Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How to deal with @lvl r10 dreams of insanity? (Read 10592 times)
hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

How to deal with @lvl r10 dreams of insanity?
Apr 13th, 2017 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Static group and I decided to do r10 dreams of insanity at level the other day to spice up our r3-r5 usual grind (we like to mix in a r10 every 3-4 levels or so just for fun).

First attempt: failed on end fight due to trying to kill respawning beholder and hounds. Respawns happened near instantly and on second round, all of them were champs. Cyclonic blast damage in the 1000s. After a few jibbers and retries we ended up just going for a clean instance.

Second attempt:
HOLY hell this was hard. We started out by cheesing the named beholder (got lucky on a bluff roll). Then we had someone intim the respawning mobs (thrashk hounds and beholder) and aggrohold through walls and pillars.

Finally we cleared the rafters by using charms and a few pks. By about this time our person kiting the respawning mobs died. Our ioun stones were out of charges. We were absolutely fucked by the beholder and hounds.

Ended up using all 4 of our jibbers to pull the remaining switches taking advantage of the bugged respawn aggro.

We finished but with a bitter taste in our mouths. I don't like using cheese. How do you think this could be done without cheese?

We had 3 locks (no fts as lvl 10 and we all took evards), 1 barb, and 1 arti. (And 1 worthless bear form druid pug that died 52 times). Possibly swapping out one of the locks for a sorc with high transmutation and enchantment might do the trick. Or having 2 locks with fts.

Definitely can't kill as respawns are basically instant in their on r10. Stunning blast from warlock actually works pretty well but depravity cost at lvl 10 is not sustainable. Its too slow on the recast. AND its only single target. I would say fear but it wasn't landing convincingly/reliably.

Alternatively having spell absorption trinkets (scarabs) would work but that's not a satisfying win either. Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: How to deal with @lvl r10 dreams of insanity?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Spec conjuration and use webs.  Conjuration Acid sorcs are one of my favorite classes so when I did warlock, my conjuration DC ended close to 90.  Since then I've seen a few people following suite.  Bottom line is that you can secondary spec EVocation without having to worry to much since dps is  not usually a problem.

IP Logged

hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 11:57pm:
Spec conjuration and use webs.  Conjuration Acid sorcs are one of my favorite classes so when I did warlock, my conjuration DC ended close to 90.  Since then I've seen a few people following suite.  Bottom line is that you can secondary spec EVocation without having to worry to much since dps is  not usually a problem.

Web lasts 6 seconds in reaper 10... and 2 of those 6 seconds are wrapped up in animation. Now there's a chance it would work if a sorc just literally sat there spamming them the entire fight but I don't know it sounds doubtful to me.

I agree though that having a sorc would be better than triplicate locks in this case. Any other ideas?

IP Logged

Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:15am
Print Post  
hydra wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:05am:
Web lasts 6 seconds in reaper 10... and 2 of those 6 seconds are wrapped up in animation. Now there's a chance it would work if a sorc just literally sat there spamming them the entire fight but I don't know it sounds doubtful to me.

I agree though that having a sorc would be better than triplicate locks in this case. Any other ideas?

Dont do R10...  Cheesy   But for the record I meant have the warlocks load up gear etc for conjuration instead of evocation.. then grab use quicken and extend (would make it 12 seconds?) then blanket the place since I assume spell points is not an issue due to the orbs.  Maybe have one of the warlocks do that just keep multiple webs around at least it will slow them and beholders get caught easily in em.   I have not tried to punish myself w/ R10 but I can say that my warlock was pretty much unstoppable with a near 90 Conjuration DC at end game since DPS is already overkill for warlocks it was just a matter of keeping a handle on things.

IP Logged

hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:33am
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:15am:
Dont do R10...  Cheesy   But for the record I meant have the warlocks load up gear etc for conjuration instead of evocation.. then grab use quicken and extend (would make it 12 seconds?) then blanket the place since I assume spell points is not an issue due to the orbs.  Maybe have one of the warlocks do that just keep multiple webs around at least it will slow them and beholders get caught easily in em.   I have not tried to punish myself w/ R10 but I can say that my warlock was pretty much unstoppable with a near 90 Conjuration DC at end game since DPS is already overkill for warlocks it was just a matter of keeping a handle on things.

First: you can't extend web.

Second: even if you could extend web it would double the base duration and then reaper duration reduction would apply. It would end up being 60/8.5 = ~7 seconds.

Third: We typically do r3 to r5 depending on the quest. R10s are a 4-5x a life type of thing just for fun. As r3-r5 is rather methodical, and get a bit grindy after a while.

Fourth: R10 there is no such thing as dps overkill. To put it into perspective, your dps is reduced by a factor ~13. There are a lot more champs - which means avg mob health also goes up.

Fifth: Warlocks can't keep a perma web up on reaper. Cd is 7.5 seconds, even with arcane alacrity -> 6.75 seconds. Duration is fixed at 6 seconds. Sorcerer could do it with a cd of 3.5 seconds.

IP Logged

Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:52am
Print Post  
You asked for a suggestion...  Conjuration.   Physical based spells that you can place and avoid that will keep distance between you and the mobs.  Back in the old days we used Solid Fogs and it works nicely if you have a sorc but most people have no idea and don't use it. 

Your warlocks could use grease or sleet storm.. again not on the group.. tactically placing them to give yourselves breathing room. 

You asked for a suggestion there it is.  Sleet storm's duration I would assume is a fog so I assume its much longer than web even in R10. 

Grease and solid fog slows mobs down immensely unless they've been warded with FOM.    Find stuff in the warlock spell book that circumvents DC's, or as I said even have one of them focus on control with conjuration rather than Evocation.   

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:15am:
I have not tried to punish myself w/ R10

That's all you needed to say.

Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Frank wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 8:32am:
Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Well Daggertooth is a fucking retard.

~~
~~

Hydra you're a good player, so the only real answer is...

git gud

~~
~~

Your best bet is to finish it as quick as possible so that the tank can keep going. Remember that a warforged / undead get nice immunities versus beholders. You need to have a tank that is tanking sustainably.

I find that the key to solving r10 is always a tank/healer deal with some geometry cheese if possible and then as much dps / instakills as possible.

Besides that... ...I'd bring a wizard. Level 11 quest, so a wizard would have 2 level 6 spells and then an assortment of lower level spells.
Unfortunately, at that level, your DCs aren't gonna be no-fail.
With like a 42 DC in heroics I've been failing quite a bit on my wizard in r6. Wizzy needs to get creative.

OUR GOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q
Right of Self-determination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bqQ-C1PSE

volt_ wrote on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Be a container for your genes to control your behavior in order to reproduce

IP Logged

Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 10:58am:

~~
~~

git gud

~~
~~

Your best bet is to finish it as quick as possible so that the tank can keep going. Remember that a warforged / undead get nice immunities versus beholders. You need to have a tank that is tanking sustainably.

I find that the key to solving r10 is always a tank/healer deal with some geometry cheese if possible and then as much dps / instakills as possible.

Besides that... ...I'd bring a wizard. Level 11 quest, so a wizard would have 2 level 6 spells and then an assortment of lower level spells.
With like a 42 DC in heroics I've been failing quite a bit on my wizard in r6. Wizzy needs to get creative.

Yeah I'm a retard saying use something like grease and sleet storm i.e. things that provide an effect without relying on a DC that is available to the group they are currently running with i..e no Wizards.. which is actually based on almost 12 years of experience playing the game utilizing mechanics that we took advantage of when the game first came out and we were actually challenged..

Uh huh I'm a retard... soooo... why you don't you elaborate on these level 6 wizard spells that are going to be such game changers?   Disintegrate that will never ever land?   Please enlighten us all you fucking moron  since my actual fucking great and applicable advice that was based on 12 years of playing the game that you called "geometry cheese" is considered retarded. 

So oh enlightened ascended master please tell us about these level 6 wizard spells that is better advice than what I said. Im honestly intersted if you have anything of value to add or if your just a complete fucking moron.

IP Logged

Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 2:38am:
That's all you needed to say.

Not really, since actually having 12 years of experience and actually being the one who innovated half the shit that you were taught by your gay buddies carries *a little* more weight than grinding wiz king ad nauseum to get a few more numbers to do R10 since you yourselves said relying on Geometry cheese is the way to go.

I said grease and sleet storm... which actually would make an applicable difference in R10 which was based on the solid fog strategy that we were using when you were still probably getting rammed in the ass by your junior high school PE teacher. 

Swallow this one.. I don't have to do R10  and I'm still light years ahead of you in understanding of the game.

Edit: The only thing intelligible that you could possibly tell me would be that mobs get an FOM ward in R10 which I am pretty sure they don't.   But if they did I would say ah, well than no your correct.  As of now aside from your fucking 'geometry cheese' I am the only one who has mentioned an applicable strategy that might actually apply to R10 and am playing the game as its meant to be played.   Funny I havent even attempted R10 and yet I have already managed to handle it  far better than any of you

And one final Edit:  The reason I haven't attempted R10 is not becuase I dont have the skill.  Its because I am not interested in wasting my time in something that is poorly developed.   If R5-R6 is any indication, it plainly shows they should have quit while they're ahead because anything more than that is nothing more than tedious and stupid.   Utilizing the environment is not "geometry cheese" it actualy starts to reflect what a real role playing game is all about, using what is available, but whch of course like most things in DDO, probably eluded all of you entirely.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2017 at 3:00pm by Daggertooth »  

IP Logged

hydra
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 10:58am:

~~
~~

git gud

~~
~~

Hmm wf wizard using flesh to stone and mass suggestion might work. And the rest of us just blitz the runes with our ioun stones. Might give that a try next life. How's wiz in r3-r5? I'm fine gimping my group a bit but I always got the feeling that wiz sorta sucked until you got mid level and were doing r5+?

Thanks for the actual help/tips.

IP Logged

Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
hydra wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 3:11pm:
Hmm wf wizard using flesh to stone and mass suggestion might work. And the rest of us just blitz the runes with our ioun stones. Might give that a try next life. How's wiz in r3-r5? I'm fine gimping my group a bit but I always got the feeling that wiz sorta sucked until you got mid level and were doing r5+?

Thanks for the actual help/tips.

Oh god I'm having flashbacks to when Epic first came out and my conjuration arch wiz was criticized because he was cc'ing with web instead of Mass Hold... I could never understand why people would have a problem with Web until I realize their melees  were so puny and pathetic that they needed the caster to use Mass hold to get their dps in the same league as my fighter ( I was using Dual WOE scims at the time, something that was also "criticized" by bumpkin kopesh users)( check the forums for that one for some real entertainment).   Good times.   Seems nothing changes.

IP Logged

Cripey
Shroud Slacker

Fuck you, thats my name.

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:27pm:
Oh god I'm having flashbacks to when Epic first came out and my conjuration arch wiz was criticized because he was cc'ing with web instead of Mass Hold... I could never understand why people would have a problem with Web until I realize their melees  were so puny and pathetic that they needed the caster to use Mass hold to get their dps in the same league as my fighter ( I was using Dual WOE scims at the time, something that was also "criticized" by bumpkin kopesh users)( check the forums for that one for some real entertainment).   Good times.   Seems nothing changes.

Keep telling us you're a special snowflake, someday maybe you can be a real boy.

Grands Superhero IRL

Or as they say in Ireland -
Derp derp derp derp. Yellow moons. Lassie.

Hordo wrote on Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:07am:
EDIT: BTW I love your post.  It reads as if English is your 3rd language behind gibberish and dipshit.

majmalphunktion wrote on Mar 20th, 2014 at 6:11pm:
what the fuck guys...

Jeesus fucking shit. This shit gets me called to the principals office.

Assholes.

IP Logged

Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Cripey wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:41pm:
Keep telling us you're a special snowflake, someday maybe you can be a real boy.

Sure, but first tell me what is wrong with the suggestion of having one of the existing warlocks respec into Conjuration, with additional support using webs along with strategic placement of grease and sleet storm instead of relying on "geometry cheese"  Cool

As I said in my original post, my version of warlock has a 90 conjuration DC for webs at end game and can pretty much roll over whatever (both my sorcs and warlocks roll with 2 lvls of monk and 2 lvls of Paladin for evasion and saves).

What I see time and time again here  is "why can't my warlock do this" and "why can't my warlock do that".   Being that 99% of the people here have a negligible understanding of the game and rely on what they are told and call someone who has played from the beginning and innovated and came up with most of the new concepts over the years a retard ( stemming from actual experience playing the game, not playing "Tupaks" build or whatever the fuck you mudsharks do) yeah I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.  Grin

EDIT : And before you start spouting off about your tanky warlock with PRR and a shield and your idiot Auras... lets just agree that they're different playstyles.  I avoid damage and keep things under control with CC while you attempt to absorb damage, do your aura/aoe crap and then come to the forum to ask questions  when you get ripped apart by the mob of drow archers in Servants of the Overlord.   Cheesy

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2017 at 6:55pm by Daggertooth »  

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:27pm:
Oh god I'm having flashbacks

Your service is appreciated. PTSD is rough. Try to stay away from keyboards until you stop freaking out.

Silence is golden, but I only get silver rolls.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Being that 99% of the people here have a negligible understanding of the game and rely on what they are told and call someone who has played from the beginning and innovated and came up with most of the new concepts over the years a retard ( stemming from actual experience playing the game, not playing "Tupaks" build or whatever the fuck you mudsharks do) yeah I'm pretty fucking sure I am a special snowflake.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

SirValentine
Korthos Resident

Never.

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 2:49pm:
being the one who innovated half the shit that you were taught by your gay buddies

I think the ancient Greeks had all that stuff worked out a couple dozen centuries back.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 3:06am
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Apr 14th, 2017 at 2:45pm:
Yeah I'm a retard saying use something like grease and sleet storm i.e. things that provide an effect without relying on a DC that is available to the group they are currently running with i..e no Wizards.. which is actually based on almost 12 years of experience playing the game utilizing mechanics that we took advantage of when the game first came out and we were actually challenged..

Uh huh I'm a retard... soooo... why you don't you elaborate on these level 6 wizard spells that are going to be such game changers?   Disintegrate that will never ever land?   Please enlighten us all you fucking moron  since my actual fucking great and applicable advice that was based on 12 years of playing the game that you called "geometry cheese" is considered retarded. 

So oh enlightened ascended master please tell us about these level 6 wizard spells that is better advice than what I said. Im honestly intersted if you have anything of value to add or if your just a complete fucking moron.

I'll grant you that someday your farts might be worth sniffing, but you're so fucking retarded its not worth it.

Let me be clear. Giving chest-puffy advice on something you have no experience in is fucking retarded.
Like fucking retarded.
Didn't get it?
Fucking retarded.

Take a deep breath and take your pants off. Or something, I don't know lol
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2017 at 3:11am by WonderfulFoppyBint »  

IP Logged

Daggertooth
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 8:28am
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 3:06am:
I'll grant you that someday your farts might be worth sniffing, but you're so fucking retarded its not worth it.

Let me be clear. Giving chest-puffy advice on something you have no experience in is fucking retarded.
Like fucking retarded.
Didn't get it?
Fucking retarded.

Take a deep breath and take your pants off. Or something, I don't know lol

Thats where your wrong.... being one of the first pioneers of real Epics as it was many years ago, i.e. the high level Epics, I can actually give advice on R10.   And I don't need to waste my time doing it either.   

I'm actually not one bit impressed with the people who actually do R10.  Go think about that for a while.   I've played this game enough to know the mechanics so well, to know what is possible in terms of skill and what is just mindless grinding and tedium, that I can actually say I'm better than the people who do R10 w/o actually having to attempt it myself.   So go smoke that one.   I've contributed so much to this game... so many of you who are actually using techniques and strategies that I pioneered that I don't even have to bother running R10.  Cheesy

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #19 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Daggertooth wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 8:28am:
Thats where your wrong.... being one of the first pioneers of real Epics as it was many years ago, i.e. the high level Epics, I can actually give advice on R10.   And I don't need to waste my time doing it either.   

I'm actually not one bit impressed with the people who actually do R10.  Go think about that for a while.   I've played this game enough to know the mechanics so well, to know what is possible in terms of skill and what is just mindless grinding and tedium, that I can actually say I'm better than the people who do R10 w/o actually having to attempt it myself.   So go smoke that one.   I've contributed so much to this game... so many of you who are actually using techniques and strategies that I pioneered that I don't even have to bother running R10.  Cheesy

Oh shit this is grand trolling me.

IP Logged

5 Foot Step
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Hate Idiots!

Reply #20 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Daggertooth invented casting Grease AND Sleetstorm?  Roll Eyes

Build links
Endgame Gear Guide
Cannith Crafting Planner link

Warning: May contain outdated cultural depictions.

IP Logged

WonderfulFoppyBint
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Poooop

Reply #21 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
5 Foot Step wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 12:36pm:
Daggertooth invented casting Grease AND Sleetstorm?  Roll Eyes

lol +1

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #22 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
WonderfulFoppyBint wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 9:55am:
Oh shit this is grand trolling me.

Salute our vets.

IP Logged

Ah Pook
Puppy Farmer

Reply #23 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Revaulting wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:24pm:
Salute our vets.

The only way Grand could impress me now is if he were LeslieWest all this time.

Laugh it up, funny man.

IP Logged

Revaulting
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Reply #24 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Ah Pook wrote on Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:25pm:
The only way Grand could impress me now is if he were LeslieWest all this time.

The only way he could impress me is if he refrained from contributing a few comments from socks on a thread he started with a sock.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint