome if you have it and are willing to spend the +1 Heart and play an Iconic.  Otherwise, go Human.  Forget about AA.

Makes sense.

Quote:
That's Sunburst from DD tree.  It's bugged, no-fail, permanent blindness.

Great to know, thank you.

Quote:
Have not tested it, but probably works fine in Heroic Reaper.  But already in EE, it's pretty much useless.  If you invest heavily, maybe you can Turn 1, or even 2 things, but it's just so inefficient, it's not worth the massive build & gear investment.  Just use Undeath to Death or Implosion or Mass Frog on Undead, and use your Turns for other stuff, like healing for zero SP.

Gotcha. I'll just be giving SP to people in early heroics, I guess Tongue

Quote:
Gear is a whole topic in itself I don't have time to get into right now.

No problem, you've been seriously helpful.

Quote:
For Deep Gnome, go Helm for the boost:
True Seeing, +5 Sacred bonus to Spot and Search, +4 Wisdom, +5 to Fortitude saves, and PRR equal to the number of Religious Lore feats you have

Non-iconic, thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote:
For Human, go Aureon, again for the boost:
+4 Wisdom, +3 to Spell Penetration, +4 to your effective level for Turn Undead, +4 to maximum Hit Dice affected when using Turn Undead, and +4 to the total Hit Dice affected by Turn Undead

Will do, thanks for the help. THis is a massively helpful post, thank you so much.

IP Logged

Sailias
Dragon Raider

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Already levelling one.

Sunburst spell (DD core 5/6) for Permablind that you want.

If you want Evocation to matter, you'll have to get 41 AP in DD for the capstone.

If you want your Healing to matter then you'll need 32 AP in RS for Aura. This has a nice side effect of amping your selfhealing.

7 AP left to spare. Not enough to bother with AA tree and/or Paralyzing stuff. Unless you absolutely want to build around it. Then it won't be an evoker Cleric tho.

Ideal race is Deep gnome, but requires a +1 heart Sad

Turn undead has been useless since before even MoTu.

This is a reaper life from level 1 (non-iconic) onward. Is Turn still useless at levels 1-10? 1-5? I have a static group together of pretty great people, and I nominated myself to be the healbot/cleric.

For non-iconic, I'm probably going to be going human for the bonus feat. I'm not worried about spell penetration at all (several wiz/sorc past lives) until deeper into the lategame.

The perma-blind shows up at level 18. CC before then will be much harder, I'd imagine, but from what I'm looking at spell-wise I think I can manage.

Thanks for the help so far, you and everyone else has been super helpful.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:25am by Sailias »  

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Sailias wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:24am:
This is a reaper life from level 1 (non-iconic) onward. Is Turn still useless at levels 1-10? 1-5?

Turn should be great in lower Heroics, even in Reaper.

Sailias wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:24am:
The perma-blind shows up at level 18. CC before then will be much harder, I'd imagine, but from what I'm looking at spell-wise I think I can manage.

Personally, I prefer Greater Command (starting at level 9) over Sunburst anyway.  Mobs wandering in random directions and only hitting half the time due to blindness is better than nothing, but mobs not moving or hitting at all is even better.  Or, as mentioned, Soundburst, which stuns so mobs take extra damage, though it's a shorter duration.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 11:53am:
Greater Command

Do you build enchantment school just for this spell alone for endgame?

SirValentine wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:59am:
I mean, it's fine, sure, but not at the cost dropping that many points in RS, or of locking out other T5s.

The main reason for me is that Aura is the staple of Clerics.
And it is my belief that both Radiant burst and Radiant Aura should have been Auto-grant class spell at levels 6 and 12 respectively.

IP Logged

Alex DeLarge
Epic Poster

Get ready for some of
the 'ol in-out, in-out

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
SirValentine wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:59am:
ven less so in Reaper where I'm not planning to be in aura-range of the people who actually need the healing.

Can you post your AP split for endgame cleric?

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Alex DeLarge wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:47pm:
Do you build enchantment school just for this spell alone for endgame?

I have no special build focus given to Enchantment, just lots of focus on Wisdom.  For gear, Slaver's Spell Focus gives +6 to every school, and the Legendary Mutilator of Minds gives +4 Insightful to Enchantment, plus +2 Quality to every school.

The thing is, mob Will saves are often much lower than their Fort saves, and a mass CC against a large group of monsters is still useful even if it only hits, say, 75% of the them.

Also, Greater Command is not only Enchantment spell to use.  Hold Person, preceded by an Energy Drain, is great for those pesky deathblocked Orange-named mobs (if they are the "person" type, of course).  And Symbols of Persuasion or Stunning have situational uses.

I wouldn't build an Enchantment-spec divine, because the options are fairly narrow, but they still are useful options.

Alex DeLarge wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:47pm:
The main reason for me is that Aura is the staple of Clerics.
And it is my belief that both Radiant burst and Radiant Aura should have been Auto-grant class spell at levels 6 and 12 respectively.

I wouldn't go as far as an auto-grant, but I think the suggestion I've seen that it should be the level 12 core in RS instead of a Tier 5 is reasonable.  I used to use the aura under the old enhancement system, when any level 12 Cleric could get it without locking themselves out of other useful class enhancements.

Alex DeLarge wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 12:48pm:
Can you post your AP split for endgame cleric?

Sure.  My personal build is Necro, rather than OP's planned Evo, but general idea is the same.

DD:  41 points, including Tier 5s & capstone.  Includes both DC boosts, both Wis boosts, Spell Pen, and random other misc crap to fill it out.  I go Dark, Evo would go Light.

WP:  12 points.  10 PRR, +1 Wis, a little bit of other stuff like hit points or Search.  (Not important, but I love it when I can find traps some Rogue can't.  Having a 114 Search on a pure Cleric is fun!  It's mostly just gear, but still.)

RS:  13+ points.  Radiant Burst & +1 Wis account for 13.  Divine Healing.  A bit of other junk.  I think I currently ended up around 15 total, instead of 13 on the nose.

Deep Gnome Racial:  6+ points.  +2 Wis for 6, other stuff to taste; lots of decent options here, actually.  Can shift a few points back to RS if you really want to, but there isn't enough to get another +1 Wis.  Think I currently end up with 12 in Racial.

When I was Human on a previous life, it was 22-24 RS (getting both Wis bumps takes 22), with 3-5 in Human (+1 Wis takes 3)

EDIT as of U35:

Once you have at least 1 Racial AP, as a Deep Gnome you can squeeze out 1 more Wis enhancement by going 41/22/12/6.

Or on a Half-Elf, if you have at least 7 Racial AP, 41/22/12/12 gives you +1 Wis over Human, though down a feat.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2017 at 9:07am by SirValentine »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint